DC Cook

Above Average
36 (34.3%)
Average
29 (27.6%)
Below Average
40 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: DC Cook  (Read 173457 times)

LaFeet

Re: DC Cook
« Reply #50 on: Mar 29, 2006, 02:34 »
I have not been there yet... FOG tried to lure me there, maybe this fall.

mzznlink

« Reply #51 on: Mar 30, 2006, 09:56 »
Anyone have the particulars on what exactly hapened?

Offline Duct-Tape

• Light User
  • Silence is golden, Duct-Tape is silver.
« Reply #52 on: Mar 30, 2006, 12:48 »
Nuclear power has taught us all alot of hard lessons.  Being thorough and taking the time to do so actually cost less in the long haul.  Law of gravity. What goes up must come down. 

Quote of the day.  "All accidents are preventable"

Hope nobody got hurt.
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2006, 12:58 by msm10 »
So you wanabe a HP...

RadTrashMan

« Reply #53 on: Mar 30, 2006, 03:27 »
To all of you who missed PW Hoppe, your dreams are answered. The Hoppster will be back holding court over the RTD replacement starting Monday.

I hear he is willing to give personal tours of the Friendly Tavern in Coloma.

We'll miss you at the NTS and Pahdump.  Via Con dios, bubblehead.

Pap

Offline nuke_girl

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #54 on: Mar 30, 2006, 10:52 »
can someone tell me what happened at Cooke?? I have many friends there for the outage and family also...now im worried...did someone get hurt?? ..im gonna log off and call now.
It is better to light one small candle..than to curse the darkness

Offline radbitch

• Heavy User
« Reply #55 on: Mar 31, 2006, 07:16 »
Well we all know how rumors go.... so here is the rumor that we heard:

Rumor control here has it that they dropped one of the missle shield blocks, it hit the head and tore the liner????????????

What's the real story?????????? ANYBODY got any info?????
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2006, 07:17 by radbitch »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #56 on: Mar 31, 2006, 12:25 »
A 35-ton concrete shield fell 15 feet onto the floor of D.C. Cook Nuclear Power Plant in west Michigan after the rigging on a crane failed earlier this week.

Nuclear Regulatory Commission spokesman Jan Strasma said the mishap occurred as workers were removing the last of three shields, which protect the entrance to the core of the Cook unit No. 2 -- one of two Cook plant reactors near Bridgman, on Lake Michigan's shore. The shields were being removed Monday in preparation of routine removal of old nuclear fuel rods from the core.

Strasma said there was never any danger to the public or plant workers, but that it was unclear whether there was damage to the building's floor.

On Thursday, plant workers were repairing the faulty rigging. Once they lift the fallen block, they will assess the damage, Strasma said. The reactor had been taken off-line for the fuel removal and will remain off-line until the damage can be assessed, he said.

Bill Schalk, spokesman for Cook, said there was no immediate indication of structural damage.

Jr8black3

« Reply #57 on: Apr 01, 2006, 07:42 »
Opps,,, I hope it wasn't any of my homies that inspected that rigging,, I'am sure somebody is jobless...but 30 day outages lends it hand to many mistakes..Thank God nobody was hurt.

Offline nuke_girl

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #58 on: Apr 02, 2006, 08:38 »
ok i called home to Michigan and noone got squished but they did lose the missile shield due to faulty rigging...im just so grateful no one got hurt ~!~ Thanks to everyone for answering :)

K
It is better to light one small candle..than to curse the darkness

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #59 on: Apr 08, 2006, 09:08 »
Rent is reasonable for the area.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #60 on: Apr 12, 2006, 08:21 »
Close to Chicago and South Bend. Nice area in spring and fall.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #61 on: Apr 14, 2006, 12:23 »
Its a good time, see ya there.

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
  • Stop Talking, Just Do It!!!
« Reply #62 on: Jul 13, 2006, 04:08 »
Hubby and I will both be there this Fall.  It's our "home plant", so no PD, but at least we get to stay home, in our own bed.  Plus, we have the two babies to NOT travel with YAH!!  Anybody else going?

See ya there!!

Lorrie

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
« Reply #63 on: Jul 13, 2006, 11:54 »
cook sux! bottom line!
the only totally cool person there is Mrs. Asa1...
The plant & the mentality of a majority of the HT there is awful...Management was the worst!..Have fun anyone who goes!

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #64 on: Aug 22, 2006, 04:05 »
For those of you coming to cook this spring

The next outage starts September 16th 2006 :o
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Jr8black3

« Reply #65 on: Sep 02, 2006, 01:59 »
 Right now I wish I was under Pats command... I messed up I should have came back this fall to be with my granny,, Instead I chose to be a hard nose and stick it out here at Plum Brook..I've only quit one job in 20 years so I can't keep these people hanging..But one day I'd love to go back there and work an outage.. I'd love to see ole Dougy and do some fishing, or Rambo,, and sporty..

Sorry folks just to busy this year,, damn I want to come back, after all it is HOME...

Ya'll take care up there and have a great outage.

Kevin

PS. People wish they could learn what we learned at that place  8)

Jr8black3

« Reply #66 on: Sep 06, 2006, 08:43 »
Butch is a great guy, any tech would love to work for him. I first seen him as a tech, then as a site manager. I'am sure he don't remember me after all these years. But I like to feel people get better with years so I can only Imagine how good he is now.

88 at ANO was the last time I seen him.

Best of luck to ya Butch.

Kevin

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
« Reply #67 on: Sep 08, 2006, 06:56 »
My husband is currently working the Cookie Outage.  I'll ask him if he knows who Butch is and make sure that Butch knows you guys are talking about him....of course since he posted a job on nukeworker, he's probably already read this thread, but it won't hurt to give it a personal touch.

Lorrie :)

irishfan

Re: DC Cook (Donald C. Cook)
« Reply #68 on: Nov 15, 2006, 08:48 »
  Hi All!  This spring was my frist time back at Cook for 4 years. 
Wow talking about a lot of changes - procedures and paper work and the training is a bit long but, Very Good.  You know what they want from you before you get in the door. 
  There are a lot of management changes and they say they aren't schedule driven any longer but...we all know the truth there.  Some of the managenment changes are there are too many chefs and not enough soux chefs!  I'll let it go at that.
  I was glad to see that the house tech group is still a lot of great people.  They will help you any way they can.  It sure was nice to go home and feel like I was at home again.  The contractors are welcome by everyone there.  And they are glad to have our help.  Can't have a better feeling then that at work.

Offline biloxoi blues

• Moderate User
  • Engineer (self proclaimed)
« Reply #69 on: Nov 15, 2006, 10:17 »
Hey ASA1 and Mr. ASA ,  Yeah its been awhile since Ive been there, but I did enjoy my stay or I wouldnt of stayed so long, what 8 months?   You guys knew not to send me through that mock up or I would of had to leave earlier because you know how "Pitiful" I am.  Now when I say I enjoyed it might not mean much to most HP techs.  I enjoyed staying in Benton Harbor (beautiful place), enjoyed deconning, enjoyed humping lead, enjoyed hauling those large laundry and trash bags ( because we always waited to the end of the day).  On the serious side I did enjoyed the techs there, but being there so long you got to know them, which you dont do in a regular outage.  I remember the football fantasy draft at the bowling alley with Big Head ED , Singer, The Stick , Mr. Happy and others.  I hope everyone at the Cook is doing well and hopefully I will make it out there again.  As one of the Cook's RPMS told us on a Sunday morning "This ain't no country club." 

Offline nickthestick

• Light User
  • Don't hate the player, hate the game!!
« Reply #70 on: Nov 15, 2006, 12:48 »
Biloxi, we loved havin' you!! Still the same football league going. But it's nothing like what it was those 2 years
with Big Head ED...I can't see, I can't hear..Hoping you'll come back sometime, you and your brother. your old stomping grounds is gone "The Orchards" coldest beer in town.. C'mon back
Stick

Offline biloxoi blues

• Moderate User
  • Engineer (self proclaimed)
« Reply #71 on: Nov 15, 2006, 02:31 »
Tell everyone hi and tell them to take it easy on me on the mock up.  I will try to make it up there.  You still married and how many kids now?  You know I will be looking for a room preferably Gator wallpaper.  Take care, tell Mangold and Zing hi.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #72 on: Nov 17, 2006, 02:00 »
First time at Cook this fall since 1994.  Enjoyed it.  You are expected to work, that is for sure, but we should all expect to work for our money.  The only complaint that I would have is that HP Techs do alot of things outside of what our normal job discription would be at other sites.  Only a complaint because it can take people out of their area of expertise and potentially create a dangerous situation.

The mock up training (walk through) is a great excersise!  I think it should be part of our normal 3 year testing (ie. NEU Exam).

All in all, good plant, good money...not easy money but good money.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
DC Cook
« Reply #73 on: Aug 08, 2007, 05:20 »
The Baymont Inn is very nice!!

roadhard

« Reply #74 on: Oct 04, 2007, 04:33 »
Does anyone have factual information about the industrial accident at D.C. Cook?

(Injured worker taken to Hospital in PC's, contaminated PC's removed and returned to site.)

I realize the company is doing a thorough investigation and the OPEX will follow, but it would help if some credible information was posted to halt rumor.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?