Davis-Besse

Above Average
10 (22.2%)
Average
15 (33.3%)
Below Average
20 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Davis-Besse  (Read 72302 times)

Offline 5kip6

• Light User
  • All's great!
Re: Davis-Besse
« Reply #25 on: Jan 15, 2010, 04:28 »
DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED,  BUT I WAS IN SHOCK WHEN WAS CALLED ABOUT DB.   BARTLETT HAS HAD THE CONTRACT THERE SINCE 1990 OR 1991.   

Rad_Owl_2

« Reply #26 on: Jan 15, 2010, 11:09 »
The real word on the street is that the First Energy person who decides who the RP contractor supplier will be is really chummy with someone at Atlantic. Interesting since NPS also has those contracts.  Just saying,

Offline cairnit

• Moderate User
  • I love my job........
« Reply #27 on: Jan 16, 2010, 08:49 »
Atlantic has a friend high up in the rad dept at Perry that helped them get in last outage at Perry. Guess that's all it took for them to become the primary for the system.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
Re: Davis Besse
« Reply #28 on: Jan 18, 2010, 04:43 »
Slo - - - this really wasn't you that typed this, was it?

mutant.... aye gotta konfess dat wuz da unnatural rezult uv two much stimulayshun too my por system.  probly a result of alkyhall 'n memries uv da scent of suntan loshun wafting in onna breez frum da i-lands.
butt, eye nebber had bad servise at dat hotel.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Rather Hunt Than Tech

• Light User
  • It's not Rocket Science we're only Splitting Atoms
« Reply #29 on: Feb 10, 2010, 08:54 »
There seems to be staffing issues for Davis Besse's outage.  A condition report was written about it.  Positions for Sr. RP techs are yet to be filled and there a many uncommitted personnel. There are a large percentage of non returnees.  This has caused a problem with the training time needed and the time alloted for that training. There is a concern about the lack of familiarity with the plant causing performance based errors.

Bartlett had the outage fully staffed and ready to go prior to the contract being awarded to Atlantic.
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 01:59 by Rather Hunt Than Tech »
ATF: Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a Goverment Agency

Fermi2

« Reply #30 on: Feb 10, 2010, 01:12 »
You  might want to watch posting items like this. Condition Reports are usually classified as Business Sensitive.

Mike

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #31 on: Mar 23, 2010, 06:15 »
The real word on the street is that the First Energy person who decides who the RP contractor supplier will be is really chummy with someone at Atlantic. Interesting since NPS also has those contracts.  Just saying,

Now we all know that being chummy with someone never warranted signing a contract......Um, I think....

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #32 on: Mar 28, 2010, 07:49 »
What kind of lodging ya got up that way for a guy coming to Plum Brook for a couple weeks?

justatech

« Reply #33 on: Apr 05, 2010, 02:44 »
Dave, try to stay away from the Cedar Point area.... try the Bayview area, its about 20 minutes from Plumbrook.

Offline Rather Hunt Than Tech

• Light User
  • It's not Rocket Science we're only Splitting Atoms
« Reply #34 on: Jun 30, 2010, 03:53 »
Davis Besse finally achieved grid synchronization from their spring outage at 04:25 hours on 6/29/10.  The long outage was due to the need for head repairs.  Also, the 2014 head replacement at Davis Besse has been moved up to the fall of 2011.

ATF: Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a Goverment Agency

tardvark

« Reply #35 on: Jul 05, 2011, 10:08 »
Is ther any particular reason that the head is being replaced? I thought they had a new one?

vikingfan

« Reply #36 on: Jul 05, 2011, 10:42 »
while I don't know the specifics, the current rx head was from miidland plant. and now they will replace this one with a brand spanking new one.

Fermi2

« Reply #37 on: Jul 05, 2011, 10:50 »
Because it's starting to show signs of cracking. A huge contributing factor is for some reason their Thot is higher than other B+W Plants. Maybe because it's a raised loop plant?

Mike

tardvark

« Reply #38 on: Jul 05, 2011, 12:40 »
Thanks for the info, folks. The T hot thing is a bit curious. I'm not a smart HP but it seems like if you had natural circ, the riased loop thing might be an issue...but with pumps?? Oh well. I might just have to go take a looky. Nothing like broiled walleye for Christmas dinner!

Fermi2

« Reply #39 on: Jul 05, 2011, 02:37 »
It's an issue because Thot circulates to the Upper Head. Higher temperature means more stress on the head. BTW Upper Loop plants are supposed to enhance Natural Circ and during Nat Circ your Thot doesn't rise. In fact your Nat Circ Delta T post trip should be the same as your 100% delta t, so Thot stays about the same.

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #40 on: Jul 05, 2011, 03:50 »
In fact your Nat Circ Delta T post trip should be the same as your 100% delta t, so Thot stays about the same.

I will provide a correction here.  The Thot post trip is not the same as 100% Thot.  Tave is constant when raising power beyond about 28% power and this means that Thot rises and Tcold lowers as you raise power.  The delta T at 100% is about 47.7 F.  On a vanilla trip, Tave should end up being about 547 F.  If you go on natural circ, you will have a 30F -50 F delta T.
« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2011, 04:03 by Nutty Neutron »

Fermi2

« Reply #41 on: Jul 06, 2011, 11:09 »
Oops should have specified at a Westinghouse 4 Loop Plant. And the full power delta T starts lowering quickly. Many Licensed operators are surprised at how high the delta T is when establishing Nat Circ.

tardvark

« Reply #42 on: Jul 06, 2011, 01:58 »
Can anyone give me an idea of what it's like to work (HP-wise) at Besse these days? I worked there a few times about 20 years ago and it was pretty nice..friendly people, not super hot, decent area. Is there any one out there who worked it back then and has worked it recently?

Thanks in advance.

Fermi2

« Reply #43 on: Jul 06, 2011, 09:12 »
Can anyone give me an idea of what it's like to work (HP-wise) at Besse these days? I worked there a few times about 20 years ago and it was pretty nice..friendly people, not super hot, decent area. Is there any one out there who worked it back then and has worked it recently?

Thanks in advance.

I can't answer that BUT if you do go to the Bess and you don't go to Wellington Ohio to eat at my Aunts Pizza place you're screwing up!

Offline St Raphael

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #44 on: Jul 07, 2011, 06:31 »
Any recommendations on lodging for the upcoming outage?

"Plenty of people miss their share of happiness, Not because they never found it, But because they didn't stop to enjoy it."  -- William Faulkner (1897-1962)

Offline nspunx4

• Light User
« Reply #45 on: Jan 24, 2014, 04:13 »
Because it's starting to show signs of cracking. A huge contributing factor is for some reason their Thot is higher than other B+W Plants. Maybe because it's a raised loop plant?

Mike

I read on another forum that the reason DB runs at 582 tave instead of 579 tave like other BW plants is that DB was spec'd with a steam header pressure of 885 psiG instead of 885 psiA like everyone else. According to the story it would have been too expensive to re do all of the analysis so they chose to keep it that way.

FWIW I have no idea if that is a true story or not but it seemed interesting.

Offline DarkWingDuck

• Very Lite User
« Reply #46 on: Aug 27, 2015, 01:06 »
so I got an interview for DB coming up for a Reactor Operator Trainee. I was wondering if anyone who works there would be able to tell me what the cultural climate is like. according to some sites it looks like there are a few unhappy people working there.

Also I understand that it is a union position and that the pay is at a fixed rate, but I'm having a tough time finding what it is or what range it is.

justatech

« Reply #47 on: Aug 30, 2015, 12:42 »
I was a contractor for a few years before going house here at DB..... as with any site its what you make of it. I came on board here because the people are a good group; not like some of the sites I contracted at...  Our OPS Crews are a great bunch of guys, and they work well together. If you want to move up, that is the department to be in as they do promote from within. I don't know the starting wage, its average from what I understand but you can always ask about it. They run 12 hour shifts; a week of days, a week of nights, a week of training and a week off....

Offline DarkWingDuck

• Very Lite User
« Reply #48 on: Aug 30, 2015, 03:58 »
Thanks justatech for your response.

I was looking at the wiki-page. at it looks like DB has had quite a rough history. That has me a little weary and I'm not sure what to make of it. Covering up a growing hole in the vessel head seems like a red flag, but i guess I shouldn't judge based on the skew of a wiki-page. plus it has been a while and I hear that there was some restructuring going on. can anyone give any insight in regards to the fallout from that.

Offline ddickey

• Moderate User
« Reply #49 on: Aug 31, 2015, 06:44 »
so I got an interview for DB coming up for a Reactor Operator Trainee. I was wondering if anyone who works there would be able to tell me what the cultural climate is like. according to some sites it looks like there are a few unhappy people working there.

Also I understand that it is a union position and that the pay is at a fixed rate, but I'm having a tough time finding what it is or what range it is.

I'm surprised they're hiring externally for RO's. Those positions are almost always filled by Journeyman NLO's or APEO's.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?