Darlington

Above Average
4 (57.1%)
Average
2 (28.6%)
Below Average
1 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Darlington  (Read 114828 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Darlington
« on: Aug 05, 2006, 04:47 »
If anyone has lodging information for this facility, please post it here.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Darlington
« Reply #1 on: Aug 05, 2006, 04:53 »
Talk about this facility.  Don't forget to review the forum rules before you post here.  And don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.
« Last Edit: Dec 24, 2006, 12:42 by Roll Tide »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Darlington
« Reply #2 on: Aug 05, 2006, 05:26 »
If anyone has a favorite hang out, place to shop, or local information for this facility please post it here.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: Darlington
« Reply #3 on: Aug 07, 2006, 07:18 »
Ah, Canada....
I got to tour the site while it was under construction in '90. Very nice area, I was staying in a campground down the road, and saw the sign for the plant, with a visitor center and tour offered. Had a ball riding around the site in a van, once they found out I was a nukeworker, several folks came up and hung out for a while talking about the differences in "ours vs theirs". Very friendly folks, pretty area, wish I had a chance ot work there while I was a roadie...
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

grahamscotland76

« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2007, 06:44 »
Fun place to work.

I was there in 2001 as part of an international team of about 20 that were the first non OPG people to be qualified as greenmen! Did an outage on unit 2, and gota few lung fulls of trit, all of which was washed out at Tailgate Charlies in Oshawa

vikingfan

« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2007, 07:37 »
What better way to dilute the body of tritium then washing down with a good 6 pack or more of canadian lager !!!  ;D ;D ;D

davisclay9370

« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2008, 06:42 »
I've found that beer cures  lot of lifes little ills not just rad problems......DRINK ON

focus

« Reply #7 on: Apr 25, 2008, 11:35 »
hey everyone
just finished the outage on Unit #1 ....had to go in only ones...picked up 53 mrem for being in there 2.5 hours..not bad eh?..that's me being on the bridge 6 feet away from the face of the reactor.....anyways the plant is very nice

Hereinnc

« Reply #8 on: Jul 14, 2008, 11:55 »
Who are the contacts for this and the Bruce facilities?  How does the wages/per diem work for US citizens working there?  Tried to get to Bruce earlier this year but all of the companies I was talking to were filling resume drawers I think.  Know several people working at Bruce who are no more or less qualified than myself but I couldn't get across the border.

focus

« Reply #9 on: Sep 15, 2008, 12:40 »
...good luck with it  ;)

Offline walstib

• Moderate User
  • I hate Monday's
« Reply #10 on: Sep 15, 2008, 01:08 »
Worked at Darlington for 6 months in 2000, Pickering for 23 months 2001 - 2003.  Stayed in Oshawa both times by renting an apartment vs a hotel.  Don't recall the name of the rental company, however I paid 600 & 800 Canadian for the apartments.   

The Thirsty Monk is a quaint place to go where everyone knows each other.  Two brothers own it and their father owns the adjoining restuarant.  First time I walked in there was a group of 6 from a 13 yr old upto a 70 something grandmother, all sitting around drinking coffee, soda and beer and playing dominoes.  In 2002 they opened another one in Ajax that is a hot bed for the 20 something crowds.  Enjoy your time there, their government may be pretty scoialist but the people are nice.  Oh, and if you are their for over 6 months you have to pay their taxes (I had a tax equalization clause with my company) and you qualify for their free health care, you just have to apply for it.

Hopes this helps

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail -Emerson
If you are going through hell, keep going
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - H S Thompson

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?