Point Beach

Above Average
28 (41.2%)
Average
19 (27.9%)
Below Average
21 (30.9%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Point Beach  (Read 158471 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Point Beach
« on: Jul 22, 2001, 07:26 »
Talk About: Point Beach

« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2007, 12:33 by Camella Black »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Point Beach
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2002, 07:49 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.

Offline Jill

• Senior HP, everybodies whippin' biach, the list goes on...
  • Light User
Re: Talk About: Point Beach
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2003, 04:12 »
>:( I word - ICK!  I worked there in the late 80's.  The people that didn't work there were the nicest people you could ever meet, but the house techs there treated the contractors like sh*t because they ACTUALLY THOUGHT we wanted to take their jobs!  What a joke!  You can tell they never went on the road!  The last time I body counted out, I let the house tech  know that we (the contractors) had no interest in becoming house there.  Now, I know a few house techs there and they are pretty cool (Old man Milks, what a trip, he kept me in stitches and Tom Karl, hey Tom!)  They were my favorites, although Tom didn't start there until much later after I left.  Another word, Gaynor - Jerk off!

moke

« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2003, 06:44 »
Yep. Great people outside of the plant. I was provided a room for the night in  Sheboygan by a local family since all rental car companies were closed for the night upon arriving in Milwaukee (snow storm). Helped shovel snow in the morning and was driven to the Cool City motel.  :D

Enjoyed the food across the street from the Cool City motel (forgot the name of the supper club).

Great thin crust pizza on the lake west of the plant. Got a share of Hielmans beer but could not woof down the hamburger pate.

Glad to have visited Lambeau Field and the local mall in Greenbay.

The Plant: Wax on Wax Off. They did not care to roast personnel there.

I liked the idea of hosing down the containmemnt building shortly after shutdown. Protocol reqiured all personnel to rinse there hands prior to exit monitoring from the RCA. Kept their Personnel Contamination rate on the low end.

I met a few great folks at the site, at the same time, many were confined to their circle.

Good learning experience in the Dairy State and one hell of a group of rental techs! It was a blast especially with Kewaunee shutdown at the same time.

Moke

allforthenukie

« Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 2003, 01:35 »
The hostile additude that many road techs remember experiencing at Point Beach back in the 1980's no longer exists here. There has been a lot of turnover in the RP group since those days. The majority of the house RP techs here now are former road techs. So the outage working environment here is much more friendly than it used to be. Many of the road techs who were here back in those bad 'ol days remember being treated like sh*t and spread the word that Point Beach is a terrible place to work and they would never go back. The fact is that it's not like that here anymore. So if anyone is considering coming up here for an outage, don't worry about that old reputation this place has. It simply isn't true anymore.

Asa1

« Reply #5 on: Jul 31, 2003, 02:08 »
I like Bucky and Bob o'er ther.  "We go togethr like peas and carrots."

deconcuddles

« Reply #6 on: Jul 31, 2003, 10:45 »
The last time I worked there, I twisted my knee and can't seem to get back in.  Did love it there.  They didn't treat the deconners to well.  We were under maintance and that was a joke.  Half of them had no clue.  The HPs were great to work for.  Ran into alot of old friends there.  Would go back if I had the chance.

Offline imbucky

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Aug 05, 2003, 11:11 »
The "Beach" HAS changed a lot! There are a lot of x-roadies that are here as house mouse's and a lot of the attitude has changed. Decon is back under RP now so things are as back to normal, as normal as they will be under the direction of the NMC?

We are stuck in the 25 day outage protocal that the NMC has set fleet wide so have to try to make it work as well as it can. Outages are still under-staffed but that seems to be all over?
We still have outage parties and try to make the 12 hour days somewhat pleasant but it'll never be like the old days.
Old man Robbie Milks is now retired (05/03) and selling stuff on Ebay! In his words..."he's out there living!"

Lots of good people here, just gotta know where to look!

Life is NOT like a box of chocolates.

It's more like a jar of Jalapenos....what you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.......

LMDeane

« Reply #8 on: Aug 07, 2003, 07:20 »
Been there.  Had a GREAT time!  But then, that was a very L-O-N-G time ago.

Have been hearing rumors that The Point is finally considering subbing out dams this season (at long last again).  Is it true, & if so, who's the bid been awarded to, Scientech, iTi, DES or Avantech?

"inquiring minds want to know."
8)

slattmandu

« Reply #9 on: Aug 07, 2003, 09:28 »
I've always enjoyed working in the cheese and the friendly people of the area.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2003, 04:56 »
Just wondering how the outage at the Beach is going??  I heard they were paying pretty good $$$  and it's not that expensive to live up there.  Havent been there in a while, wondering if the same techs are there.  Most were pretty cool, but there was one ***** there...***** somebody.  He thought he was really cool, but really was a typical dumb farm boy redneck trying to act cool.

It's time to steer this back on topic.  It's Talk About: Point Beach, not pick on those I didn't like at Point Beach.  
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

radghost

« Reply #11 on: Nov 10, 2003, 07:34 »
Working at the Point is like Christmas or a family reunion, you get to see people you actually miss and are glad to see again. Just keep in mind the evil uncle that nobody likes to talk about, he lurks in the corner and is capable of taking your job away, and gets a kick out of doing just that. Theres alot of tribal knowledge that oversees the way business is done and procedure compliance is a way for uncle pointless to screw with the contractors. Found that out the hard way. Wages are good there but there is a reason for that. Will not allow my shadow to cross their threshold again.

Offline darkmatter

• Heavy Metal Poster Child
  • Heavy User
  • you don't know the power of the dark side.
« Reply #12 on: Nov 11, 2003, 11:05 »
I too worked a few outages there in the 80's. I found out that Two Rivers is pronounced as one word: "Trivers". They have a snow festival on the 4th of July. I got introduced to "Deep Fried Cheese Curds", really quite good once I got over the name. The House Techs at the time did treat us like unwanted stepchildren, I really didn't want to use their cafeteria anyway, I liked the windowless cube they had for the contractor trash. OH and lets not forget that every intersection in town has either four churchs or four bars. I stayed for a while in one of the rooms above a bar for $10.00 a week!, with my first beer free!. WOW, what memories, I never did save as much dinero at any other site as there, but then again the 7-12s are gone.
"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Klown"

Darkmatters website is no more, nada, gonzo, 
http://darkmatter.nukeworker.net.istemp.com  this will get you there, but I can't update it anymore. Maybe nukeworker will host personal sites eventully

Harpo

Re: Rate Point Beach
« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2003, 04:45 »
"Keep your comments civil." Well, that keeps the replies down, doesn't it...

trailorqueen

Re: Rate Point Beach
« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 2003, 05:07 »
I just went to Point Beach for the first time, and I really enjoyed it.  I even enjoyed the housetechs!  The outage may not have been smooth sailing, but all in all most everyone kept a good attitude.  The only thing about the Beach that I thought was a little off was the house deconners.  But we are keeping it civil, so I will leave it at that.  Look forward to going back in the spring!

Harpo

« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2003, 06:54 »
The "Beach" could be a good place to work but it appears managment won't allow that to happen. Outage prep was ZERO because Radcon manager wanted to save money on the budget.  :o Implemented procedures and equipment right before the outage started  >:( that most house techs weren't familiar with or trained on. Training for their outage happened on a weekend at another plant in the middle of training for that plants training. Talk about confusion. I'd go back  :o under the right conditions.... Wonder what they are.

boomer23

« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2003, 10:45 »
How could you not love Point Beach? Just doesn't make sense to me

radghost

« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2003, 07:45 »
How could you not love Point Beach? Just doesn't make sense to me

Well, I'd like to tell you to go there and find out, but then I think it would negate the reasoning behind these threads. The only people saying anything positive about Pt. Beach are the house tech's. (IMBUCKY, ALLFORTHENUKIE) SLATTMANDU didnt even show up for the last outage, and ASA1 is just a big slurpee. Since NMC has taken over the bean counters are in charge and you are really extremely lucky to last three weeks especially with the preferential treatment that the relatives get. Hence the analogy to family reunion.

bronxcheer

« Reply #18 on: Dec 12, 2003, 07:31 »
but the house techs there treated the contractors like sh*t because they ACTUALLY THOUGHT we wanted to take their jobs!  What a joke!  

allforthenukie wrote "There has been a lot of turnover in the RP group since those days. The majority of the house RP techs here now are former road techs."

HMMM :-? :-?

Offline NightCrawler

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 12, 2003, 09:25 »
Sorry to read of your negative opinion about Point Beach, Radgopher.  My experience here has been nothing but pleasant, as the house and contract people do a great job of relating to each other in support of an outage.  Can't quite figure out what you mean by "evil uncle who lurks"???  Never saw that attitude from any of the RP Techs I've dealt with.  I didn't get to read Tiger 25's post, but I assume it was negative.  Wish I could have read it to respond to it.  Maybe she was expected to do too much while she was here?????

Why can't we all just get along?????

radghost

« Reply #20 on: Dec 12, 2003, 05:36 »
jrjr23, Go ask bucky, its not hard to figure out who I am.

slattmandu

« Reply #21 on: Dec 12, 2003, 08:26 »
Radgopher I don't know the whole story behind what went on with you at the Beach. And true I wasn't there this past outage. It still doesn't change the content of my earlier post on my visits to the cheese.

DWmonkey

« Reply #22 on: Dec 13, 2003, 05:34 »
I worked there in the mid 90's and didn't mind it at all.  Spent three winters there working long term and considered myself lucky not to put my car out in a corn field during the storms.  Almost went house with the rest of the former road techs but couldn't bring my southern behind to bear another winter there.  Did Lonnie ever pass the entrance exam? ::) :-X

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #23 on: Dec 14, 2003, 07:55 »
Helms, you're an idiot. Anyone that knows you will attest to that. Point Beach would be lucky if you and your old lady never cross their threshold again. You are truly worthless. Since you felt compelled to insult, I felt as though I could too. Kiss-ass?me?.........please.

Again, this is talk about Point Beach, not insult people.  I'll delete this entire thread if people can't be civil.

sundevil

« Reply #24 on: Dec 15, 2003, 10:28 »
Radgopher you complain about the Beach But when you do so trying to give it a bad name you should also included the true facts as to why you have had your bad experience. You have been a returnee many times and always came back. But this time around you finally hosed your way into the site coordinator position and in doing so you really showed your true colors. Even after being warned you continued to be a complete idiot and stir and anger everyone. I guess if you give a moron a chance he will prove to be an inbred from upper Michigan. So on that lets get back to the thread. Point Beach has had issues and may continue to still have some; but the people are nice and always try to make contractors feel welcomed. So if there is anyone thinking of going there I highly recommed it.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?