Point Beach

Above Average
28 (41.2%)
Average
19 (27.9%)
Below Average
21 (30.9%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Point Beach  (Read 158536 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Point Beach
« on: Jul 22, 2001, 07:26 »
Talk About: Point Beach

« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2007, 12:33 by Camella Black »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Point Beach
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2002, 07:49 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.

Offline Jill

• Senior HP, everybodies whippin' biach, the list goes on...
  • Light User
Re: Talk About: Point Beach
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2003, 04:12 »
>:( I word - ICK!  I worked there in the late 80's.  The people that didn't work there were the nicest people you could ever meet, but the house techs there treated the contractors like sh*t because they ACTUALLY THOUGHT we wanted to take their jobs!  What a joke!  You can tell they never went on the road!  The last time I body counted out, I let the house tech  know that we (the contractors) had no interest in becoming house there.  Now, I know a few house techs there and they are pretty cool (Old man Milks, what a trip, he kept me in stitches and Tom Karl, hey Tom!)  They were my favorites, although Tom didn't start there until much later after I left.  Another word, Gaynor - Jerk off!

moke

« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2003, 06:44 »
Yep. Great people outside of the plant. I was provided a room for the night in  Sheboygan by a local family since all rental car companies were closed for the night upon arriving in Milwaukee (snow storm). Helped shovel snow in the morning and was driven to the Cool City motel.  :D

Enjoyed the food across the street from the Cool City motel (forgot the name of the supper club).

Great thin crust pizza on the lake west of the plant. Got a share of Hielmans beer but could not woof down the hamburger pate.

Glad to have visited Lambeau Field and the local mall in Greenbay.

The Plant: Wax on Wax Off. They did not care to roast personnel there.

I liked the idea of hosing down the containmemnt building shortly after shutdown. Protocol reqiured all personnel to rinse there hands prior to exit monitoring from the RCA. Kept their Personnel Contamination rate on the low end.

I met a few great folks at the site, at the same time, many were confined to their circle.

Good learning experience in the Dairy State and one hell of a group of rental techs! It was a blast especially with Kewaunee shutdown at the same time.

Moke

allforthenukie

« Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 2003, 01:35 »
The hostile additude that many road techs remember experiencing at Point Beach back in the 1980's no longer exists here. There has been a lot of turnover in the RP group since those days. The majority of the house RP techs here now are former road techs. So the outage working environment here is much more friendly than it used to be. Many of the road techs who were here back in those bad 'ol days remember being treated like sh*t and spread the word that Point Beach is a terrible place to work and they would never go back. The fact is that it's not like that here anymore. So if anyone is considering coming up here for an outage, don't worry about that old reputation this place has. It simply isn't true anymore.

Asa1

« Reply #5 on: Jul 31, 2003, 02:08 »
I like Bucky and Bob o'er ther.  "We go togethr like peas and carrots."

deconcuddles

« Reply #6 on: Jul 31, 2003, 10:45 »
The last time I worked there, I twisted my knee and can't seem to get back in.  Did love it there.  They didn't treat the deconners to well.  We were under maintance and that was a joke.  Half of them had no clue.  The HPs were great to work for.  Ran into alot of old friends there.  Would go back if I had the chance.

Offline imbucky

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Aug 05, 2003, 11:11 »
The "Beach" HAS changed a lot! There are a lot of x-roadies that are here as house mouse's and a lot of the attitude has changed. Decon is back under RP now so things are as back to normal, as normal as they will be under the direction of the NMC?

We are stuck in the 25 day outage protocal that the NMC has set fleet wide so have to try to make it work as well as it can. Outages are still under-staffed but that seems to be all over?
We still have outage parties and try to make the 12 hour days somewhat pleasant but it'll never be like the old days.
Old man Robbie Milks is now retired (05/03) and selling stuff on Ebay! In his words..."he's out there living!"

Lots of good people here, just gotta know where to look!

Life is NOT like a box of chocolates.

It's more like a jar of Jalapenos....what you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.......

LMDeane

« Reply #8 on: Aug 07, 2003, 07:20 »
Been there.  Had a GREAT time!  But then, that was a very L-O-N-G time ago.

Have been hearing rumors that The Point is finally considering subbing out dams this season (at long last again).  Is it true, & if so, who's the bid been awarded to, Scientech, iTi, DES or Avantech?

"inquiring minds want to know."
8)

slattmandu

« Reply #9 on: Aug 07, 2003, 09:28 »
I've always enjoyed working in the cheese and the friendly people of the area.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2003, 04:56 »
Just wondering how the outage at the Beach is going??  I heard they were paying pretty good $$$  and it's not that expensive to live up there.  Havent been there in a while, wondering if the same techs are there.  Most were pretty cool, but there was one ***** there...***** somebody.  He thought he was really cool, but really was a typical dumb farm boy redneck trying to act cool.

It's time to steer this back on topic.  It's Talk About: Point Beach, not pick on those I didn't like at Point Beach.  
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

radghost

« Reply #11 on: Nov 10, 2003, 07:34 »
Working at the Point is like Christmas or a family reunion, you get to see people you actually miss and are glad to see again. Just keep in mind the evil uncle that nobody likes to talk about, he lurks in the corner and is capable of taking your job away, and gets a kick out of doing just that. Theres alot of tribal knowledge that oversees the way business is done and procedure compliance is a way for uncle pointless to screw with the contractors. Found that out the hard way. Wages are good there but there is a reason for that. Will not allow my shadow to cross their threshold again.

Offline darkmatter

• Heavy Metal Poster Child
  • Heavy User
  • you don't know the power of the dark side.
« Reply #12 on: Nov 11, 2003, 11:05 »
I too worked a few outages there in the 80's. I found out that Two Rivers is pronounced as one word: "Trivers". They have a snow festival on the 4th of July. I got introduced to "Deep Fried Cheese Curds", really quite good once I got over the name. The House Techs at the time did treat us like unwanted stepchildren, I really didn't want to use their cafeteria anyway, I liked the windowless cube they had for the contractor trash. OH and lets not forget that every intersection in town has either four churchs or four bars. I stayed for a while in one of the rooms above a bar for $10.00 a week!, with my first beer free!. WOW, what memories, I never did save as much dinero at any other site as there, but then again the 7-12s are gone.
"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Klown"

Darkmatters website is no more, nada, gonzo, 
http://darkmatter.nukeworker.net.istemp.com  this will get you there, but I can't update it anymore. Maybe nukeworker will host personal sites eventully

Harpo

Re: Rate Point Beach
« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2003, 04:45 »
"Keep your comments civil." Well, that keeps the replies down, doesn't it...

trailorqueen

Re: Rate Point Beach
« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 2003, 05:07 »
I just went to Point Beach for the first time, and I really enjoyed it.  I even enjoyed the housetechs!  The outage may not have been smooth sailing, but all in all most everyone kept a good attitude.  The only thing about the Beach that I thought was a little off was the house deconners.  But we are keeping it civil, so I will leave it at that.  Look forward to going back in the spring!

Harpo

« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2003, 06:54 »
The "Beach" could be a good place to work but it appears managment won't allow that to happen. Outage prep was ZERO because Radcon manager wanted to save money on the budget.  :o Implemented procedures and equipment right before the outage started  >:( that most house techs weren't familiar with or trained on. Training for their outage happened on a weekend at another plant in the middle of training for that plants training. Talk about confusion. I'd go back  :o under the right conditions.... Wonder what they are.

boomer23

« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2003, 10:45 »
How could you not love Point Beach? Just doesn't make sense to me

radghost

« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2003, 07:45 »
How could you not love Point Beach? Just doesn't make sense to me

Well, I'd like to tell you to go there and find out, but then I think it would negate the reasoning behind these threads. The only people saying anything positive about Pt. Beach are the house tech's. (IMBUCKY, ALLFORTHENUKIE) SLATTMANDU didnt even show up for the last outage, and ASA1 is just a big slurpee. Since NMC has taken over the bean counters are in charge and you are really extremely lucky to last three weeks especially with the preferential treatment that the relatives get. Hence the analogy to family reunion.

bronxcheer

« Reply #18 on: Dec 12, 2003, 07:31 »
but the house techs there treated the contractors like sh*t because they ACTUALLY THOUGHT we wanted to take their jobs!  What a joke!  

allforthenukie wrote "There has been a lot of turnover in the RP group since those days. The majority of the house RP techs here now are former road techs."

HMMM :-? :-?

Offline NightCrawler

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 12, 2003, 09:25 »
Sorry to read of your negative opinion about Point Beach, Radgopher.  My experience here has been nothing but pleasant, as the house and contract people do a great job of relating to each other in support of an outage.  Can't quite figure out what you mean by "evil uncle who lurks"???  Never saw that attitude from any of the RP Techs I've dealt with.  I didn't get to read Tiger 25's post, but I assume it was negative.  Wish I could have read it to respond to it.  Maybe she was expected to do too much while she was here?????

Why can't we all just get along?????

radghost

« Reply #20 on: Dec 12, 2003, 05:36 »
jrjr23, Go ask bucky, its not hard to figure out who I am.

slattmandu

« Reply #21 on: Dec 12, 2003, 08:26 »
Radgopher I don't know the whole story behind what went on with you at the Beach. And true I wasn't there this past outage. It still doesn't change the content of my earlier post on my visits to the cheese.

DWmonkey

« Reply #22 on: Dec 13, 2003, 05:34 »
I worked there in the mid 90's and didn't mind it at all.  Spent three winters there working long term and considered myself lucky not to put my car out in a corn field during the storms.  Almost went house with the rest of the former road techs but couldn't bring my southern behind to bear another winter there.  Did Lonnie ever pass the entrance exam? ::) :-X

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #23 on: Dec 14, 2003, 07:55 »
Helms, you're an idiot. Anyone that knows you will attest to that. Point Beach would be lucky if you and your old lady never cross their threshold again. You are truly worthless. Since you felt compelled to insult, I felt as though I could too. Kiss-ass?me?.........please.

Again, this is talk about Point Beach, not insult people.  I'll delete this entire thread if people can't be civil.

sundevil

« Reply #24 on: Dec 15, 2003, 10:28 »
Radgopher you complain about the Beach But when you do so trying to give it a bad name you should also included the true facts as to why you have had your bad experience. You have been a returnee many times and always came back. But this time around you finally hosed your way into the site coordinator position and in doing so you really showed your true colors. Even after being warned you continued to be a complete idiot and stir and anger everyone. I guess if you give a moron a chance he will prove to be an inbred from upper Michigan. So on that lets get back to the thread. Point Beach has had issues and may continue to still have some; but the people are nice and always try to make contractors feel welcomed. So if there is anyone thinking of going there I highly recommed it.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
« Reply #25 on: Dec 16, 2003, 01:20 »
I've never worked at Point Beach, but from what I hear the decon staff leaves something to be desired.

Then it sounds like you can't talk about Point Beach with any authority on the subject.  Rumors & innuendo don't help anyone.

-Bertrand Russell

sunshine1

« Reply #26 on: Dec 27, 2003, 02:08 »
Does anyone know who the Bartlett site super is for the Spring Outage?

Iowa_HP

« Reply #27 on: Dec 27, 2003, 03:56 »
I worked at the Beach in the late nineties and really enjoyed it. The house techs were mostly ex-roadies and were a great group to work with. Treated the contractors like the professionals that we are.

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #28 on: Jan 07, 2004, 07:50 »
Woo Hoo, I love the Beach!!!

I have been told that I am not right...

I wish all of you contractors would quit stealing my parking spot!!! :o :P

rawtech

« Reply #29 on: Jan 09, 2004, 02:45 »
Well I don't know if anyone has covered this topic about Point Beach yet, but for them having a lot of ex-road techs, you certainly would think that they would realize they can't go crying about the road techs getting a bonus, and not them (ruining it for any road tech comming there this outage at least) without it getting back to the ones(the road techs) that ended up losing money because of them! >:(

sundevil

« Reply #30 on: Jan 09, 2004, 08:05 »
Rawtech you ought to get your facts right before you shoot your mouth off. The house Techs were not crying about you getting a bonus in Fact they were all arguing with managment to give you a bonus so all the contract Techs wouldn't be lost between Prairie Island and DC Cook. It is someone like you who shoot from the hip and runs your mouth that gives a some what tight situation the bad name of being the worst. In fact WE-Energies house Techs was not against give bonuses or using contract Decon. Unfortunatly having to deal with the NMC is a different situation that is out of the Techs hands.  

allforthenukie

« Reply #31 on: Jan 12, 2004, 09:50 »
Rawtech where in the hell are you getting your information from? Sounds like someone trying to stir up a rumor.
I LIVE at the Beach and haven't heard anyone crying about anybody else getting any bonus. House techs here don't get a completion bonus. Why would we? It's not like we're gonna drag up and run to another outage for more money.
We worked our last outage here short several RP techs partly due to DC Cook and it's bonus. This only made life at the beach harder for those of us left here to take up the slack.
We who've worked the road all know that the best techs in the business will follow the money where it leads. It makes sense. I wish the contracters who work the Beach were paid or bonused as well or better than other sites are putting out so we could fully staff our outages with quality personelle.

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
  • I was liberal as a youth then I had to pay taxes..
« Reply #32 on: Jan 12, 2004, 11:15 »
In reply to sunshine1 - we are still try'n to figure that one out - have a couple of candidates but management still has not yet dtermined who the coordinator shall be.

Eric Bartlett
The opinions & views expressed by me are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of the company.

rawtech

« Reply #33 on: Jan 12, 2004, 05:21 »
I wasn't just trying to stir up any rumors. I have worked there in the past and personally, I had a great time, GOOD PEOPLE there, and probably will return again sometime in the future, but when I inquired about the rates this time, and found there to be no bonus, I asked why. My previous quote reflected the response that I got. So I honestly appologize if I worded it a little harsh. I was simply relaying to the rest of the industry what was told to me. Once again, SORRY if I offeded anyone,                                                                                 Rawtech

allforthenukie

« Reply #34 on: Jan 13, 2004, 12:30 »
Rawtech, sorry I didn't mean to snap at you last time, but I think that somebody was feeding you a line of BS(bad information).
The house techs here have no control over what the outage personelle wages are, or weather or not to offer bonuses. Those decisions are made by someone much farther up the food chain from us. Probably something that's negotiated and agreed on between our management and your employer.
I can't speak for my coworkers, only for myself, personally I think that offering a completion bonus to the outage contracter RP staff would be a great idea, if it got us FULLY staffed with motivated, quality techs. I think that most of the house techs here would share that sentiment. Unfortunately it's not up to us.
That said, I wouldn't advise anyone to hold their breath waiting for the ol' Beach to offer up any kind of bonuses. We started our last outage with about half the techs we actually needed and no bonus incentive was offered to attract more.

Offline imbucky

• Light User
Re: Point Beach
« Reply #35 on: Feb 23, 2004, 03:16 »
Looking for Mike Imler?!?!?!
Heard he was coming to the Beach this spring?

It's more like a jar of Jalapenos....what you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.......

Offline justme

• Moderate User
« Reply #36 on: Apr 11, 2004, 09:50 »
Heard the plant is on standby, something about almost boiling the core.  Any news, ie real facts?
It is what it is!

Offline NightCrawler

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #37 on: Apr 11, 2004, 11:47 »
There was an incident during the U1 refueling outage involving a vent path.  Apparently while the nozzle dams were being installed, a manyway was to be removed from the pressurizer to ensure a vent path for RCS.  This step was apparently missed and gave U1 no vent path, thus creating the possibility of boiling within the reactor core.  The condition was found out before the nozzle dams were fully installed and rectified.  Point Beach's outage is now coming out of standby at this time.

inyourface

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2004, 01:45 »
i think that point beach is a great place to work.  the people are extremely friendly and helpful and they don't make you feel like you're some kind of idiot.

Offline Jill

• Senior HP, everybodies whippin' biach, the list goes on...
  • Light User
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2004, 01:38 »
 Wow, sounds like Point Beach really cleaned house!  What'd they do, fire all their house techs?  (With the exception of the "Old Man', and Tom K.!  They are great!)  Nuff said, If I go on, this won't get posted!

inyourface

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2004, 03:31 »
you got to go to the roundup in mischicot

Offline WMDude

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2004, 08:29 »
The Water Front in Kewaunee :P a PB house tech owns the place.

Hurler23

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2004, 11:01 »
PB was my first job and I have not missed since. I always enjoy working there, although some may say I'm biased.... ::)
Regardless, I have always felt welcome and a part of the group. 'nuf said...

rawtech

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2004, 01:03 »
I worked there this outage. I had no problems with anyone. The house techs. were easy-going,they don't make you feel like "contractor scum" like alot of others I could name, but won't. So long as your jobs got done right, nobody "BIRD-DOGGED" you, and anyone who took the time & effort to listen to what went on there would tell you that they (the house techs) try to do the right thing by the plant as well as their contract help. Just for the record, so that nobody gets the wrong idea, I've went there before (numorous times) and the house techs were never the problem for me,supervision on the other hand had been a real problem in the past. This time, to my delight, they were pretty easy to deal with as well. I look forward to returning there. Which, if you had asked me that in the past, it probably would have been a different story. But one thing's still the same....They can have that horrible weather!!!!! Keep it up there guys & good luck with no more oops's. Later,                       rawtech

DT2004

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2004, 02:39 »
:P  I wasn't able to go to the beach this time, I miss all my friends there and in the area. Here's a big salute to "Juicies."  The house techs are great, big holla to all my boys there and contractors

14PAIN

« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2004, 01:51 »
I've worked several outages at the Beach, although I did miss this past outage. I have to say it is my favorite plant to work. The house techs are the best in the industry as far as getting along with the contractors. They will back you 100% in any situation. I must admit that the last outage I worked there they were a bit under staffed, and yet, we all worked together and got the job done. If you ever have the opportunity to work at Point Beach I suggest you take it. You to will love the people as well as the area. And to all the people at the Beach, hello from The Vikings Fan. Hope to see you all next outage. Take care.

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2004, 04:08 »
Day 57 0f the outage, so we are slowly coming out of it!

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #47 on: Jun 07, 2004, 11:40 »
Day 65 and we should be shooting steam to the turbine this afternoon. A red alert has been issued for the grid here.... summer time!

allforthenukie

« Reply #48 on: Jun 08, 2004, 04:55 »
Dateline June 8th 2004
Time 1548

Point Beach Unit One is ONLINE.
The neverending outage from hell is finally over.

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #49 on: Mar 28, 2005, 08:16 »
Spring is here! Should hit 50 degrees on the lake today. Unit 2 RX head replacement starting in another week!

Welcome all!

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #50 on: Apr 13, 2005, 10:55 »
Well the missle sheild is out and there is no turning back. On hot stand bye as of today. The load drop calculation of the RX head is up in the air. The regulator has a few questions that need to be resolved!

OH BOY!   :-X

jakester

« Reply #51 on: Apr 14, 2005, 04:34 »
GIT 'ER DONE !!  I hate to have to use any electricity generated by natural gas this summer ;-) Good luck with the outage.

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #52 on: Apr 17, 2005, 05:49 »
Will do Jakester! The old head was moved today.  ;D

Japetto

« Reply #53 on: Apr 19, 2005, 07:51 »
Point Beach had to declare an Unusual Event today.  They lost the ability of RHR cooling for ~ 12 minutes when operations once again messed up.  We are 124 hours behind schedule, and seems like it is gonna be A LOT more than that before it's over.  Looks like we're gonna miss summer the way this one's going.

jakester

« Reply #54 on: Apr 19, 2005, 09:39 »
Hopefully things will be better when you do Unit 1 this fall. Will the U-1 replacement go on even if there is a lot of problems with U-2?? Best of luck to Y'all, and thanks for providing so much of my electricity. ( I'm on the
WE energies grid.)

sofar

« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2005, 08:39 »
Just in case anyone wants to know we are on day 38 of the 48 day outage and the current scheduel calls for us to be online the 28th of May which when you do the math makes it a 57 day outage but who's counting.  Still no resolution on the Head Calc. and we're having problems getting the lift rig to fit so rumor has it we won't be putting it back on the pot till sometime next week. Begining to feel like the never ending outage all over again.

jakester

« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2005, 04:29 »
Keep us posted on what's up! Just think- it might be an 'outage from hell' but you guys will be making some good coin!!

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2005, 10:48 »
The length of this one is repeating last spring!

:o

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2005, 10:24 »
Day 47 of the outage and still nothing definite about lifting the head.

::)

Offline imbucky

• Light User
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2005, 05:23 »
Currently at day 54. The plant is taking most of the "worker bees" back to 40 hour weeks until we get more news on our Reactor Head Amendment Request. The Bartlett Techs are on the way out for the weekend......

jakester

« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2005, 09:15 »
What are they doing different to need an  amendment?

Offline imbucky

• Light User
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2005, 03:14 »
Here is the communication the plant put out.

Point Beach waiting to finish refueling outage

May 27, 2005

While most work has been completed, the Point Beach Unit 2 outage remains unfinished pending resolution of questions about replacing the unit’s reactor vessel head. The outage, which began in early April, includes installation of a new head, as well as scheduled maintenance and refueling.

Before the outage began, the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) had requested more information about the plant’s analysis of its heavy load-lifting capability. Subsequently, it was determined that Point Beach had incorporated a 1982 analysis into its Final Safety Analysis Report (FSAR) dealing with heavy load/reactor vessel head drop evaluation.

As a result, Point Beach management put an “administrative hold” on heavy load lifts, including removal of the old Unit 2 head and installation of the new one. After additional dialogue between NRC and NMC, the old head was safely and successfully removed April 17.

The NRC has not ordered Point Beach to delay installation of the new head. However, the agency continues to have questions about the adequacy of the plant’s analysis of a potential drop of a heavy load, such as the reactor vessel head. As a result, work on lifting the new head remains on hold—at the directive of Point Beach Site Vice President Dennis Koehl—until heavy load lift issues are resolved.

Koehl stated, “The analysis involved is ours to resolve and I am confident that we will. In addition, the health and safety of the public also remains at the top of Point Beach’s priority list.”

stownsend

« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2005, 02:31 »
Don't mean to sound dumb,but what does NMC stand for.I haven't been to the Point yet but wish you all luck with completion.Take the money while you can.You're days on the lake are around the corner.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2005, 03:04 »
Don't mean to sound dumb,but what does NMC stand for.I haven't been to the Point yet but wish you all luck with completion.Take the money while you can.You're days on the lake are around the corner.

NMC stands for Nuclear Management Company.  I had to ask myself before.  No dumb questions other than the ones you don't ask.

-Bertrand Russell

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #64 on: Jun 05, 2005, 07:32 »
This one will be long and grueling. I do believe that Westinghouse will end up performing the analysis of the head lift. They have quoted a 4 month period to accomplish that.

:-X

Of course this is not a new situation. The extra weight on the intergrated RX package is a known fact. I do believe that other facilities did not use that package just for this fact................ TOO HEAVY!

SO what does NMC stand for?

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #65 on: Jun 06, 2005, 12:27 »
SO what does NMC stand for?
NMC stands for Nuclear Management Company.  I had to ask myself before.  No dumb questions other than the ones you don't ask.

If you read the posts above, you may find the answer before you ask the question.
« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2005, 12:27 by RDTroja »
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

jakester

« Reply #66 on: Jun 06, 2005, 04:04 »
Evil-leprachaun knows what NMC  stands for.  He was asking sarcasticaly ;)

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #67 on: Jun 06, 2005, 04:30 »
I forgot to apply the technician:sarcasm correction factor.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Oly

« Reply #68 on: Jun 24, 2005, 10:19 »
 ;D

No More Crescents!! - if you're at the Island.

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #69 on: Jun 27, 2005, 10:12 »
Well we have come to terms with the regulator and the RX head is in place. Should be producinging $$$$ by the 15th of July.

Things are heating up in the heartland and the juice is needed to keep comfy!

Red alert on the grid will be common until breaker close.

CheeseheadNuke

« Reply #70 on: Jun 27, 2005, 11:28 »
Since the beginning, NMC has always stood for the same thing : 
     NOT MY COMPANY !!!!!

RIP   NMC   KNPP   

Offline imbucky

• Light User
« Reply #71 on: Jul 05, 2005, 03:54 »
We're closing in on day 95 of a ~42 day outage. (sarcasm correction factor applied)
Starting to heat up over 350 and climbing. Might have a start up date of ~July 13th.

GET-ER-DONE

jakester

« Reply #72 on: Jul 12, 2005, 03:13 »
I see Unit 2 is at 23% power. Must be finally starting up!! When is Unit one supposed to come apart?

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #73 on: Jul 14, 2005, 11:36 »
Yes we are ramping up Unit 2 here at "The Beach". In late September Unit 1 is scheduled to receive new head.

8)
Keep in ya cool this summer!

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #74 on: Sep 15, 2005, 01:34 »
Well we are starting to get ready for the fall outage - Unit 1 RX head replacement. Remember footbal and beer on Sunday's.

;Dl

jakester

« Reply #75 on: Sep 16, 2005, 03:18 »
Like Homer would say....MMMMMM BEEEER, MMMMM FOOOTBALL!!  Seriously though, good luck with the outage, hopefully this one comes togrther a little better than spring ;) After all, with the price of Nat. Gas, using nuclear generated electricity as a supplement looks better each and every year!!!

slattmandu

« Reply #76 on: Sep 19, 2005, 11:49 »
Have a good outage to all !!!!

allforthenukie

« Reply #77 on: Oct 08, 2005, 08:10 »
Yes, JA was here for a few days but I think he's gone back to the island because I haven't seen him in a while. Not sure what he was here for. Make recommendations to cut RP tech jobs? That's the rumor I heard. RP techs SITTING at the containment checkpoint desk!?! Can't have that.
Outage seems to be rockin' along in typical beach snafu style. Lets "getter done" folks.

Oly

« Reply #78 on: Oct 13, 2005, 08:33 »
 ;D  'member folks, him and the don is buds from the day!  Now, about that drill........

How's da Bucky?

Offline imbucky

• Light User
« Reply #79 on: Oct 18, 2005, 07:54 »
I heard the "Flag ship" didn't do so well on the drill? We are suppose to be more like you guys? That's what we hear?
The Old RV Head is gone down the road, should be in MN by now? Head projects are over so Bucky is better...for now... :P
Got anybody that can come help with Nozzle Dams?  ;)

;D  'member folks, him and the don is buds from the day!  Now, about that drill........

How's da Bucky?

Oly

« Reply #80 on: Oct 18, 2005, 08:13 »
 ;)  If there wasn't so much twitchin' you'd have the Harvinator to help.......

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #81 on: Nov 13, 2005, 08:04 »
Outage update!

Well we were close to being back online. But we are going to pull the new head off due to a stuck rod. Two more weeks added to the schedule. But will the crews support this? 

This will interfer deer hunting ................... internal conflicts of  cheese land. 

Stay tuned.

jakester

« Reply #82 on: Nov 14, 2005, 06:21 »
Thanks for the update!! Hopefully at least some of you will be able to take off for some hunting. I'll wave as I pass by on my way to the shack in Wabeno!!!

refuelflunkie

« Reply #83 on: Jan 20, 2006, 12:13 »
The winds of change says that some cuts to the RP dept. are coming your way.  Any truth to that?

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #84 on: Jan 20, 2006, 03:26 »
Yes the winds of change are blowing in from the West. The new NMC Fleet standard is to optimize departments on each individual site.

The Fleet budget money has to come from someplace ya know!

:-\

allforthenukie

« Reply #85 on: Jan 20, 2006, 04:14 »
Okay, at times like this the information given to the workers is always foggy and vague but as far as I can figure from the hearsay and innuendo...
As I understand it, the "fleet" high command has issued personel quotas for the specific work groups at the plants it operates. For example, all single unit plants shall have exactly this many RP techs and all two unit plants shall have THIS many RP techs. These personel quotas apply to all of the work groups, administrative, maint, etc. at the plants "the fleet" operates. Nobody seems to have any idea how they came up with the personel quota numbers for the work groups, but they say the numbers shall be met.
Word has it that, in the eyes of "the fleet", the RP group at the Beach is 6 techs too many. Assurances have been given that the RP numbers will be met by attrition without anybody being laid off. Think I should believe that?
I keep thinking of the old Willie Nelson song playing over and over again in my head, "On The Road Again". That's where I could be by springtime!
There is supposed to be something about this to be announced on the 27th.
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2006, 02:25 by allforthenukie »

refuelflunkie

« Reply #86 on: Jan 31, 2006, 01:29 »
Well, the 27th has come and gone.  Any word for you guys at the Beach?  Are any of you gone?

allforthenukie

« Reply #87 on: Jan 31, 2006, 02:29 »
The personel cuts announced for the RP group are... 1 ALARA tech, 1 dosimetry clerk, 2 lead RP techs, 2 RP techs, 3 decon workers.

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #88 on: Jan 31, 2006, 08:34 »
having worked pb since the breadbad/madukas era i am sincerely sorry, both for the workers and for their families, to learn about these changes...

does attrition, those that may have planned to leave, play a part in this..

how many rp leads and rp techs were there before these reductions...

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #89 on: Feb 01, 2006, 07:01 »
Seabrook and Pilgrim are hiring - get online to their sites ASAP - the easiest way to get a house tech job is to be a house tech. You are already a proven commodity, with little need for expensive training.
In New England, you can substitute "lobstah" for "braaahts". The beer is a bit different (Sam Adams vs Heileman), and our "lake" is salt water. All else is the same.
Good luck to all, PB is a good place.
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

allforthenukie

« Reply #90 on: Feb 01, 2006, 03:19 »
As far as I know the numbers look like this...
Positions eliminated will be 2 RP Lead Techs(from 6), 2 RP techs(from 18), 1 ALARA tech(from 2), 1 dosimetry clerk(from 2), 3 decon(from 7). Additional positions being eliminated include, 9 secretarys, 2 office assistants, 1 material inspector, 1 nuclear engineering assistant, and 1 messenger.
We don't really know exactly WHO will be laid off yet. The jobs being eliminated have been announced, but that is just the beginning of the process. In the next couple months severence packages will be offered. Then the choice of voluntary layoff or "bumping" into a lower seniority persons job will be offered. Since some of the people whose positions are being eliminated have years of seniority, there are a lot of people in the various work groups who are vulnerable to being "bumped" out of their jobs. But then they can bump someone with less seniority than them out of another job. The crap rolls downhill and eventually some workers end up out of a job. They say it takes several months for the whole thing to play out.
Sounds like just a big mess to me, but it must make sense to someone. Everyone switching to different jobs with the lowest paid people being eliminated. I don't understand how this saves money or helps anything.
It's impossible to know exactly how this will all turn out at this time. Some say there's even a chance that it might not happen at all.
Thanks to those who sent job leads and contacts for us.
As far as I'm concerned the WORST thing that can happen to me is I end up back on the road working the outages, and that isn't very bad at all.
« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2006, 03:23 by allforthenukie »

Offline imbucky

• Light User
« Reply #91 on: Feb 16, 2006, 09:42 »
This is all just my opinion..... >:(
The beach is continuing to lose resources to our neighbor up the road, KNPP now owned by Dominion. From what we've heard there is a "gentlemans agreement" from what we've heard that there won't be anymore "cherry picking".
Why would we, at the beach, blame anyone for running up the road.
Case in point. NE Wisconsin got hammered today with a big blizzard that crippled much of the area. Everything was shutting down by the hour and as the morning went on there were several severe weather and blizzard warnings.
KPS sent employees home and kept only essential employees for ERO. If they pay them or if they don't it doesn't matter, as long as they send the message to the employee that they are an asset.
On the other hand, PBNP sent a memo that employees could do make up time or use vacation if they wish, just like any other day. Reprsented employees were not allowed to take "unpaid absence" even though we have a procedure that explains this whole thing on incliment weather. Gee, Thanks.
Explain again why we lose all those management people to our neighbor??
All we can do is read in the newspapers how we may be sold and how we are reducing staff while the NMC reassures us that they are the "company of choice"  too bad we are Americas Dairyland and not the show me state.....I personally have seen enough...bring in ERA and have a open house.
The grass might not be greener on the other side but it's gotta be better than what we have for morale now.....
We are still in a CAL, Catagory 4, and so on but now have too may people so we need to optimize to the NMC fleet??!!?? Funny how we need to be like everyone else and they are hiring?
OK, I'm done...sorry for the vent...I'm out... :-X

Offline Dustball

• Moderate User
  • -40F Keeps out the RiffRaff
« Reply #92 on: Feb 17, 2006, 11:52 »
Wait until *ssport!!! I mean passport!

NMC is not the "fleet of choice"?? Fleet Enema of choice!
I thought the letter below says there is not displeasure with NMC :) 
Stirring the pot some more!!!
I feel for ya!  Hey, whatever happened to our spaceship? 

So...... What's the over/under on NMC?  6 months?

WEC to review Point Beach options, reflects ‘no displeasure’ with NMC

Feb. 9, 2006

Wisconsin Energy Corp. (WEC) will spend the year evaluating four options related to the Point Beach plant, including continued operation by NMC, hiring a third-party operator other than NMC, returning to in-house operation by Wisconsin Electric, or selling the plant.

WEC officials announced the plan to review options for Point Beach during a conference call with investment analysts Wednesday.

“We will be thorough and deliberate in carrying out this review during 2006, and we will provide you with an update when we have reached our conclusions in the fourth quarter this year,” said Gale Klappa, WEC’s President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO). We Energies, a unit of WEC, owns the Point Beach plant.

While stating that reductions in the size of the NMC fleet influenced their decision to evaluate options for Point Beach, Klappa and Rick Kuester, President and CEO of WEC unit We Generation, emphasized that NMC’s performance in operating Point Beach was not a factor in their plan.

The WEC officials also expressed their belief that decisions by other owners of plants operated by NMC did not reflect any displeasure with NMC’s performance. In fact, they noted, NMC has improved the performance of all the plants that it has operated.

NMC assumed the operation of five nuclear plants (and seven units) in 2000: Duane Arnold (single unit), Kewaunee (single unit), Monticello (single unit), Point Beach (two-unit) and Prairie Island (two-unit). In 2001, NMC assumed operation of the single-unit Palisades plant, bringing the fleet to eight nuclear units.

The fleet has been reduced in size since then, with the sale of Kewaunee in July 2005 from Wisconsin Public Service (WPS) to Dominion Resources and the sale of Duane Arnold from Alliant Energy to FPL Energy last month. Consumers Energy, the owner of the Palisades plant, also has announced its intent to sell that plant.

Referring to WPS, Alliant and Consumers Energy, Kuester told analysts that, “None of those companies . . . made those decisions based on NMC performance. I think all the owners [in NMC] have been pleased with the performance and improvements in performance they have gotten out of the units.

“There were other business reasons at work for those other owners,” Kuester continued. “I don’t want anyone to interpret that there’s displeasure with NMC performance. It’s simply that every company has to evaluate their situation, their customer needs, their portfolio and make a decision based on that.”

Klappa also said WEC has “not concluded that NMC is not a viable operator. In fact,” he added, “if you look around the country at the size of fleets, certainly there are some major nuclear consolidators, but there are other operators doing very well with the size of the fleet that NMC would have. … And, as Rick mentioned, NMC’s track record in improving the performance at every one of the plants that it’s operated has been quite positive.”

Oly

« Reply #93 on: Feb 18, 2006, 10:52 »
 :(  Wel here at the Island, C rated folks have been let go :-[ looks as if the procedure is bein' followed.

Now if those fan coils would jus stop leakin'.......$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Offline Dustball

• Moderate User
« Reply #94 on: Feb 18, 2006, 09:01 »
WO
AKA: Oly

Nice procedure for them to pick and actually follow.  How are you guys handling following all of the passport procedures??  I heard at the palace they can't handle the change and are reverting back on some of the procedures.  nice, eh?  we're trying....  you 2 have an outage to deal with.  "The Beach" is next. 

quote author=Oly link=topic=945.msg39480#msg39480 date=1140277976]
 :(  Wel here at the Island, C rated folks have been let go :-[ looks as if the procedure is bein' followed.

Now if those fan coils would jus stop leakin'.......$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
[/quote]

Oly

« Reply #95 on: Feb 21, 2006, 07:25 »
 ;D You mean "pisspoor", when you have no clue how to plan work, it IS a shock to work in the 21st century :D. We want to be just like Progress Energy. Used to be a mission statement or somethin'

I can't wait to get TC in the can - HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE

I'm sure Randy will show him some love too.....

If your bored you could go to batonrougecycling, some interesting reading there..... :-X. Blocked at work though, wonder why?????????

Offline Dustball

• Moderate User
« Reply #96 on: Jul 02, 2006, 08:07 »
NMC UPDATE

Solicitation of potential bidders for Point Beach begins Friday

June 29, 2006

A “market test” to explore options for the future ownership and operation of the Point Beach plant will begin Friday (June 30) with the issuance of an “early interest” letter to prospective buyers of the plant.

Concentric Energy Advisors, a consulting firm hired by Point Beach owner We Energies, will issue the letter on the company’s behalf to all nuclear plant operators in the United States and some in Canada.

We Energies is a subsidiary of Wisconsin Energy Corp. (WEC), which announced earlier this year that it would spend 2006 evaluating options for the future of Point Beach—including continued operation by NMC or selling the plant.

We Energies’ timeline for the market test was outlined in a message from Site Vice President Dennis Koehl to Point Beach employees last week.

According to Koehl, issuance of the early interest letter is the first step in the market test process. The letter’s purpose is to solicit responses from parties that may have an interest in buying and/or operating Point Beach for We Energies. The letter also will inform parties of the process for participating in the market test.

Based on responses to the early interest letter, Concentric will then issue an “information memorandum” to all qualified bidders in mid-July. The memorandum will include detail about plant operations supplied by Point Beach, We Energies and NMC staff.

After that, qualified bidders will have a chance to submit questions and requests for more information to staff. That process will require responses from various employees and will continue through November.

Potential bidders will have a chance to tour Point Beach from mid-August through early September. Tours will be completed before Point Beach starts a planned refueling outage in the fall. Concentric intends to maintain the confidentiality of each bidder as much as possible, in part by assigning code names that must be used throughout the market test process.

WEC and We Energies officials have said they expect to make a decision on the future of Point Beach late this year. Until a final decision is made, NMC remains responsible for the safe and reliable operation of the plant.

In his message to employees, Koehl noted that while “this is an exciting time for [Point Beach], it also has the potential to be distracting. Please remain focused on doing your job right the first time, while concentrating on quality.”

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #97 on: Jul 07, 2006, 08:04 »
We Energies consultant solicits interest in Point Beach

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel By THOMAS CONTENT; Posted: July 5, 2006

"Milwaukee-based We Energies has taken another step that could lead to the sale of its nuclear plant, Point Beach.

A consulting firm hired by the utility has sent letters to owners and operators of nuclear plants across the country seeking input on whether they would want to buy the plant or operate the plant on behalf of We Energies.

The letter was sent Friday by Concentric Energy Advisors, the consulting firm that has handled two recent nuclear plant sales in the Upper Midwest. Concentric, based in Marlborough, Mass., worked with Madison-based Alliant Energy Corp. in the sale of its controlling stake in an Iowa nuclear plant. And Concentric is managing the auction of a Michigan reactor by CMS Energy Corp.

The We Energies letter details an auction process that would culminate with interested firms touring the plant in late summer and submitting bids by late November.

We Energies announced in February that it would conduct a review this year of whether to keep or sell Point Beach, which is in Two Creeks in Manitowoc County. The review came as a result of recent nuclear plant sales and the concern that there will be just three plants left being managed by Nuclear Management Co. of Hudson."

« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2006, 09:11 by PWHoppe »

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #98 on: Oct 11, 2006, 10:38 »
Well the deal of the Pont Beach sale should almost be final. The marketing surveys have been completed and I am sure that the bids have been submitted.

The only thing left is to announce who made the deal.

The NMC posted an article on the feasiblity of a 2 plant fleet.

Any rumors in the country on the fate of Point Beach?

The employee's are always the last to know.

hurricanefan

« Reply #99 on: Oct 11, 2006, 12:20 »
Was told that Entergy is going to purchase the Beach.  That came from upper management at one of our Northeast sites.

vikingfan

« Reply #100 on: Oct 12, 2006, 08:20 »
well i also heard that dominion is interested in point beach heard that from some higher ups in dominion.

Offline Radwraith

• Heavy User
  • How much am I getting for this?
« Reply #101 on: Oct 13, 2006, 03:36 »
done deal...june 07...dominion
Remember the seven P's: Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #102 on: Oct 13, 2006, 02:22 »
Thanks for the info Rad!

The real scope is always with the troops anyway.

Maith thu! (Well done)

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #103 on: Oct 27, 2006, 07:33 »
Unit 2 is in a refueling outage and the core has been off loaded. The deer hunters aren't liking the outage interference >:(

Happy Samhain

M1Ark

« Reply #104 on: Dec 02, 2006, 07:27 »

The only thing left is to announce who made the deal.

Any rumors in the country on the fate of Point Beach?

The employee's are always the last to know.

FPL. TBA in a few weeks.

allforthenukie

« Reply #105 on: Dec 20, 2006, 10:16 »
Wow M1Ark, you were right! It's Florida Power & Light. How did you know both who the winning buyer would be and when the announcment would be? Psychic?
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2006, 10:20 by allforthenukie »

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #106 on: Dec 20, 2006, 02:28 »
Looks like a nice setup for the locals. FP&L release says no changes in middle management next 18 months, and contracts will be honored. Congratulations to all there (cause you could have been bought by a larger company than FP&L).
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #107 on: Dec 21, 2006, 08:27 »
Yes we had a meeting yesterday with FPL and they are going to be our new master. It's barbecue flamingo for all.

Nollaig Shona Duit!

(Merry Christmas)

evil-leprachaun

U1R30
« Reply #108 on: Apr 04, 2007, 02:46 »
Well we are into our spring outage.With the snow blowing today you would think winter was coming.

Smooth sailing so far!

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #109 on: Apr 26, 2007, 07:23 »
Well the head is on and no more snow! So it's smooth sailing here!

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #110 on: May 05, 2007, 08:38 »
Well the outage is drawing to a close. Steam is flowing from the pot and the turbine roll is on its way. Getting ready for my 3 weeks of vacation in Eire!

azupka

« Reply #111 on: Sep 27, 2007, 07:32 »
What job shops are filling engineering positions at Point Beach?  My wife is being moved to Kewaunee and I'm looking for work in the area.

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #112 on: Sep 27, 2007, 07:54 »
Proto Power was supplying the Engineering guys last I knew. I do believe it was the Naperville office.

Slainte

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #113 on: Sep 27, 2007, 07:57 »
But the station is scheduled to have new owners on Friday 28th Sept 2007, it will be a FPLE plant so maybe the shops will change.

Offline radbitch

• Heavy User
« Reply #114 on: Oct 03, 2007, 04:44 »
FPL adds to nuclear holdings by buying Wisconsin facility

FPL Group added to its nuclear stable on Monday with the closing of a $924 million deal with Wisconsin Energy Corp. for its Point Beach nuclear plant.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20071002/BUSINESS/710020460

s1wlightning@msn.com

« Reply #115 on: Oct 03, 2007, 09:23 »
I just went up to point beach for an interview yesterday, and have a friend that just hired on about three months ago.  As far as I'm told, all is well and good and everything is normal.  I did hear a lot of complaining though while I was in there that a lot of people were have glitches on their computers due to switch over to different programs. 

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #116 on: Oct 04, 2007, 06:56 »
Yeah I got my flamingo hard hat and alligator safety boots at the gate Monday morning! :)

Time will tell how it goes. We had the entrance meeting yesterday with the usual two step speech, a new master with the same old lines.

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #117 on: Apr 06, 2008, 11:47 »
We have started our spring outage on Unit 2. Heard today that the outage manager left on Friday.

The Flamingo has landed.

bogeyplus1

« Reply #118 on: Apr 07, 2008, 10:09 »
Heard today that the outage manager left on Friday.

That is not necessarily a bad thing

Offline ruth13

• Sr Dosimetry Tech
  • Moderate User
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #119 on: Apr 09, 2008, 08:52 »
Looks like they had a little excitement in WI.....

"450 evacuated from Point Beach Nuclear Plant

New worker's comment misunderstood by clerk"

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080408/GPG0101/80408115/1978
'We do not believe if we do not live and work according to our belief."
Heidi Wills

Doors

« Reply #120 on: Apr 11, 2008, 08:15 »
Just accepted an offer at pbnp.

This site was imformative for eei testing and other questions I had.
Thanks NukeWorker!

Testing next week for security clearance; hopefully all goes well.

wolfxoman

« Reply #121 on: Apr 13, 2008, 06:39 »
Just accepted an offer at pbnp.

This site was imformative for eei testing and other questions I had.
Thanks NukeWorker!

Testing next week for security clearance; hopefully all goes well.

Congrats on the position was it for AO/NPOT?
If so see ya soon. 8)

Offline Drywell Rat

• Very Lite User
  • He's so hot in that banana suit!!!!
« Reply #122 on: May 01, 2008, 12:37 »
     Before I review Point Beach, let’s keep a couple things in mind. First, this is only my 2nd nuke plant and 6th outage. I prefer the BWR with the Mark I containment as opposed to the “cans” that most nuke workers like (wimps). Also, I understand that much is changing at PB since FPL took over and transition can be tough. Lastly, I am a craft, so I do not see the plants the way many of the bloggers on here do that are engineers, RP’s, or deconners. That being said, I believe the reviews I give are fair.
     For the crafts, the hours were few, the rules ludicrous, and many of us will be hard pressed to go back. The safety stand downs didn’t seem to solve much except lose FPL money by making 80 workers sit around all day to be scolded. With the exception of the workers that hit the mercury switch, almost shutting the plant down prematurely, most issues should have been addressed in private with warnings. Maybe then FPL wouldn’t have been so concerned about their bottom line. Ha, funny.
      The RP’s were informative and patient, I actually felt like they were looking out for me instead of just trying to tell everybody what to do! They even shared some pizza with me when I hadn’t been able to buy food for my lunch (thanks guys!). Security isn’t as tight as some plants, so you get a little breathing room there and they seem pretty friendly as well. As for the plant itself, it’s clean, but not by any means spotless, especially if you’re the one crawling around, looking for components. If you are looking for a valve or other component, good luck, I’m used to grid or column lines with elevations and azimuths, none of which we had here. As for pay, I took a 13% cut but wouldn’t have minded if the hours had been there. The DZNPS supervision was fair, especially considering that they had to constantly bend to FPL’s will and when we were running short on harnesses, they rectified the problem expeditiously.
     I don’t understand the almost heavy handed way FPL ran the show at PB, numerous travelers said that the FPL relationship with contract labor at other plants wasn’t nearly so adversarial, even when the contractor was DZNPS. Maybe it’s because they’re still in the middle of transition, I don’t know. Word on the street was that a lot of old WE employees left with inexperienced workers to fill the positions. Hopefully, if I decide to return for the fall outage, things will have calmed down by then. But that’s a big “if”.
Globalization is exploitation.
In a world of 7 billion, you are NOT special, unique, or important.

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #123 on: May 01, 2008, 01:16 »
I do believe that the old dogs are trying to impress the new masters.

As for staffing:
The flood gates of the human wave is not even mid stream at the moment.

Happy outage!

Birdog

« Reply #124 on: May 02, 2008, 12:55 »
evil-leprachaun, I'm trying to figure out who you are??  Besides bored.  You know me, Im sure.  Everyone knows the "Birdog" LOL

tennbuck

« Reply #125 on: May 04, 2008, 11:19 »
Carpenter looking at the 9/2008 outage.
how long will outage be(really), says 4.3 weeks?
how many hours/days a week do they typically work during outages?
whats the pay and per diem?
contact number?

any info would be appreciated

thanks

Offline Drywell Rat

• Very Lite User
  • He's so hot in that banana suit!!!!
« Reply #126 on: May 06, 2008, 11:47 »
Tennbuck,
Your guess is as good as mine. We barely got in more than 60 hours/week and even had to work 8's the 3 days before shutdown. Nobody was very happy, especially the fitters and electricians. Also, they laid almost everybody off before the outage even ended.This next outage may be different but I am looking elsewhere first.
GSA per diem lists this area as $99/day.
Globalization is exploitation.
In a world of 7 billion, you are NOT special, unique, or important.

Offline nickscott13

• Light User
« Reply #127 on: May 07, 2008, 03:37 »
hey Birddog, click on his name, check out his email address.  if that doesnt tell you who he is, not sure what else to say to you.

I actually enjoyed this outage alot.  At least from an RP perspective.  The RP group is great and there was hardly a dull moment, especially if you came over to the decon area. 

As for the plant, word on the street from an FPL employee is that there are going to be some big changes at PBNP in the next few months.

As for Rats take on the plant, I cant relate to your craft so theres no need for me to even try and compare.  we worked 72's just about the entire time, with the exception of training.  The stand down needed to happen.  when you have 1 or 2 instances, then you can have private meetings, but when there are constant events concerning safety, then yes, you need a stand down. 

Overall, I loved this place and would recommend it to anyone.  Per Diem is 95 and the cost of living isnt too bad.  The only thing that gets old is the wind ripping off of lake michigan.

And if you cant figure out who I am by looking at my handle, well, not quite sure what to say to you!

Birdog

« Reply #128 on: May 29, 2008, 06:13 »
Hey Nick, Thanks, I figured it out. 

Nice working with you this last outage, hope you come back. The evil general has left!!   Take care,  Birdog

Offline iroyster

• Very Lite User
Will be at Point Beach in September
« Reply #129 on: Aug 06, 2008, 09:59 »
Heading back to the "Beach" in September.  Looking forward to getting there!!!!!!
Ira :)
Work Safe and Do Good Work

Offline iroyster

• Very Lite User
« Reply #130 on: Aug 06, 2008, 10:11 »
Carpenter looking at the 9/2008 outage.
how long will outage be(really), says 4.3 weeks?
how many hours/days a week do they typically work during outages?
whats the pay and per diem?
contact number?

any info would be appreciated

thanks

Try  this web site not sure how accurate but looks close http://www.findunionwork.com/outage_central/outage_work.php?find_unionwork_PSID=4l0uesif81923iup6d9bocb5p0this

Ira

Offline bradley535

• Light User
  • My employer found me at NukeWorker.com
Moving There
« Reply #131 on: Aug 13, 2008, 10:34 »
Hello all,
   Just thought I'd start a topic about Point Beach and what it would take to move there for all those who may need the advice... Like myself.
   I recently accepted a position with FPL up at the Point Beach facility, and will be moving to the Green Bay area. I have a few questions and concerns before I head up there. Most importantly, what is a good bank? I've maintained an account with another bank for years, but their service and charges leave something to be desired. For that reason, I was hoping to get a little more detail before signing up with another bank. If you've found a good bank, please let me know where.
   What's a good location to move a growing family into? I have a wife and one child (3 year boy). Where is a good place to move to, not too far from the city, not too far from the plant.
   Once I'm up there, how does FPL deal with getting my family up there with me? I am certain that they can't just give me 30 days to get everything established while I'm on the clock, but what can I expect. Anyone whose done a recent move may have a little more information on what to expect, and I will repost an answer to my own question once I've moved myself.
   I'm sure there is more to ask, and more useful information out there. Please share what you can and ask what you need.
     Very Respectfully,
           Bradley Derington

Offline iroyster

• Very Lite User
Re: Moving There
« Reply #132 on: Aug 13, 2008, 09:24 »
Good evening!
I can't help too much but I did open an account at the local branch of Wells Fargo in Two Rivers.  They were all very nice people and glad to help me.
Don't know from where you are moving from but be prepared for cold if you are not from a northern state.  I was last there from March until May and being from Georgia I was frozen.  Even with the cold I thoroughly enjoyed working with everyone there.  Everybody was super nice.
I am returning on 8/25/08 and should be there for 8-10 weeks.  Look me up if you are there by then.  You can locate me at the Day and Zimmerman NPS office in the safety Dept.
Good luck and congrats on your new job.
Ira

Offline NightCrawler

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #133 on: Sep 06, 2008, 01:43 »
For those of you who may be coming to The Beach for U1R31, if you have dogs and are concerned with what to do for them while you work, our good friend and ex-deconner Adrianne Spaulding has opened her new business in Manitowoc.  Central Bark is a full time doggy daycare and dog grooming store, and Adrianne and her staff will go out of their way to make your dog's stay a great one.  In order for your dog to stay there, the dog must be current on rabies, distemper, and kennel cough shots.  They also have what is called Canine Cab where they can pick up and drop off the dog each day.  For more information, check it out on www.centralbarkusa.com.

bogeyplus1

« Reply #134 on: Oct 22, 2008, 09:40 »
It is pretty quiet, the outage must be going fairly well.

Dick Pickles

« Reply #135 on: Feb 18, 2009, 07:23 »
With a deep sense of hope they seem to be recovering from the NMC saga that has left Point Beach in a sort of crippled state in a couple of ways.
They have gone from a Fleet Optimization to a (reluctant) staffing increase. This is one of PBNP’s sorest wounds and a hurdle that’s glad to be past. The Slinkster and his head nodding have cut the deepest. Although staffing increases have been kept to a minimum and it’s slowwww to get things going back in the right direction and look at things like retirements and fatigue rules.
The worst part of the whole change in management was that they always thought that it couldn’t get any worse.
Well, it did…..
Putting people in the wrong places long enough (like Chemistry Supervisors running an RP Dept) in a mere couple of years has set Point Beach back so far that it’s hard to imagine when and how long it’ll take to recover.
Now that some of the worst nightmares are gone they are finding the skeletons left behind? These plans on how to “cull the weak” (no kidding, they actually had plans on how to get rid of people) are apparent. They’re lucky that the people that wanted to dictate and “how dare you question my authority” have shoved off to create havoc and some other poor nuke plant, good ridings!
After all this Point Beach still has a sort of reputation of being hard to visit. Well, if it was, they’ve changed, if they haven’t changed enough, they’ll work at it. They stick together because of what they’ve been through in the last few years, that’s what’s kept them together, them watching each others back….
If you go there and wanna get in the RPM’s ear about how wrong they are with all the procedures and how they should do it, please feel free. But don’t think he’ll be real eager to bring ya’ll back, he is from Philly right?
OK, that’s all, gotta pack my outage suitcase?
 ;D

Offline vagabond

• Light User
« Reply #136 on: Mar 11, 2009, 01:20 »
I'm interested in a position in Operations at PB, but looking over some posts I'm curious about a few things.  What's the current state of management at PB?  Have things turned around since FPL's takeover?  It seems some of the past experiences with PB weren't that great, as is reflected in the the poll results.  Although my experience will be different than many that post here, anything will help.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2009, 04:37 by vagabond »
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

justatech

« Reply #137 on: Jun 05, 2009, 10:45 »
If you go there and wanna get in the RPM’s ear about how wrong they are with all the procedures and how they should do it, please feel free. But don’t think he’ll be real eager to bring ya’ll back, he is from Philly right?
OK, that’s all, gotta pack my outage suitcase?
 ;D

I found this comment to be rather interesting because he was at my plant prior to PB as the RPM and did listen to the techs. So I'm curious as to the approach you took in discussing the issue at hand?
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2009, 08:31 by justatech »

Offline sscone

• Moderate User
« Reply #138 on: Dec 06, 2010, 03:18 »
Just some info on being in Wisconsin. I am headed there in Feb. Wondering if I need a 4 wheel drive? And what to wear? I'm an Alabamian and this is way out of my element for winter.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #139 on: Dec 06, 2010, 03:29 »
Just some info on being in Wisconsin. I am headed there in Feb. Wondering if I need a 4 wheel drive? And what to wear? I'm an Alabamian and this is way out of my element for winter.

The fishing is great, bring your waders.   [devious]

Learn to layer your clothes don't buy one big heavy coat, it will be cold and the plant is right on the lake. You got boot socks, nice heavy ones? Snow tires are a better investment than a four wheel drive but it wouldn't hurt. The nearby town of Two Rivers is pronounced Trivers by the locals.
   On the bright side they have lots of very nice sports bars. I got a free tee-shirt from one of them for about a hundred dollars many years ago.

Offline sscone

• Moderate User
« Reply #140 on: Dec 07, 2010, 11:00 »
Thanks guys for the info. Marssim the Jetta doesn't have much ground clearance. Is that a problem? I thought about getting some different rims and snow tires on it, but I think the ground clearance might be an issue. Let me know what ya think. I was thinking of buying another front wheel drive car.

evil-leprachaun

2011 update
« Reply #141 on: Apr 06, 2011, 10:53 »
Well we have just finished refueling Uni2 2R31 and the Unit is still off line with the Power Uprate modifications.
We will be doing Unit 1 Uprate in the fall of 2001.

The weather is improving with Bealtaine almost here.
Slainte

Offline bradley535

• Light User
  • My employer found me at NukeWorker.com
« Reply #142 on: Apr 21, 2011, 01:21 »
ILT 2011 class is up for the NRC exam starting Monday. Time to put up or shut up.

We are nervous, but optimistic. 10 SROTs and 2 COTs are going up. All good guys, and me. It's been a long 2-years and now it's down to the next two weeks.

Offline fueldryer

• Heavy User
  • Call Before You Dig !
Re: 2011 update
« Reply #143 on: Apr 21, 2011, 06:24 »
Well we have just finished refueling Uni2 2R31 and the Unit is still off line with the Power Uprate modifications.
We will be doing Unit 1 Uprate in the fall of 2001.

The weather is improving with Bealtaine almost here.
Slainte

RP's were a pleasure to work with at the Beach,OP's on the other hand were real A#*Ho*'s.Plant manager was a joke as well,texting on his phone during an IPTE brief.Real professional stand up kind of guy...
Call Before You Dig!

Offline Frankie Love

• Very Heavy User
  • You don't miss the water...until the well runs dry
« Reply #144 on: Apr 22, 2011, 11:59 »
Plant manager was a joke as well,texting on his phone during an IPTE brief

Who's the PM and RPM up there now. It's been awhile since I've been there.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #145 on: Apr 23, 2011, 04:37 »
Just some "FYI" for the dude with the jetta, if you have a 1.8t jetta, get your timing belt replaced before 80k miles if you havent done so already. Also, your coolant system is "special and unique" :D. If you take it to some moron mechanic who thinks its normal coolant, expect long headaches as you wait for your replacement engine to come in. Replace once every 60k miles and it should be fine. Its going to be a little pricey and you CAN NOT use normal coolant in that engine, EVER, even after a good flush. German cars... sheesh ;)

Offline nspunx4

• Light User
« Reply #146 on: Feb 07, 2013, 11:08 »
I read that point beach entered into an unusual event action level for a loss of offsite power to the "essential"? Buses for greater than 15 minutes. I read in the event report that the unit remained at power. I thought that loop caused a reactor trip? Is the requirement to shut down only if the safety buses Lose off site power or is there another reason they were able to stay in power operation mode?

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #147 on: Feb 07, 2013, 11:46 »
Auto actuation of the diesel generators keep us up. The safety systems responded as designed.

ski2313

« Reply #148 on: Feb 07, 2013, 12:11 »
And a gigantic gas turbine.

inyourface

« Reply #149 on: Feb 07, 2013, 02:16 »
who is the rpm now?

Fermi2

« Reply #150 on: Feb 07, 2013, 05:07 »
Auto actuation of the diesel generators keep us up. The safety systems responded as designed.

Not entirely, had your diesels not started you still wouldn't have automatically tripped but ECA 0.0 would have driven you to do so.

Many plants define a LOP as Loss Of Offsite Power to Safety Related Buss's. Provided your BOP Equipment and RCPs come off of non safety buswork you can survive a LOP to the safety related busswork. I know my plant is designed that way.

My old plant depended on exactly which train you lost but in any event would have either Automatically tripped or would have been forced to trip.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #151 on: Sep 18, 2015, 08:29 »
sew, whose got the contract four this fall's outage?
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #152 on: Sep 21, 2015, 08:39 »
herd last week that supplemental companies paying $35 par our four a 3.1. whose got this prime, big blew?
« Last Edit: Sep 21, 2015, 09:34 by SloGlo »
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Phurst

• NRRPT-HPT
  • Very Heavy User
  • One in a row!
« Reply #153 on: Mar 02, 2016, 11:49 »
I did last fall...all Bartlett. Bartlett or should I say BHI - this spring. Pay is lagging but the people and work is all good. I enjoy the place even if it is warmer in my freezer than the walk to the gatehouse.
Today is the best day of my life! HSIITBS!

'For the quality of owning freezes you forever into "I" and cuts you off forever from the "we". - Steinbeck

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #154 on: Feb 05, 2022, 03:58 »
Did their outage last fall. Quite a wide range in the plant...some of the best people I have ever worked with...some not so much...

I enjoyed the area. Very pretty with lots of trails.

We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #155 on: Feb 05, 2022, 09:13 »
Did their outage last fall. Quite a wide range in the plant...some of the best people I have ever worked with...some not so much...

I enjoyed the area. Very pretty with lots of trails.

I judge that Minnesota and Wisconsin have the best rails to trails (and similar) networks in all the contiguous 48 states,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
« Reply #156 on: Feb 06, 2022, 10:00 »
One of those trails due North leads to the remains of one of the finest running nuclear power plants in the world. This section has yet to be invaded by the Triffids of the Solar colony to the South. Never was much data made available from the environmental impact study on PB State Forest. Results could be on Hunters laptop.
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2022, 11:55 by fiveeleven »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?