Point Beach

Above Average
28 (41.2%)
Average
19 (27.9%)
Below Average
21 (30.9%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Point Beach  (Read 158257 times)

evil-leprachaun

Re: Point Beach
« Reply #50 on: Apr 13, 2005, 10:55 »
Well the missle sheild is out and there is no turning back. On hot stand bye as of today. The load drop calculation of the RX head is up in the air. The regulator has a few questions that need to be resolved!

OH BOY!   :-X

jakester

« Reply #51 on: Apr 14, 2005, 04:34 »
GIT 'ER DONE !!  I hate to have to use any electricity generated by natural gas this summer ;-) Good luck with the outage.

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #52 on: Apr 17, 2005, 05:49 »
Will do Jakester! The old head was moved today.  ;D

Japetto

« Reply #53 on: Apr 19, 2005, 07:51 »
Point Beach had to declare an Unusual Event today.  They lost the ability of RHR cooling for ~ 12 minutes when operations once again messed up.  We are 124 hours behind schedule, and seems like it is gonna be A LOT more than that before it's over.  Looks like we're gonna miss summer the way this one's going.

jakester

« Reply #54 on: Apr 19, 2005, 09:39 »
Hopefully things will be better when you do Unit 1 this fall. Will the U-1 replacement go on even if there is a lot of problems with U-2?? Best of luck to Y'all, and thanks for providing so much of my electricity. ( I'm on the
WE energies grid.)

sofar

« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2005, 08:39 »
Just in case anyone wants to know we are on day 38 of the 48 day outage and the current scheduel calls for us to be online the 28th of May which when you do the math makes it a 57 day outage but who's counting.  Still no resolution on the Head Calc. and we're having problems getting the lift rig to fit so rumor has it we won't be putting it back on the pot till sometime next week. Begining to feel like the never ending outage all over again.

jakester

« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2005, 04:29 »
Keep us posted on what's up! Just think- it might be an 'outage from hell' but you guys will be making some good coin!!

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2005, 10:48 »
The length of this one is repeating last spring!

:o

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2005, 10:24 »
Day 47 of the outage and still nothing definite about lifting the head.

::)

Offline imbucky

• Light User
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2005, 05:23 »
Currently at day 54. The plant is taking most of the "worker bees" back to 40 hour weeks until we get more news on our Reactor Head Amendment Request. The Bartlett Techs are on the way out for the weekend......
Life is NOT like a box of chocolates.

It's more like a jar of Jalapenos....what you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.......

jakester

« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2005, 09:15 »
What are they doing different to need an  amendment?

Offline imbucky

• Light User
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2005, 03:14 »
Here is the communication the plant put out.

Point Beach waiting to finish refueling outage

May 27, 2005

While most work has been completed, the Point Beach Unit 2 outage remains unfinished pending resolution of questions about replacing the unit’s reactor vessel head. The outage, which began in early April, includes installation of a new head, as well as scheduled maintenance and refueling.

Before the outage began, the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) had requested more information about the plant’s analysis of its heavy load-lifting capability. Subsequently, it was determined that Point Beach had incorporated a 1982 analysis into its Final Safety Analysis Report (FSAR) dealing with heavy load/reactor vessel head drop evaluation.

As a result, Point Beach management put an “administrative hold” on heavy load lifts, including removal of the old Unit 2 head and installation of the new one. After additional dialogue between NRC and NMC, the old head was safely and successfully removed April 17.

The NRC has not ordered Point Beach to delay installation of the new head. However, the agency continues to have questions about the adequacy of the plant’s analysis of a potential drop of a heavy load, such as the reactor vessel head. As a result, work on lifting the new head remains on hold—at the directive of Point Beach Site Vice President Dennis Koehl—until heavy load lift issues are resolved.

Koehl stated, “The analysis involved is ours to resolve and I am confident that we will. In addition, the health and safety of the public also remains at the top of Point Beach’s priority list.”

It's more like a jar of Jalapenos....what you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.......

stownsend

« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2005, 02:31 »
Don't mean to sound dumb,but what does NMC stand for.I haven't been to the Point yet but wish you all luck with completion.Take the money while you can.You're days on the lake are around the corner.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2005, 03:04 »
Don't mean to sound dumb,but what does NMC stand for.I haven't been to the Point yet but wish you all luck with completion.Take the money while you can.You're days on the lake are around the corner.

NMC stands for Nuclear Management Company.  I had to ask myself before.  No dumb questions other than the ones you don't ask.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #64 on: Jun 05, 2005, 07:32 »
This one will be long and grueling. I do believe that Westinghouse will end up performing the analysis of the head lift. They have quoted a 4 month period to accomplish that.

:-X

Of course this is not a new situation. The extra weight on the intergrated RX package is a known fact. I do believe that other facilities did not use that package just for this fact................ TOO HEAVY!

SO what does NMC stand for?

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #65 on: Jun 06, 2005, 12:27 »
SO what does NMC stand for?
NMC stands for Nuclear Management Company.  I had to ask myself before.  No dumb questions other than the ones you don't ask.

If you read the posts above, you may find the answer before you ask the question.
« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2005, 12:27 by RDTroja »
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

jakester

« Reply #66 on: Jun 06, 2005, 04:04 »
Evil-leprachaun knows what NMC  stands for.  He was asking sarcasticaly ;)

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #67 on: Jun 06, 2005, 04:30 »
I forgot to apply the technician:sarcasm correction factor.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Oly

« Reply #68 on: Jun 24, 2005, 10:19 »
 ;D

No More Crescents!! - if you're at the Island.

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #69 on: Jun 27, 2005, 10:12 »
Well we have come to terms with the regulator and the RX head is in place. Should be producinging $$$$ by the 15th of July.

Things are heating up in the heartland and the juice is needed to keep comfy!

Red alert on the grid will be common until breaker close.

CheeseheadNuke

« Reply #70 on: Jun 27, 2005, 11:28 »
Since the beginning, NMC has always stood for the same thing : 
     NOT MY COMPANY !!!!!

RIP   NMC   KNPP   

Offline imbucky

• Light User
« Reply #71 on: Jul 05, 2005, 03:54 »
We're closing in on day 95 of a ~42 day outage. (sarcasm correction factor applied)
Starting to heat up over 350 and climbing. Might have a start up date of ~July 13th.

GET-ER-DONE

jakester

« Reply #72 on: Jul 12, 2005, 03:13 »
I see Unit 2 is at 23% power. Must be finally starting up!! When is Unit one supposed to come apart?

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #73 on: Jul 14, 2005, 11:36 »
Yes we are ramping up Unit 2 here at "The Beach". In late September Unit 1 is scheduled to receive new head.

8)
Keep in ya cool this summer!

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #74 on: Sep 15, 2005, 01:34 »
Well we are starting to get ready for the fall outage - Unit 1 RX head replacement. Remember footbal and beer on Sunday's.

;Dl

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?