Wolf Creek

Above Average
17 (48.6%)
Average
12 (34.3%)
Below Average
6 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Wolf Creek  (Read 69202 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Wolf Creek
« on: Nov 30, 2002, 08:09 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Wolf Creek Contracts
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2002, 03:46 »
Please reply to this topic if you have (or know who has) a contract at this facility.  If you (they) have multiple contracts (i.e. QC & NDE) please mention all of them.  Also, please remember to post company contact information, including but not limited to company phone number, email and web site address.  Also, if there is a specific person at the company people should ask for, you should mention their name and extension. We maintain a chart of contracts, the information posted here will be added to the contract chart.

This includes any information on Local Unions!
Chart: http://www.nukeworker.com/jobs/contract_lists/

DNJONES

Re: Wolf Creek Contracts
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2003, 02:53 »
THE ATLANTIC GROUP HAS MOST OF THE SKILLED CRAFT CONTRACTS.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
Re: Talk About: Wolf Creek
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2003, 04:27 »
Visited on a benchmarking trip in Oct. 2001.  Friendly people, very clean plant.  If we ever do labor-sharing with them I'd have to go at least once.  There are some things I'd like to bring back to Callaway from there, like the lake & the lodge.  
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

fawhead

Re: Wolf Creek
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2003, 04:12 »
There is many lodging around Wolf Creek. Some to save you money.
In Osage City, Ks (which is about 40 miles away) there is a Bed and Breakfast called "The RoseMary Inn" located at 210 Market St. phone number (785) 528-4498
It is a nice place and you might even get a good rate for weekly to monthly. Just ask them.
In Lyndon which is about the same distance. There is Lamont Hill. It's a motel with a resturant near by. Some of their cabin's have kitchenett's in them. (785) 828-3131
There are some in Lebo and at Beto Junction as well. But these are probably your cheaper ones. In Osage you might be able to even rent houses/trailers/apartments cheaper as well. You can call our local paper to find out what might be opened for your time of arrival. Osage County Chronicle (785) 654-3621.

I hope this helps.
Fawhead

Offline darkmatter

• Heavy Metal Poster Child
  • Heavy User
  • you don't know the power of the dark side.
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2003, 04:57 »
I've worked several outrages at Wolf Creek. As for Burlington ks. All I can say is Burlington is an excellent example of why a limited gene pool is a bad idea!  (i)

Seriously, every time I went into a local shop for something, the clerk/owner would look at me puzzled like for a minute or two then invariabley say " You ain't from around here are you, you in for the outage?"  ::)

Wolf Creek is a fine place to work or visit, but don't go house. They hired Chicken George. You get hired for your offsite drinking abilities, work performance is secondary.  :o

"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Klown"

Darkmatters website is no more, nada, gonzo, 
http://darkmatter.nukeworker.net.istemp.com  this will get you there, but I can't update it anymore. Maybe nukeworker will host personal sites eventully

moke

« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2003, 01:20 »
Worked at WCNGS in 1985 during Initial Plant Start-up and our first child was born in Burlington, Kansas. Kristen Kanoelani is now 17!

Luthers Smoke House and the Rib Joint in Williamsburg; I will not forget.

I now understand that there are some of the finest folks in the Nation after traveling abroad. We rented the cheapest housing to date and two came with property in excess of 20 acres. When we traveled away from Westphalia or Melvern it took just about an hour to the big stores and 1 1/2 to Kansas City home of one of the finest baseball parks in the AL.

I was there for the I-70 World Series and wore my KC cap even when down 4 games to one. George Brett!

Learned how to hunt ducks from my pal William Parks and learned the way of life out on the Prarie. One the greatest experiences in my life because the people were like those I was used to in Hawaii with their hearts wide open. There is a lot of predjudice feelings across the globe and these folks looked beyond that.

At the Burlington Bowling Alley, you could purchase fried green pepper rings from a fellow RCT s (Steve Trembel?) grandmother or drive to Williamsburg for the greatest ribs in the world.

Many played pasture pool at the local nine hole course.

At the plant, we had a great time. I have never worked with a harder working group of people than I have on the prarie. Many of the folks came from the "country" where hard work was expected.

It was a great experience for my family and I because we learned a great deal about life from many in the local community.

This is where I am so, so greatful. The road has taught us more than that contained within the Radiological Sciences and to hear that BIMBO, Nuke1, spout of the other day??? Hummm? We will forget more. ::)

Many, such as Nuke1, fail to realize that college or grade school is only one example of a learning institution and that there are so many around us! As many of you know, the road is the best institution if you can handle the heat.

The road is an extremely violent atmosphere when you are young and these folks in Kansas, I tip my hat to, because of the tremendous amount of knowledge they passed to us not to mention the hospitality that in some cases can cure any kind of homesickness one may possess.

I now know what Milo is!!! Hehehehehe. And that a Meadow Lark (Kansas State Bird) is not a Quail!!!! OOOOPS! I got one. You can't eat a coot! Shoot! Ed, boil the coot with a two by four and eat the 2 x 4! ???

Mahalo for a wonderful experience! ;)

Moke ;D

Offline DecommMan

• Leave the Decommissioning to us.
  • Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2003, 06:30 »
The Midwest and Midwesterners - you pretty much summed up why people like to live here.
Decomm Man

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2003, 01:17 »
It's the only other nuclear plant I've ever been to besides Callaway. It's a beautiful plant. I had the chance to go back for a week this fall to help in their Performance Corner. Friendly people, sure it's in the middle of nowhere, but so is Callaway. If they invite me back, I'll go without hesitation. Great people out on the prairie, many of whom I'm proud to call my friends.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
Wolf Creek
« Reply #9 on: Apr 08, 2004, 05:38 »
If anyone has a favorite hang out, place to shop, or local information for this area please post it here.

hezabear

« Reply #10 on: Apr 09, 2004, 07:40 »
 8) Little BBQ joint in Williamsburg. Best ribs in the world. And Luthers Beef Jerky best jerky you will ever have. Brad
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2004, 09:30 by camellablack »

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #11 on: Apr 11, 2006, 09:54 »
Another great place to work. Area is secluded but it keeps folks out of trouble.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
Re: Wolf Creek Contracts
« Reply #12 on: Apr 14, 2006, 09:56 »
Bartlett has the HP contract since 2003, when they put Butch out.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

RADBASTARD

Wolf Creek $32 hour and $118 a day per diem?????
« Reply #13 on: Sep 21, 2006, 11:10 »
Is it true we heard up here at calhoun that wof creek has now up their wages to $32 hour and $118 a day for diem.
Man they must be hurting for techs at WOLF CREEK????

tharris3rd

Re: Wolf Creek $32 hour and $118 a day per diem?????
« Reply #14 on: Sep 21, 2006, 11:58 »
It's absolutely true; that wolf creek is hurting for techs.  Fall Outage; who knew? ::)

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
  • I was liberal as a youth then I had to pay taxes..
« Reply #15 on: Sep 22, 2006, 10:52 »
It's absolutely true; that wolf creek is hurting for techs.  Fall Outage; who knew? ::)

Not true - staffed as of yesterday
The opinions & views expressed by me are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of the company.

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
« Reply #16 on: Sep 22, 2006, 10:53 »
Is it true we heard up here at calhoun that wof creek has now up their wages to $32 hour and $118 a day for diem.
Man they must be hurting for techs at WOLF CREEK????

Close on the rates - actually $29.50 & $110 - its a hell of a bandaid -  not hurting anymore
The opinions & views expressed by me are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of the company.

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #17 on: Sep 24, 2006, 05:58 »
Sounds like a reasonable rate of pay, but I'm sure they hate like hell to raise the bar! Maybe this can be the sequeal, Field of Dreams II,  "If you pay it, they will come"!

Good Luck to all, RG

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: Sep 24, 2006, 02:08 »
(Almost) Everybody knows there is a problem but does nothing about it.

True, to a certain extent - we, Bartlett, have watched the industry turn itself inside out so to speak going from more techs than slots now to more slots than techs - we've preached to our clients, prospective clients, and past clients for years about the state of the "road tech" supply out there...we've preached JHP programs, growing more JHP slots at outages, string'n outages together, better wages, diem - overall compensation packages, etc...I firmly believe the plant folk all agree that all of this has to change but when it comes down to it the power is with those that control the money flow...plants are scheduled to shutdown when they shutdown for 1 reason and 1 reason only - opportunity cost - or to say it another way - what time frame can we shutdown the plant so that we lose the least amount of revenue- not much we as a vendor can do except preach what we know, push for core groups, JHP programs, consecutive outage runs etc…its all in the hands of the Utilities.  This season most utilities that are going down will feel the crunch and not just on HP/Decon folk but also on Mechanical Maintenance, the Professional’s (CHP’s, Instructors, Engineers, Procedure Writers  etc…, and others.  This isn’t your daddy’s pre-deregulation nuclear power industry anymore.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #19 on: Sep 25, 2006, 07:37 »
The topic is Wolf Creek.  As is standard policy, all off topic coments will be deleted.

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
« Reply #20 on: Sep 25, 2006, 02:17 »
The topic is Wolf Creek.  As is standard policy, all off topic coments will be deleted.

I apologize for straying from subject.   

stewdill

« Reply #21 on: Oct 26, 2006, 04:17 »
I like Wolf Creek the people that are house there are really nice and make travelers feel like they are home.

Offline lauriema19

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #22 on: Oct 28, 2006, 03:06 »
 :'( :(

I am sad because I could not make your outage.  I am sure I will make it next time and I do missed a lot of my road buddies out there.  And the house techs RP are the best I have always love that Plant and it is a pleasure to get back every outage.  Hoping to see you guys next time around.  Miss you all......Laurie

Offline btkeele

• Moderate User
« Reply #23 on: Oct 28, 2006, 07:22 »
Laurie, you were missed here, but, we'll save a spot for you next time! :P

Offline lauriema19

• Light User
« Reply #24 on: Oct 29, 2006, 10:53 »
 ;D 8)

Thanks Barry....you are the best...see you guys soon....Laurie

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?