Facility & Company Information > Wolf Creek

Wolf Creek

<< < (2/11) > >>

darkmatter:
I've worked several outrages at Wolf Creek. As for Burlington ks. All I can say is Burlington is an excellent example of why a limited gene pool is a bad idea!  (i)

Seriously, every time I went into a local shop for something, the clerk/owner would look at me puzzled like for a minute or two then invariabley say " You ain't from around here are you, you in for the outage?"  ::)

Wolf Creek is a fine place to work or visit, but don't go house. They hired Chicken George. You get hired for your offsite drinking abilities, work performance is secondary.  :o

moke:
Worked at WCNGS in 1985 during Initial Plant Start-up and our first child was born in Burlington, Kansas. Kristen Kanoelani is now 17!

Luthers Smoke House and the Rib Joint in Williamsburg; I will not forget.

I now understand that there are some of the finest folks in the Nation after traveling abroad. We rented the cheapest housing to date and two came with property in excess of 20 acres. When we traveled away from Westphalia or Melvern it took just about an hour to the big stores and 1 1/2 to Kansas City home of one of the finest baseball parks in the AL.

I was there for the I-70 World Series and wore my KC cap even when down 4 games to one. George Brett!

Learned how to hunt ducks from my pal William Parks and learned the way of life out on the Prarie. One the greatest experiences in my life because the people were like those I was used to in Hawaii with their hearts wide open. There is a lot of predjudice feelings across the globe and these folks looked beyond that.

At the Burlington Bowling Alley, you could purchase fried green pepper rings from a fellow RCT s (Steve Trembel?) grandmother or drive to Williamsburg for the greatest ribs in the world.

Many played pasture pool at the local nine hole course.

At the plant, we had a great time. I have never worked with a harder working group of people than I have on the prarie. Many of the folks came from the "country" where hard work was expected.

It was a great experience for my family and I because we learned a great deal about life from many in the local community.

This is where I am so, so greatful. The road has taught us more than that contained within the Radiological Sciences and to hear that BIMBO, Nuke1, spout of the other day??? Hummm? We will forget more. ::)

Many, such as Nuke1, fail to realize that college or grade school is only one example of a learning institution and that there are so many around us! As many of you know, the road is the best institution if you can handle the heat.

The road is an extremely violent atmosphere when you are young and these folks in Kansas, I tip my hat to, because of the tremendous amount of knowledge they passed to us not to mention the hospitality that in some cases can cure any kind of homesickness one may possess.

I now know what Milo is!!! Hehehehehe. And that a Meadow Lark (Kansas State Bird) is not a Quail!!!! OOOOPS! I got one. You can't eat a coot! Shoot! Ed, boil the coot with a two by four and eat the 2 x 4! ???

Mahalo for a wonderful experience! ;)

Moke ;D

DecommMan:
The Midwest and Midwesterners - you pretty much summed up why people like to live here.

Nuclear NASCAR:
It's the only other nuclear plant I've ever been to besides Callaway. It's a beautiful plant. I had the chance to go back for a week this fall to help in their Performance Corner. Friendly people, sure it's in the middle of nowhere, but so is Callaway. If they invite me back, I'll go without hesitation. Great people out on the prairie, many of whom I'm proud to call my friends.

Camella Black:
If anyone has a favorite hang out, place to shop, or local information for this area please post it here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version