Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Re-Enlistment Questions

Author Topic: Re-Enlistment Questions  (Read 20373 times)

jeremy0203

Re-Enlistment Questions
« on: Aug 17, 2006, 11:06 »
ive read up on the eligibility req on multiple websites, some have said that ou cant have an eval of less than 3.00 within the last two years since you request to star. does anyone know if this is true and if so is this waiverable

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: star reenlistment ?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2006, 01:49 »
Not sure on the admin side of it but as far as STAR goes unless you really need the money dont do it.  The two years are worth more $$$$ if you do it as part of a big reenlistment at the six year point.  On top of that E-5 is not hard to make, the school you can get when you reenlist at 6 (which is about when you get to go if you go star cause you must finish your 1st tour before you go to school).
And the number 1 reason is if you have not been in fleet and done job/deployment then you are buying six years of somthing you have not seen, in which case I have a bridge in NY you can use that BIG$$ to buy! ;)
FYI: I did star and regret it at least one every few days (and I have been in for almost 23 years so the number of days really add up)

Rob
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

MCiko

« Reply #2 on: Aug 17, 2006, 10:31 »
You are correct, you cannot STAR with a mark below 3.0 in any area.  The community manager will not waiver this requirement.

Mike

MCiko

« Reply #3 on: Aug 17, 2006, 10:45 »
Not sure on the admin side of it but as far as STAR goes unless you really need the money dont do it.  The two years are worth more $$$$ if you do it as part of a big reenlistment at the six year point. 

This advice is severely outdated. With the current multiples, some rates can nearly max out with STAR and get out at the 8 year point if he so desires. The better advice would be re-enlist at the four year point prior to extension for four years. This would also allow him to negotiate for the orders he wants.

Mike

jeremy0203

« Reply #4 on: Aug 17, 2006, 11:31 »
say someone had eval marks under 3.0 ( myself due to an incident that happened) which makes it impossible for me to star for another two years.

is it possible for me to do a regular reenlistment at this current time? i dont think it has those same eligibility reqs, maybe i dunno?
i know id have to deal with not getting 2nd but i know id get it from the test eventually. id like to stay in the navy for more than my 6 years, so im looking at ways to allow me to do that besides star which i cant do

and say if i am eligible to do the reg reenlistment, would i still be able to reenlist a second time at my 6 year point if i decided to.

another question, is it possible to get performance marks changed on an eval?
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2006, 01:06 by Shayne »

shayne

« Reply #5 on: Aug 18, 2006, 01:21 »
If re-enlisting is something you are considering, the best answers to these questions would be from your chain of command, specifically your command career counselor.  We may be able to tell you what the requirements were, or how we remember them, but your command should be able to give the latest requirements with regards to your situation. 

I don't think you can get performance marks changed after they are final/signed.  I seem to remember (1990's) being able to submit statement about your eval.  But I don't think a statement got your marks changed, I think it only was a means to have your opinion about them noted and documented on the eval. 
http://www.navyfitrep.com/downloadbupersinst1610.html

If you cannot meet the STAR requirements, which I believe are more appealing to the junior sailor, why not wait until you make second class and re-enlist later in your career when you might use it for orders. (You may even change your mind about staying in the Navy)  If I remember correctly, your time-in-rate and base pay are functions of the SRB calculations, so you may end up with little more money anyhow.

http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/upd_CD/BUPERS/MILPERS/Articles/1160-100.pdf
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2006, 01:36 by Shayne »

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Aug 18, 2006, 06:00 »
I remember star as being a 6 hyear reenlistment at the two year point.  That gave a total obligation of 8 years, or so.  But after looking into it yes it can be done at latter time and for little as 4 years but?  As far as the multiple and amount you are may be right I am not current on the amounts, I do know that in non nuc part of navy a 6yo reenlistment is worth more than star for most NEC's.

Again this is only a factor if you reallt need the money now.  The rest of what I said still stands.  Believe me I know lots of guy who would have given the monet back, and to be fair some career guy who say "Why did I not tke the money then instead of waiting"? So it goes both ways.  MY thought "Plan for the worst! and be happy with anything less!"

Rob
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2006, 06:08 by ChiefRocscooter »

bordway

« Reply #7 on: Aug 18, 2006, 11:57 »
I'm in power school and the way one of our cheif instructors made it sound that if you DID NOT re enlist asap you were just eating into the money.  He said the most profitable way to do it was to re enlist when you enter each zone (about 2 years, 6 years, then 10 years).  Also you have to factor in the money and BAH you're NOT getting unless you're an e5 or married e4 leaving prototype. 

e5 might not be hard to make you say but every 6 months between exams will add up in money you aren't making.  but I'm just trying to re explain his sermon that was 'gauranteed to make us want to re enlist' which if you're doing it for the money then yes he seemed right but i can't just take a blind leap into two more years of a job i dont know much about yet.  AND he said that those two extra years can be spent back here at NNPTC (after 4 years of sea) or NPTU (after three years of sea).

he also said you had to have above three's on evals to get the star re enlistment and had to be e4.  ha almost forgot to include the original point of the topic.

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Aug 18, 2006, 03:34 »
OK now we "know" a little more about you here is a more tailored answer:
First about SRB's":
The Bonus "Zone" is simply the amount of time the person has been in the military:

Zone A -- Sailors who re-enlist with between 17 months and 6 years of service.

Zone B -- Sailors, who -- at the time of re-enlistment -- have between 6 years and 10 years of service.

Zone C -- Sailors who re-enlist with between 10 and 14 years of service.
(source USmilitary.about.com)

also there is now a zone D for 16-20

How much:
The formula to compute the bonus amount is:
(BONUS MULTIPLIER) X (MONTHLY BASE PAY) X (NUMBER OF YEARS RE-ENLISTING FOR)
Below are the Bonus Multipliers established by the Navy. Complete information can be found in NAVADMIN Message 195/06. (link not shown)
This list is current as of July 2006.
Bonuses are subject to change. For the very latest in enlistment bonuses, check the Navy NAVADMIN Messages. (link not shown)

So if you are a career guy the money can be maxed out without reenlisting until you make 2nd and have some time in fleet (heck even an ET will make fleet before about 2yrs).  This allows you to "see" real world nuc and decide if you want to sell yourself into more time based on informed decision.  I do not fault him he is a chief doing his job, and he likely loves the Navy just as much as I do.  BUT,,,, Do you?? and how would you know if you ave not been in it yet!  No insult meant but until you hit fleet as nuc, and even do some underway time, you are not really in the Navy.  You are training to be in it!

Good Luck,
Rob

PS the BAH depends on if you are sub vlol or not.
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2006, 03:36 by ChiefRocscooter »

MCiko

« Reply #9 on: Aug 19, 2006, 11:43 »
Zones A and B are under the SRB program. Zone C and D are under the ESRP.

Mike
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2006, 11:44 by MCiko »

jeremy0203

another question
« Reply #10 on: Aug 22, 2006, 08:29 »
this is a different question than my other.

question is that i saw on one website that a regular reenlistment under srb or w/e not star you can do between 17 months and like 6 years, on another website i saw it was between 21 months and like 6 years, the second said that it had to be 21 months excluding active duty training, my question is does anyone know the 100% correct time requirement, and if its the 21 months do they mean by active duty training just bootcamp or would it be a school power school and prototype for us. thank you

Offline War Eagle

• Moderate User
  • PWR SRO
Re: another question
« Reply #11 on: Aug 22, 2006, 09:22 »
Your Command Career Counselor should have every answer you're looking for. I would go to him/her before trusting what's on the net.

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Aug 22, 2006, 11:14 »
Ditto what the War Eagle says, but remember that they sometime have a vested interest in your decision. (just a fact!!!) They should be happy to show you in writing what the fact are, and if you do they work yourself every inst and msg is avail on NPC website.  Always use large gfrain of salt when dealing with recruiters (and that is part of what a command career counsler is.

As far as what you see on web,,, trust only what you can verify ,,, but if the same thought/question keeps coming up you may want to check it out!!!

Rob

Fermi2

« Reply #13 on: Aug 22, 2006, 01:41 »
War Eagle, super advice. I always wonder why these kids don't go to their command career counselor FIRST, then maybe come here to verify whast they are told with a straight shooter like taterhead or Chief Rob.

Mike

shayne

« Reply #14 on: Aug 22, 2006, 03:33 »
I like Mikes post.  I helps keep us that have been out of the Navy for sometime up-to-date on policies and programs.

« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2006, 09:59 by Shayne »

MCiko

« Reply #15 on: Aug 22, 2006, 07:42 »

jeremy0203

« Reply #16 on: Aug 22, 2006, 09:03 »
that calculation cant be right cuz i come out to like 80,000 dollars, one guy who just reenlisted who is an et got like 52,000 so all these calculators just dont seem to be correct at calculating the amount

OK now we "know" a little more about you here is a more tailored answer:
First about SRB's":
The Bonus "Zone" is simply the amount of time the person has been in the military:

Zone A -- Sailors who re-enlist with between 17 months and 6 years of service.

Zone B -- Sailors, who -- at the time of re-enlistment -- have between 6 years and 10 years of service.

Zone C -- Sailors who re-enlist with between 10 and 14 years of service.
(source USmilitary.about.com)

also there is now a zone D for 16-20

How much:
The formula to compute the bonus amount is:
(BONUS MULTIPLIER) X (MONTHLY BASE PAY) X (NUMBER OF YEARS RE-ENLISTING FOR)
Below are the Bonus Multipliers established by the Navy. Complete information can be found in NAVADMIN Message 195/06. (link not shown)
This list is current as of July 2006.
Bonuses are subject to change. For the very latest in enlistment bonuses, check the Navy NAVADMIN Messages. (link not shown)

So if you are a career guy the money can be maxed out without reenlisting until you make 2nd and have some time in fleet (heck even an ET will make fleet before about 2yrs).  This allows you to "see" real world nuc and decide if you want to sell yourself into more time based on informed decision.  I do not fault him he is a chief doing his job, and he likely loves the Navy just as much as I do.  BUT,,,, Do you?? and how would you know if you ave not been in it yet!  No insult meant but until you hit fleet as nuc, and even do some underway time, you are not really in the Navy.  You are training to be in it!

Good Luck,
Rob

PS the BAH depends on if you are sub vlol or not.

shayne

« Reply #17 on: Aug 22, 2006, 09:35 »
SRB=(Base Pay) * (Multiplier) * (Years Re-enlist - years left until EAOS)

So a E-4 with 2 years of service, re-enlisting for 6 years
$1748.10 * 4 * (6-2) = $27969.60

I also believe that if you are not in your extension, it will be dropped and not calculated.  If you are in your extention, you will have to use it.

jeremy0203

« Reply #18 on: Aug 22, 2006, 10:19 »
wouldnt it be 6-4 since a nuke would have 4 years left at their 2 yr pointwhich would make the total amount drop a lot

SRB=(Base Pay) * (Multiplier) * (Years Re-enlist - years left until EAOS)

So a E-4 with 2 years of service, re-enlisting for 6 years
$1748.10 * 4 * (6-2) = $27969.60

I also believe that if you are not in your extension, it will be dropped and not calculated.  If you are in your extention, you will have to use it.

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #19 on: Aug 22, 2006, 10:30 »
That would be a carrer councler job to tell you ,,,but I think since two of those years are still part of your orignal enlistmen(you signesd up for 4+2 (2 coming from schools)) the other two get waived and you get to enlinst for six years (really only adding about two years from orginal time) just remeber what I said about that two years!!! Read the post again if you do not rmember!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shayne

« Reply #20 on: Aug 23, 2006, 12:51 »
Nuclear Field is a 4 year enlistment with a 2 year extention.  Since you are not in your extention, it is dropped from the formula.  So at your 2 year point, you only have 2 years of obligated service left according to the SRB calculation.  If you are at your pass your 4 year point (I was when I re-enlisted), you are serving your extention, so if you re-enlist the calculation includes the extention.  My formula was (E-5 over 4 years base pay) * (4.0) * (48 months - 7 months)/12 = $$.

Years really are determined by full months/12.

Offline War Eagle

• Moderate User
  • PWR SRO
« Reply #21 on: Aug 23, 2006, 08:36 »
Great link, Mike. Thanks!
Joe

jeremy0203

« Reply #22 on: Aug 23, 2006, 10:54 »
ok i understand how it works now. so another question is from what ive read is that a person has to be able to reenlist for three or more years, so is this sayin that you have to reenlist for enough years that at least three are added onto your whole amount of years you have to serve, does this also include the whole 4 year as your obligated service so you only have to reenlist for enough years to take you out to seven? if you understand what im sayin.

the deal here is that i cant star reenlist because i got a bad eval so id have to wait until 2008, but id like to just do a regular reenlistment which i think im qualified for, i just hit my 3 year point last week. so does that mean i can reenlist for 5 years and that take me out to 8 total without the extension and have that satisfy the three or more year req.

also ive read that you have to have at least 17 months of service and on another site i read you have to have 21 months of cont service excluding active duty training. this is jjust for the regular reenlistment type, does anyone know the right requirements for this and if its the 21 months what do they mean by excluding active duty training, would it be all of nuke school or is it bootcamp they are talkin bout

shayne

Re: Re-Enlistment Questions
« Reply #23 on: Aug 23, 2006, 12:55 »
I have merged your two questions since they are very similiar and your questions have been answered in one of the two topics.  I think your best option at this point is to talk with your Command Career Counselor.  He should be able to sit down and analysis your situation and figure out what is best for you.  Under no circumstance should talking to him/her obligate you to re-enlisting, but it would help getting you the correct answers for all your questions.

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
Re: Re-Enlistment Questions
« Reply #24 on: Aug 23, 2006, 02:09 »
Shayne is right it is time to go your expert, if you do n ot like the answers tells us what he says and maybe we can help get a better answer. 

As far as the last question I believe star is only way to get the unactivated portion of your extension vacated to reenlist.  In basic terms that means you will only get credit for time after your extension expires, meaning if you could do regular reenlistment you would likely not make nearly as much as you would if you wiated until 6 year point.

Question 1)why the bad eval? (if it make you feel better I'll tell you nowe I went from E4 to E5 to E4 and then got right and went on up to Chief!)
Question 2) Why do you need the money so bad right now? (you don;t have to tell but it might help us answer you if we knew why)

Rob

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?