Rate Beaver Valley

Above Average
2 (100%)
Average
0 (0%)
Below Average
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: Beaver Valley  (Read 137866 times)

jjordan

Re: Beaver Valley
« Reply #25 on: Sep 26, 2004, 10:44 »
It wouldn't be the one in Fallstown would it? Didn't remember the name, it's in a regular house, can't even tell it's a bar. I used to go to Roberts Roadside, The Riverside Saloon, and used to be a few in Chippewa, byt they have all changed since I was last there! :-[
JJ

rawtech

« Reply #26 on: Sep 27, 2004, 12:48 »
I am VERY surprised that no one has mentioned the Midway, or as it's locally known, the Skidway. that's probably the most frequented bar in the area.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #27 on: Sep 29, 2004, 06:36 »
I'll try.
Beaver Valley (where I grew up) has a lot of locals who speak Pittsburghese.  Find a translator to help you understand.  The language is a combination of Appalachian Hillbilly and Pennsylvanian.  No good asking the Site Coordinator.  He's a local too.

I loved this post, as I am a southern girl who has a combination accent of North Florida/Alabama with 25 years of South Carolina thrown in. I have the hardest time getting people to understand me (above the Mason Dixon). It took me 5 minutes once to buy a bag of ICE. The girl couldn't understand me and finally when she asked what it was I calmly replied "its frozen water".

Offline Rain Man

• Very Heavy User
  • Constants aren't, variables won't.
« Reply #28 on: Sep 29, 2004, 11:14 »
Beaver Valley (where I grew up) has a lot of locals who speak Pittsburghese.  Find a translator to help you understand.  The language is a combination of Appalachian Hillbilly and Pennsylvanian.  No good asking the Site Coordinator.  He's a local too.

Beer Court, a combination of Appalachin Hillbilly and Pennsylvanian??  I prefer to call it "Urban Hillbilly"

Here's a link to translate and speak "Pittsburghese" for those not acquanited with the local dialect:

http://www.pittsburghese.com/
« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2004, 11:15 by Rain Man »
"Giving power and money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenaged boys." -P.J. O'Rourke

"Politics is the skilled use of blunt instruments"  -Lester B. Pearson

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #29 on: Sep 29, 2004, 02:08 »
Wow! I totally forgot about "redd up".  You should see the faces in the HP break room when the lead tech tells them to "redd up" something.

Gotta go....  time for lunch at Twawcew  Bewwl.
« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2004, 02:09 by Beer Court »
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 10, 2005, 05:16 »
The BV Motel is also very clean and they are friendly.  They understand the concept of "night shift".  I actually went out on my night off to do laundry and the maid service was done when I got back an hour later.  35 minutes sounds like a haul, but it is really closer to 25 min in good weather.  Anything closer is too expensive or kinda scummy.
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2005, 06:46 by Duke Nuker »
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

sunshine1

« Reply #31 on: Apr 19, 2005, 10:53 »
How is the outage going? I heard Eli Crosby is not there?  :(     Who's the new site supervisor / manager?
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2005, 08:19 by sunshine1 »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: Beaver outage
« Reply #32 on: Apr 22, 2005, 11:49 »
Outage going very well here! Nice place to work had no problems other than the SC for Bartlett.

Please us the already established "Talk About Beaver Valley" thread.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,995.0.html

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #33 on: Oct 25, 2005, 06:32 »
mikey's probably going alfabetakally.  ya know, last name furst, furst name last.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

sweetpea

« Reply #34 on: Nov 27, 2005, 06:00 »
Hey brian...i heard the Winking Beaver Inn was nice

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #35 on: Dec 20, 2005, 05:14 »

pauljy

Starting Payrates in Ohio (live near Youngstown)
« Reply #36 on: Feb 19, 2006, 11:02 »
Hi I live near the Beaver Valley Nuclear Plant.  I will be recieving an Accociates Degree in Power Plant Operations and I have a BS in Engineering.  I would like some information on Starting pay rates (NLO) at Beaver Valley (benefits also ) .  Does anyone know any contacts?  Isthere a site to compare working a coal plant vs a nuclearplant??

Thank You,

Paul

Fermi2

Re: Starting Payrates in Ohio (live near Youngstown)
« Reply #37 on: Feb 19, 2006, 11:50 »
This guy , thenuttyneutron, works for Firstenergy as an NLO at Davis Besse. My guess is Beaver Valley hires at the same rate.

IIRC the plants in that region were offering 25 an hour or so, topping out at around 30 to 32 an hour.

Usually there's no difference between the dirtburners and the nukes except the Nukes start at a higher pay grade and make it to the top grade quicker because they started closer to begin with. Some utilities stop the nukes one pay grade higher (maybe 50 cents an hour)

If you play your cards right at a dirtburner you can make a LOT more money because they run at minimum staffing and rely on OT. Nuke plants are legally limited in how many hours you can work.

An example. the most I could ever work as an NLO was 72 hours a week, with no more than 16 in any one day. My first 18 months as an NLO I also worked at a dirtburner in Ohio. On my 4 offs and weekends I'd work 16 hours a day at the dirtburner because my wife and I needed the money. 16 hours times 4 days times 1 and 1/2 was great money plus what I made at Edison. The work was easier but dirty as hell.

Mike

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: Starting Payrates in Ohio (live near Youngstown)
« Reply #38 on: Feb 20, 2006, 12:20 »
Please use the correct, and already started "Talk About Beaver Valley" thread.

ageoldtech

« Reply #39 on: Feb 27, 2006, 12:39 »
I heard that the Rx. head wouldn't fit throught the hatch with a shield cover attached, does anyone have any details?

Offline Showme T. Money

• Light User
  • Senior HP Tech
« Reply #40 on: Feb 27, 2006, 07:27 »
The cover had to be modified, but the head is out of containment as of 1430 today.

duke99301

« Reply #41 on: Mar 01, 2006, 08:21 »
I had a good time in the old GTS days.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #42 on: Mar 01, 2006, 09:29 »
eye hadda gouda thyme ina rsi, hpt, numanco, gts,bni, daze two.

duke99301

« Reply #43 on: Mar 02, 2006, 11:41 »
Slo Go! you rember a tech names Joe always say U know what mean!
he was dicky kounzt friend.
and then there was Woody telling the boss go ahead check the gate sheets, as he was walking out. ha ha.
then the guy who sold the BBQ across the road from the plant.
but there was nothing Like working with john Goss just to see what would go on next.. ever go to Muzzy with him?????or Dirty Murdy tell the nikers they are not real bikers... ah the good old days...

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #44 on: Mar 03, 2006, 09:14 »
Slo Go! you rember a tech names Joe always say U know what mean!
he was dicky kounzt friend.
and then there was Woody telling the boss go ahead check the gate sheets, as he was walking out. ha ha.
then the guy who sold the BBQ across the road from the plant.
but there was nothing Like working with john Goss just to see what would go on next.. ever go to Muzzy with him?????or Dirty Murdy tell the nikers they are not real bikers... ah the good old days...

wuzzant that joe kosloski?
dident woody contradict the boss by saying... ya ain't got the balls to check the gate sheet!
that wuz some good stuff fer ona way home.  iffen ya didn't care about yer vehicle's interior.
eye 'member a cuppla teks (to remain unamed) who consistently tested the numnutz time clock's waterproof capability with coffee.  alas, i nebber want drankeen wit hymn.  probably a good thing for both of us.
yes he did.
the dropping of a stuffed anti-c dummy, complete with hood 'n respirator, down the stairwell shaft of u1 aux bldg wuz priceless.

yuffie_2000us

« Reply #45 on: Mar 04, 2006, 07:04 »
Wasn't that Joe Mazzaros. Sorry about the spelling but I think that is who it is.

duke99301

« Reply #46 on: Mar 04, 2006, 07:44 »
Thats it. he was in a bad car wreck at one time.. (Wasn't that Joe Mazzaros)

Offline Showme T. Money

• Light User
  • Senior HP Tech
« Reply #47 on: Mar 05, 2006, 06:32 »
The first of three generators is out of the hole today, two more to go.

duke99301

« Reply #48 on: Mar 07, 2006, 08:05 »
what unit are they doing the SGRP?

Offline Showme T. Money

• Light User
  • Senior HP Tech
« Reply #49 on: Mar 07, 2006, 08:36 »
unit 1

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?