Three Mile Island

Above Average
17 (43.6%)
Average
13 (33.3%)
Below Average
9 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Three Mile Island (TMI)  (Read 51119 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Three Mile Island (TMI)
« on: Nov 30, 2002, 07:15 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2006, 08:47 by Rennhack »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Three Mile Island
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2002, 12:25 »
If anyone has lodging information for this facility, please post it here.
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2005, 06:24 by Duke Nuker »

RAD-GHOST

Re: Three Mile Island (TMI)
« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2007, 05:03 »
I agree with Marssim across the Board! 

They accept supplimental staff based on what they receive, not what they perceive!

Last time I was there, the baby of the bunch had 20+ years at the site!

RG

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2007, 08:48 »
I'll add my second (third?) to what Marssim said.

I was treated very well there and enjoyed the people and the area. Vince, the guy I worked for truly appreciated me for the help and let me know. I wanted to go back, but other (higher paying) opportunities arose that made me change my mind. I would do another outage there in a heartbeat.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Silky

« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2007, 05:35 »
Up until yesterday I was saying I'd return to TMI in a heartbeat.  Most of the in-house people are nice to work with and although it is owned by Exelon, it's much better than Peach Bottom.  Heck, hell is better than Peach.  However, at the onset of the current TMI outage we were promised 7 -12s in a meeting just last week by the RPM himself, seeing that it's only a 20 and 1/2 days outage.  Well, honesty isn't everyone's policy, especially at TMI.  As of last night, Bartlett employees are being forced to 6 -12s -with the exception of those few working for Reactor Services and on the Turbine deck.  Needless to say, the rest of us are furious and have vowed never to work another outage here.  I can't afford to and I certainly can't trust them to keep their word.  I'm just not willing to take the risk of this happening again.  My advice is to stay as far away from TMI as possible.  In fact, avoid Exelon plants altogether.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2007, 09:09 »
Vince is a class act,...

If we are talking about the same Vince T. then I concur. Awesome guy, and also Rock, and Steven (Chemistry).

Maybe I will be seeing them again, now that I am a Limerick guy.

In an outage far far away.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2007, 10:23 »
Last time I was there, the baby of the bunch had 20+ years at the site!

23 Years to be exact.

I agree with the above average rating.  The house people even give outage workers temp membership cards to the local VFW, who open early in the morning to feed and water the outage workers.  -- THAT is acceptance.

The RP department runs a tight ship (in a good way).  They are all knowledgeable, experienced, open minded, and helpful.  I would return.
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2007, 10:24 by Rennhack »

RADBASTARD

« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2007, 10:42 »
Maybe you can get a job a burger king on you day off to make up the difference.
You can't make it on 72 hr verses 84's ,thats just sorry! Usually they force you to work 84's
Maybe for the week you'll net $100-$150 more after taxes,fica,401k,medicare come on.
Try working a 40 hour week like most in the working world do and make it.
I think you should dump your financial advisor and get a new one,because the one you got really sux!
It never fails to amaze me how some people have been doing this for 25 years and are crying more mouth and im broke as the day they started,Oh yeah well I got bills,like no else does.
Sorry all I just had to vent.

Ps: If they did promise you 84's to get you there and changed it that's bs  Maybe a blue flu?
Up until yesterday I was saying I'd return to TMI in a heartbeat.  Most of the in-house people are nice to work with and although it is owned by Exelon, it's much better than Peach Bottom.  Heck, hell is better than Peach.  However, at the onset of the current TMI outage we were promised 7 -12s in a meeting just last week by the RPM himself, seeing that it's only a 20 and 1/2 days outage.  Well, honesty isn't everyone's policy, especially at TMI.  As of last night, Bartlett employees are being forced to 6 -12s -with the exception of those few working for Reactor Services and on the Turbine deck.  Needless to say, the rest of us are furious and have vowed never to work another outage here.  I can't afford to and I certainly can't trust them to keep their word.  I'm just not willing to take the risk of this happening again.  My advice is to stay as far away from TMI as possible.  In fact, avoid Exelon plants altogether.
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2007, 11:47 by Nuclear NASCAR »

Melrose

« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2007, 08:48 »
I gotta agree with RB, with a capital D-I-T-T-O!!!! Stop yer whining!!  :'(

Been on the 70 hour a week roster making 40 hour pay, lived just fine,.... with a family.
72s won't hurt a bit. if it does, then your living above your means or you can't budget.

Just left Peach working all the hours we could take/handle, Exelon has no problem handing out hours.  If you're working 72, chances are that was the plan, more than that was simply in question and got shot down, big deal.... suck it up, toughen up, then change your screen name ........'silky',

in a nut shell, deal with it and move on, or get therapy.  Just don't come on here whining throwing your anti(whatever plant's name goes here) propaganda around 'cuz you got your wittle feelwings hurt.  We don't wanna here it!

NOW!!!! Have a nice day...... >:(

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #9 on: Oct 29, 2007, 09:15 »
Folks,

Let us all try and be respectful of everyones opinion. It is fine to disagree with another's take on a situation, but please try and do it professionally. Check out the forum rules for posting.

http://www.nukeworker.com/policy/code_of_conduct.shtml

Thanks.

Your friendly neighborhood moderator 8)
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Offline nowhereman

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2007, 09:19 »
TMI .....knowledgeable, helpful house techs,(chemistry runs a tight ship there) and not a bad drive to boot......and one complains about 6-12's ..........please.........(you should spend your time between peach and braidwood)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 2007, 09:41 »
TMI .....knowledgeable, helpful house techs,(chemistry runs a tight ship there) and not a bad drive to boot......and one complains about 6-12's ..........please.........(you should spend your time between peach and braidwood)

The Drive.  The VFW.  The tight RP program.  The nice people.

Some people let the negatives get in the way of the positives.

Melrose

« Reply #12 on: Oct 29, 2007, 10:54 »
Folks,

Let us all try and be respectful of everyones opinion. It is fine to disagree with another's take on a situation, but please try and do it professionally. Check out the forum rules for posting.

http://www.nukeworker.com/policy/code_of_conduct.shtml

Thanks.

Your friendly neighborhood moderator 8)

Thanks for the head's-up.  Usually don't pay attention to the rules, they tend to lean towards coddling the weak/soft and in doing so persecuting those that speak their mind, no matter how brutal.

Reality.... I had to take the shot, it's like feeding Bambi an apple and clubbin' 'im over the head.  ;D

RADBASTARD

« Reply #13 on: Oct 29, 2007, 05:17 »
Dude I loved that line about bambi.You hit the nail on the head.
Next they will be complaining that I wanted to work 7 -16's  and meal tickets,I can't afford it.

Thanks for the head's-up.  Usually don't pay attention to the rules, they tend to lean towards coddling the weak/soft and in doing so persecuting those that speak their mind, no matter how brutal.

I hReality....ad to take the shot, it's like feeding Bambi an apple and clubbin' 'im over the head.  ;D

Reality.... I had to take the shot, it's like feeding Bambi an apple and clubbin' 'im over the head.  ;D

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #14 on: Oct 29, 2007, 09:08 »
Silky, come on:

Sounds like you need that day off to pursue your financial planner career!  What's Next; The worst damn FREE food you ever had!

Whatever you do, make sure you stick to your guns, I'm sure they'll miss old "what's his name again" next outage!

WTF, (Way To Funny), RG!

Asa1

« Reply #15 on: Oct 31, 2007, 11:53 »
Never been to TMI, but worked for a TMI rp supv at Byron. He was (and probably still is) unshakable...........would glady work for Bob MacDonald anywhere,........ anytime. Definite A gamer.

roadhard

« Reply #16 on: Nov 01, 2007, 09:13 »
Anybody have any inside dish on the fresh water spring they tapped during the CTMT Sump Mod install?

Rumor is while drilling a hilti bolt in the bottom of the CTMT Sump a 4' gyser sprouted up through the hole. (Design Basis Impact? FSAR impact? Integrity Impact? - These are large issues - nothing Fermanite can solve with their magic goo.)

True or false?

Rob143

« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2007, 02:51 »
Never been to TMI, but worked for a TMI rp supv at Byron. He was (and probably still is) unshakable...........would glady work for Bob MacDonald anywhere,........ anytime. Definite A gamer.

Bob McDonald is as good as they get.  As a matter of fact the entire house gang is all you could ever ask for.

Exelon is Exelon and from that standpoint this outage was a bigger than usual disaster, but on the HP end once again not a single complaint.

Offline Baden77

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2008, 04:18 »

I was at TMI with Bartlett for that outage, while I didn't have the best experience, it was not the house personnel or the Bartlett personnel onsite that I blame for this.  Dropping to the 6-12 schedule didn't last very long, in fact two days after they announced it and we got the schedule arranged to coordinate days off most of the techs in my area were approached and told that the day off was optional do to the delays that we were having.  About half the techs took the day off gladly.

Offline Shawnee Man

• Moderate User
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2008, 10:30 »
Anybody have any inside dish on the fresh water spring they tapped during the CTMT Sump Mod install?

Rumor is while drilling a hilti bolt in the bottom of the CTMT Sump a 4' gyser sprouted up through the hole. (Design Basis Impact? FSAR impact? Integrity Impact? - These are large issues - nothing Fermanite can solve with their magic goo.)

True or false?

I happened to be patrolling through there looking at some lead packages when the workers yelled they had a leak. They were looking for RP and I got spotted with an RO2 in my hand. NABBED!!

I believe your 4' geyser is a bit stretched. It was a small leak of water entering the sump area. It was not contaminated and it was believed to be condensation that was trapped between containment sump and structural walls. Thats all I got.
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2008, 10:34 by Shawnee Man »

Fermi2

« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2008, 10:55 »
The Containment sump sits in a million foot concrete footing so how exactly would a Fresh Water Spring get to it?

Mike

richardb52

« Reply #21 on: Mar 22, 2009, 04:13 »
Does anyone have any info on places to stay near TMI?  How about campgrounds?  I am hoping to go here in the fall.  It sounds like a good place to work from all your comments.  Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #22 on: Apr 03, 2009, 11:01 »
Who has got the scoop on the Craft contract for the SGRP?

A name, a number, a website, anything would help.

I am trying to help some people move that way toward sustained employment.

KKsPaPa

« Reply #23 on: Apr 03, 2009, 01:57 »
Washington Group Division of URS, SGT has the contract for the replacement work.

Offline starving_dog

• Moderate User
  • Master of my domain
« Reply #24 on: Apr 05, 2009, 02:49 »
SGT hires their own craft through the locals for the SGRP through parent company URS Washington Division.  PM me if you need any further information.
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2009, 02:51 by starving_dog »
There are the Habs, and the Hab nots.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?