Calvert Cliffs

Above Average
26 (37.1%)
Average
24 (34.3%)
Below Average
20 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Calvert Cliffs  (Read 328734 times)

RADBASTARD

Re: Calvert Cliffs
« Reply #125 on: Mar 12, 2004, 08:38 »
Calvert is a great place to work,but lets face it money talks and bullshit walks to another site that is paying more.They need to start catching up with the rest of the country and start paying more.
I mean solomons island and lexington park arn't the cheapest place to live that is for sure.

Over 4 years ago calvert was one of the best paying places,but they haven't raised the wages in over 4 years and actually they have come down.Back then the wages were the same but with a $4hr straight time and $6hr OT bonus.Now its down to$ 2 and $3

I heard hp 25% returnee this time and only 3 returning deconners from the old bunch that is almost 100% returnee.Oconnee has them all I guess
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2004, 07:03 by RadBastard »

Masterlee RF

« Reply #126 on: Mar 16, 2004, 10:17 »
Welp I will be back again for the 6th straight outage somebody gotta have fun and pull them ICI's I guess... All in all CCNPP is one of the best sites I go to as far as the Techs and house people working with us to make our job easier... see some of ya there...

Offline HousePuke

• ALARA Coordinator / Rad Engineer
  • Heavy User
  • If you don't like it here, go somewhere else!
« Reply #127 on: Apr 07, 2004, 09:41 »
Outage starts Friday.  Good luck to y'all! 8)
Irish diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell such that he looks forward to making the trip.

Inspite of inflation, a penny is still a fair price for most peoples thoughts.

kwicslvr

« Reply #128 on: Apr 08, 2004, 11:43 »
Outage starts Friday.  Good luck to y'all! 8)
  Feels like it already started to me!

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
Calvert Cliffs
« Reply #129 on: Apr 08, 2004, 05:41 »
If anyone has a favorite hang out, place to shop, or local information for this area please post it here.

RADBASTARD

« Reply #130 on: Apr 08, 2004, 09:37 »
TIKI BAR weekend extravaganza is just around the corner.

Offline starving_dog

• Moderate User
  • Master of my domain
« Reply #131 on: Apr 09, 2004, 08:54 »
All you can eat crabs Wednesday nights at Abner's in Chesapeake Beach, $22.00 last year.  Don't dress up.
There are the Habs, and the Hab nots.

Offline HousePuke

• Heavy User
« Reply #132 on: Apr 09, 2004, 10:10 »
On Solomons Island:
DiGiovannis (Great Italian, highly recommended)
CD Cafe (Good food, very eclectic menu)
The Lighthouse (Good food, great view, nice atmosphere)
If you're stocking up your fridge Woodburns!  Awesome food store!
Best crabcake in the county: Stoney's
Enjoy!
Irish diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell such that he looks forward to making the trip.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #133 on: Apr 09, 2004, 03:03 »
   The waterfront in Annapolis was a great way to spend a Sunday Morning. Reardon's (if it is still there) had a killer Sunday Champagne  brunch. After brunch a shopping expedition around the water front gave my "Mall Nazi" a little little fresh air. One store I remember was Pendragon Gallery that sold SciFi and Fantasy art and jewelry. I still have a couple of silver rings from there..
   I used my time over several outages to see many of the Smithsonian Museums, a little vacation with work. Both Annapolis and DC are a short drive from Calvert.
   The beaches on the bay were a good place to hunt for fossils, six inch shark teeth were found there from the Great Whites ancestors.

Offline Phurst

• NRRPT-HPT
  • Very Heavy User
  • One in a row!
« Reply #134 on: Apr 09, 2004, 04:51 »
If you get to Baltimore put Jimmy's World Famous Seafood on your list. Best shrimp around and then for the guys find a place called Nightshift. Bring your own beer and sit at the bar. SWEET! and for those who don't like comparing body parts the ball field is first class.
Today is the best day of my life! HSIITBS!

'For the quality of owning freezes you forever into "I" and cuts you off forever from the "we". - Steinbeck

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #135 on: Apr 10, 2004, 09:54 »
Solomons seems to be the best of civilization out here for dining atleast.  lexington park has a starbucks and target, Im finally happy. ;D  got lost in dc couldnt tell you one thing about it. but hagerstown has outlett shopping!

Offline HousePuke

• Heavy User
« Reply #136 on: Apr 12, 2004, 09:29 »
So now that it's started, how's things going?

Offline HousePuke

• Heavy User
« Reply #137 on: Apr 14, 2004, 09:05 »
That "minor issue" will likely result in a NCV and a green finding at a minimum.  Do they still have the HRA entry check list?  It was supposed to mitigate such occurrences.

harleygirl

« Reply #138 on: Apr 14, 2004, 03:29 »
Things are well so far, safe and on schedule at the 100 hr mark.  Containment had a minor delay with equipment hatch door gantry not operating, they seem to be back on track.  Turbine project is on schedule with all LP rotors on the floor and nothiong but lower casings to come out.  Lots of frisking going on out there, 100's f tons of metal to be disposed of.  Managment seems to have a realistic view of what it takes to do a 30 day or less outage.  Must be the Exelon influence of a few key players.  hehehe  1 Minor issue, locked high rad unauthorized entry, worker was sign blind from all the outage hype banners.  Good Day.

You said locked high rad unauthorized entry and worker missed sign? What happened to the locked barrier or door guard how did worker get around those?

kwicslvr

« Reply #139 on: Apr 15, 2004, 02:51 »
You said locked high rad unauthorized entry and worker missed sign? What happened to the locked barrier or door guard how did worker get around those?

He had been in there working all day with HP coverage.   At the end of the day he had to go back in to hang a tag.  He went in without HP coverage and without informing them.  There is just a barrier infront of the entrance with signs saying what it is.  He just went all over them.  It is not required to be "locked" if there is a barrier there to impede someones way. 

kwicslvr

« Reply #140 on: Apr 15, 2004, 02:52 »
Right after the 100 hour mark we had the first OSHA recordable.  I grinder kicked back on its operator cuting through his leather gloves and lacerating his index finger. 

Offline HousePuke

• Heavy User
« Reply #141 on: Apr 15, 2004, 03:06 »
If it was a "Locked High Radiation Area" then a lock or a guard or a flashing light is required.  The flashing light can only be employed if no other reasonable barrier can be constructed to prevent unauthorized access.  Reference Reg Guide 8.38.
If it was a "High Radiation Area" then a barrier to prevent "inadvertant access" is all that is required.

Offline radbitch

• Heavy User
« Reply #142 on: Apr 16, 2004, 04:10 »
Hey housepuke, they fired the guy for the violation. You know him, scaffold guy who worked here for at least 15 years. IM me and I'll give ya the scoop.

harleygirl

« Reply #143 on: Apr 16, 2004, 04:21 »
kwicslvr have you heard of 10CFR 20 regs. A locked high rad area is defined in there....now a lot of plants have high rad areas they lock for precaution but that is not a LOCKED HIGH RAD AREA. Please next time be more specific with the info.

We had a violation because someone cut tie wraps holding our posted LHRA orange fencing to prevent access to the transfer canal during fuel movement....So the barrier should be locked and really try to prevent inadvertant and advertant entries. The offender was an HP tech who got caught and weaseled out of the violation so the plant got the hit.

kwicslvr

« Reply #144 on: Apr 17, 2004, 04:32 »
kwicslvr have you heard of 10CFR 20 regs. A locked high rad area is defined in there....now a lot of plants have high rad areas they lock for precaution but that is not a LOCKED HIGH RAD AREA. Please next time be more specific with the info.

I'm just regurgetating what I was informed.  And being in the nuclear field for 12+ years, yes I know of the regs very much.

RADBASTARD

« Reply #145 on: Apr 17, 2004, 02:13 »
Radbitch,It's been along time since I miss a calvert outage.I guess since im not there it went to shit? [HA HA} I HEARD HARDLY ANY RETURNESS,MAYBE 8.I bet they were expecting alot more? I guess because it hasn't raised the money and diem up in 5 years it's the same.I HEARD YOU GOT ALOT OF SOUTHERN HP'S FROM DUKE.Them coming here must of been like getting a raise after being in the southern plants with lower wages?

harleygirl

« Reply #146 on: Apr 19, 2004, 09:41 »
I'm just regurgetating what I was informed.  And being in the nuclear field for 12+ years, yes I know of the regs very much.

Sorry kwic, I didn't mean to put you on the spot and I also know that during the outage and at the time violations occur that not all the info is made available...Thanks for posting what you did know.

We will probably see this in the NRC reports and it will most likely add to the industry OE's. Like INPO and the NRC have noticed there is a backward trend in incindents like these....

Offline radbitch

• Heavy User
« Reply #147 on: Apr 20, 2004, 11:37 »
Hey Radbastard, Yea lots of new faces! I've been stuck @ the hatch so I don't see most of them. Things are pretty slow on our end right now, everythings been moved-in now were waiting for the mad rush of move-out. Heard yesturday through rumor control that they laid-off 1 tech and 2 deconners. Don't know how much truth is in it. Talk to ya soon.

Offline HousePuke

• Heavy User
« Reply #148 on: Apr 20, 2004, 03:25 »
Wow, twelve days in and laying people off already.  I did hear that H2O2 injection and clean-up went well.  Do you think it's a reality to do it in 30 days?  If it is a good possibility then I wouldn't be looking forward to move-out with the severe case of mega-watt fever that will certainly be prevalent.
Good luck to you Radbitch! A little Karma too.

Offline radbitch

• Heavy User
« Reply #149 on: Apr 21, 2004, 11:18 »
Thanks for thinking about me housepuke, I'm ready for'em, got plenty of B-25's and a few conex's to throw it all in. And thanks for the karma I don't seem to get much anymore!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?