Calvert Cliffs

Above Average
26 (37.1%)
Average
24 (34.3%)
Below Average
20 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Calvert Cliffs  (Read 328692 times)

Offline HousePuke

• ALARA Coordinator / Rad Engineer
  • Heavy User
  • If you don't like it here, go somewhere else!
Re: Calvert Cliffs
« Reply #150 on: Apr 21, 2004, 12:27 »
Are those containers to throw equipment in or the people suffering from mega-watt fever? ;)
Irish diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell such that he looks forward to making the trip.

Inspite of inflation, a penny is still a fair price for most peoples thoughts.

Offline radbitch

• Heavy User
« Reply #151 on: Apr 21, 2004, 04:51 »
Can't say I've had that much of a hard time yet. They keep the OCC stocked with food and I regularly pack a brown bag and bring it down for the crew. I have a great bunch of iron heads and OE's again. Couldn't ask for a better group of guys! They get'er done.

Offline HousePuke

• Heavy User
« Reply #152 on: Apr 22, 2004, 06:44 »
Glad to here you've got a good crew.  That's always a good thing.
Hey, seems like your Karma is going up some more.
Irish diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell such that he looks forward to making the trip.

kwicslvr

« Reply #153 on: Apr 27, 2004, 06:09 »
The outage is moving along very successfully so far.  17 days in 11 days left.  We were 38 hours behind due to un unforseen emergent maintenance task.  We knocked it back down to 5 hours behind a couple days ago and as of today we are right on schedule again.  Only 2 OSHA recordable's so far and they dropped the total dose goal down 10 rem since we are doing so well so far.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #154 on: Apr 27, 2004, 06:21 »
The outage is moving along very successfully so far.  17 days in 11 days left.  We were 38 hours behind due to un unforseen emergent maintenance task.  We knocked it back down to 5 hours behind a couple days ago and as of today we are right on schedule again.  Only 2 OSHA recordable's so far and they dropped the total dose goal down 10 rem since we are doing so well so far.

Much better than 17 days into a 13 day outage. That smarts!
 >:(
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline HousePuke

• Heavy User
« Reply #155 on: Apr 28, 2004, 02:31 »
I've been hearing that it's pretty much on schedule.  I have to say that's impressive!  Although I have also heard that personnel contaminations are pretty high and that there's lots of corners being cut.
All in all, if no-one gets hurt, no serious problems and the works done right then kudos to a job well done.

k-linegirl

« Reply #156 on: Apr 30, 2004, 09:13 »

still on schedule. looking good, however we still have to face start up.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2004, 02:54 by k-linegirl »

Offline HousePuke

• Heavy User
« Reply #157 on: May 01, 2004, 07:26 »
Yep, unit 1 has traditionally been a bit finicky on start-up.
How you doing K-linegirl?  IM me sometime and let me know how you and Mr K-linegirl are doing. ;)

Pdiddy

« Reply #158 on: May 04, 2004, 07:39 »
just returned from calvert...first time there for me. i thought it was a good place to work...lots of time in the bldg. and plenty to do, but they treated me very well. lots of good house techs and vendor techs. working for k-linegirl is better than the atkins diet if you're looking to drop a few pounds...that girl can outwork MOST of the guys!

Offline HousePuke

• Heavy User
« Reply #159 on: May 06, 2004, 04:11 »
So how's the outage going? Should be wrapping up soon assuming it's on time.  What's the scoop?

kwicslvr

« Reply #160 on: May 10, 2004, 07:44 »
Done in 28 days.   We are on the grid and still raising power.   The turbine project took only 20 days to complete which is amazing.

kwicslvr

« Reply #161 on: May 10, 2004, 07:18 »
Here's the newswire writeup:

Constellation Energy's Calvert Cliffs Nuclear Power Plant Completes Turbine Replacement Project in Record Time
May 10, 2004 1:29:00 PM ET

BALTIMORE, May 10 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Constellation Energy CEG today announced that it has completed its Unit 1 low-pressure turbine replacement and refueling outage at the Calvert Cliffs Nuclear Power Plant, 16 days ahead of schedule. The turbine replacement, which was achieved in 20 days, marks a new U.S. nuclear industry record for a three-section replacement.

"Many of our facilities, including Calvert Cliffs, are consistently top performers as compared to similar facilities throughout the nation," said Michael J. Wallace, president of Constellation Generation Group, a subsidiary of Constellation Energy. "To continually achieve operational excellence, be it successfully completing an outage or safely and reliably running our national fleet of power plants, we continually draw on our fleet-wide resources, thereby maximizing performance. This most recent performance at Calvert Cliffs is indicative of the depth of talent and expertise that lies within our team of power generation professionals."

In addition to refueling and routine maintenance activities, Constellation Generation employees and contractors completed an overhaul of an emergency diesel generator and an inspection of Alloy-600 in key piping and welds. A bare metal visual inspection and ultrasonic testing showed the reactor head to be in very good condition.

"The credit for this success goes to our employees and their ability to work as a team, particularly where it involved incorporating lessons learned from our colleagues throughout the industry," said George Vanderheyden, vice president of the Calvert Cliffs facility. "An additional key to our success is our relationships with Westinghouse, GE and AREVA and our collective ability to build a strong team solely focused on this outage. The record-setting results reflect a commitment to safety, excellence and precise execution second to none."

Calvert Cliffs' two nuclear reactors generate approximately 1,700 megawatts.

Constellation Energy (www.constellation.com), a Fortune 500 company based in Baltimore, is the nation's leading competitive supplier of electricity to large commercial and industrial customers and one of the nation's largest wholesale power sellers. Constellation Energy also manages fuels and energy services on behalf of energy intensive industries and utilities. It owns and operates a diversified fleet of power plants throughout the United States. The company delivers electricity and natural gas through the Baltimore Gas and Electric Company (BGE), its regulated utility in Central Maryland. In 2003, the combined revenues of the integrated energy company totaled $9.7 billion.

RADBASTARD

« Reply #162 on: May 11, 2004, 10:11 »
k-line and radbitch- sorry I miss it,sure sounds like it was a real short one.Man those 50 + dayers sure seem like a long time ago.Maybe the next one they will raise the money but I dought it.

astronuke

« Reply #163 on: Jun 03, 2004, 06:13 »
I heard that they have several openings for Chemistry technicians.

kwicslvr

« Reply #164 on: Jun 03, 2004, 10:10 »

Trinian23

« Reply #165 on: Jan 18, 2005, 02:49 »
Proves that I may be to trusting. BUT... if anyone ever needs a place to stay in the area, I live in Alexandria, just PM me. Gotta comfortable couch!
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2005, 06:29 by Duke Nuker »

Offline radbitch

• Heavy User
« Reply #166 on: Jan 21, 2005, 10:57 »
I have a friend that has several rooms for rent. Email me for the phone #.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #167 on: Feb 01, 2005, 02:51 »
Shows you how long I have been away... just read this section about my own hometown.

Solomons is the place to be in southern Maryland. One of my favorite not-mentioned places is called Drydock... tiny little restaurant in a marina with hard to beat food and a killer view. A bit pricey, but well worth it. And while Stoney's crabcake is the biggest around and not to be missed, I think the Drydock cake tastes even better.

JessJen, if you went all the way to Hagerstown for outlet shopping, you missed Kent Island -- just across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge from Annapolis and a lot closer than Hagerstown. Also home to another great restaurant at the Beach Club... eat dinner on the roof and watch the sun set over the Bay.

Marlin... Riordan's is still in Annapolis and so is the brunch. And don't miss Middleton's Tavern if you want to eat in a restaurant where George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin and many of their friends enjoyed their meals. My sister is Director of Visitor Services for the city. Stop by the Visitor's Center and tell Mary Jo that I sent ya!
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2006, 11:36 by RDTroja »
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

jjordan

« Reply #168 on: Feb 01, 2005, 08:01 »
I did 3 outages at CC in a previous life, good plant to work! Great people at the plant, Solomons was fun but pricey. The Lighthouse was my favorite resturaunt, and the Tiki Bar in the summer is a must! Baltimore and DC were big dissapointments, if you have the time Annapolis is the place to go, safer and nicer shops and resturaunts, and a little bit cheaper. I see by some of the names alot of things have changed since I was there last, I know a lot of my freinds are no longer there, but some still are. Have Fun! :-*
JJ

Offline earlbear11

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #169 on: Feb 03, 2005, 12:50 »
to radbitch and whoever i am looking for lodging at calvert cliffs
at sammyanna45@yahoo.com

Offline HousePuke

• Heavy User
« Reply #170 on: Feb 11, 2005, 03:02 »
So how many returnees going to the 'Cliffs for the outage?  I'm hearing three weeks of 7/12's and it's over.

RADBASTARD

« Reply #171 on: Feb 11, 2005, 09:16 »
Well housepuke me and the wife were gonna go but we are still overseas.
The money did got up $3 to $23 but the diem is the same that it has been for the last 5 years.That area isn't cheap, god knows why.The area isn't nothing special.
I heard not many.It is still one of our favorite plants though.We like the techs and the people there.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #172 on: Feb 11, 2005, 11:16 »
You watch how you talk about my neck of the woods, Radbastard... I happen to think it is a great area... close enough to big cities, Solomons has good restaurants, the Chesapeake is great for boating and fishing and you are still far enough away from the rush. What's not to like? Hell, there is even a Starbucks nearby now for those that can't quite give up the yuppie life.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

kwicslvr

« Reply #173 on: Feb 14, 2005, 09:49 »
You watch how you talk about my neck of the woods, Radbastard... I happen to think it is a great area... close enough to big cities, Solomons has good restaurants, the Chesapeake is great for boating and fishing and you are still far enough away from the rush. What's not to like? Hell, there is even a Starbucks nearby now for those that can't quite give up the yuppie life.
All that still doesn't justify the cost of living in the area.  Especially for houses!

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #174 on: Feb 14, 2005, 10:18 »
I have bought three houses there since 1991 and found them to be reasonable for what I got. I have traveled around quite a bit and found cheaper places to live, but IMHO it was a matter of you-get-what-you-pay-for. Compared to where I am right now (Southern Florida) it is pretty reasonable. Besides... as a homeowner I like the fact that the prices are going up. Let's hear it for Equity!

It would not be one of the fastest growing counties in the US if a lot of people didn't find it a reasonable place to stay.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?