Calvert Cliffs

Above Average
26 (37.1%)
Average
24 (34.3%)
Below Average
20 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Calvert Cliffs  (Read 328632 times)

Offline starving_dog

• Moderate User
  • Master of my domain
Re: Calvert Cliffs
« Reply #175 on: Feb 14, 2005, 03:15 »
As a former resident of St. Leonard and contractor at Calvert for a few years, I am with RDTroja.  It was/is a great place to live and raise a family.  I too, am now in Southern Florida and think that Jensen Beach is great too!  SD.
There are the Habs, and the Hab nots.

Offline HousePuke

• ALARA Coordinator / Rad Engineer
  • Heavy User
  • If you don't like it here, go somewhere else!
« Reply #176 on: Feb 14, 2005, 04:58 »
I worked and lived in Calvert for almost 13 years.  I loved the area.  I also made a tiddy sum when I moved and sold my house.  I doubt that I'll ever live there again, but I will be visiting.
Irish diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell such that he looks forward to making the trip.

Inspite of inflation, a penny is still a fair price for most peoples thoughts.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #177 on: Feb 14, 2005, 05:33 »

All that still doesn't justify the cost of living in the area.  Especially for houses!
dude.... that area ain't that expensive fer the locale.  yinz gotta compare it to similar areas, 'n yule find it to be very reasonable.  that place is a freakin major playground for washington, dc, 'n those boys (pc incorrect, eye noe, sew su me) pay big bucks to play.  compare that col to areas that are an hour out of nyc, la, chicago, and are playground areas..... water, shore, bars, restaurants, etc, 'n yewl see what i meen.
'n iffen ya ever wanna make a statement, go fly fishing anywhere around there.  last time i did that, i had traffic backed up at the beach access area at the ranch club.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

kwicslvr

« Reply #178 on: Feb 15, 2005, 10:18 »
DC = murder capital of the country.    Never walk around there at night, anywhere.  Speaking of property....3 bedroom house with no garage and 1200sqft on .19 acre can't be had below $250,000 for one in okay shape.   This is not brick either.  This is the norm in Calvert county.  St. Mary's is a little cheaper but is quickly getting more expensive.  Go north of Calvert and things quickly go above 300k.

Looking at areas around other plants.....I found one that was 4 bedroom 2 1/2 car garage, 3000sqft, riverfront w/boat dock, brick house on 3 acres for $225,000.  This is the norm for most plant locations.   Not here though unless you live in over inflated CA or NY.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #179 on: Feb 15, 2005, 01:04 »
Funny... my house in one of the more desireable neighborhoods on .8 acres, 3 br, 2 bath, fireplace, 2 car garage and a spa room off of the reasonably large master suite was comped at 250k last summer. Maybe I need to go find the agent that is giving kwicslvr his information.

As far as the other house being normal for other plants, I am not so sure. Some, yes, but not most of the ones I have been going to. I don't want to live where most of those plants are. Perhaps others feel the same way and that is why it is so cheap in those areas.

You are right about DC. I only go there during the day, when I go. Rather go to Annapolis, which is one of the best cities I have ever been to, and just a little closer.

Everyone finds value in different things. Most of what I value I find around southern Maryland for a reasonable price. Not everyone will feel that way. To each his own.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline HousePuke

• Heavy User
« Reply #180 on: Feb 16, 2005, 09:34 »
I know the house I sold  would now be selling for about $250K or a little more.  It's what the market will bear.  The place I live now isn't nearly as nice an area, but it is significantly cheaper.  If I had my current house and property (water front) in the Solomons area it would easily be worth aboout $400K.  Here in northern Ohio it's worth about $220K.  I like my current house much better, but not the area.
Irish diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell such that he looks forward to making the trip.

kwicslvr

« Reply #181 on: Jun 21, 2005, 07:32 »
Well ain't this place sure looking purty!  I'd say at least a cool mil has been spent dressing it up for tomorrow. ::)  Money that could of been better spent elsewhere!

Offline starving_dog

• Moderate User
  • Master of my domain
« Reply #182 on: Jun 22, 2005, 07:17 »
It was a pretty plant to begin with.  Nothing is to good for Dubya.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #183 on: Jun 22, 2005, 07:27 »
Well ain't this place sure looking purty!  I'd say at least a cool mil has been spent dressing it up for tomorrow. ::)  Money that could of been better spent elsewhere!

That is a pretty typical preparation for a high visibility visit. Here at St. Lucie there was a lot of money spent on landscaping that happened to coincide with the INPO visit. Most of it was repairing damage from the hurricaines, but it sure did spruce the place up just in time.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

usetobe

« Reply #184 on: Jun 22, 2005, 03:04 »
My Gosh, George Bush in a Control Room,  scary thought!  :D
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2005, 03:06 by Hi Rad Drifter »

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #185 on: Jun 22, 2005, 06:09 »
Fortunately, almost ALL of the opeaators in America's nuclear power plants have their degrees from Thomas Edison State College.  They'll just have to refrain from looking down their noses at GWB and his inferior Ivy League Diplomas
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline HousePuke

• Heavy User
« Reply #186 on: Jun 23, 2005, 08:38 »
Talked to a friend at Calvert last night and they did indeed spend about 1 million on sprucing the place up.  Sounded like Dubya's visit went well.

RADBASTARD

« Reply #187 on: Jun 24, 2005, 08:16 »
Hey HOUSEPUKE I wounder if GEORGE W. ate in the cafateria at calvert and got his food served to him by the SHIM.
He may have said you make a damn good burger for Traney.
I did read and article that if calvert gets approval from the gov.they will build unit 3 at the same site.I guess they have the room for it????

I think it is so great W. is so pro nukes.The problem is the new plants will be ready when we all retire.

kwicslvr

« Reply #188 on: Jun 25, 2005, 06:52 »
Hey HOUSEPUKE I wounder if GEORGE W. ate in the cafateria at calvert and got his food served to him by the SHIM.
He may have said you make a damn good burger for Traney.
I did read and article that if calvert gets approval from the gov.they will build unit 3 at the same site.I guess they have the room for it????

I think it is so great W. is so pro nukes.The problem is the new plants will be ready when we all retire.
LOL.  Unfortunately SHIM is no longer here.  That would of been funny tough!   They actually have the area marked off to build UNIT 3 if it was to happen.  It would be in it's own protected area just north of the current site on the cliffs also.

nikej24

« Reply #189 on: Oct 20, 2005, 03:32 »
If you miss the Tiki Bar opening, then Catamarans is the place to be.

sweetpea

« Reply #190 on: Oct 20, 2005, 03:44 »
lotta cool little bars on solomons island if you're into that. nice people to work with in the plant also {k-line girl}

kwicslvr

« Reply #191 on: Oct 23, 2005, 06:57 »
The Captains Table in Solomons is also an excellant place to eat.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #192 on: Oct 23, 2005, 12:08 »
The Captains Table in Solomons is also an excellant place to eat.

Next time I am home I will tell Jeannie and Bob (they own the Captain's Table and Guido's in Lusby) that they made the honor role.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #193 on: Oct 25, 2005, 06:28 »
there's a freekeen starbucks in lex park?  dang, next thing yew'll tell me is that their chargeen big bux fer one a dem 1/2 trailers ina trailer park there.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

k-linegirl

« Reply #194 on: Dec 18, 2005, 07:09 »
Rooms for rent $125.00 a week utilities included. 10 miles from the plant, lusby area in the chesapeake ranch club. IM me for number.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #195 on: Jan 10, 2006, 05:25 »
I have been invited to Calvert to interview as a Chemistry Tech.

Any words of wisdom out there.

Combing through the Talk Abouts, I have a suspicion the real estate is expensive, but there has to be some reasonable places within an hour's drive?

Offline starving_dog

• Moderate User
  • Master of my domain
« Reply #196 on: Jan 11, 2006, 07:37 »
Depends on whether you have school aged children.  There is no comparison between the Calvert County & St. Mary's County school systems.  If there are no children, look south of the plant in St. Mary's county for bang for your housing buck in that area.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #197 on: Jan 11, 2006, 09:34 »
No children at all or in the near future.

Are there any major shopping areas around? I ask these questions on my wife's behalf.

Whats a wife to do for household needs around the area?

Offline starving_dog

• Moderate User
  • Master of my domain
« Reply #198 on: Jan 11, 2006, 01:16 »
Major shopping centers near Calvert Cliffs are in Waldorf, Annapolis or DC.  There are Walmarts and Target stores for everything else.  Annapolis is probably my favorite area to visit.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #199 on: Jan 11, 2006, 01:52 »
So when you all speak of reasonable living, what specifically to you mean?

I will probably be in the 300-400K max range and prefer quality over quantity. I had to decline a job offer in MD before (Germantown, MD) because of the outrageous cost of living.

I am looking for a minimum of a 3/2.

Is this a possibility?

Also, do people at Calvert commute in from California and further west into VA. Its kind of a unique geography around there and was wondering if people relied upon ferries and bridge access to commute.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?