Calvert Cliffs

Above Average
26 (37.1%)
Average
24 (34.3%)
Below Average
20 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Calvert Cliffs  (Read 328674 times)

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
Re: Calvert Cliffs
« Reply #200 on: Jan 11, 2006, 02:27 »
Commute from California ??? Pretty long drive, unless of course you are talking about having a Lear Jet. ;)
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2006, 02:28 by PWHoppe »
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #202 on: Jan 11, 2006, 02:34 »
A joke <sigh> some of my best material gets lost in translation. :D
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Rakes67

« Reply #203 on: Jan 13, 2006, 11:53 »
Anyone looking for lodging @ Calvert for the steam generator replacement?

I know of several homes/Apts for rent. Send me an email I can set ya up with some phone numbers.

Im looking for  a Hotel,Motel or apt. near Calvert Cliffs ,any help would sure be nice

k-linegirl

« Reply #204 on: Jan 13, 2006, 10:42 »
So when you all speak of reasonable living, what specifically to you mean?

I will probably be in the 300-400K max range and prefer quality over quantity. I had to decline a job offer in MD before (Germantown, MD) because of the outrageous cost of living.

I am looking for a minimum of a 3/2.

Is this a possibility?

Also, do people at Calvert commute in from California and further west into VA. Its kind of a unique geography around there and was wondering if people relied upon ferries and bridge access to commute.

Housing around here is high. You may be able to find something in the 300 to 400 range and that will be with about .25 arce of land. go to homesdatabase.com web site and search the homes there. Really St.Mary's county isn't all that cheap either. But the Southern part of the county is cheaper then the northern part of the county. As far as commuting I am not sure about that. We don't have ferries.
« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2006, 03:26 by k-linegirl »

basketlady

« Reply #205 on: Jan 14, 2006, 12:44 »
I just got word on the 10th ( my B-day) that I will be going to"The Cliffs" as I call it. I'll be staying in Lexington Park ...about 20 min drive if you leave at a good time ( I usually work nights) . On the St. Mary's side you have more food places to pick from on your way to work. I'm staying at the Days Inn .. $52 a night . Room has kitchenette , microwave , and coffe maker. See you there....

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #206 on: Jan 15, 2006, 09:43 »
Housing around here is high. You may be able to find something in the 300 to 400 range and that will be with about .25 arce of land. go to homesdatabase.com web site and search the homes there. Really St.Mary's county isn't all that cheap either. But the Southern part of the county is cheaper then the northern part of the county. As far as commuting I am not sure about that. We don't have ferries.

I own a house here that is on 3/4 acre (with about 10 acres undeveloped around it) that I paid $100K for in 2000 (below market at the time). I just got my most recent tax assessment for the property that shows it at 297K so the value is probably a bit higher. It is 3/2 w/2 car garage, big deck out back and built-in jacuzzi in its own room off the master bedroom. I am sure there are others around here comparable to it (although maybe not the jacuzzi). $300 - 400K still buys some house here.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Rad Sponge

« Reply #207 on: Jan 17, 2006, 09:45 »
Got through the testing and had a wonderful interviewing experience. The HR and Interviewing people were very very very hospitable. The plant was very clean (post-Presidential Visit probably explains it).

The area is beautiful and I have been stuffing myself with Crab Cakes all day.

I extended my visit to travel around S. Calv County et al.

JMK

P.S. Has anybody ever blanked out during a POSS/TSS and forgotten for about 45 seconds how to do basic arithmetic? LOL

Ava

« Reply #208 on: Jan 25, 2006, 03:38 »
First timer at calvert cliffs, looking for reasonable lodging with nearby laundry. Camping isn't an option for me.

kwicslvr

« Reply #209 on: Jan 28, 2006, 04:32 »
You should have no problem finding a nice 3/2 for less than 400k.   We live up in Chesapeake Beach in 2000sqft 4/2 on a .25 acre that is worth right around 300k now.  Farther south you go the less expensive it can be.  The area has a big part to play also.  Right down the road from us are 600-800k houses and a new house a block over just sold for 475k.

03zrider

« Reply #210 on: Jan 30, 2006, 08:59 »
does anyone know if there are any campground that is open this time of year?

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #211 on: Jan 30, 2006, 09:44 »
I am about to accept a full time position at Calvert.

The contractor Calvary arrives in early Feb for the outtage. I am hoping to relo up there sooner.

I am looking for an effeciency or room to rent for a few months until I bring up the Missus.

PM me if you have any specifics.

Look forward to working with you all. I'll be in the Chemistry lab.

JMK

I cant find the number but look around a gentleman by the name of Jeff Green should be able to assist you with that....while I was at calvert I rented a small cabin from him for 300 a week and he also offers larger accomodations as well.

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #212 on: Jan 30, 2006, 09:48 »

I believe it was called the take it easy campground. I rented someones falling in camper for a week until it started leaking around me.  Nice bunch of folks that run it but the showers wont be open for a bit.  lot rent was around 300-375 a month but it is across the bridge and is a bit of a drive to the plant.  heres a listing of camp grounds around the lusby area

http://www.google.com/local?hl=en&hs=wNu&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=campgrounds&near=Lusby,+MD+20657&sa=X&oi=localr

« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2006, 12:38 by Nuclear NASCAR »

03zrider

« Reply #213 on: Jan 30, 2006, 10:04 »
thanks for the reply,i am heading out this friday i may leave the camper a home this time if i cant find something closer .i looks like rent for a room there is pretty cheap

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #214 on: Jan 30, 2006, 10:10 »
no problem....all just depends on the time of yr there....the tiki festival can make things expensive but the drinks are good;) just make sure you have a reservation before getting there.

Offline radbitch

• Heavy User
« Reply #215 on: Jan 30, 2006, 10:56 »

Dennis point marina  301/994-2280
Take it easy retreat & campground 301/994-0494
Patuxent camp sites 410/586-9880

Patuxent is the closest, ~6 or 7 miles. I think Take it easy is closer than Dennis point. Good luck
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2006, 10:59 by radbitch »

Offline radbitch

• Heavy User
« Reply #216 on: Feb 02, 2006, 08:46 »
Room for rent. I don't know if it has been rented or not. Saw it on the board of the Atlantic offices.
Email me for #.
It is a bedroom w/ private bath, I think is was $150.00 aweek.
5 miles from the plant, St. Leonard area.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #217 on: Feb 02, 2006, 06:21 »
Ok I found a place to live in California, MD.

Thanks to all who have been sending me Calvert Info.

See you later.

JMK

kwicslvr

« Reply #218 on: Feb 04, 2006, 05:55 »
I signed up with Bartlett to be a SHP tech at the Calvert Outage.

Kind of funny that as soon as the outage is over, I start there as a FT House Chemistry Technician.

LOL.  That is funny.....See ya real soon then!

DHHII

« Reply #219 on: Feb 06, 2006, 02:14 »
Howdy to all those in the know.  Another Bartlett SrHP here coming in on the 13th and looking to snag a place to stay before I get there so that I don't have to spend all my in-processing time on the phone looking.  So, if there are those who know of rooms or good deals where I don't have to spend all of, or more than, my perdiem please send them my way.  I am not all that fussy nor am I above sleeping on the floor considering that I did just that on the AT.  A room in a house would be just fine if anyone knows of one.  I am quiet and I don't smoke.

Thanks in advance,

Don

DHHII

« Reply #220 on: Feb 06, 2006, 10:42 »
I have found a place and am no longer in need of additional info.  My thanks to those who helped.

DHHII

RADBASTARD

« Reply #221 on: Feb 08, 2006, 10:10 »
I got a room in lexington park at the super 8 for $384 a week.It's high all apound the area god only knows why?

Rad Sponge

Who's up for a drink?
« Reply #222 on: Feb 11, 2006, 02:53 »
Looking forward to meeting everyone on Monday.

If anybody wants to get together for a drink or meal this weekend, let me know.

PM me and I'll give you my mobile.

C'ya soon.

Jason
 ;D

RADBASTARD

« Reply #223 on: Feb 11, 2006, 08:53 »
to bad we won't be there this time for the tiki bar extravaganza.I'd need a week of detox after that

Offline starving_dog

• Moderate User
  • Master of my domain
« Reply #224 on: Feb 23, 2006, 10:33 »
How goes the outage so far?  Hope it is going well and everyone is staying safe.
There are the Habs, and the Hab nots.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?