Fermi NPP

Above Average
30 (50.8%)
Average
11 (18.6%)
Below Average
18 (30.5%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Fermi NPP  (Read 125752 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Fermi NPP
« on: Nov 30, 2002, 07:44 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2006, 09:25 by Rennhack »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: Fermi NPP
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2002, 12:42 »
If anyone has lodging information for this facility, please post it here.

Fermione

« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2002, 05:07 »
(y) Great place to work!  Nice people and a new Manager of RP.  It's a big GE boiler with lower dose rates than would be expected for a slightly older plant.  Come join us this spring for a fairly laid back outage.  Monroe is not the cukturak meca of the midwest but a nice place to visit.

HAIRDUDE

« Reply #3 on: Jul 29, 2003, 09:15 »
Been there a couple of times and loved it. The area is nice and all, but it was the people that put it over the top for me.
Leon, Mark and the whole darn gang ........yah...even you Ronda......made my stay there one I will never forget.
Breakfast at Kelly's.......those were the days!
Floyd

Offline Eightmile

• Light User
  • Walk like a penguin!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2004, 04:03 »
Lots of good folks at Fermi... spent 5 years of my life there as an office assistant in the training department.  Add on the 4 years I'd come visit my mom on bring-your-kid to work day and other occasions, and Fermi is practically home to me.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the outage doesn't go over this time around ;)

Drink a cold one at the Bear Den for me!
It is a well-known fact that although the public is fine
when taken individually, when it forms itself into large
groups, it tends to act as though it has one partially
consumed Pez tablet for a brain.

12RPilot

« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2004, 10:59 »
As an operator, I couldn't be happier. Of course, Fermi is the only place I've worked in the nuclear industry, but the union/management relationship works alot better than other places I've worked. The atmosphere is laid back and jovial while maintaining a professional attitude.

deaztrailnutz

« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2007, 12:20 »
How much of Fermi 1 (the breeder reactor) still exists?  I know it was decomissioned years ago, but does any of it still remain?  Are there any of the original employees still at work on the new reactor?

M1Ark

« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2007, 12:59 »
How much of Fermi 1 (the breeder reactor) still exists?  I know it was decomissioned years ago, but does any of it still remain?  Are there any of the original employees still at work on the new reactor?

When I arrived there in 1994 the fuel and liquid sodium was gone.  Everything else was still there.  There was only 1 person remaining from the Fermi 1 days and his Fermi 2 quals had slipped when I got there in 1994 and his title was the Fermi 1 Custodian.  He retired in the late 90's and the company asked him to come back as a contractor in the early 2000's to help decommision the site.
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2007, 01:00 by M1Ark »

deaztrailnutz

« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2007, 09:52 »
So I take it that the reactor is still in place?  What type of ECCS does a breeder reactor have?

Fermi2

« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2007, 10:01 »
So I take it that the reactor is still in place?  What type of ECCS does a breeder reactor have?

None. None is required. The reactor operated at Atmospheric Pressure so there was no break feasible. Also at the time an ECCS was not required in the sense we have them today.

Mike

randomuser

« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2007, 07:24 »
Are they doing any current Decommissioning work?  Who is the Contractor?  I am currently at Plum Brook, and things are starting to wind down.

Offline Al Eidson

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2007, 07:22 »
Bartlett has the HP and Decon. Marty Erickson is the Lead Bartlett Rad Eng. They are gearing up for reactor vessel disassembly.

Fermione

« Reply #12 on: Apr 05, 2007, 02:13 »
RR,
Actually the area isn't bad at all.  Having spent a good portion of my "ADULT" life there, I would recommend it for someone looking for long term work.  Nice plant and real estate is in the tank right now so you could actually purchase a nice home and it would probably be less than renting.  This is just a personnal opion as I no longer have any affiliation to the "B" or DTE Energy.
Fermione

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #13 on: Apr 05, 2007, 07:29 »
Yes it is a great plant. Most of the house management were old rent a techs  and just super nice people. The area is not that bad. It gets a little cool in the winter but the summer is great. I am like Mike... if not for being so close to my daughter now I would jump on it.

Halcyon Daze

« Reply #14 on: Apr 06, 2007, 05:28 »
I was there for their last outage and I thought it was great. Like CJ said, everyone treats you well (and this includes the general populace as well as the people at the plant) and the area is very nice (if you can take some chilly temps). Ann Arbor isn't too far away, the area west of the plant is very rural in nature and you're on Lake Michigan.

Fermione

« Reply #15 on: Apr 06, 2007, 06:47 »
Daze,
Unless they moved the plant, that would be Lake Erie.
Fermione

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #16 on: Apr 06, 2007, 12:39 »
I think the people of SE Michigan are a bunch of defective, rude, backwards losers.

They must be fans of a team with a bigger stadium. I can't believe they wouldn't love a VOLS fan up there.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

diliigaf

« Reply #17 on: Apr 06, 2007, 01:22 »
         I worked there during the mid 80's for startup and enjoyed my time there ~3 years... As well as things to do I found plenty. Being a sports fan there is plenty to see in Detroit & Ann Arbor  football,baseball basketball and hockey... Windsor is also a nice place to see... :)

Peace  8)
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2007, 01:24 by dilligaf »

WhoMe?

« Reply #18 on: Apr 25, 2007, 09:23 »
 In regards to my above posted mssg, I was asking about the enviroment of the area not the physical proximity (ie: I know where Fermi is), thanks...

Fermi2

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2007, 03:33 »
Great plant, awesome people. NASTY area!

Mike

Offline rocknrollrick

• Moderate User
  • PAYING THE COST TO BE THE BOSS!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: Jul 02, 2007, 10:24 »
Fermi area is what it is,a small farm area that's getting to be a bedroom community of Detroit. Take into account that Michigan's economy has been in the tank since the early 80's and growth is slow. There's alot to see in this state but you have to go a 150 miles North to were it starts. Growing up north of here was great ;D Every state has it's pro's and con's, Lord knows I've been in enough of them over the past 15 years.

Outage season is coming up and another outage at Fermi is at hand. This will be my 4TH outage in a row and you couldn't ask for a better support staff than here. That really speaks volumes these days in a field were profit and budget are King ::) The plants I like to come back to our the one's that like having contractors on site because they need are support!

« Last Edit: Jul 03, 2007, 09:57 by rocknrollrick »
Early to bed, 13 hours on nights, makes you tired, wealthy and a night crawler!!!!

Offline nothinbuttrouble

• SR HP TECH
  • Light User
  • I love being a professional babysitter!!!
« Reply #21 on: Jul 03, 2007, 12:31 »
i would have to say every time i worked fermi the plant has treated me well. i would say it is one of my favorite places to work.  the house techs and managment have always treated me good.   as far as the area goes   ITS ALL WHAT YOU MAKE IT! just like any other small town you go for an outage.  it has lots of good food and i find the people vey friendly.  if given the chance to go to the island go.  that was a good place to go all my its self.  especially the round house.  i would definatiely go back to fermi.  hello to everyone at fermi hope to see you soon.  take care :)

vikingfan

« Reply #22 on: Jul 03, 2007, 10:21 »
anyone have info on the upcoming refuel outage ? start date, length ect ?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #23 on: Jul 03, 2007, 11:38 »
As a gold member, you have access to the outage schedule in the gold members area.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,4784.0.html

vikingfan

« Reply #24 on: Jul 03, 2007, 03:27 »
yea i know i can look at the goldmembers schedule section, was more looking for an insiders point of view since there may be some difference on what is listed on the schedule section. maybe someone out there who is working fermi can validate length of the upcoming refuel outage and some exact dates ??

Offline makua13

• Light User
  • Live Aloha
« Reply #25 on: Jul 03, 2007, 11:19 »
Report dates; 9/10 and 9/17.  30 day outage beginning 9/29.
Live Aloha

Offline Llama

• License Termination Manager
  • Moderate User
  • Have you hugged a llama today?
« Reply #26 on: Jul 10, 2007, 09:32 »
Make sure you stop over to Fermi 1 and say hi when ya'll get here

yuffie_2000us

« Reply #27 on: Jul 11, 2007, 09:18 »
If you plan on coming in with Bartlett don't get sick because you will lose your per diem for the days you miss. Also, don't get hurt or you will be given time off or terminated.

DHHII

« Reply #28 on: Sep 14, 2007, 06:24 »
Thanks for the help.  I should be all set for now with the possible exception of 'must-sees' in the area for what may very well be a once in a lifetime trip. 

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #29 on: Sep 16, 2007, 01:46 »
Sun Set Motel on Telegraph Road charges 150/week single and 220/week double.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

justatech

« Reply #30 on: Oct 11, 2007, 05:28 »
Any truth to the rumor that someone drilled thru RCS pipes?   
(.......................Turkey Point all over again or not?............................. ......)
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2007, 06:15 by justatech »

tadpole

« Reply #31 on: Oct 11, 2007, 08:20 »
Any truth to the rumor that someone drilled thru RCS pipes?   
(.......................Turkey Point all over again or not?............................. ......)

It's true, they found it today in the Dry Well. Closed down the Dry Wells, and posted security officers at all entrances to it. We had to do the buddy system in all vital areas of the plant. The FBI is there investigating as of 1900 today. They are talking about having a stand down and making all contractors leave the site until further notice, but that's talk as of now. I will try and update as I hear more info. Rumors are going around that someone also cut all the camera cords in the Dry Wells.
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2007, 08:23 by tadpole »

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #32 on: Oct 11, 2007, 10:00 »
During a general walkdown of drywell equipment the NRC personnel noticed  what appears to be drill holes in the discharge piping of (3) SRV's.  None of the holes were completly through the piping, and they do not appear to be new.  However all personnel were removed from the drywell at 1300 hours and as of 1900 work had not resumed.  The site declared a unusual event and an investigation is underway.  No camera cords were cut.
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #33 on: Oct 12, 2007, 06:44 »
Turkey Point all over again

If you aren't there yet, you probably don't want to go this year. It will be years before your clearance is straightened out again!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #34 on: Oct 12, 2007, 06:45 »
This press release is out now, and local news is reporting the incident in northwest Ohio.

www.nukeworker.com/news/facility_template.php?facility_news=Fermi+Nuclear+Power+Plant+location:MI
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Fermi2

« Reply #35 on: Oct 12, 2007, 07:09 »
I wonder if it's from the SRV Pressure Taps they moved in the mid 90s.

The Sun Set by the way is a No Tell Motel.

Mike

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #36 on: Oct 12, 2007, 07:27 »
If you aren't there yet, you probably don't want to go this year. It will be years before your clearance is straightened out again!

Actually I was at Turkey during the 'incident' and my security clearance took a whole week to get reinstated. I am sure there were people that had other experiences, but I thought the whole thing was handled pretty well, except for the techs that went across country and were told to go back. I know that hurt.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline rocknrollrick

• Moderate User
« Reply #37 on: Oct 14, 2007, 01:00 »
 :) All is well back in the drywell here at Fermi like nothing ever happened.We started back on Friday night and it's back to business, getting the plant back on line. Read the link on the main page about the incident from the Detroit Free Press. So back to work and Gett'er Done ;)
Early to bed, 13 hours on nights, makes you tired, wealthy and a night crawler!!!!

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #38 on: Oct 15, 2007, 09:18 »
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Offline makua13

• Light User
  • Live Aloha
« Reply #39 on: Oct 18, 2007, 05:02 »
A warning for all Techs thinking of Fermi for 2009.    There has been a major change in the RP Department, and for the worse. 
#  after we were here 2 weeks we are told there is now a cap on travel, and that is why your check is short; we took it back.
# the normal $2. safety bonus and $2. bonus are now tied into Plant goals, so forget it.
# hard hats fall off when wearing the headsets supplied for Drywell use----one of our own was fired last night for not having his hardhat on.  No question, no opportunity to explain, just kick stones.  This from (deleted by moderator).....again....
# no more ALARA points or gifts.  (a small thing sure, but shows the new respect for Contractors)
#  Bartlett RPs not allowed to clear someone out of the Access.  Told by Guard "you are only a Suplimental.  I need a Real Technician"

Of course this all flows from the top, and from an RP stand point, this outage has not been planned, absolutely no organization, but lots of fingers pointing at "Suplimentals".
There is a new Big Dog in town, so hopefully the (deleted by moderator) Age will end soon.

Meanwhile, DTE and the Union have contractual issues, and now all House Techs. have been demoted to "Real Tech. status and the inexpierenced Managers are now on the floor as Lead Techs. 

Many of us (those dumb enough to have returned after the last debackle of an outage) are counting the days until we can put Fermi 2 behind us forever.

There are some real nice House Techs here; my wife and I shall miss them, but we will not be returning to visit.
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2007, 05:10 by Marlin »
Live Aloha

Fermi2

« Reply #40 on: Oct 18, 2007, 05:09 »
Too bad as they used to have a First Class RP Department.

My guess is it's not only a decision or decisions made on his part, it's a reflection on what is happening above him.
For the record, I don't even like the guy you mentioned but right is right.

Mike
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2007, 07:05 by Rennhack »

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
« Reply #41 on: Oct 18, 2007, 05:23 »
A warning for all Techs thinking of Fermi for 2009.    There has been a major change in the RP Department, and for the worse. 
#  after we were here 2 weeks we are told there is now a cap on travel, and that is why your check is short; we took it back.
# the normal $2. safety bonus and $2. bonus are now tied into Plant goals, so forget it.
# hard hats fall off when wearing the headsets supplied for Drywell use----one of our own was fired last night for not having his hardhat on.  No question, no opportunity to explain, just kick stones.  This from (deleted by moderator).....again....
# no more ALARA points or gifts.  (a small thing sure, but shows the new respect for Contractors)
#  Bartlett RPs not allowed to clear someone out of the Access.  Told by Guard "you are only a Suplimental.  I need a Real Technician"

Of course this all flows from the top, and from an RP stand point, this outage has not been planned, absolutely no organization, but lots of fingers pointing at "Suplimentals".
There is a new Big Dog in town, so hopefully the (deleted by moderator) Age will end soon.

Meanwhile, DTE and the Union have contractual issues, and now all House Techs. have been demoted to "Real Tech. status and the inexpierenced Managers are now on the floor as Lead Techs. 

Many of us (those dumb enough to have returned after the last debackle of an outage) are counting the days until we can put Fermi 2 behind us forever.

There are some real nice House Techs here; my wife and I shall miss them, but we will not be returning to visit.
Sounds like the good ol' days. It would be a damn shame if the supplimentals caught that nasty flu bug going around.

Offline makua13

• Light User
  • Live Aloha
« Reply #42 on: Oct 21, 2007, 07:57 »
The day after NW posting, when I went to work, I was told there was a "special" layoff today...2 Techs.  The Makuas!!
Attached to the layoff order was a copy of the NW posting.  Go figure.  Of course this was expected from the same site that only 2 weeks ago ordered another "special" lay off for all the Technicians that had called out sick this outage.  That layoff was canceled due to interference by a Bartlett Supplemental. 
Also, even though USA Technicians were issued lockers, the locker room and restroom was not made available to Bartlett (Male) Techs.
Final comment: If you haven't been to Fermi lately, you don't know jack about intimidation of Blue hats.
Live Aloha

Fermi2

« Reply #43 on: Oct 22, 2007, 07:14 »
You deserved it.

Mike

Offline hoghunter

• Moderate User
  • I have often regretted my speech, never my silence
« Reply #44 on: Oct 30, 2007, 12:47 »
 I started in 81 or 82 who counts after so many. I've been through some bad jobs over the years. being I deconned for most of that.I've never seen a place like (Fermi.decon ). The house contact has everyone so job scared it isn't funny. They refer to the core techs. as house,but the same person  That signs thier Paychecks... signs mine. I will say the average age for decon is 18 to 23,most of which has less then 3 jobs. The way I see it job knowledge was not required.I saw things go on there that would never happen anywhere else. I will say that I  will flip burgers at Micky-D's or stand in a bread line before I go back there. The whole time I was there I would sit in the break room and want to cry because I couldn't even quit.I do want to say the plant itself and other departments were not bad it is just the decon depart.  that sucks
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand

Offline hoghunter

• Moderate User
« Reply #45 on: Oct 31, 2007, 06:15 »
A few days ago I made a post. I thought a person had freedom of speech. I was simply stating how I felt about the place myself,each person has his or her own mind and takes things different.Things I see or dislike someone else may not. I had some good friends there that through the years I have enjoyed working with one of which I did wrong by my post for this I'm so... so... sorry.I would have never posted if I would have know the final results ,like I said before I was stating how myself and some others felt ,but was afraid to say. I'm so!!!!  sorry buddy
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2007, 07:15 by RELLISON62 »

Fermi2

« Reply #46 on: Oct 31, 2007, 08:30 »
Follow my rule when I see something that upsets me. Wait 24 hours THEN post!

Mike

Jr8black3

« Reply #47 on: Oct 31, 2007, 08:59 »
Bobby, aka booger, you did a good job up here at Fermi,, You left here with a good reference and a good evalution ,and hmm the site manager got you the NU test and you passed,, and now there all :/....me included.. your post was a personal insult to me I don't treat people like that and you know it,, I've known you now for over 20 years and you know me better then that..

Jr8black3

« Reply #48 on: Oct 31, 2007, 09:08 »
All Kidding aside remember Bobby I fired you at Millstone in 87,, hey kid you came along way

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #49 on: Nov 01, 2007, 04:39 »
yes he has.  I worked with boog down at oconee and he was a good JR tech and busted his butt to help us all.  more than once I would be on my way out the door to take care of something and I would hear "boog already got that!" thanks boog.

Jerseyboy

« Reply #50 on: Nov 01, 2007, 01:51 »
It's been 8 years since I was a road tech. and remember things that I did'nt always agree with at a particular site or sites. I'm a house tech. for Entergy and at times we do goofy things but just make the money and move on. I agree with Broadzilla about waiting a little bit before you say or do something. I've said things in the past that maybe I should have calmed down some before continuing with my rant but I had to deal with the outcome. Which was not being considered for a management position during the allignment process. If the same situation happened to me again I would probably do or say something similar but word my comments different while insulting my management. Not good advice but house boys can step in it too.   

Offline hoghunter

• Moderate User
« Reply #51 on: Nov 01, 2007, 06:29 »
(jr8black3)
I think this is something we need to discuss in private,but you can't do that.I only regret one thing about my post and that  is a very good freind took it wrong. I'm going to say a few things and then that is all I'm going to say on this or any other post.We have the freedom of speech.I'm very sorry you took it the way you did,but if you would remember I told you the two things keeping me there and that was my next job and a word to a freind because where I come from freindship means something.I didn't say anything about you(yOU MAY BE THE ONE PLUS ABOUT THAT PLACE).I was at that job in 87,you know yourself I run to work not from it ( anyone knows me knows that ). You know that was when I was young and dumb and if you remember that was pre- FFd days so my exit was self caused not work related. I also thing it was the site rep that let me go. We all have a past I'm not proud but I will not hide it.I want to say to the ones that stated to wait,if you weren't there you wouldn't know.I have made my last statement on this post.I want you to know I only respect those who deserve it and I think you know where that lies with you buddy.I'm just sorry I lost agood freind

Fermi2

« Reply #52 on: Nov 01, 2007, 08:01 »
Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives...

Mike

Offline Limited Quanity

• Moderate User
  • Don't worry about the mule just load the wagon!
« Reply #53 on: Nov 01, 2007, 10:27 »
Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives...

Mike
Or "As the Stomach Churns" 

Old Carol Burnett fan.
I used to be a lifeguard until some blue kid got me fired.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #54 on: Nov 01, 2007, 10:45 »
Just a reminder from the first post on each of these threads.

"Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil." Michael Rennhack

Thanks

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #55 on: Nov 05, 2007, 06:56 »
Just wondering how the Fermi outage is going?  and I wanna give a shout out to the dayshift drywell crew.   It was fun.  In 2 weeks I have hit my head 2683 times less working Oconee's containment compared to fermi's drywell. They actually have "real" elevations here.
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

stownsend

« Reply #56 on: Nov 09, 2007, 10:52 »
,and hmm the site manager got you the NU test and you passed,

Is this true. He gave a copy of the NU test?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #57 on: Nov 09, 2007, 06:18 »
Is this true. He gave a copy of the NU test?
Thats not what that says.  It says that the Site Coordinator arranged for the person to take the test.

dhemmele

« Reply #58 on: Nov 12, 2007, 01:19 »
Is it true that the Radwaste personnel at Fermi are required to ask permission to use the restroom? >:(

Fermi2

« Reply #59 on: Nov 15, 2007, 11:55 »
Furnished 2 bed room house all utilities included, washer/dryer , Quiet safe sub division on Lake Erie. $275 weekly Single person or 2 people sharing $200 each per week, for more details, call Lynda or Adrian tel 734 652 5606 or e mail lyndajean47-mi hotmail.com .

Aren't you like, a week late?

Mike

Offline rocknrollrick

• Moderate User
« Reply #60 on: Nov 26, 2007, 02:18 »
Well drove down I-75 passing through on Friday 23rd and steam was coming from the towers. Finally back on line ;D This was not the normal Fermi outage but would like to thank everyone for the 7 weeks of overtime and the bumps and lumps that the drywell provided :o If you like rock climbing, hiking and heights, stop in next outage and ask to work in the dry-well. To all the house techs good-luck on the contract talks. Until Next Time :P
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2007, 02:21 by rocknrollrick »

theman

« Reply #61 on: Nov 28, 2007, 01:49 »
Hey , Guys:  I stayed at Best Western in monroe, Mi. Just east of I-75 and about 6 miles west of the plant. On dixie hgwy, they were the best bang for your buck hotel on weekly deals in the erea for what they had to offer within all the 8 hotels in this area. And trust me i tried shoping all around. There front desk staff was very frindly, and didnt seem to mind to go out of there way to help.

The rooms were clean, and I didnt have to worry about my stuff being gone though. and they cleaned my room every day. they personaly call you, if you need a wake-up call. there office doors are open for continental breakfast at 5:00am
they have a pretty good breakfast. 

Such as pancakes,wallfles,bagels,fresh fruit,danishes,hot oatmeal,juice,cereal,milk,donuts,breads,boiled eggs,yogart
and of course coffee. One of my highlights was on tuesdays, which was a free guest appreciation dinner, they had every tuesday.

which offered  steamed vegs, chile, soup, spagettie, pizza, subs. you cant find that just anywhere. all included in my weekly price. also they have a guest lanundry on site, and I didnt have to leave the property which save me gas, and time.

In each room they have refrigeratiors & microwaves, coffee maker, hair dryer, 27"tvs with free H.B.O. and you can park at your door. They have free high speed wireless internet which I took advantage of. Also they have a computer in the lobby for guest to use free of charge.  Free local calls, restaurants walking distance such as Bob Evans, Burger King, Red Lopster. They have an outdoor heated pool.

Free fax and copy service is available. also postage and stationay is available. also they have kitchenettes in suites which I looked at and very nice,  I had a pleasant stay with this hotel, the nicest Ive stayed in for a long time. and the hotel staff is outstanding. I will go back in the near future. I promissed the staff that I would post this on our web site. You've got to stay there to see for your self.

illegalsmile

« Reply #62 on: Dec 21, 2007, 08:31 »
Rick, ya need t'change your avatar, man. RadBitch already has that one and she looks a lot better in it than you do.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #63 on: Dec 21, 2007, 11:26 »
Rick, ya need t'change your avatar, man. RadBitch already has that one and she looks a lot better in it than you do.

I agree 100%

illegalsmile

« Reply #64 on: Dec 22, 2007, 09:12 »
Unless he's a cross dresser?  (j/k)

Oh Yeah ..... Back (mmmhhhuuummmmmmm*sound of clearing my throat*) on Topic if all would be so kind.
Since Rick is a 'fixture' at Fermi, talkin' about Rick IS on topic ;)

Offline rocknrollrick

• Moderate User
« Reply #65 on: Jan 07, 2008, 12:43 »
Opp's must have left my log on open and somebody thought they could have fun!!!
Just back from vacation and at Calvert

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #66 on: Jan 07, 2008, 07:29 »
Opp's must have left my log on open and somebody thought they could have fun!!!
Just back from vacation and at Calvert

:) much better  :)

Offline makua13

• Light User
  • Live Aloha
Fermi 2
« Reply #67 on: Jun 11, 2008, 12:09 »
As I promised my many friends (House Tech.s) at Fermi; I am posting a retraction of my negative comments on Fermi.
The root of evil, here, has been removed.  Radcon is in the process of replacing it's Leadership and things can
only improve from this point.  The issues with Decon are also being addressed.  Fermi has been reinstated on
my own outage schedule and I encourage my fellow RPs to return. 
Live Aloha

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
Re: Fermi 2
« Reply #68 on: Jun 11, 2008, 01:39 »
Yes how things are changing up there.  Just hope I never have to do an outage up there or anywhere unless I want to.
Laundry Man

Fermi2

« Reply #69 on: Jun 11, 2008, 02:09 »
What exactly happened up there? When I left Lance, Big Dog, and Hal were running the Radcon Dept. Now I know Hal left and now he's at TVA. But what happened to the others?

The Techs there were wonderful people. Very helpful, great guys and party animals. The actual deconners were excellent guys. I especially liked the ones that eventually became Operators but in fact I tended to like that whole department.

Mike

Offline IRLFAN

• Moderate User
« Reply #70 on: Jun 11, 2008, 07:22 »
Mike,  Jack finally took pity on the RP department and resigned.

I haven't been in the plant for the last couple of days, but I could have sworn I saw little people skipping around singing about someone dropping a house. ;)

J Jones
Democracy is 4 wolves and 1 sheep
voting on what's for dinner.

Liberty is the sheep with a .357 magnum
telling the wolves where to stick it.

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #71 on: Jun 12, 2008, 08:22 »
Mike,
Lance is out of the department, the "new RPM" left, Jack is headed east, Big Dog runs the office for now, and no one is in the pipe line for RPM since the Rad Engineering Manager left over a year ago.  They could bring Ed back? If senior management was smart, they might consider rehiring a certain individual.  They have had a major brain drain as those with a majority of the HP knowledge such as Dr Bill are gone.
LM

Fermi2

« Reply #72 on: Jun 12, 2008, 01:01 »
Big Dog and Lance are good people. What is Lance doing now?

I never got along with Jack. I doubt he meant bad but he wasn't the brightest crayola in a pack of 512.

The RPM Job sounds good. Do you know I applied for it once?

JJones, HEY MAN! I would have known it was you without the JJones. Gary Casey and I were just talking about you the other day.

Mike

Offline IRLFAN

• Moderate User
« Reply #73 on: Jun 12, 2008, 08:09 »
Big Dog and Lance are good people. What is Lance doing now?

I never got along with Jack. I doubt he meant bad but he wasn't the brightest crayola in a pack of 512.

The RPM Job sounds good. Do you know I applied for it once?

JJones, HEY MAN! I would have known it was you without the JJones. Gary Casey and I were just talking about you the other day.

Mike

Well I just included it to make sure you knew who it was.  And you weren't the only one who didn't get along with Jack.  Come to think of it, there may only be one or two who did.

And whatever Gary said, I'm sure it's not true.   ;)
Democracy is 4 wolves and 1 sheep
voting on what's for dinner.

Liberty is the sheep with a .357 magnum
telling the wolves where to stick it.

Offline nickscott13

• Light User
« Reply #74 on: Aug 13, 2008, 01:36 »
I took the Northeast at Fermi this past fall for the first time and passed it.  As far as I have known, it was credited to me, noone has ever said different up till recently when a buddy of mine said that the person who administered the test to us was out of date for his quals and that our scores were not credited.  has anyone heard about this because I really dont want to take that test again.  even though I am a jr, it was nice to know it was out of the way for now.

Nick

Offline rocknrollrick

• Moderate User
« Reply #75 on: Nov 25, 2008, 07:57 »
Hey there Fermi Fans ;D Well have been here on site since Nov. 3rd and things are definitley changing. Although there are a few growing pains the stress level has come down here ;DThere are some changes for the good from RPM on down. Looking forward to a great outage the end of March 09.

If you like a challenge as a RP such as: rock climbing ;sky diving; or are just a thrill seeker; may I suggest the Fermi Dry Well for you. :P This is a younger more inavative RP Department than most. So if you want a change of pace give Scott a call at Bartlett for your Travel needs.;)

But seriously we don't use the "J" word around these parts anymore :o

dwireman

« Reply #76 on: Dec 06, 2008, 04:48 »
2 Places for rent:

2963 N. Dixie Hwy ( across from Circle K store)
3 miles from plant entrance.
3 Bedroom furnished, $750.00/Mo. plus $50.00/Mo.
for each additional occupant. Includes all utilities,
plus cable tv.  Located above a small strip mall,
plenty of parking and relatively quiet both day and
night.  Contact Mary at 734-289-2938 for availability.
I rented this place 4 of the five times I have been here.

2 Bedroom house for rent, furnished, with washer and dryer.
3036 Monrona Dr. in Detroit Beach subdivision, this is a really
nice place, completely renovated. Very clean. 3.5 miles fron
Fermi 2.
$1000.00/Mo, includes utilities, plus cable.
Contact Larry at 734-289-4131.

ls13

Getting in DTE Energy plant in monroe
« Reply #77 on: Feb 07, 2009, 05:39 »
I have a poss test scheduled for next month for dte energy in detroit. can anyone throw some light on the hiring process in this energy company?. will they move fast if i clear the poss?.thanks

Also, appreciate if anyone can post the next promotions to nuclear operator and the qualifications to climb the company ladder.
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2009, 06:00 by ls13 »

Offline rocknrollrick

• Moderate User
« Reply #78 on: Feb 11, 2009, 08:10 »
Well it all depends, but most of the time DTE corp. moves slow. I take that you are appling for an operations position. The other thing is due to the state of the economy they have frozen most new hires unless there is budget money for that position. This is a good place to work, as far as advancement up the ladder a lot of ops in front of you are young. :o
Hope this helps you out.
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2009, 08:13 by rocknrollrick »

Offline rocknrollrick

• Moderate User
« Reply #79 on: Mar 30, 2009, 09:49 »
 ;D Well here we go,ready or not!!  The outage is underway we have had some challenges but would like to give a shout out to all the Bartlett RP's for being patient. We have had a lot of them really step up to the plate. I'm sure we still will have more challenges in the upcoming days but I thank all for their professionalism. Remember the theme for this one "It is what it is"
RFO1 Revision 13. ;D

Offline rocknrollrick

• Moderate User
« Reply #80 on: Apr 29, 2009, 04:10 »
 ;)Well the reactor is critical at 4:05am time to start heating up. Once again would like to thank all the RP's and Deconners on the night shift for their hard work. At the start it looked like it was going to be a real mess but we made it through, hopefully with some lessons learned. :D To everyone traveling be save and we'll see you down the road.  :P

Cathy

« Reply #81 on: Aug 18, 2010, 04:59 »
Can anybody fill me in on the current requirements for footwear for HP/RP techs for the outage?

Jr8black3

« Reply #82 on: Aug 18, 2010, 05:16 »
Steel toe or composite toe with leather uppers.

Sun Dog

« Reply #83 on: Aug 18, 2010, 05:58 »
Steel toe or composite toe with leather uppers.

A.K.A. footwear that meets ANSI Z41.1 requirements.

I strongly suggest picking up a pair of Timberland PRO® TiTan®.  I wear Style #50507.  They have non-metallic toe caps, eyelets, and shanks so passing straight through the metal detectors is a breeze.  They are light weight and very comfortable with nearly zero break-in period.  They feel right in cold or hot weather.  If you are a Sparkie, they even meet ANSI Z41PT99, ASTM F2412-05 and F2413-05 standards to provide protection from open circuits.

If you shop Amazon, you can order a pair for about $110 and they will be on your doorstep in a few days.

twinturbo427

« Reply #84 on: Aug 18, 2010, 08:29 »
I found them for $99.99 here:    http://www.familyfootwearcenter.com/Timberland-PRO-TiTAN-6-Composite-Toe-Work-Boot-Black-p226.html

and here, $103.20 with free standard shipping:     http://www.zappos.com/timberland-pro-titan-6-composite-toe-black

thanks for the tip Sun Dog.   +K

radbrat

« Reply #85 on: Aug 20, 2010, 08:52 »
Out of the Fermi safety handbook: "Suitable work shoes are defined as all leather uppers and slip resistant soles to adequately protect the feet and provide surefootedness on all surfaces".  The toolcrib will provide extra PPE as required for the hazards encountered, even spikes for traveling across ice, which you may or may not encounter.                             
Steel toe or composite toe with leather uppers. This is a Bartlett requirement.

Sun Dog

« Reply #86 on: Aug 20, 2010, 10:04 »
Out of the Fermi safety handbook: "Suitable work shoes are defined as all leather uppers and slip resistant soles to adequately protect the feet and provide surefootedness on all surfaces".  The toolcrib will provide extra PPE as required for the hazards encountered, even spikes for traveling across ice, which you may or may not encounter.                              

Thanks for the input.

It should not matter whether your employer requires ANSI approved footwear or lets you run around in leather sneakers.  Do not take a minimalistic approach to your personal safety.  Manufacturers have made great strides (no pun intended) in producing ANSI approved footwear that is comfortable and affordable.  There is no upside to wearing anything less.

JMNSHO.

« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2010, 06:07 by Sun Dog »

Jr8black3

« Reply #87 on: Aug 20, 2010, 02:44 »
RAD BRAT you have to walk over a 1/4 of a mile to get to the tool crib,,duh..

How dumb can you be and still intake air..

mostlyharmless

« Reply #88 on: Aug 26, 2010, 10:03 »
Rockport makes a variety of safety shoes that are very comfortable. If you are going to be using them for work and not just just the occasional walk around the site,then comfort is important. Since comfort is purely subjective you should try them on first. All shoes vary within the brand and within a particular style. And there are many outlets for purchase. Find a brand and style you can live with,but in the case of safety shoes,function is more important than style. My shoes are not pretty but they are comfortable.

Fermi2

« Reply #89 on: Aug 22, 2013, 08:42 »
I'm interviewing in Ops and Engineering Training on September 5th.

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #90 on: Aug 23, 2013, 08:34 »
Back to Fermi Mike?  Say hi to Lynne Goodman.
LM

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #92 on: May 03, 2015, 09:00 »
Just because the NRC says yes, doesn't mean they are going to build it.  In fact they don't plan to build it now.  They just want to have the option available when they are ready. -- Which is still a good thing.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #93 on: May 03, 2015, 09:25 »
A good thing indeed! As an additional bonus, the seismic engineers and accelerometer techs will finally get some overdue respect!  :P

« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 09:26 by HydroDave63 »

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #94 on: May 03, 2015, 09:42 »
They haven't set any money aside nor made a rate case for construction. Their base load is lowering and DTE is too bottom line a company to build another nuke. The first one nearly bankrupted them and they are seeing the construction and cost over runs at Southern and SCANA. It will never happen .

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #95 on: May 04, 2015, 08:20 »
DTE depends on coal for a majority of their power production.  And we all know how that is working out..
LM

Offline pinhead

• Lurker
« Reply #96 on: May 04, 2015, 12:05 »
DTE depends on coal for a majority of their power production.  And we all know how that is working out..
LM

DTE will be closing alot of the coal plants very shortly. They are jumping on the "gas" bandwagon.

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #97 on: May 04, 2015, 12:24 »
Well they are a gas company too. They will keep Monroe, Bell River and a few Rouge units open as it makes sense as they are big, paid off, have the modifications they need and are proven money makes. Chunk down a couple big Gas turbines and they easily make up for any power needs. What they won't do is chunk down 9 or 10 billion for a nuke

Offline pinhead

• Lurker
« Reply #98 on: May 04, 2015, 12:35 »
Well they are a gas company too. They will keep Monroe, Bell River and a few Rouge units open as it makes sense as they are big, paid off, have the modifications they need and are proven money makes. Chunk down a couple big Gas turbines and they easily make up for any power needs. What they won't do is chunk down 9 or 10 billion for a nuke

Copy that!!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #99 on: Sep 12, 2021, 06:07 »
I assume Fermi is still a union plant? Do the RP supplemental techs have to join the union and/or pay dues?
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?