Facility & Company Information > Fermi NPP

Fermi NPP

<< < (2/20) > >>

12RPilot:
As an operator, I couldn't be happier. Of course, Fermi is the only place I've worked in the nuclear industry, but the union/management relationship works alot better than other places I've worked. The atmosphere is laid back and jovial while maintaining a professional attitude.

deaztrailnutz:
How much of Fermi 1 (the breeder reactor) still exists?  I know it was decomissioned years ago, but does any of it still remain?  Are there any of the original employees still at work on the new reactor?

M1Ark:

--- Quote from: deaztrailnutz on Feb 02, 2007, 12:20 ---How much of Fermi 1 (the breeder reactor) still exists?  I know it was decomissioned years ago, but does any of it still remain?  Are there any of the original employees still at work on the new reactor?

--- End quote ---

When I arrived there in 1994 the fuel and liquid sodium was gone.  Everything else was still there.  There was only 1 person remaining from the Fermi 1 days and his Fermi 2 quals had slipped when I got there in 1994 and his title was the Fermi 1 Custodian.  He retired in the late 90's and the company asked him to come back as a contractor in the early 2000's to help decommision the site.

deaztrailnutz:
So I take it that the reactor is still in place?  What type of ECCS does a breeder reactor have?

Fermi2:

--- Quote from: deaztrailnutz on Feb 02, 2007, 09:52 ---So I take it that the reactor is still in place?  What type of ECCS does a breeder reactor have?

--- End quote ---

None. None is required. The reactor operated at Atmospheric Pressure so there was no break feasible. Also at the time an ECCS was not required in the sense we have them today.

Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version