Fermi NPP

Above Average
30 (50.8%)
Average
11 (18.6%)
Below Average
18 (30.5%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Fermi NPP  (Read 125719 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Fermi NPP
« on: Nov 30, 2002, 07:44 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2006, 09:25 by Rennhack »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: Fermi NPP
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2002, 12:42 »
If anyone has lodging information for this facility, please post it here.

Fermione

« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2002, 05:07 »
(y) Great place to work!  Nice people and a new Manager of RP.  It's a big GE boiler with lower dose rates than would be expected for a slightly older plant.  Come join us this spring for a fairly laid back outage.  Monroe is not the cukturak meca of the midwest but a nice place to visit.

HAIRDUDE

« Reply #3 on: Jul 29, 2003, 09:15 »
Been there a couple of times and loved it. The area is nice and all, but it was the people that put it over the top for me.
Leon, Mark and the whole darn gang ........yah...even you Ronda......made my stay there one I will never forget.
Breakfast at Kelly's.......those were the days!
Floyd

Offline Eightmile

• Light User
  • Walk like a penguin!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2004, 04:03 »
Lots of good folks at Fermi... spent 5 years of my life there as an office assistant in the training department.  Add on the 4 years I'd come visit my mom on bring-your-kid to work day and other occasions, and Fermi is practically home to me.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the outage doesn't go over this time around ;)

Drink a cold one at the Bear Den for me!
It is a well-known fact that although the public is fine
when taken individually, when it forms itself into large
groups, it tends to act as though it has one partially
consumed Pez tablet for a brain.

12RPilot

« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2004, 10:59 »
As an operator, I couldn't be happier. Of course, Fermi is the only place I've worked in the nuclear industry, but the union/management relationship works alot better than other places I've worked. The atmosphere is laid back and jovial while maintaining a professional attitude.

deaztrailnutz

« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2007, 12:20 »
How much of Fermi 1 (the breeder reactor) still exists?  I know it was decomissioned years ago, but does any of it still remain?  Are there any of the original employees still at work on the new reactor?

M1Ark

« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2007, 12:59 »
How much of Fermi 1 (the breeder reactor) still exists?  I know it was decomissioned years ago, but does any of it still remain?  Are there any of the original employees still at work on the new reactor?

When I arrived there in 1994 the fuel and liquid sodium was gone.  Everything else was still there.  There was only 1 person remaining from the Fermi 1 days and his Fermi 2 quals had slipped when I got there in 1994 and his title was the Fermi 1 Custodian.  He retired in the late 90's and the company asked him to come back as a contractor in the early 2000's to help decommision the site.
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2007, 01:00 by M1Ark »

deaztrailnutz

« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2007, 09:52 »
So I take it that the reactor is still in place?  What type of ECCS does a breeder reactor have?

Fermi2

« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2007, 10:01 »
So I take it that the reactor is still in place?  What type of ECCS does a breeder reactor have?

None. None is required. The reactor operated at Atmospheric Pressure so there was no break feasible. Also at the time an ECCS was not required in the sense we have them today.

Mike

randomuser

« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2007, 07:24 »
Are they doing any current Decommissioning work?  Who is the Contractor?  I am currently at Plum Brook, and things are starting to wind down.

Offline Al Eidson

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2007, 07:22 »
Bartlett has the HP and Decon. Marty Erickson is the Lead Bartlett Rad Eng. They are gearing up for reactor vessel disassembly.

Fermione

« Reply #12 on: Apr 05, 2007, 02:13 »
RR,
Actually the area isn't bad at all.  Having spent a good portion of my "ADULT" life there, I would recommend it for someone looking for long term work.  Nice plant and real estate is in the tank right now so you could actually purchase a nice home and it would probably be less than renting.  This is just a personnal opion as I no longer have any affiliation to the "B" or DTE Energy.
Fermione

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #13 on: Apr 05, 2007, 07:29 »
Yes it is a great plant. Most of the house management were old rent a techs  and just super nice people. The area is not that bad. It gets a little cool in the winter but the summer is great. I am like Mike... if not for being so close to my daughter now I would jump on it.

Halcyon Daze

« Reply #14 on: Apr 06, 2007, 05:28 »
I was there for their last outage and I thought it was great. Like CJ said, everyone treats you well (and this includes the general populace as well as the people at the plant) and the area is very nice (if you can take some chilly temps). Ann Arbor isn't too far away, the area west of the plant is very rural in nature and you're on Lake Michigan.

Fermione

« Reply #15 on: Apr 06, 2007, 06:47 »
Daze,
Unless they moved the plant, that would be Lake Erie.
Fermione

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #16 on: Apr 06, 2007, 12:39 »
I think the people of SE Michigan are a bunch of defective, rude, backwards losers.

They must be fans of a team with a bigger stadium. I can't believe they wouldn't love a VOLS fan up there.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

diliigaf

« Reply #17 on: Apr 06, 2007, 01:22 »
         I worked there during the mid 80's for startup and enjoyed my time there ~3 years... As well as things to do I found plenty. Being a sports fan there is plenty to see in Detroit & Ann Arbor  football,baseball basketball and hockey... Windsor is also a nice place to see... :)

Peace  8)
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2007, 01:24 by dilligaf »

WhoMe?

« Reply #18 on: Apr 25, 2007, 09:23 »
 In regards to my above posted mssg, I was asking about the enviroment of the area not the physical proximity (ie: I know where Fermi is), thanks...

Fermi2

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2007, 03:33 »
Great plant, awesome people. NASTY area!

Mike

Offline rocknrollrick

• Moderate User
  • PAYING THE COST TO BE THE BOSS!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: Jul 02, 2007, 10:24 »
Fermi area is what it is,a small farm area that's getting to be a bedroom community of Detroit. Take into account that Michigan's economy has been in the tank since the early 80's and growth is slow. There's alot to see in this state but you have to go a 150 miles North to were it starts. Growing up north of here was great ;D Every state has it's pro's and con's, Lord knows I've been in enough of them over the past 15 years.

Outage season is coming up and another outage at Fermi is at hand. This will be my 4TH outage in a row and you couldn't ask for a better support staff than here. That really speaks volumes these days in a field were profit and budget are King ::) The plants I like to come back to our the one's that like having contractors on site because they need are support!

« Last Edit: Jul 03, 2007, 09:57 by rocknrollrick »
Early to bed, 13 hours on nights, makes you tired, wealthy and a night crawler!!!!

Offline nothinbuttrouble

• SR HP TECH
  • Light User
  • I love being a professional babysitter!!!
« Reply #21 on: Jul 03, 2007, 12:31 »
i would have to say every time i worked fermi the plant has treated me well. i would say it is one of my favorite places to work.  the house techs and managment have always treated me good.   as far as the area goes   ITS ALL WHAT YOU MAKE IT! just like any other small town you go for an outage.  it has lots of good food and i find the people vey friendly.  if given the chance to go to the island go.  that was a good place to go all my its self.  especially the round house.  i would definatiely go back to fermi.  hello to everyone at fermi hope to see you soon.  take care :)

vikingfan

« Reply #22 on: Jul 03, 2007, 10:21 »
anyone have info on the upcoming refuel outage ? start date, length ect ?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #23 on: Jul 03, 2007, 11:38 »
As a gold member, you have access to the outage schedule in the gold members area.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,4784.0.html

vikingfan

« Reply #24 on: Jul 03, 2007, 03:27 »
yea i know i can look at the goldmembers schedule section, was more looking for an insiders point of view since there may be some difference on what is listed on the schedule section. maybe someone out there who is working fermi can validate length of the upcoming refuel outage and some exact dates ??

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?