Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Best New Reactor Design  

Author Topic: Best New Reactor Design  (Read 97161 times)

Fermi2

Re: Best New Reactor Design
« Reply #75 on: Feb 28, 2007, 12:55 »
Easier to Maneuver, also post Shutdown, Shutdown margin is never a problem.

Mike

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #76 on: Feb 28, 2007, 04:30 »
Easier to Maneuver, also post Shutdown, Shutdown margin is never a problem.

Mike

...in response to the mentioned member of the public, would "easier to operate" be equivalent to "easier to maneuver"...

Fermi2

« Reply #77 on: Feb 28, 2007, 04:43 »
No

M1Ark

« Reply #78 on: Feb 28, 2007, 11:23 »
GE made the BWR easier to maneuver by making it an extremely complex machine.  They can shed 30% Reactor Power in seconds.  Translation= things happen really fast which does not = easier.   

Fermi2

« Reply #79 on: Mar 01, 2007, 02:13 »
I'm not sure about CE Reactors but a Westinghouse 4 Loop Reactor can shed about 30% load extremely fast during a runback, BUT so much active stuff happens you really have to be on your toes, Rods insert, Steam Dumps Open, Spray Valves open, the turbine sheds load and in many cases you end up Emergency Borating. The two Runbacks I had at Fermi and the time the HTR Drain Pump tripped the plant ran back, stabilized and that was that.

On the OTHER hand, The ECCS was complicated as heck and was required in about every mode. One thing I like about PWR Tech Specs, once the plant is cold about all your major Tech Specs are non applicable.

Mike

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #80 on: Mar 01, 2007, 06:56 »
The ECCS was complicated as heck and was required in about every mode. One thing I like about PWR Tech Specs, once the plant is cold about all your major Tech Specs are non applicable.

That is because Boiling is good. And you can't trust gravity. (And M1 didn't think I could figure out BWRs!)  ::)
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

M1Ark

« Reply #81 on: Mar 01, 2007, 09:17 »
That is because Boiling is good. And you can't trust gravity. (And M1 didn't think I could figure out BWRs!)  ::)

LOL...  Roll Tide you could absolutely figure out BWR's. I just wasn't good enough to really explain it to you.

Fermi2

« Reply #82 on: Mar 02, 2007, 02:50 »
Boiling in some places in a PWR is a good thing, so long as it's on the correct side of the tubes!

Gravity might work in a PWR but at a BWR I never had to wok about rods moving on instrument failures, unless of course I had enough to cause a Reactor Trip (or SCRAM as they used on the other side of the force).

Also, BORON is a GOOD thing!! Well sort of!

One thing that was a real eye opener to me is having to know when the last time you placed a Charging pump in service was, or what the plant conditions were the last time you took a demin out of service as if you just swap equipment around without thinking these things through you might find you've changed power and caused a Reactivity Event.

I happen to like the change to learn a different technology and I like both Reactor Types. They each have their idiosnycrasies , good points and bad points. I know on both Reactors I've worked at I've said I wonder WHY the HECK they did it THAT way but that's the fun part.

Mike

rlbinc

« Reply #83 on: Apr 18, 2007, 01:50 »

Also, BORON is a GOOD thing!! Well sort of!

One more "hole in the head ala Davis Besse" and we'll be posting on "exNukeworker.com"

LaFeet

« Reply #84 on: Apr 20, 2007, 01:34 »
I can recall one design where we could say that there is no decay heat after 10 days of shutdown.... that made all the number crunchers go bezerk.

It seems the simplest designs are the safest.  Fewer bends, single or double pass, isolation valves and some sort of reliable emergency cooling.  I dont know.... aren't we just boiling water???   And why all the tritium scare...heck... it's just tritium.  Think I'll have another beer. ???

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #85 on: Apr 20, 2007, 03:50 »
The Pebble Bed reactor made a big splash for a while and South Africa at one time intended to build one. Lately there has not been much noise about it, has it gone by the wayside?

rlbinc

« Reply #86 on: Apr 20, 2007, 09:15 »
I heard that the PBMR needs magnetic bearings which have not been completely developed. The turbine runs at a few thousand degrees, so oil bearings won't work.

I think graphite can be trusted in a Helium environment. I like the continuous fuel feed and reload. I like the efficiency numbers.
I also think the small scale (110 Mwe)  is more suited to sparsely loaded African continent than here in the US. www.pbmr.co.za

deaztrailnutz

« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2007, 04:31 »
The Pebble Bed reactor made a big splash for a while and South Africa at one time intended to build one. Lately there has not been much noise about it, has it gone by the wayside?
Does anyone know anything about the new General Atomics designs?  I know the last plant GA built in Colorado was a bust, but on paper their new designs look good http://gt-mhr.ga.com/.   

ALSO

I have a question for M1RK, Broadzilla and the other BWR gurus; what were the major design differences between the Allis-Chalmers & GE BWR?  Did the Allis-Chalmers design use a drywell & torus for primary containment too?

Fermi2

« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2007, 05:15 »
Allis And Chambers used a dedicated steam drum. All the first generation BWRs used Smaller versions of PWR Containments. When GE started to build them bigger they had to go to the Pressure Suppression type containment otherwise the containment would have had to be 8 times larger than a similar PWR Containment. Given a PWR containment is about 2.5 to 3.0 Million Cubic feet...

The PWR world went with the large freestanding containments AND the infamous Ice Condenser. I'm STILL shaking my head on how they came up with that solution. I work at an Ice Condenser Plant.

Mike

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2007, 05:55 »
Mitsubishi new design is noteworthy. Comanche Peak is buying? 2 of them.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Fermi2

« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2007, 05:58 »
Mitsubishi new design is noteworthy. Comanche Peak is buying? 2 of them.

Maybe, the NRC hasn't certified the design yet and say it won't be for quite some time.

Mike

deaztrailnutz

« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2007, 07:39 »
Allis And Chambers used a dedicated steam drum. All the first generation BWRs used Smaller versions of PWR Containments. When GE started to build them bigger they had to go to the Pressure Suppression type containment otherwise the containment would have had to be 8 times larger than a similar PWR Containment. Given a PWR containment is about 2.5 to 3.0 Million Cubic feet...

The PWR world went with the large freestanding containments AND the infamous Ice Condenser. I'm STILL shaking my head on how they came up with that solution. I work at an Ice Condenser Plant.

Mike
How does an ice condenser work?  I hear alot of bruh-ha-ha over them

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2007, 12:04 »
Containments have to contain a projected pressure surge from steam release in an accident this can be done through the volume of the containment. The volume can be reduced by operating in a subatmospheric pressure or by using a heat sink to condense the steam. The ice condensor is essentially a compartment isolated from the rest of the volume of the containment that is inside the pressure vessel with blowout panels to allow stem to enter the chamber full of crushed ice during an accident.

Fermi2

« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2007, 07:59 »
If y'all want a slightly more detailed version I'd be happy to provide it without a huge amount of Technospeak. The one thing Marlin said, about it being crushed ice is true and makes sense but when I first saw it I was amazed. I initially thought Ice Condensers were huge blocks of ice.

Mike

deaztrailnutz

« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2007, 10:52 »
How much ice is required for plants like McGuire or Cook?  How is the ice maintained & stored?

Offline Limited Quanity

• Moderate User
  • Don't worry about the mule just load the wagon!
« Reply #95 on: May 07, 2007, 06:09 »
If y'all want a slightly more detailed version I'd be happy to provide it without a huge amount of Technospeak. The one thing Marlin said, about it being crushed ice is true and makes sense but when I first saw it I was amazed. I initially thought Ice Condensers were huge blocks of ice.

Mike

Hey ain't nothing like walking into a 15 deg F freezer, spending 15 min. (shiver)  :D walking on top of >2.4 million lbs of ice for a survey, checking doors, or AHU's, and then walking back into the real world at 90+ deg.  Takes a few minutes for your safety glasses to unfog, huh!  Gotta be careful!
I used to be a lifeguard until some blue kid got me fired.

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #96 on: May 07, 2007, 07:05 »
How does an ice condenser work?  I hear alot of bruh-ha-ha over them

Wouldn't this be "off-topic" for "Best New Reactor Designs"? Not to be a stickler here, but ice condensers have less future than Edsels...
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Fermi2

« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2007, 07:59 »
Wouldn't this be "off-topic" for "Best New Reactor Designs"? Not to be a stickler here, but ice condensers have less future than Edsels...

TECHNICALLY Ice Condensers have a brighter future at least near term than any new type of containment. I dare say the next nuke licensed in this country will be an Ice Condenser Plant. Just a hunch though.

Mike
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 08:00 by Broadzilla »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2007, 08:48 »
The PWR world went with the large freestanding containments AND the infamous Ice Condenser. I'm STILL shaking my head on how they came up with that solution.

According to the tales of yore (many moons ago...) the ice condenser plant was developed to reduce containment volume to enable the construction of Atlantic 1 & 2 which were designed to float... yes, I said float. They were envisioned to be able to respond to power shoratges up and down the Atlantic coast and 'plug in' to any city that needed the power. Gotta love the ideas that people came up with.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2007, 09:29 »
yes, I said float. They were envisioned to be able to respond to power shoratges up and down the Atlantic coast and 'plug in' to any city that needed the power. Gotta love the ideas that people came up with.

Guess that explains the current emphasis on "fitness for duty". Definitely a smokey haze in that room...  ;D

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?