Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Best New Reactor Design

Author Topic: Best New Reactor Design  (Read 97139 times)

Offline Limited Quanity

• Moderate User
  • Don't worry about the mule just load the wagon!
Re: Best New Reactor Design
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2007, 08:05 »

TECHNICALLY Ice Condensers have a brighter future at least near term than any new type of containment. I dare say the next nuke licensed in this country will be an Ice Condenser Plant. Just a hunch though.

Mike

I say we're just waiting on the new checkbook to come in starting this next fiscal year.  Just told the $20 mil. is just about gone.  Most walkdown personnel and support groups will be gone at the end of the month.  Then we sit and wait....
I used to be a lifeguard until some blue kid got me fired.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2007, 10:04 »

TECHNICALLY Ice Condensers have a brighter future at least near term than any new type of containment. I dare say the next nuke licensed in this country will be an Ice Condenser Plant. Just a hunch though.

Mike

So Watts Bar is an ice condenser plant, huh?
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Fermi2

« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2007, 10:30 »
So are Sequoyah, McGuire and Catawba.

Mike

Offline Limited Quanity

• Moderate User
  • Don't worry about the mule just load the wagon!
« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2007, 11:07 »
So are Sequoyah, McGuire and Catawba.

Mike

So is DC Cook.
I used to be a lifeguard until some blue kid got me fired.

Fermi2

« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2007, 11:10 »
Yeah DC Cook was almost the death of Ice Plants everywhere!

Mike

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #105 on: May 09, 2007, 08:33 »
So Watts Bar is an ice condenser plant, huh?

My bet is that WBN2 is the last of the breed. Talk about penny-wise and pound foolish. Tons of money for ice for the life of the plant versus constructing a larger containment initially.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2007, 12:44 »
The ICC was conceived of for Atlantic 1 & 2 which were floaters - but not mobile, i.e., plug into any city (that was another concept - similar to MH1A, but using the ICC).  Atlantic 1 & 2 were to be off-shore, adjacient to and accessed through the Salem Hope Creek complex, because there simply wasn't enough space to build another two units at the site. Those units went away along with Hope Creek 2.
The sales pitch concept was that after 10 yrs of operation you added water to replace the ice weight lost through sublimation.  At 20 years you refilled!
Concept Circle-Bar - Proven Wrong - as anyone familiar with the IC plants knows!  But Circle-Bar had enough marketing skill to convince land based Utilities that they would work for low profile containments that would be acceptable to the public.
If TVA decides to go forward with WB-2, then Mike is right an ICC will be the next plant to come on line.  But, as for the next generation of plants, the AP-1000 would be a safe bet since it is the only one approved right now.

Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2007, 08:31 »
As I heard the story 100 years ago, Atlantic 1 & 2 found a home at Salem after someone ran out of good drugs long enough to figure out that the concept of moving them was absurd. Then they became 'fixed'. Artificial Island was originally designed for 12 nuclear plants and when I was first there they were still talking like they were all going to be built.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #108 on: May 17, 2007, 12:47 »
Correct - Except that 1 & 2 actually went the route of CPs. 3 -12 never got past the drawing board, along with Atlantic 13 - 24 and STP 3 - 8.
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #109 on: Apr 13, 2011, 02:14 »
In reference to ice condensers...

So how do you keep these large chunks of ice from melting? I am imagining some pretty robust refrigeration machines. Also, when is the ice changed out? Is this a refueling outage project or is there some sort of engineered system to allow change at power or reduced power?

Fermi2

« Reply #110 on: Apr 13, 2011, 04:11 »
The reactor and SG and Pzr are either inside a wall called the Polar Crane wall or are inside enclosures.

The Ice Condenser is insulated from the heat sources. It has Doors that open into the Lower Containment where the RCS and Piping is. The ice itself is in 1944 12 foot tall baskets. The baskets are lattice in construction. These baskets are stacked 4 high in a 300 degree arc inside containment. The ice itself is like a snow cone. The ice is made by Ice machines outside containment. Essentially borated water is sprayed onto a barrel and the ice is knocked off the barrel and blown via elephant trunk into the baskets. There's well over 2.5 million pounds of ice in the ice condenser. The Ice Basket area is called Lower Ice
Above the Ice Baskets are the Intermediate Doors, then a plenum then the upper doors. This area is called Upper Ice. In this area are a lot of Airhandling Units. These units have ductwork going to the bottom of lower ice. There is a Glycol System outside containment consisting of Pumps and chillers. These lower glycol temperature to about 5F, then pump the glycol to the Air handlers to keep the Ice Condenser below 27F. The optimum level is 18-20F to minimize sublimation. The Air Handlers and Chillers and pumps are Non Safety Related. Post accident the pipes penetrating containment isolate. We also keep the ice borated to 2500-2700 PPM and at a PH of about 9 to 9.5. The  borated ice is to ensure Ice melt cannot dilute water coming in via the ECCS. The PH is to scrub Iodine. Ice Plants have an Upper and Lower containment that are sealed from each other.

Below the stacks of ice baskets are flow distributors that turn the steam from a LOCA up into the Ice Condenser.
1: Loca Happens
2: Lower Ice Doors Open
3: Steam is turned upwards into the ice baskets.
4: Steam flows through Ice Baskets, blows open the Intermediate Doors (Which are directly above the baskets)
5: Upper Doors blow open whatever is left blows into upper containment. Condensed water is directed back to lower containment via pipes.
6: Ice is designed to last about 60 minutes.
7: 10 Minutes after the accident starts Containment Air Return Fans start to blow any air and non condensables back into lower containment.

In answer to your other questions:

1: No if possible we never let the Ice Condenser above 27F even in outages. (about 29 is the max I've seen during an outage)
2: During outages they weigh a sample of Ice Baskets to ensure they are within Tech Spec Values, we also take core samples and boron samples.
3: The only work online inside containment is on the Air Handling Units and inspections to ensure the doors are not iced shut.

There is also a glycol system to cool the floor of the ice condenser down so the floor doesn't buckle. DC Cooks floor buckled because they didn't pay good attention to this system.

During outages, at least at SQN the Ice Condenser is a clean area in spots. Also it's weird seeing guys going into containment in coats for Ice Condenser entries.

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #111 on: Apr 13, 2011, 04:30 »
Thanks for that knowledge.

Follow up: Is all the Ice Machine system considered Tech-Spec like an ECCS train/component? You mentioned tech spec related samples, but I was wondering if everything associated with the Ice Condenser is tech spec?

If it is, I am wondering why was the Ice Condenser design chosen over just building a bigger/thicker containment?

Edit: I re-read BZ post and see the chillers, glycol pumps and air handlers are not safety related. Does that mean they are not tech spec. If they are not safety-related, then what operation limits exist if you lose your snow cone machine?

« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2011, 04:44 by Smooth Operator »

Fermi2

« Reply #112 on: Apr 13, 2011, 04:44 »
The Doors, Ice, Ice Baskets, and Ice Temperature Measuring system are TS. The Glycol, AHU, Chillers, and Pumps are not.
The containment isolation valves for the glycol piping are TS.
The hatches between upper and lower containment are TS.
Containment Air Return Fans are TS
The drain between Upper Containment and lower is TS .
Upper and lower containment have different Max Temperatures and oddly a lower temperature limit too.

Simple: An effort to build a smaller containment vessel that can withstand a lower pressure. Ice Containment Design limit is 12 # ie save money

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #113 on: Apr 13, 2011, 04:47 »
I am wondering if over a 30 year license, the cost to maintain the ice condenser will be greater than the build cost of a bigger containment and its maintenence?

Fermi2

« Reply #114 on: Apr 13, 2011, 04:48 »
No idea! I guess someone figured it is though in truth Ice Condensers are a Pain in the butt!

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #115 on: Apr 13, 2011, 04:56 »
No idea! I guess someone figured it is though in truth Ice Condensers are a Pain in the butt!

I found the pain in my head, which I kept hitting on too-low hanging objects, and my back which I hurt trying st squeeze around in all the too-cramped spaces.

The whole thing was a pain in the ice.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Fermi2

« Reply #116 on: Apr 13, 2011, 05:02 »
I found the pain in my head, which I kept hitting on too-low hanging objects, and my back which I hurt trying st squeeze around in all the too-cramped spaces.

LOL.

When you're the guy who has to evaluate the Condition reports for "We dropped this into lower ice and can't find it" or this ice basket is stuck so we're justifying weighing another, OR his ice basket is too light but the average weight of the others is higher than needed plus we believe it won't create an unanalyzed flow channel due to early melt.... well you'll know why I hate the dang thing.

Plus lets face it, usually the chillers and pumps aren't in the greatest shape and are most likely to fail in the hottest week of summer.

Cool concept though.

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #117 on: Apr 13, 2011, 09:11 »
When you're the guy who has to evaluate the Condition reports for "We dropped this into lower ice and can't find it" or this ice basket is stuck so we're justifying weighing another, OR his ice basket is too light but the average weight of the others is higher than needed plus we believe it won't create an unanalyzed flow channel due to early melt.... well you'll know why I hate the dang thing.
Plus lets face it, usually the chillers and pumps aren't in the greatest shape and are most likely to fail in the hottest week of summer.
Cool concept though.

BTDT

The sales pitch sales pitch concept was that after 10 yrs of operation you added water to replace the ice weight lost through sublimation.  At 20 years you refilled!
Concept Circle-Bar - Proven Wrong - as anyone familiar with the IC plants knows!  But Circle-Bar had enough marketing skill to convince land based Utilities that they would work for low profile containments that would be acceptable to the public.

Every outage means IC work.

Pre TMI mods you could walk  like a normal person , unfortunately the folks they hired (at least for MNS & CNS had no concept of accessability.  Just over support!

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #118 on: Oct 09, 2012, 03:00 »
The Pebble Bed reactor made a big splash for a while and South Africa at one time intended to build one. Lately there has not been much noise about it, has it gone by the wayside?

Scheduled for 2013,....

New date: 2015,.....

http://nextbigfuture.com/2011/03/china-210-mwe-pebble-bed-reactor-starts.html

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline alasfreedom

• Very Lite User
« Reply #119 on: Jan 27, 2013, 10:12 »
Hello All!

My first time posting.  Need help from some experts - Working on a class presentation for a Rad Protection class.  I have had the (dis)pleasure of working as an Ice Tech. @ CNS.  Want to use it as a topic for my presentation...but, don't know a lot about the technical working.  Who wants to volunteer to be a subject matter expert or point me in the direction of one said person?

Much appreciation.

You never know who you might be offending.  Keep to the golden rule.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #120 on: Jan 27, 2013, 10:41 »
Hello All!

My first time posting.  Need help from some experts - Working on a class presentation for a Rad Protection class.  I have had the (dis)pleasure of working as an Ice Tech. @ CNS.  Want to use it as a topic for my presentation...but, don't know a lot about the technical working.  Who wants to volunteer to be a subject matter expert or point me in the direction of one said person?

Much appreciation.

So....

1. You don't appreciate the opportunity to work inside a nuclear power plant.

2. You didn't learn much while you were there

3. You want us to do your homework for ya.

Did I miss anything?  :P

Offline alasfreedom

• Very Lite User
« Reply #121 on: Jan 27, 2013, 10:48 »
Wow, Rude.

1. No, I appreciated working in a nuc power plant (am a Nuc Med tech...and going on 40...., worked upper & lower ICE just shy of three weeks back on a severely broken ankle, which contain(-s, -ed) 2 plates & 12 screws.  Not once complained about how bad my ankle hurt in steel toes in the cold conditions).

2.  Learned a lot while I was there, but was too busy working in arctic cold temps with a wet butt, hair, and fogged-up safety glasses to take notes on my wet-boronated-water-mixed-with-a-little-glycol-notebook.

3.  Not interested in a hand-out.  A hand-up or a hand would be nice.

And, YES, you missed something.  A lesson for you.  Don't make assumptions (with or without the addition of a smiley face- seems a little passive aggressive.)
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2013, 11:03 by alasfreedom »
You never know who you might be offending.  Keep to the golden rule.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #122 on: Jan 28, 2013, 10:01 »
Wow, Rude.

Strong comeback, you'll be fine here,...

Except:

....Not once complained about how bad my ankle hurt in steel toes in the cold conditions).....

You've complained now,...

To the entire world wide web,... [coffee]
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2013, 10:02 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #123 on: Jan 31, 2013, 09:59 »

I appreciate the atta' boy. 

Your welcome,...

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #124 on: Feb 08, 2013, 03:22 »
1. You don't appreciate the opportunity to work inside a nuclear power plant.
Wow, Rude.

Apparently Dave has never been an 'Ice Monkey', or he would have understood the Dis-Pleasure.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?