Hanford

Above Average
12 (27.3%)
Average
11 (25%)
Below Average
21 (47.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Hanford  (Read 264548 times)

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
Re: Hanford 500
« Reply #175 on: Apr 20, 2011, 12:09 »
Tri-Cities does have the worst drivers Ive ever seen.....and I do pass people on the right if they are driving in the left lane for no reason, but I do not tailgate people (like i said...I made that up as I dont like rock chips on my brand new truck....and I was in the mood to get people fired up)  I did pass 48 cars one day on my way to work....all in the right lane....all going 65 mph (in a 60 mph zone)  That is quite sad that there is that many people who have no idea the proper lane to be driving in.....so sad that it has actually caused me to count.
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2011, 12:10 by Bonds 25 »
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

MacGyver

« Reply #176 on: Apr 20, 2011, 12:28 »
Ohhhh....for the record the whole tailgating story isnt true (afraid of rock chips)  I guess I forgot to mention that.....I am however quite impressed how VERY easy it is to get people fired up on here.

Tri-Cities does have the worst drivers Ive ever seen.....and I do pass people on the right if they are driving in the left lane for no reason, but I do not tailgate people (like i said...I made that up as I dont like rock chips on my brand new truck....and I was in the mood to get people fired up)  I did pass 48 cars one day on my way to work....all in the right lane....all going 65 mph (in a 60 mph zone)  That is quite sad that there is that many people who have no idea the proper lane to be driving in.....so sad that it has actually caused me to count.

So let me get this straight.....Im the one thats the problemPassing cars on the right going 65 mph is wrong.....not the people who are driving strictly in the left lane going 55-60 mph (while holding up trafic and not PASSING ANYBODY!!)  Also....I do have 31 years left....we actually make electricity where I work.   And Kool-Aid?....LOL Im 34 years old. Not a bad attempt at trying to belittle me however. 

Hmmmmmmm, really, I guess you're the expert on getting 'people' fired up, eh?

Both are illegal.
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2011, 12:29 by MacGyver »

MacGyver

« Reply #177 on: Apr 20, 2011, 12:36 »
Anyone that counts the number of cars they illegally pass on the way to work has a little problem. And put down the Kool-Aid, pal, I'll let you in on a little secret. You Ready? You don't have 31 years left out there. The fat lady is starting to sing.

So let me get this straight.....Im the one thats the problem.  Passing cars on the right going 65 mph is wrong.....not the people who are driving strictly in the left lane going 55-60 mph (while holding up trafic and not PASSING ANYBODY!!)  Also....I do have 31 years left....we actually make electricity where I work.   And Kool-Aid?....LOL Im 34 years old. Not a bad attempt at trying to belittle me however. 

In case you missed the snowman's meaning, let me help you out.  He (i.e. SnowMan) means, with your current driving style, will not live long enough for you to enjoy 31+ years till retirement.

You'll see as you get older.  You will slow down or get slowed down.  Most of us learned from others mistakes so we wouldn't have to make them ourselves.  You could say, learn from the OE or become the OE.

Peace.

Offline 105KW

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #178 on: Apr 20, 2011, 12:47 »
Glad he turns off at Woops..Uh I mean Columbia Generating Staion...Just makes the drive safer for us  ;D

nukewood

« Reply #179 on: Apr 20, 2011, 05:10 »
It has been my experience that passing on the way to work at Hanford in either the right lane or the left might net you a savings of 1-2 minutes by the time you get to Kbasin. Is it really worth it?
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2011, 01:31 by nukewood »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #180 on: Apr 20, 2011, 07:12 »
It has been my experience that passing on the way to work at Hanford in either the right lane or the left might net you a savings of 1-2 minutes by the time you get to Kbasin. Is it really worth it
/

Please stop trying to inject logic into an emotionally charged subject... the morons don't listen because they think it doesn't apply to them, so you only succeed in inconveniencing billions of  electrons needlessly.

Thank you.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

MacGyver

« Reply #181 on: Apr 21, 2011, 07:32 »
Also.....when I ride to work with my Girlfriend and she is consistently "flying by" vehicles on the right....while going 62 MPH something is wrong.  Im not talking about people going under the speed limit in the right lane (some believe 60 mph is too fast)  My problem is the population of drivers that strictly drive in the "passing lane" no matter WHAT speed they are going.

Hey Bonds ... I was able to recover some video from the traffic camera's of you and your girlfriends driving.  RaceY!   :P ;)  :o ;)

« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2011, 07:26 by MacGyver »

Offline Protectologist

• Gold Member
« Reply #182 on: Apr 21, 2011, 08:45 »
Since the tribe of Morons and the tribe of Idiots are sending out their war parties I've decided to be the one to leave a few minutes earlier to avoid the battle. I did notice a few scouts out ahead of the main group but other than that I had a peaceful drive to work this morning.

Offline turkeypoint1967

• Light User
« Reply #183 on: Apr 21, 2011, 11:52 »
As did I.  There is a white ford dually and a black ford pickup that I havent seen all week which makes me happy.

Offline Maverick

• Very Lite User
« Reply #184 on: Apr 21, 2011, 12:26 »
I typically drive up to 5 miles/hr over the posted speed.  I try to stay out of these crazies path but that doesn't always work; they blaze by me honking and flippiing me the "bird"; like I really care what crazy people think.  They are the problem and their need to speed is their issue, not mine.

Offline Radiationman85

• Light User
quess on the union number being laid off???
« Reply #185 on: Apr 21, 2011, 02:10 »
Whats your best guess or rumour on HPT/RCT numbers for lay off?
We have 674 house techs and 82 contract techs.

I am hearing and guessing myself we will be laying off all contract techs (82) and going down to 500 house. Giving a grand total of 256 being laid off.

Thoughts?

Offline turkeypoint1967

• Light User
Re: quess on the union number being laid off???
« Reply #186 on: Apr 21, 2011, 04:36 »
We have heard numbers all over the board. I imagine what you said will be close, however I am not sure it will be that high.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #187 on: Apr 21, 2011, 05:23 »
And you think you have it tough... check out this parking job.

http://www.wimp.com/somewhererussia/
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Radiationman85

• Light User
« Reply #188 on: Apr 21, 2011, 06:54 »
High as in 500 being kept or 256 high being laid off?

???

MacGyver

« Reply #189 on: Apr 22, 2011, 07:41 »
And you think you have it tough... check out this parking job.

http://www.wimp.com/somewhererussia/

That is impressive .. !?!?! ..  ;) :o :P ;D :o ;) [quit]

Offline namlive

• Moderate User
« Reply #190 on: Apr 22, 2011, 08:26 »
At the SRS layoff in Feb. our management of high integrity told us that RadCon would lose 25% or 50 plus people. When the smoked cleared we had lost 4 and according to "the talk" 3 were absentee problems and one was on triple final commitment. They deliberately put the word out that the layoffs would be high, I guess so when 680 people left, we could sigh and say, "That wasn't so bad." I am convinced that the new owners conducting the layoffs are clueless as to what the site does. They are too busy flaunting their wealth on MTV teen cribs. (Season 1 episode 12). Now the next layoff has been cut back to 500 people tops. If they lay off 50 radcon I will go and I won't be too sad, that is if they still plan on using the seniority roster. They want to get rid of it to rid themselves of the unnamed "loafers at the top."

Don't believe half of what they say.
No one gets out alive.

Offline Protectologist

• Gold Member
« Reply #191 on: Apr 24, 2011, 02:00 »
The number I'm hearing is that one third will be laid off at Hanford. That would bring the number of techs down to 500. But one third is the total number of staff reduced and RP may not get hit as hard or may get hit harder. We are repeatedly told that everyone is "safe" until 9/30. And no one is safe after that. I'm hearing from a lot of "exempts" that they are worried about their jobs too.

Offline 105KW

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #192 on: May 02, 2011, 04:10 »
Whats your best guess or rumour on HPT/RCT numbers for lay off?
We have 674 house techs and 82 contract techs.

I am hearing and guessing myself we will be laying off all contract techs (82) and going down to 500 house. Giving a grand total of 256 being laid off.

Thoughts?

If I was a betting man ( and I am ) that is a pretty good guess. Historically the last 10 years the house numbers have stayed around 500 +- 8. I think you will see  WRPS ( tank farms ) maintain it's headcount as they have an increased budget, while CHG ( PFP and the Canyons, Solid waste, Ground water ) will loose  head count (techs). MSA techs I think are stable and doubt any will shift.  WCH has increased their temp head count ( I suspect to prepare for the bump and roll ) and when everything is said and done 500 sounds like a good number.  But hey, my opionion and a a buck might get you a cup of coffee at costco  ::)

105KW :P

BTW...The current numbers today are 659 House and 88 temps if the list is correct.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #193 on: May 09, 2011, 06:13 »

It isn't the left lane.  Its proper name is the "passing lane".  Not the "fast lane" or the "speeding lane".  The "passing lane" is the correct term.  You have no right to demand it, and you have no right to be in it unless you are passing.  Lane ownership issues are a big deal.  And, by violating it you are endangering the rest of us on the road.

I am not advocating hogging the "passing lane" if you are not passing.  But, as TnTplayer has stated, it is a speed "limit".  Thusly, if you don't know what that means please look at a dictionary.  Otherwise stop getting mad at those that obey the law when passing in the "passing lane".

I have been trying to keep my mouth shut, 'cuz I really don't have a dog in this fight...I'm going home from nightshift while y'all are jockeying for pole position...

BUT, I have to say it:

Have you thought about the possible outcomes when you play that sanctimonious 'I'm-the-good-guy-because-I-follow-the-speed-limit-in-the-passing-lane' card?

Outcome 1:  You are doing a good thing by slowing that unsafe speeder down?

OR

Outcome 2:  You are causing road rage in someone who may already have issues?  Road rage which may not affect you, but may cause an accident further down the road...

I don't know about everyone else, but I'd rather stay in the slow lane, even if I'm stuck behind someone going 57, and not tick anyone off...rather than go 60 in fast lane and cause someone in a hurry to drive even crazier.

Full Disclosure:  I reserve the right (subject to such fines as the judicial system chooses to levee) to go 10mph over the  speed 'limit' (it's really just a guideline...if you are willing to pay the fines) on those rare occasions when I am running late...or when I need to pass someone in the slow lane in a timely manner.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 06:23 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline tolstoy

• Moderate User
« Reply #194 on: May 09, 2011, 12:21 »
Just a nit-pickin' point but I don't see how my obeying the law (driving the speed limit) should make me responsible for any of the ridiculously bad driving or behavior that I see just about every day.

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
« Reply #195 on: May 09, 2011, 12:32 »
I have been trying to keep my mouth shut, 'cuz I really don't have a dog in this fight...I'm going home from nightshift while y'all are jockeying for pole position...

BUT, I have to say it:

Have you thought about the possible outcomes when you play that sanctimonious 'I'm-the-good-guy-because-I-follow-the-speed-limit-in-the-passing-lane' card?

Outcome 1:  You are doing a good thing by slowing that unsafe speeder down?

OR

Outcome 2:  You are causing road rage in someone who may already have issues?  Road rage which may not affect you, but may cause an accident further down the road...

I don't know about everyone else, but I'd rather stay in the slow lane, even if I'm stuck behind someone going 57, and not tick anyone off...rather than go 60 in fast lane and cause someone in a hurry to drive even crazier.

Full Disclosure:  I reserve the right (subject to such fines as the judicial system chooses to levee) to go 10mph over the  speed 'limit' (it's really just a guideline...if you are willing to pay the fines) on those rare occasions when I am running late...or when I need to pass someone in the slow lane in a timely manner.  ;)

Finally some sense!....
Thank you UB!!!

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
« Reply #196 on: May 09, 2011, 12:33 »
Just a nit-pickin' point but I don't see how my obeying the law (driving the speed limit) should make me responsible for any of the ridiculously bad driving or behavior that I see just about every day.

Do it on the correct side of the road & there shouldnt be any worries.

MacGyver

« Reply #197 on: May 09, 2011, 12:35 »

I find it odd you "rationalize" behavior.  But, they have research on this very topic.

Drivers blame everyone else for bad driving

So you think you're a good driver
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 12:36 by MacGyver »

Offline tolstoy

• Moderate User
« Reply #198 on: May 09, 2011, 03:03 »
Righto. Good to know that I should lock my car if I  park next to yours lest I 'cause' you to swipe my stereo!  ;)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #199 on: May 09, 2011, 07:17 »

You are right...it should NOT make you responsible -in a 'logical' kind of way. 

Unfortunately, we are dealing with the emotions of someone (probably less stable than you) who is already in a hurry and isn't going to make a calm decision about you blocking them.

So, please be the extra-civilized person who keeps us all safe by NOT pushing the speeder into road rage.  Thanks!  :)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?