Hanford

Above Average
12 (27.3%)
Average
11 (25%)
Below Average
21 (47.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Hanford  (Read 264529 times)

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Re: Hanford Union
« Reply #150 on: Feb 24, 2011, 10:03 »
What you propose is known as the Beck Decision.  The US Supreme Court issued it in the case of CWA vs. Beck.

You can read more about it here: 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communications_Workers_of_America_v._Beck
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline pringles can

• Light User
« Reply #151 on: Feb 27, 2011, 03:52 »
Despite not being "in Kansas anymore", or in a perfect world, companies are in business in order to make a profit.  I know that many companies treat employees less than desirably, but it is their right to do so.  I’m not saying that is its right, but it is their right.  Unions are needed, absolutely.  My contract and work atmosphere are better because of them for sure.  At what cost though?  Unions are a big reason that many aspects of industry in the United States has fled to other countries.  Is it worth bankrupting a state over a few points on your benefits?  We must allow capitalism and competition back into industry, or our economy will never be what it could be.

Sun Dog

« Reply #152 on: Feb 27, 2011, 06:51 »
Despite not being "in Kansas anymore", or in a perfect world, companies are in business in order to make a profit.  I know that many companies treat employees less than desirably, but it is their right to do so.  I’m not saying that is its right, but it is their right.  Unions are needed, absolutely.  My contract and work atmosphere are better because of them for sure.  At what cost though?  Unions are a big reason that many aspects of industry in the United States has fled to other countries.  Is it worth bankrupting a state over a few points on your benefits?  We must allow capitalism and competition back into industry, or our economy will never be what it could be.

Be careful straddling the fence.  You could be injured.

Offline 105KW

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #153 on: Mar 01, 2011, 03:03 »
What you propose is known as the Beck Decision.  The US Supreme Court issued it in the case of CWA vs. Beck.

You can read more about it here: 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communications_Workers_of_America_v._Beck

You make a good point.  I am pretty sure most here at the site do not realize that at the end of every year the worker can request a  partial refund of the dues that was paid to the union.  ;)

105KW

reckingballc

« Reply #154 on: Mar 01, 2011, 06:48 »
Are you sure Steven? I didn't think that the "brotherhood" that is HAMTC would ever do such a thing. Thats like saying Obama is more qualified than Sarah Palin.

Larry7crys

Re: Upcoming Hanford Site Layoffs
« Reply #155 on: Mar 01, 2011, 09:19 »
My current guess is that all the contractors go first (about 100 or so) and then an additional 200 layoffs from CHPRC which means that I'm probably going to get bumped as a house tech. It's been quite the ride and I would have loved to stay for another year. Maybe the road life is calling my name?

Offline 105KW

• Moderate User
« Reply #156 on: Mar 02, 2011, 09:23 »
Are you sure Steven? I didn't think that the "brotherhood" that is HAMTC would ever do such a thing. Thats like saying Obama is more qualified than Sarah Palin.

They don't have much to say about it and they don't like it.  We only have a few agency fee members and I'm not recommending it, but the option is there.  For more info speak with the union secretary down at the hall

drayer54

« Reply #157 on: Mar 04, 2011, 07:52 »
I too work with many competant and good people. There is, however, another half of my coworkers who dont care, take every opportunity to complain or get out of work, and then hide behind the union.  Coming from where I do, I apprectiate that this job allows us to live a fairly comfortable life, but it does get old watching the same people day in and day out do nothing and collect the same amount of money as the rest of us. 

you must be active duty?  ;)

Offline turkeypoint1967

• Light User
Re: Hanford 500
« Reply #158 on: Apr 17, 2011, 08:02 »
The drive has gotten pretty nerve racking.  I dont understand the reason people are in such a hurry to get somewhere to do crosswords.  I have noticed in my limited time on site that there are a few frequent offenders, mostly on the river roads, etc.  Two or three inpeticular that are going to cause an accident.

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #159 on: Apr 17, 2011, 10:39 »
There is one thing for sure at Hanford and the Tri-Cities area in general. They are by far the worse drivers in the world. It is like being in London here. Every other place I have ever been at in the USA the left lane is a passing lane. Here it is a slow driving lane. The vast majority of drivers are in the left lane until they are 25 feet from a right hand lane exit. Then they are coming over to exit no matter who or what is in their way. I can agree about the fast drivers there also. But when it comes down to it: Lead, follow or get out of the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EXACTLY !!!  Ive been all over the USA and the Tri-Cities has BY FAR the WORST drivers I have ever seen.   You can bet.....if you are in the fast lane going 60 (OR 55 LIKE A LOT OF IDIOTS ARE DOING !!!)  in the 60 mph zone my truck is gonna be up on your back bumper.....and depending on my mood I may be laying on the horn.  Its simple.....get the over to the right.  I count how many cars I pass on the right everyday on my way to work.....the record is 48.  48 !!!!!
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Offline tntplayer

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #160 on: Apr 18, 2011, 02:09 »
Bonds...a speed limit is just that...a limit...not a suggestion.  Why can't eveyone just slow down a litle and enjoy :)

MacGyver

« Reply #161 on: Apr 18, 2011, 02:53 »
EXACTLY !!!  Ive been all over the USA and the Tri-Cities has BY FAR the WORST drivers I have ever seen.   You can bet.....if you are in the fast lane going 60 (OR 55 LIKE A LOT OF IDIOTS ARE DOING !!!)  in the 60 mph zone my truck is gonna be up on your back bumper.....and depending on my mood I may be laying on the horn.  Its simple.....get the over to the right.  I count how many cars I pass on the right everyday on my way to work.....the record is 48.  48 !!!!!

[soap]

The title of my rant is, Only in America!

Let us begin with some simple concepts / terms.  Shall we?

It isn't the left lane.  Its proper name is the "passing lane".  Not the "fast lane" or the "speeding lane".  The "passing lane" is the correct term.  You have no right to demand it, and you have no right to be in it unless you are passing.  Lane ownership issues are a big deal.  And, by violating it you are endangering the rest of us on the road.

I am not advocating hogging the "passing lane" if you are not passing.  But, as TnTplayer has stated, it is a speed "limit".  Thusly, if you don't know what that means please look at a dictionary.  Otherwise stop getting mad at those that obey the law when passing in the "passing lane".

And, for goodness sake, don't tailgate to get your point across.  The only idiots on the road are the "Tailgater's".  You don't own any lane.  You share the lanes (with other drivers).  If you don't care for Tri-Cities drivers I can assure you will not care for the rest of the US of A.  Because as far as I know everywhere I drive I met idiots in cars ..  ;) :-X :o ;)

Only in America can a poster complain about other people's "legal" (and "illegal") driving as "idiotic" when they admit they are driving "dangerously" and "erratically" (re: tailgating).  Only in America!

[2cents]

I too do not like those that don't have the intelligence to drive a car correctly.  I share your pain but I do not advocate driving dangerously to prove a point.  Not ever.  Everyone that is stupid has that right, given by GOD, and will continue to execute it regardless of your training methods to reverse it.
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2011, 02:55 by MacGyver »

Offline turkeypoint1967

• Light User
« Reply #162 on: Apr 18, 2011, 03:37 »
I am not opposed to speading, with in reason. But there is a big difference between speeding and what some of these size smallwhenyoushouldwearaxxlarg e safety orange shirt wearing brotheren are doing. Like i said, there are at least three vehicles that I see on an almost daily basis driving like a moron just to show off.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #163 on: Apr 18, 2011, 03:39 »
[soap]

The title of my rant is, Only in America!

Let us begin with some simple concepts / terms.  Shall we?

It isn't the left lane.  Its proper name is the "passing lane".  Not the "fast lane" or the "speeding lane".  The "passing lane" is the correct term.  You have no right to demand it, and you have no right to be in it unless you are passing.  Lane ownership issues are a big deal.  And, by violating it you are endangering the rest of us on the road.

I am not advocating hogging the "passing lane" if you are not passing.  But, as TnTplayer has stated, it is a speed "limit".  Thusly, if you don't know what that means please look at a dictionary.  Otherwise stop getting mad at those that obey the law when passing in the "passing lane".

And, for goodness sake, don't tailgate to get your point across.  The only idiots on the road are the "Tailgater's".  You don't own any lane.  You share the lanes (with other drivers).  If you don't care for Tri-Cities drivers I can assure you will not care for the rest of the US of A.  Because as far as I know everywhere I drive I met idiots in cars ..  ;) :-X :o ;)

Only in America can a poster complain about other people's "legal" (and "illegal") driving as "idiotic" when they admit they are driving "dangerously" and "erratically" (re: tailgating).  Only in America!

[2cents]

I too do not like those that don't have the intelligence to drive a car correctly.  I share your pain but I do not advocate driving dangerously to prove a point.  Not ever.  Everyone that is stupid has that right, given by GOD, and will continue to execute it regardless of your training methods to reverse it.

I will agree with most of what you say except the first and last lines. It is not only in America. As a matter of fact it is much worse in many places outside America. But that does not change the validity of the rest of your post.

To many people, anyone that drives faster than them is a moron and those that drive slower are idiots. Or is it the other way around? I forget...
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline snowman

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #164 on: Apr 19, 2011, 10:20 »
EXACTLY !!!  Ive been all over the USA and the Tri-Cities has BY FAR the WORST drivers I have ever seen.   You can bet.....if you are in the fast lane going 60 (OR 55 LIKE A LOT OF IDIOTS ARE DOING !!!)  in the 60 mph zone my truck is gonna be up on your back bumper.....and depending on my mood I may be laying on the horn.  Its simple.....get the over to the right.  I count how many cars I pass on the right everyday on my way to work.....the record is 48.  48 !!!!!
Why don't you leave the house 5 minutes earlier or better yet....just leave?

Offline turkeypoint1967

• Light User
« Reply #165 on: Apr 19, 2011, 06:14 »
I have to agree with Content 1.  I feel that it not the unions place to choose one side or the other using our dues.
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2011, 09:19 by Nuclear NASCAR »

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #166 on: Apr 20, 2011, 12:34 »
Why don't you leave the house 5 minutes earlier or better yet....just leave?

LOL !!!  Looks like I found a couple of the individuals I'm talking about.  If you are driving 58 mph in the "passing lane" in a 60 mph zone and dont see anything wrong with that, then you must be a total idiot (even if you are passing the other idiot going 55 mph)  Its not just on my way to work.....its EVERYWHERE !!!!  

Also....I WILL LEAVE !!! (in 31 years when I retire)
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2011, 12:36 by Bonds 25 »

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #167 on: Apr 20, 2011, 12:47 »
Also.....when I ride to work with my Girlfriend and she is consistently "flying by" vehicles on the right....while going 62 MPH something is wrong.  Im not talking about people going under the speed limit in the right lane (some believe 60 mph is too fast)  My problem is the population of drivers that strictly drive in the "passing lane" no matter WHAT speed they are going.

MacGyver

« Reply #168 on: Apr 20, 2011, 07:35 »
LOL !!!  Looks like I found a couple of the individuals I'm talking about.  If you are driving 58 mph in the "passing lane" in a 60 mph zone and dont see anything wrong with that, then you must be a total idiot (even if you are passing the other idiot going 55 mph)  Its not just on my way to work.....its EVERYWHERE !!!! 

This would indicate you are young'ster.  Good for you not to let our words get to you.   +K 

But,  -K for thinking you "own" a lane.  Yes, they should be in the "non-passing lane".  But, when passing they can pass at any speed they like.  And, they are required by law to do it slower than the "speed limit".  Your frustration is due to your late departure for work.  You are in a rush.  And, you should leave earilier and stop riding bumpers.  Because what you are complaining about is legal (re: passing at the speed limit in the passing lane).  What you are doing on the other hand is "careless and reckless" (i.e. dangerous).

Also.....when I ride to work with my Girlfriend and she is consistently "flying by" vehicles on the right....while going 62 MPH something is wrong.  Im not talking about people going under the speed limit in the right lane (some believe 60 mph is too fast)  My problem is the population of drivers that strictly drive in the "passing lane" no matter WHAT speed they are going.

Which is legal if they are passing.

[DH]
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2011, 07:36 by MacGyver »

Offline snowman

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #169 on: Apr 20, 2011, 10:25 »
LOL !!!  Looks like I found a couple of the individuals I'm talking about.  If you are driving 58 mph in the "passing lane" in a 60 mph zone and dont see anything wrong with that, then you must be a total idiot (even if you are passing the other idiot going 55 mph)  Its not just on my way to work.....its EVERYWHERE !!!!  

Anyone that counts the number of cars they illegally pass on the way to work has a little problem. And put down the Kool-Aid, pal, I'll let you in on a little secret. You Ready? You don't have 31 years left out there. The fat lady is starting to sing.

Offline 105KW

• Moderate User
« Reply #170 on: Apr 20, 2011, 10:40 »
Anyone that counts the number of cars they illegally pass on the way to work has a little problem. And put down the Kool-Aid, pal, I'll let you in on a little secret. You Ready? You don't have 31 years left out there. The fat lady is starting to sing.

Hope she holds that high note for about another 5 years anyways :-)...And the traffic will get better come late October when the Obama money is all gone.  Just everyone try to stay safe till then.

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #171 on: Apr 20, 2011, 11:40 »

So let me get this straight.....Im the one thats the problem.  Passing cars on the right going 65 mph is wrong.....not the people who are driving strictly in the left lane going 55-60 mph (while holding up trafic and not PASSING ANYBODY!!)  Also....I do have 31 years left....we actually make electricity where I work.   And Kool-Aid?....LOL Im 34 years old. Not a bad attempt at trying to belittle me however. 

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #172 on: Apr 20, 2011, 11:48 »
So let me get this straight.....Im the one thats the problem.  Passing cars on the right going 65 mph is wrong.....not the people who are driving strictly in the left lane going 55-60 mph (while holding up trafic and not PASSING ANYBODY!!)  Also....I do have 31 years left....we actually make electricity where I work.   And Kool-Aid?....LOL Im 34 years old. Not a bad attempt at trying to belittle me however. 

Luckily the Internet is forever, so when you rearend the car with the family inside and kill someone's kid, they can find your posts and your reckless disregard for the lives of others...

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #173 on: Apr 20, 2011, 11:58 »
Ohhhh....for the record the whole tailgating story isnt true (afraid of rock chips)  I guess I forgot to mention that.....I am however quite impressed how VERY easy it is to get people fired up on here.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #174 on: Apr 20, 2011, 12:01 »
Ohhhh....for the record the whole tailgating story isnt true (afraid of rock chips)  I guess I forgot to mention that.....I am however quite impressed how VERY easy it is to get people fired up on here.

We'll see what the jury will decide in the future, now won't we

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?