Hanford

Above Average
12 (27.3%)
Average
11 (25%)
Below Average
21 (47.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Hanford  (Read 264526 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Hanford
« on: Jan 28, 2003, 07:03 »
Don't forget to vote. Please keep it civil.

James Daniels has a furnished house very close to Hanford. He works at Hanford and has an empty furnished house less than 15 minutes from the project. Contact him at jeddan@worldnet.att.net

There are some nice places around near the site on the main drag in town. However, when it comes to Hanford, CLOSE=EXPENSIVE. To spend what you think is reasonable (under $1000/month), you probably should go to Pasco/Kennewick, or West Richland. Also, Richland will bore you to death.

Larry Hebert has a couple of rentals, at Hanford. He has one that is completely furnished including cable, for 225.00 a week. His number is 509-374-0377.

Try www.tri-cityhearald.com this the local newspaper.

Timbers Apartments at 1900 Stevens Drive. Their apartments start at about $400 per month. I have been relatively happy here, some children and dogs but lots of places are like that. It is 26 miles to the 200 area from here which is about as close as you can get. One thing about Richland, there seems to be a 20 day notification for move out.
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2007, 08:24 by Marlin »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Hanford
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2003, 07:17 »
Talk About: Hanford

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Hanford  
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2003, 07:21 »
Please reply to this topic if you have (or know who has) a contract at this facility.  If you (they) have multiple contracts (i.e. QC & NDE) please mention all of them.  Also, please remember to post company contact information, including but not limited to company phone number, email and web site address.  Also, if there is a specific person at the company people should ask for, you should mention their name and extension. We maintain a chart of contracts, the information posted here will be added to the contract chart.

This includes any information on Local Unions!
Chart: http://www.nukeworker.com/jobs/contract_lists
« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2005, 07:11 by Duke Nuker »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Hanford
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2003, 07:26 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.

stvyoung

Re: Hanford  
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2003, 04:31 »
One of the companies that provides QA/QC personnel on contract is Management Strategies Inc.  The individual is Dave Samples and his email is dlsamples@strategiesinc.com.
« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2005, 07:12 by Duke Nuker »

YungTech

Re: Rate Hanford
« Reply #5 on: Aug 04, 2003, 07:21 »
Ahhh the Lazy H wonderful place

wolf459

« Reply #6 on: Aug 04, 2003, 07:07 »
Ahhh the Lazy H wonderful place

You must work on the Flour side. [smiley=zzwhip.gif]

YungTech

« Reply #7 on: Aug 05, 2003, 06:38 »
Nope, on the Rechtel side ;D

Normguy

« Reply #8 on: Oct 01, 2003, 03:33 »
Hanford was a decent place to work 93-97, the money is good and enough techs to spread the work around ..Nobody is overworked at Hanford.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #9 on: Oct 01, 2003, 06:28 »
 Keep your comments civil.

I can NOT comment on Hanford if I have to keep it civil...but I will say it's the only job I've ever had where I was glad to get food poisoning so I didn't have to go to work.
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Martianman

• RadCon Tech
  • Very Lite User
  • Mars reigns! Resistance is futile!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 02, 2003, 08:35 »
Liked the people I worked with....came back home to Tennessee to be with my family. Okay, so now I'm ready to go back. Got a real soft spot for Rattlesnake Hill (Mountain...yeah right!)and the desert. Plus, who can't enjoy wind blowing dust at 800 mph into your face while surveying?  [smiley=uhh.gif] [smiley=uhh.gif]
"Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10

"Capture that Earth creature and bring back the Illudium Pu-36 explosive space modulator." Marvin the Martian

tmp21849

« Reply #11 on: Oct 02, 2003, 11:04 »
Hanford: Solving today's problems with yesterday's technology, tomorrow.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
Hanford
« Reply #12 on: Apr 08, 2004, 05:41 »
If anyone has a favorite hang out, place to shop, or local information for this area please post it here.

tmp21849

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2004, 06:54 »
To start with, the Columbia valley is full of winerys.
Some excellent vintages if one takes the time to look.
There are also a few brew pubs and one micro brewery, Ice Harbor Brewery by name.  The best IPA I've ever tried.
The Cascade mountain range is a short ( 3 hour) drive.  Lots of great little towns to check and the scenery is breath taking!  Another hour has you in Seattle with more to do there than you can shake a stick at.  Check any of the on line discounters for weekend hotel rates from one star all the way to five star accomodations.
Been here 5 years now and really enjoy the area.

ramdog_1

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2004, 12:08 »
the burbank tavern

futrknight

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2004, 12:59 »
Hanford is a very interesting place to work if you like chaos.

At this time it is a union site. There are many different facilities and projects types available to work.

The site is going from final stabalization to full scale D&D. As the main contract companies cannot hire enough technicians in house they are starting to bring in road contract techs and supervisors that are now supervising the "house Techs".

It is very much the same as they did at Rocky flats from what I have heard from some of the house techs who have come to work here from that site.

In the next 1.5 years the site faces a few things that could really make life here interesting. The long standing union contract the Hanford Atomic Metal Trades Commission has had with the main management companies is going to expire, the main management contract is up for rebid and the RCT Union contract as well as the other craft union contracts are all coming up for renegotiation.

With the excelerated cleanup instituted in 2001 those who have been here for  3 generations have found the uncertainty for the future to be a bit unsettling. Those of us road techs who came here for some stability have also found the ground a bit soft of late.

I have had to remind myself of the old saying, I was looking for a job when I found this one, to get my bvearings again. Back to the old way I guess.

This site also has a very large disadvantage. To get to work you have to drive anywhere from 1-1.5 hours over very desolate roads once you get out of Richland. Any of you who may have worked at Energy Northwest for outages has seen some of that.

Another issue is the fact that they work some very strange shifts.

The standard shift here is what they call an 8X9 shift. You work Monday through Thursday 9.5 hour days (no pay for Lunch) and every other Friday off. The Friday you work is 8.5 hours. You only put 4 hours of that on your time card and the other caries to your short time week.

Shifts are as follows.

P/Q 8X9 - Same as above but you rotate from Days one week to Swings the next.

ABCD - 12 hour rotaions with a day/night switch from one week to the next.

XYZ 5X8 - Day/Swing/Graves rotation from one week to the next.

There are 4X10 but this is not a recognized shift so only groups that can get the management on board and the union to aprove it get to work that one.

Benefits are not as good here as they are at other sites and the pay is quickly becoming, as I see from some of the contract offers on the various job boards, lower than the market. Especially when you factor in the cost of living and the local economy/ costs of transpotation to site and back. (Keep in mind, about the benefits & wages, I am speaking from the House/Union view) I do not know what the contract companies are offering.

Hope this helps.

Dan_E.

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2004, 01:12 »
 Neither house/union or contractor employers can fill their quota for techs. So if you don't like one you can always try the other.
 It still beats the road for 3 or 4 weeks at a stretch and back on the road again for some of us.

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2004, 02:09 »
Amen Brother! 

I'm sure at it's worst, it couldn't come close to the outages business of today!  At least there seems to be some structure to the opportunities.  Outages are a hit and miss thing, maybe you'll be there for a week, two, three or four!  Maybe they'll have the layoff slip waiting for you when you arrive!  With the new way of doing the outage business, your lucky to see a realistic take home of $10 and hour!  Do yourself a favor, sock in and take that money!

cef

« Reply #18 on: Jun 01, 2004, 07:30 »
Having been here at Hanford as a contactor working in the union for 8 Weeks its time to find somthing else.
Some info for others.
You will have to get your results back from your Pee test before you have the opertunity to take The DOE core test. You have to pass their core test, no others are eccepted. After you pass the core you can start getting paid.
OH! did I mention you only have one chance at the core. You have to make an 80 or you are still un employed and in Hanford.
The supervision I came in contact with was very good to work with.
The money for 40 hours is good.
All overtime is offered to the house techs first and they will go through the over time list as many times as it takes to make sure a road tech doesn't get the over time.
The 12 hour roating shift does not get pay for holidays unless you work that shift on the day of the holiday. I lost Memorial day.
As stated by others it's at least 1 hour each way of your time and gas.
Why am I leaving? I was recruited on the primiss of 10 to 20 hours a week overtime.
And it is not availeable due to the house techs drinking the well dry.
Would I come this far to work agine.
Heck Ya. I like it here.
But the money has to be here.
Have Trailer Will Travel!
FOR OT & DEIUM
Florida Boy

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #19 on: Jun 02, 2004, 04:36 »
Sounds like it pretty much panned out like I thought it would.  The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow must be a little further west.  From what I have been reading on the web, they pretty much staffed for a job that may not happen!  The early bail out may be in your favor.  If your looking for some quick change, try Badcocks Services.  They have a gig going in Texas for a few months and are looking for a couple of techs.  Some OT and Diem!  It will also get you half way home on travel!  Have a Great One!

ramdog_1

« Reply #20 on: Jun 18, 2004, 01:17 »
can not misss them
one in pasco, and there is another right outside of columbia center on the highway.
the one in pasco is on the way to richland up past road 68.
then there is one in columbia park as will

Offline Mike_Koehler

• Heavy User
  • I love nukeworker.com!!!!
« Reply #21 on: Jun 23, 2004, 11:21 »
Unfortunately  due to the vitrification plant construction most of the better RV spots are taken by construction folks... There is also another new RV park just  outside West Richland headed toward Benton City. Be aware that with boat races coming, RV spots in Tri-Cities get scarce. If you can't find one in town try  Benton City, Prosser, Sunnyside at least until the insanity that is July Dies down. I would be happy to chat on the phone with anyone who needs a little help finding their way. E-mail me here and I'll send phone #. 
"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented
  immigrant" is like calling a drug
  dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist."
unknown
"If you seal the borders and you stop giving federal benefits to people who are in the country illegally... many of them will simply go home."
Lou Barletta, Mayor of Hazelton, Pa.

studmeistersreveng

« Reply #22 on: Nov 30, 2004, 02:26 »
Just some FYI about Hanford.  If you are thinking about coming to Hanford the top rate for a Senior HPT is $28.97 an hour.  Do not let them offer you less.  Human Resources out here will try to offer you a step below the top rate, and tell you that you have to be here six months and pass the oral board before you can top out.  This isn't true!  You have to pass your oral board within 6 months of being hired on, regardless of what you are getting paid.  It has no reflection on your pay rate, so make sure you are getting top pay to start with.  If you are out here as a contractor and already a member of the union and thinking about switching over to house, you will get paid comprable to what you are making as a contractor.  To get top pay switching over from contractor to house it might actually be best to leave the plant for a couple of weeks and then come back in at top rate as house.  You will lose credit for your time at the plant, but will receive top pay.  They need techs out here and it is a good place to work.  Just watch yourself because the Human Resouces department likes to play games.

Offline tff986s

• hpt
  • Light User
  • work...> or party?!!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 22, 2004, 01:39 »
tight for employment cuz of the state passing a silly law trying to limit waste movements... it is back to federal law court now... [I-297 law]
science w/o religion is lame, religion w/o science is blind [a einstein]

Dan_E.

« Reply #24 on: Dec 23, 2004, 01:53 »
tight for employment cuz of the state passing a silly law trying to limit waste movements... it is back to federal law court now... [I-297 law]

The Eberline (Bechtel) side of Hanford is always looking for techs.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?