Kewaunee

Above Average
24 (63.2%)
Average
7 (18.4%)
Below Average
7 (18.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Kewaunee  (Read 88732 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Kewaunee
« on: Nov 30, 2002, 07:45 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: Kewaunee
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2002, 09:27 »
Talk About: Kewaunee

Offline Jill

• Senior HP, everybodies whippin' biach, the list goes on...
  • Light User
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2003, 08:23 »
;D   Kewaunee, now thats a fun place!  The people there were the best to work with, all the house people were very nice and went out of their way to teach you anything you wanted to know.  You don't find that at many places.  The BMOC (big man on campus, Craig Long) was really great to work for.  He even made us (the girls) sweatshirts that read "Dose Babes".  I miss all the house techs there. :(
The area was nice, I was 21 at the time and was blown away when I went to the bar and gave the bartender a dollar and he gave me 4 beers!  I knew if this outage went much longer there could be a problem!  

Offline Jill

• Senior HP, everybodies whippin' biach, the list goes on...
  • Light User
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2003, 08:27 »
;D  Oh, one more thing, and this is not meant as a slam or anything, but I remember when they brought in some local girls to help out in Dosimetry and we had to teach them how to do the job.  Westinghouse had just shown up on site and there was one girl that was still waiting for "Eddy Current" to show up!  She thought he was an actual person, Eddy Current.  I pee'd my pants! :D

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2003, 11:38 »
I worked Kewaunee's first outage in 1976 (my first outage, too) and the people were just great, in and out of the plant. Craig Long was a tech -- have the best story about him and some warm beer. Price of a draft went from 20 cents to a quarter while I was there and the owner of the bar was just about crying because he had to raise the price. Loved that place.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

kwicslvr

« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2003, 09:41 »
If any one knows Kevin Sines that works there tell him he's a bum for me ;D

Garrett

slattmandu

« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2003, 01:08 »
My personal favorite plant to work. The house techs are great to work with and for. Radiological conditions are great (low dose,no contamination problems). Hope to be there for the next outage.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2003, 05:48 »
My personal favorite plant to work. The house techs are great to work with and for. Radiological conditions are great (low dose,no contamination problems). Hope to be there for the next outage.

ditto, dittoh, dittoe.  now iffen i kin figger out how to get there sooner 'n every 17 years....
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline justme

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2004, 12:15 »
Heard that Kewaunee has been or is being purchased.  Anyone know by whom.
It is what it is!

senor mouse

« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2004, 03:23 »
Kewaunee is being purchased by Dominion Power. From what I've heard they are expecting the transaction to be approved and completed by years end. Then the NMC will be leaving, as Dominion wishes to run their facility.

allforthenukie

« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2004, 06:22 »
Heard a rumor that Numanco is taking over the RP contract there. Can anyone verify or deny this rumor?

Pochron

« Reply #11 on: Aug 31, 2004, 01:16 »
In response to the question from PB. Yes Numanco has the primary contract to supply Decon, HP staff to Kewaunee. The back up contract is through the Atlantic Group.
The staffing will be through union contract. Please call the recruiters for actual hourly wage and PD. The outage will start October 9, 2004 and is expected to run to November 8, 2004. We are looking for some good technicians as we will be working jobs that are Radiological intensive. We are replacing the Rx head, Removing and replacing the insulation from under vessel, 10 yr ISI of the lower internals and vessel, and Split Pin Replacement. We will also be doing normal outage Refueling, Valve work, and DCRs and Misc. work.
If you want some real HP/RP work sign up for our outage. This plant is a very good place to work and you will be treated not only as part of the team, but as family.

Questions or comments please feel free to e-mail Ron.Pochron@nmcco.com

Duke_Power

« Reply #12 on: Oct 09, 2004, 01:18 »
Heard a rumor today that Kewaunee's outage is gonna be held up due to lack of RP's.  I guess that Kewaunee shouldn't have laid people off 3 weeks into a 3 month SGRP.  Karma is a B#$@h.  The old saying rings true what goes around comes around.  Seems like them trying to save a dime is gonna cost them a dollar.

allforthenukie

« Reply #13 on: Oct 09, 2004, 02:34 »
Duke,
     This sounds like more rumor or perhaps wishful thinking.
     At any nuke plant, outages don't get held up due to lack of RP techs. When you are understaffed, management just uses the techs they do have on site and spreads 'em thinner and runs 'em harder.
     How many hot jobs can you cover at the same time? As many as it takes!
     Beenthere/donethat too many times.  ;)
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2004, 02:37 by allforthenukie »

Pochron

« Reply #14 on: Nov 04, 2004, 10:26 »
To all interested parties, KNPP is not extending the outage due to RP. Although this outage we have had to say we would cover work as prioritized by the OCC, not much work was turned away, only possibly delayed. The Technicians supplied by the contract companies have worked hard and are a group of competent technicians. The outage on the other hand may be extended due to some complications with equipment. There were some concerns identified this outage, and they are being addressed.

I personally would like to thank all the technicians that staffed our outage, without their dedication, willingness to work, and mental toughness, KNPP would be in a much bigger fix. Thank you, all of you.

As for Karma, the layoffs during the SGR were unfortunate, but in this day and age, with all the bean counters, it is the nature of the beast.

Best of Luck to all contract technicians working outages, because the pool is dwindling and to work an outage means, “PUT ‘UM To THE WALL AND GET ‘ER DONE”.

Ron

RemBoy

« Reply #15 on: Nov 08, 2004, 05:30 »
Hey Ron,

I hear the back-up contract is payin' techs $5.00 more an hour than the primary.
Any news on some back pay being spread around to help ease the tail-pipe soreness? :D

Pochron

« Reply #16 on: Nov 09, 2004, 02:26 »
RemBoy,

I haven't heard any complaining from any of the techs working for the 3 companies on site. If one was paying more then the other, it wouldn't be so quiet. Also the primary and secondary were brought in union. Still some work to do, things aren't moving too fast, but we will see some of the light at the end of the tunnel.

Ron

RemBoy

« Reply #17 on: Nov 11, 2004, 09:12 »
Hey Ron,
Just checking on rumor, heard a couple of w/enders (KG) are gettin' more benefits for shorter time.

Pochron

« Reply #18 on: Nov 12, 2004, 01:48 »
RemBoy,
Sounds like you have rumor control. I know of no discrepancies in pay or benefits. Contract companies have differences, so find the best benefits and pay and the plant that you would like to work and apply. For more information go to the source, KG?, and get details. Everyone should ensure that their money and benefits are what was in the contract. Sorry I can't help here.
Ron

raymcginnis

« Reply #19 on: Nov 14, 2004, 06:19 »
The best job that I ever had, as a technician!!  I am an old-timer but what memories I have of KNPP!  I remember having a end of outage brat feast under the most wonderful sunrise that I ever saw, thanks to Mt. St. Helens blowing its stack and sending it dust across Wisconsin!  I also remember when the local teachers wanted to come and look at a nuclear plant.  It was no problem to have them come onto the refuel floor with street clothes.  We only had to do a little touch up cleaning to make that happen.  Kewaunee, now that is how to run a nuclear power plant!  If you can get a job there, listen to this old-timer, do it!!!

Stix

« Reply #20 on: Dec 04, 2004, 06:29 »
Heard that Kewaunee has been or is being purchased.  Anyone know by whom.
I heard that the purchase of Kewaunee by Dominion has been shot down by the Wisconsin Public Service Comission for the time being.  I hope Kewaunee can get out from under their management company's shroud before another good plant goes down the toilet.

Pochron

« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2004, 10:43 »
Ray, Thanks for the "attaboy". We at KNPP still keep the CTMT walkways
< 100dpm/100cm2. We have a good bunch of Controlled Area Maintenance Operators (CAMOs), and they see to it if we discover contamination over the limit that it is cleaned up.
The sale to Dominion has had a minor set back, as the Wisconsin Public Service Commission has some concerns with the deal. The minor set backs are being considered by all parties involved, and some resolution should be found to benefit all.
Ron

Offline NightCrawler

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 05, 2004, 06:04 »
"A minor setback".......I never took you for a spin doctor, Ron!!! 

Pochron

« Reply #23 on: Dec 06, 2004, 03:20 »
Jerry,
If you saw the Report from the WPSC, you'd say minor set back also. No time to explain the thought process of the WPSC. All parties are working on a solution, and trying to make all parties happy. To see the full report go to the Wisconsin Public Service Commission.(http://psc.wi.gov/event/newsrel/nwsrel04/kewauneeSale.htm)
I've got more records to spin. The doctor is in!
Ron

Offline dblaies

• Very Lite User
  • I had hair when I started in this business!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 13, 2004, 08:15 »
KNPP is full of great people. Clean, low dose plant; I'd work there again anytime. But I'm still trying to pass those damn cheese curds... :D
Author of Migrant Nuclear Worker's Guide
Inventor of Zn-64 depleted Zinc additions.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?