Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu AHHHH still waiting to hear back from Browns Ferry honeypot

Author Topic: AHHHH still waiting to hear back from Browns Ferry  (Read 19172 times)

Loose Screws

Obviously, this is my first post but I have been lurking around for sometime now.  A big THANKS for this site and all of its information!!! 
I interviewed for a spot in this seasons SGPO (class to begin in 07) first part of August.  Upon exiting the interview (which seemed to go smoothly) I was told it would take 4-6 weeks but one of my contacts @ BFN said it might take 8 before we hear anything.  My only question: From your experience how long does it normally take to be contacted after the interview.  I assume if I don't hear anything I was passed over correct?
Thanks, I will now go back to tapping my foot in a nervous manner.  ::) 

Fermi2

Re: AHHHH still waiting to hear back from Browns Ferry
« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2006, 07:24 »
With TVAN it can be anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months to sometimes a year. It depends on whether HR accepts the picks.

If you don't make it you'll eventually get a letter in the mail.

Mike

Loose Screws

« Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2006, 07:35 »
Thanks Mike.  I would have to say that your posts have provided me with most of my information during the last 5 months or so since I stumbled upon this site!

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2006, 09:13 »
Thank you, I appreciate my input helps at least someone :)

When I said 6 months to a year I wasn't kidding, but keep in mind it is possible. A guy I work with now received his job offer a year after interviewing, another was 6 months, in my case it was only 10 weeks. A guy we are hiring was 6 months. I'll give you a gut feel, you might not get your offer until the end of the TVA Fiscal year which I believe is in about 3 weeks. Also, the Big Head Nuke Guy approves all job offers and he's a busy man.

My gut feel would be sometime after October 1st with start dates either the 1st or 3rd week of November. TVA starts hirees on either the 1st or 3rd Monday of the month.

Mike

Loose Screws

« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2006, 09:27 »
Thought I would update you guys/girls on the progress of my application.  So far I have still not heard from TVA or Browns Ferry.  I have heard rumors that the Training class will be starting sometime around the first of Dec. but nothing official.  I have also been told my name is on "the list" by two different friends that inquired about me.
  In an effort to get some updated information I spoke to a/the hiring person at TVA and was told they had the list of applicants but had not sent out the bids yet.  I am trying to have patience and not get my hopes up but I am ready to celebrate another step towards a career and get started in the training class!

Whatever the outcome, maybe my updates will help others understand the way it works out sometimes.   

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2006, 12:06 »
If it started the first of December you'd have heard something by now. Whoever told you that is full of sh@@. TVA only hires the Second and last Mondays of the month. There are no other starting dates. They've already set the November dates because they need to for TVA Indoctrination. They won't hire anyone in the end of November or December due to the holidays. In fact TVA pretty much shuts down the last couple weeks of December so far as that stuff goes.

Your friends are also full of sh@@. TVA is HUGELY paranoid about lawsuits so your friends wouldn't have access to that sort of info. Trust me on this one.

Mike
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2006, 12:09 by PWHoppe »

Loose Screws

« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2006, 06:59 »
Thanks for the heads up on info that is available.

Fermi2

« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2006, 02:45 »
LOL I must have posted real swear words. My apologies to the moderators and the board!

Mike

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2006, 07:20 »
LOL I must have posted real swear words. My apologies to the moderators and the board!

Mike

Just a wee bit, No blood...No Foul   ;)

hopster  8)
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Loose Screws

« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2006, 08:51 »
Today was the day I have been waiting for...  I was offered the job at Browns Ferry!  It feels great...surreal actually.

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2006, 08:53 »
Congrats man!!! Good Job and Good Luck.
Keep us informed!!!

Rob
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2006, 08:54 »
PS when do you start???

Loose Screws

« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2006, 09:04 »
I was told they were shooting for Jan 8th but were unsure if they would get the medical/backgrounds back for that start date.

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2006, 09:09 »
I guess 4-6 weeks should have been 4-6 months!!! :)

Oh well, alls well that ends well!!

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2006, 10:51 »
Oh yea can you post a quick Bio on your background might help other who want to go into feild understand what things might help them land job. You do not have to put anything real personal but I think education and professional things might help some.

Rob

Loose Screws

« Reply #15 on: Nov 30, 2006, 07:23 »
BS in Business Admin; I am currently a Home Theatre Installer and will be happy to give up the life of hot attics and muddy crawl spaces.

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2006, 08:24 »
OK please do not take this wrong but your background is not what many would associate with being an Nuc operator.  What do you think it was about you that made them choose you.  I fully understand that there are lots of people from many backgrounds in this field, I am just wondering what you feel made the difference in your case?  May sound personal but I think some people who have no background in the field might find it more helpful to hear how a guy like you landed a good job than how a crustry 23 yr Navy vet who has been boiling H2O for about 22 of those years got a job

Again thanks for the onfo and Good Luck

Rob

Loose Screws

« Reply #17 on: Dec 01, 2006, 09:31 »
When I applied for the SGPO position I asked myself the same type questions (ie, what do I even know about the nuke field?, why would they hire me?, etc...).  If I could give any advice, make good contacts, have good work/personal references, pass all qualifying test and interview well.  Right after I sent in the job application I began searching for information...that's what lead me here (most of my questions were answered here) and asked friends (current NLOs) and others for information.  I wanted to give it my best effort and it worked out.

As far as my atypical background for nuke work.  On the day I interviewed I chatted with a few guys while I waited and they of course asked my background.  I was told not to worry b/c "they" normally choose a wide range of backgrounds and was given quite a few examples.  If they were looking specifically for a nuke background then that is what they would have hired.  B/c this is a training position the interview questions were based on teamwork, work ethics, willingness to learn and not nuke knowledge.

Maybe I'm just lucky but I gave it a good effort and it worked out. :)

Fermi2

« Reply #18 on: Dec 01, 2006, 01:01 »
BS in Business Admin; I am currently a Home Theatre Installer and will be happy to give up the life of hot attics and muddy crawl spaces.

Congrats!! Wait until you spend a couple hours in the Drywell, you'll miss your hot and muddy attics.

As for your qualofications, I've said many times some of the best NLOs I've ever had had no Navy background whatsoever. In fact 3 or 4 of the best were guys who had been deconners and had a HS Education with no training whatsoever. If you're 18 and have a good work ethic  are willing to listen, display good solid judgement and are wiling to learn you're just as qualif ied for an NLO postion as anyone with any amount of Naval Experience. We teach you what you need to know to be a good operator. You'll do just fine.

Mike

Loose Screws

« Reply #19 on: Dec 01, 2006, 03:38 »
"Congrats!! Wait until you spend a couple hours in the Drywell, you'll miss your hot and muddy attics."

Just please tell me there is no fiberglass insulation???  :'(

Your're probably right but at nearly 120F+ (more if I am suited up) the fiberglass insulation sticks to my face, arms, down the shirt/pants, basiclly everywhere!  Once I lifted my head in a very low attic only to have a nail puncture the side of my head.  I had little to no room to move my head and no light so when I gasped in pain and jerked away my face went right into a nice patch of fiberglass.  So after getting choked on fiberglass and with blood running down my head I did what any lead installer would do...I sent my helper up ;)  lol

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #20 on: Dec 01, 2006, 04:08 »
Great answer! I hope that those who want into the field will read what you have said (and of course Mike's reply) and it will give them some understanding of the fact that this field is not magic or full of MIT grads!  Just a buuch (for the most part) of har dworking people who are willing to face the challenge for the rewards. 
Our industry is going to need more people to keep going and even more to expand it is my opinion that many people still do not understand enough about it and it will be our job to bring them in.  After all with there being fewer Navy nucs and everyone and thier brother trying to become MSE networking experts how often are the bright up and comers being exposed to what we have to offer?

Rob

Loose Screws

« Reply #21 on: Dec 13, 2006, 05:15 »
Tomorrow, I have my appointment with the counselor.  I was told that everyone has to meet with the counselor after their first MMPI.  Any thing I should know/general advice? 
What else do I have to look forward to after this step?
Thanks

Fermi2

« Reply #22 on: Dec 13, 2006, 05:46 »
Just answer the counselors questions honestly it's really no big deal man.

Mike

wglewallen

« Reply #23 on: Dec 13, 2006, 09:39 »
That is just a requirement that Browns Ferry or TVA has enacted. So, do not worry about it. They just want to find out a few things about you like for instance, Did you have a happy childhood etc.?

Fermi2

« Reply #24 on: Dec 13, 2006, 10:07 »
No it's a requirement every utility is required to have for people critical to either operational safety or security of a nuke facility. All new Operators, Maintenance Personel and Security Guards have to take it.

Mike

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?