Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuclear Ports for carriers honeypot

Author Topic: Nuclear Ports for carriers  (Read 7512 times)

PunkerBot

Nuclear Ports for carriers
« on: Sep 07, 2006, 02:53 »
First of all, sorry for typos, im not the best typist.

I leave for boot camp in one month, im kinda nervouse, but i am determined to do my best, and i am confident that i will, so i know i will be ok. One of my major reaosons for going into the Navy, rather than college, was the travel. I figured since i was going in i might as well "be all that i can be" so opted for nuke, i was able to test out fo the nuke test thankfully. Anyway, i really would like to be station in San Diego on a carrier though the people i have met who are currently in school say that you dont get that much of a choice, needs of the navy and such, actually the person said that it would be more likely that i end up in virginia, which i dont live to far from virginia so it would might not be that bad of a thing, but i was wondering A.) what options do i have, and B.) how much of an option do i have. I would really love to be stationed in Europe or in Asia Minor, Oriental Asia isn't really my thing, but Japan would be pretty cool. Any Help would be greatly apreciated. Also, any advice about boot camp would be apreciated, as far as i have heard, dont get your self singled out, keep your mouth shut. Im sort of the rebellious type, btu i know i will have to get over myself for this and do what i can to succede. Thank you guys in advance. I wish i would have known about this forum a long time ago when i first enlisted, it seems to be very informative.

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Nuclear Ports for carriers
« Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 2006, 07:50 »
Only really bad typo is "be all that i can be" that is Army!! not Navy!!
Ok now onto your question
1 Options: Go surface and you can be in East coast Norfolk Va, and by time you hit fleet maybe Jacksonville Fl (Navy putting Nuc there to replace Kennedy likely to happen soon).  On west coast you get San Diego, Bremerton Washington, and soon Japan (as GW is slated to go there to replace retieing conventional carrier)  Go subs and you can throw in Groton CT, Kingsbay GA, Pearl Harbour Hi along with the surface but remove Japan and Jacksonville.
2 Your control over it limited but... If you want overseas then do not vol for Subs and then ask for the Japan based carrier (ship there are tradionally easy to get for lots of reason).  The other reason I would stay away from subs is that if you really to traval and see places your best is on a carrier cuase on a boat you will likely not see much of anything, especially with Lamad IT being shut down in next year or two.  Forget Being stationed overseas for first tour (maybe if you stay in for second tour then you could get tender in Guam.  As for the rest well face it nukes get the money and education not the fun just remeber that when itr is all done they will trying to find jobs to use thier skills at and you will be tryin to figure which job to take.

Boot camp  is easy if you remeber to: Shut up and listen at all times, do what you are told don't ask why just do (if you have question it should be how not why!!), always remeber it ends in a couple of weeks and you are in control of your self.  This last one is important, maintain PMA (positive mental attitude) at all times be a positive person and positive things happen, conversly be negative and negitive things will happen.

Good Luck and keep asking quesitons!
Rob
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

PunkerBot

« Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 2006, 01:21 »
Thank you, I really apreciate it. Oh and yeah, be all you can be is the army, i forgot that the navy's slogan is the lyrics to in the navy by the village people. ;D

SenorPabis

« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2006, 01:08 »
You say you're leaving in 1 month, which day do you leave, im also in Nuc (obviously or I wouldn't be posting here) and im leaving October 4th, just wondering if someone was shipping same day as me (as of yet I don't know of a single person nuc or otherwise.)

PunkerBot

« Reply #4 on: Sep 09, 2006, 09:12 »
Hey, I leave oct 11

Beta_effect

« Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2006, 09:50 »
I served on a conventional surface ship before nuke school then volunteered for subs. I really enjoyed submarine service. The crew was tight, everyone for the most got along well together, and when I got out, I actually looked forward to seeing the old crew at reunions. If you are going to make a career out of it, I think you would really miss something by not being on a sub at least once. When I passed the E-7 exam while an instructor at prototype, I was told that the best thing careerwise if I was going to stay in was to do a tour on an aircraft carrier. Well, something for you to think about...btw I did not stay in-got out and went to college...woo hooo...kid in a candy store (bad ex-sailor-slap slap kick kick)...

Beta_effect

« Reply #6 on: Sep 13, 2006, 11:39 »
Just a short addendum...

When you get out...go to college at least for a year even if it is not your thing...more to college than just getting a degree! Eye candy for instance...still suffer bouts of blurred vision...vauge recollections of wild parties...sort of like going to a Scottish pub in Holy Loch...only without the Navy part...I would highly suggest you continue on, but hey do what you feel like you have to do! Lots of potential opportunities being a reactor operator at a college research reactor or a Rad Tech in the college's safety office!
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2006, 11:43 by Beta_effect »

ender17

« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2006, 11:44 »
Gonna just add this in here.  They are looking at moving a nuke carrier to Japan.  Looks like the GW.  Last I heard, it was still up in the air.

taterhead

« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2006, 07:45 »
Gonna just add this in here.  They are looking at moving a nuke carrier to Japan.  Looks like the GW.  Last I heard, it was still up in the air.

Not up in the air anymore.  Going in mid-2008.  The various dets are already soliciting for manning (AIRPAC, NRRO, NAVSEA).

ender17

« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2006, 08:13 »
I didn't have any documents as back up, so thought it best to leave it up in air.  I was pretty sure it was going anyway.  That's one set of orders I would have to pass on these days.  Earlier I would have taken.

CharlieRock

« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2006, 07:33 »
Also, I'd continue to be skeptical of a nuke carrier in Jax until the Navy actually commits to it.  Nobody in the nuclear community (not Navsea, Bettis (RPCO), or the yards) even has this on their planning plate besides the theoretical exercise.  Moving the 73 to Japan is the first priority.  The Navy has been funding studies of a move to Jax since the early 90s and nothing has yet come of it.  One of my group's functions is carrier suuport and a nuc in Jax is on nobody's schedule.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?