Brunswick

Above Average
18 (34.6%)
Average
15 (28.8%)
Below Average
19 (36.5%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Brunswick  (Read 148797 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Brunswick
« on: Nov 30, 2002, 07:22 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.

jjordan

Re: Rate Brunswick
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2002, 02:45 »
The Diablo Cannyon of the east coast! ;) Excellent location, nice weather,well managed site,great house staff, (specially me ;)), and ICE CREAM out the ying yang! our outage is early March this year, call Eric to reserve your slot. Come on down Ya'll! :-*
JJ
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2006, 11:32 by Rennhack »

Offline jkj

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2003, 02:11 »
The Diablo "Cannnnnyon" of the east coast? I must be be from another time zone. I guess ice cream is all you can say about the site. Is "Sweetreat" Ice cream still open? Say "hello" to "sleaze Reedy" if he's still at the site.
Words fail me and pictures aren't much better.

"Never take no cut-offs, and hurry along as fast as you can."-- (Virginia Reed; member of Donner party.)

jjordan

« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2003, 04:04 »
That wasn't all I said! There was another sentence directly after the Diablo Cannyon one. ::) Before I even mentioned the ICE CREAM ;D ;D ;D What do you have against ice cream? ??? I suppose you don't like free food either? Every Sat. and Sun. during the outage, the E&RC manager buys us food!!! Good food too!!! Not your typical pizza and burgers! ;) Can I count you in? Oh and if you can get in, can I please have your ice cream? :-*
JJ
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2006, 11:33 by Rennhack »

Old_Guy

« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2003, 10:18 »
JJ,
You are starting to scare me with the ice cream fettish. How about mentioning what a nice drywell you have and don't mention the gas problems in the breezeway.

jjordan

« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2003, 08:34 »
We have a slight gas problem in the TB, not anwhere near as bad as it used to be! ;) This outage will be a U2 outage and it's closest to the exit, so if you're a little scared of offgas this will make it a little easier! Funny you should mention our DW, that happens to be my control point, we don't have any offgas in there! ::) Yes it has some dose, but I think we control it very well! we use telemetry on everyone who enters, and don't make any more entries than needed. We cover everything we can remotely. 8)
 Fetish for ICE CREAM No, I just like it, and I buy it for everyone that works with us! :-* You need to come back and do an outage, sounds like it's been a while since you've been here! It ain't the same old Brunswick! ;D
JJ
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2006, 11:33 by Rennhack »

biloxi_blues

« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2003, 09:00 »
Dont forget to tell the contractors they have to wear slacks and collar shirts to work.  The area is nice in the summer, but the winters do get cold.  Actually working for the house people is the best thing they are a good bunch of people, but you still have to sneak around the cordinator (Mr. Smiley, I dont work for you eventhough Im bartlett).  Any comments on the cordinator JJ?  And yes the drywell is a good place to work, the worse is the breezeway.  Just my opinion

Offline Rain Man

• Very Heavy User
  • Constants aren't, variables won't.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2003, 12:46 »
Mr Jordan...it must be horrible to live with that ice cream monkey on your back.  Just say no.......thank you.
"Giving power and money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenaged boys." -P.J. O'Rourke

"Politics is the skilled use of blunt instruments"  -Lester B. Pearson

jupiter

« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2003, 08:41 »
I would like to say most likely collared shirt but no Blue jeans for Bartlett that is, green, black, blue, red, evenpurple if you want, but who the heck cares? most the time your in BNP issued scrubs anyway, and oh yeah that policy has changed just a little. And yes the Ice Cream is good :P

jjordan

« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2003, 02:32 »
Ya'll talking about the same Brunswick I am? You know, the one in N.C.! As part of my standard attire, we have a choice, black jeans, khaki jeans, or khaki, or grey slacks. Yes we wear collared shirts, polo, or buttondown. You know we give you one to wear when you first get here! As for our Bartlett site coordinator, I've never had a problem with him or any of the Bartlett supervision, ever! Now remember I worked several outages here as a Bartlett tech, so I'm looking at it from both sides of the fence! What do you need to sneak around for, ??? you work for us, you eat with us, you break with us, your time sheets (HP) are in our breakroom. If you're a decconner it's a different break area, but come on down, and you're welcome to whatever we have! I write your evals if you want, I don't know how much pull that has, but I'll bet that most everyone in the Bartlett home office knows who I am, and I tell it pretty straight! But that and $.50 will get you a bowl of ICE CREAM around here! Honest Rain Man I'm trying to quit, but there's just so much, and so little time! ;)
JJ
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2006, 11:34 by Rennhack »

jjordan

Re: Brunswick
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2003, 06:41 »
I can't believe that this site only gets rated in the middle of the spectrum! ??? ::) I've been all over as a contractor, and the only site that I've been to that's even close would be Duane Arnold. The people are great there like Brunswick, but I have to give the edge to Brunswick for the weather (it was in the 60's today), and the location, can't beat living on the ocean! The plant is well run, if you haven't been here for a while, you need to come see for youself, things have changed here! ;D
JJ

jjordan

« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2003, 07:39 »
Radgal,
We loved having you, and are real sorry you won't be returnig this year! We know you'll be back sooner or later! ;) Is it the Rocky Road or the Cookies and Cream! :D
We could still use a couple of techs, we have a lot of our returnees commited, but have a few openings! Let me guess. The people you talk to tell you how awfull it is here! :o Same ploy I used as a contractor for sites I wanted to make sure I had a spot to return to! 8) Check their resumes, bet they've been here more than once! :o We have an excellent house staff here, but maybe I should mention them in the Hp legends thread or maybe the other Brunswick thread. Hmmm, can you say Golf? Or maybe Myrtle Beach! Sure you can!!!
See Ya there.
JJ :-* :-*

Old_Guy

« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2003, 09:00 »
Okay JJ, you let up enough on  the ice cream. Next you'll start talking about those nasty hot wings imported from Wilmington.Anyway I'll be back again,definitely not for the money, so it must be the ice cream and the spiffy scrubs.

jjordan

« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2003, 05:14 »
Old Guy, It's good to have you back, You must have been one of my "problem children" ;) if you know about the hot wings! :D Well I think you are on nightshift in the DW with myself, Miller Williams, and the Mayor of Oak Island, The "honorable James Cricso Esq." [smiley=biggrin.gif]
See Ya real soon. JJ

jjordan

« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2003, 11:05 »
Hey! What's the matter with our scrubs? We take you in off the street, give you a job, feed ya, give you a nice shirt that any golfer would be proud of, and you give me this! :-/ What are all of the best dressd techs wearing nowadays? You think ours are bad, well I remember the ones at SONGS, talk about ugly! :P
JJ

jjordan

« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2003, 06:47 »
Thank God the contractors are here!!! :D
We've been ramped up for outage for quite a while!  :-/Everybody that is but HP! :P It's going to be good to see all of our old friends again, I hope Ice Cream is on special somewhere this week! ;)
JJ

radgal

« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2003, 06:49 »
Oh! ;D to be at the beach.......

radgal

« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2003, 03:01 »
Wish I was at that outage.  How is it going anyway, I want details. ;)

jjordan

« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2003, 12:00 »
Our first 8 contractors finally got into the plant yesterday! ;D Whew just in time!
Now lets see: there is : Butter Pecan, Cherry Cocolate Chip, Mint Chocolate Chip, Bannana Fudge Chunk, Cherry Vanila, Chips Ahoy Cookie Dough, Hershey Chocolate Almond, Peach, and Heath Bar. These are all the cheap brand, Breyer's! :-* We miss ya Radgal! :'( It's still not too late, say the word. ;) Gonna be in the 70's tommorow. Bring your SPF45!
JJ

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #19 on: Feb 21, 2003, 05:20 »
The only four letters you need to remember at Brunswick are WWMD [smiley=laugh.gif]. Yep working nightshift and playing a round of golf in the morning or a two mile jog on the beach in the afternoon made my stay really enjoyable there. Truly the class of the CP&L plants. Would be there again this outage but I got too good of a long term deal at Oak Ridge to leave. But would prefer the beach to these cold and rainy mountains any day.

RADBASTARD

« Reply #20 on: Feb 22, 2003, 01:30 »
JJORDAN hey buddie were they the only 8 techs to show up?
I hope housepuke breaks out and gets ice some ice cream.Nacho's and salsa would be could too.

jjordan

« Reply #21 on: Feb 22, 2003, 05:45 »
Hey Jethro, Myron misses you!  8)Radbastard, 8 were all that were supposed to come this week! Next week we will be getting most of the newbies. Then 1 more small staffing the next week for people with previous commitments. Hang out for another week and see if Housepuke gets off of any Ice cream! We  can still squeeze you in if he doesn't! ;D
JJ

klennox

« Reply #22 on: Feb 22, 2003, 07:52 »
I have only been at BNP for 6months , but already I am very proud to be part of the team. BNP rocks and the area is great. Where else could I afford to own a place on the beach and work in this industry. The management here really looks out for the workers (as long as you do work) Cant wait for summer here )

Oly

« Reply #23 on: Feb 22, 2003, 08:24 »
::)
Would Loveto go to brunswick, I need to get some BWR experience. As an ANSI 18.1 CP&L won't allow me to come in as a SHP. Why would I want to undercut my time in grade as a JHP for the outage? I want to learn to advance myself in the biz not go backward.

Say hey to Chester, Rendall, and Brian Hatton for me please.

jjordan

« Reply #24 on: Feb 22, 2003, 03:10 »
I don't know about 18.1's here I know we have hired some in the past! ;)I will check for you ASAP. :D We need to get you out of WI, close your eyes and click your heels!  ;D
JJ

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #25 on: Feb 22, 2003, 06:27 »
wow, sounds like brunswick has really turned around since i was there eight years ago.

how is the money for locals? -since i live only three miles from the plant?
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

jjordan

« Reply #26 on: Feb 24, 2003, 11:22 »
Oly, we do hire 18.1's but pay them at the Jr. rate, sorry I can't help you! :-/
JJ

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #27 on: Feb 24, 2003, 11:33 »
jjordan,  so what's the rate for 18.1/jr down there?  ya never know what color parachute yer gonna need to pull....
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline TN-Man

• Light User
  • It's not the ending that matters..It's the journey
« Reply #28 on: Feb 24, 2003, 02:30 »
I wish ya'ld resource share with Summer again. I loved my time at Brunswick. I had heard a lot of horror stories about the place, but I loved it. The plant is clean and well cared for and the people are great. When Progress buys us out I want a transfer!!! Tell Carol hello.
Sometimes I look back on my life and think I could have had to work for a living. Thank God, I'm an HP.

DABIGUNC

« Reply #29 on: Feb 24, 2003, 02:45 »
Brunswick, was very, very good to me..........and this was when contractors couldn't sit in the little snack bar, when Phil Burns and "The Bruce" walked the halls. Lived in the area for 33 years, come visit and you'll want to stay........all the ocean you can handle.

radgal

« Reply #30 on: Feb 25, 2003, 02:38 »
All right I'm jealous!!!!! :'(   ;D

Offline "E"

• Light User
« Reply #31 on: Feb 26, 2003, 04:18 »
I'm here at Brunswick, waiting for my badge. Hoping it's a good job. As a local the $2.- extra hr. for not getting per-diem is not the best compensation, but you pay the price for being home. "there's no place like home" Arrrghhh...Per-diem withdraws. They still need a few techs. too if anyone is interested. It's cold and windy, but that should change anytime now (I hope).
"You can sleep when you're dead"

zippomarks

« Reply #32 on: Feb 27, 2003, 10:47 »
JJ, I just want to know if you can get the same quality lap dancing down there that you used to get in Windsor when you worked at Besse?  ;)

jjordan

« Reply #33 on: Feb 27, 2003, 06:07 »
Zip,
I don't know! Guess you'll have to show up to find out! ;)
JJ

zippomarks

« Reply #34 on: Feb 27, 2003, 07:10 »
I would if I could, but I'm not techin these days. Used to love those headsets at Besse....especially when I heard that voice bellowing, "Hey. East D ringers."

jjordan

« Reply #35 on: Feb 28, 2003, 07:09 »
Well we're sorry ya'll are missing it! :'( Thursday they had the outage kickoff dinner. Sticky fingers was the caterer, I was off that day, somebody tell me , How was the food? :-[
JJ

jjordan

« Reply #36 on: Mar 02, 2003, 11:25 »
Summerdazed, I was looking forward to working your plant! :'( I've enjoyed working with all of the VC people, here, Robinson , and Shearon Harris. :D When I was a Bartlett tech, always tried to come there, but there was never any openings. That tells me 1 thing, and if ya'll aren't bright enough to figure that out, well I guess you can keep busy at BV, Perry, TMI, ect!  ::)What ya talking about takeover? You know something I don't? That would be most excellent! Lets see how far they run with that! ;) The only reason we aren't sharing this time is, your outage is the same time as Crystal River's, and we have to send quite a few techs to that one. (me included) Hell tell your boss man we still need you and want you. We just can't reciprocate this year, maybe next. I'll  tell Carol Hi, she's great to work with, isn't she? The girl can cook!Lots of fun too, and very organized!
Later,
JJ

Offline "E"

• Light User
« Reply #37 on: Mar 16, 2003, 06:34 »
Brunswick is good these days. They feed us good (too good) and the house techs are very friendly. Not bad not bad. The sun is actually out today and the weather is getting warmer. Finally. Hey John, keep the ice cream coming!

jjordan

« Reply #38 on: Mar 24, 2003, 08:21 »
Well the outage is winding down, seems to be on schedule. Food was good this weekend! ( Ribs on Sat, Lasagna on Sun) Some of the techs are leaving for their next assignment. Thanks, good luck,we'll miss ya! Ya'll come back now ya hear! ;)Hope you got enough Ice Cream! If you didn't, shame on you! 8)
JJ

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #39 on: Mar 24, 2003, 11:11 »
Came here 19 years ago. A lot of positive change for the better. Whole new attitude and enthusiasm among staff and workers. A lot of new facilities, makes this a top notch site to work at. Not to mention the area and the weather (70s) and the fishing and the sunbathers, need I go on....

This outage was known as the all you can eat/weed-eater outage. Just ask JJ or Criscoe.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

radgal

« Reply #40 on: Mar 25, 2003, 09:01 »
I'd go back in an instant if I was on the road again. :)

hambone

« Reply #41 on: Mar 25, 2003, 08:51 »
I haven't been there in 15 years, from the posts it sounds like things have changed for the better. Might give it another try somtime.

OriginalRemball

« Reply #42 on: Mar 27, 2003, 10:52 »
:-[

I would have to be one hungry mother before I ever went back to Brunswick.  Picked up over 5 R in three outages, treated like a booger on the bottom of a chair all three times.  Seems like Brunswick goes in cycles.  Good for a putage or two the bad for an outage or two.  I guess I got the bad ones.  Either way there are alot better plants IMO and I can go to the beach anytime

Offline jkj

• Light User
« Reply #43 on: Apr 03, 2003, 11:05 »
I agree with you, OriginalRemball. If it goes in cycles, I was there during one long continuous downturn. The ocean was the only positve side except for the many hurricanes.I really can't see it improved. But if it has, then I'm glad for the people who remain there. I hope the down-cycle doesn't begin again.

"Never take no cut-offs, and hurry along as fast as you can."-- (Virginia Reed; member of Donner party.)

Offline "E"

• Light User
« Reply #44 on: Apr 08, 2003, 12:10 »
It was a great time at Brunswick, Thanks to all for making me feel at home. I miss it already. Especially since I'm freezing my a@# off in NY now. BooHoo... Hope to see ya next time.

jjordan

« Reply #45 on: Apr 09, 2003, 01:05 »
Well the Brunswick "All You Can Eat " Outage is offically over. We met most of our goals, in spite of being a little short staffed, kind of an industry trend! :P I don't think that this is a reflection on the way we treat people here! I'd personally like to thank all of the contractors who helped us succeed! ;D I think most will agree that they were treated very well, in fact I never heard anyone say that they were treated unfairly. OriginalRemball, it seems that the last few times you were here was prior to the latest revision to 10CFR20 when you were allowed 3 REM/ Quarter. Guess what? I was getting 1 R / outage too, at every outage I went to! :-[ I worked the D/W this outage, none of the techs received 500 mr for the whole outage. I do agreee with you, that Duane Arnold was a good plant to work, almost as  good as here, not quite though. I'd like to see your list of plants that you consider better though, I probably worked at a few and will strongly disagreee with you! :o Anyway to end on a positive note, jovynomad, it was a pleasure working with you, we hope you'll return every year, we miss all of our contractors already! :'( Keep in touch!
JJ

Offline "E"

• Light User
« Reply #46 on: Apr 12, 2003, 08:43 »

JJordan,

Awwww, Thanks! ;)

jjordan

« Reply #47 on: Jan 31, 2004, 10:31 »
Well here we go again! Getting ready for our outage, about a month away, so much to do! We always try to get evrything ready, kinda hard though! All the other crafts are already here, shielders scaffolders, we try to support all of the extra work and prepare our stuff at the same time without any extra support! It aint easy! :P Some things have changed since last outage most notably, Our RPM Steve Hamilton has resigned to go to work for Framatone. Steve was the best RPM I've ever worked for and there have been quite a few! We all wish him well, we'll miss him!We are supposed to fill 1 house tech slot prior to the outage, better hurry ! Supposed to have a few techs show up next week, they'll be stuck in training and security for a little while, Oh well! If anyone is comming and needs some help with housing or info and such, message me and I'll try to help. Last I checked there was still some ICE CREAMin the freezer! ;D
JJ
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2004, 10:37 by JJordan »

Old_Guy

« Reply #48 on: Jan 31, 2004, 03:20 »
JJ
Just want to wish you guys a great outage this year. I won't be able to make it this time around because of the  schedule conflict and that the ice cream is nice but an extra $5/ hour is nicer.
Take good care of the D/W and say hi to Floyd and The Mayor.

Old Guy

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #49 on: Jan 31, 2004, 04:25 »
JJ. Tell Myron I'm gonna miss him again this time. Got too good of a thing going on in the Tennessee hills to walk away from. Gonna miss the beach and the ice cream. Hope ya'll have a good outage !    WWMD!   ;)

jjordan

« Reply #50 on: Feb 22, 2004, 04:45 »
Well here we go! Starting the outage Friday night. We are almost fully staffed, just lost 1 that I know of, but 1 more group starts this week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Already plenty of Ice Cream in the freezer. (Hey it's buy 1 get 1 ) Lots of new faces, we miss all of our oldtimers, hurry back! Will try to keep everyone updated! :-*
JJ

Magnawake

« Reply #51 on: Apr 01, 2004, 03:28 »
Well, it's over.  Brunswick was a site to remember.  JJ kept us all up to our ears in Ice cream.  All the people were great.  I met lots of friendly people who I look forward to working with in the future.  The lodging, well, a house on the beach.... need I say more.  It was nice to get 2 others to share the cost with.  If you go to the Brunswick front gate, you can still see the claw marks I left on the pavement. I didnt want to go, but my family was missing me.  I would love to go back next year and hope I can get the same beach house.  I cant say enough good things about Brunswick, but hey, if I do others may beat me to the punch and get hired before me.  Thanks for everything JJ..

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #52 on: Apr 01, 2004, 03:38 »
hey where was my icecream ??? Oh well wouldve melted by time it reached the 70' anyway *shrugs*.   yay no more fire watch...for now  :-\

jjordan

« Reply #53 on: Apr 02, 2004, 04:20 »
Jes, did ya look in the freezer? There was plenty for everybody, and anybbody! The deconners and firewatch are always welcome. Next time stop in and have some, tell them I said it's OK! Magnawake, you did an excellent job and we are looking forward to you becomming on of our regular returnees! ;D
Thanks,
JJ

Old_Guy

« Reply #54 on: Apr 04, 2004, 05:54 »
JJ,

Sorry to have missed your outage this year. Some of us opted for more money at other sites. Try to get the pay rates up a little and more of us will return. It is a little health physics formula; pay them well and treat them well and THEY WILL RETURN !
Anyway have a great summer.

Old Guy

AKA Drywell team member.

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #55 on: Apr 05, 2004, 07:22 »
     I remember the many horror stories of this site, back in the 80's and early 90's.  After 2 decades I made my first trip there and all seems pretty mellow.  Lots of decent house mice and the shared resource techs were pretty good also.  Enjoyed the trip, hope to do it again next year!   

SmearsAndBeers

« Reply #56 on: Apr 05, 2004, 03:47 »
All of CP&L stinks IMO >:(

Offline jkj

• Light User
« Reply #57 on: Apr 06, 2004, 09:29 »
All of CP&L stinks IMO >:(

I tend to agree. Maybe that's why our karma's so bad. Maybe JJ can save us some ice cream?

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
Brunswick
« Reply #58 on: Apr 08, 2004, 05:43 »
If anyone has a favorite hang out, place to shop, or local information for this area please post it here.

Magnawake

« Reply #59 on: Apr 09, 2004, 07:02 »
I stayed on Oak Island for the outage.  The Lucky Fisherman was a good Restaurant.  In fact, there are plenty of good seafood places to eat.  There is a little coffee shop on O.I. called "The Flying Pig".  It has high speed wireless hookup to get on-line, and they make a mean cup of joe.

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #60 on: Apr 10, 2004, 09:50 »
If anyone hits the flying pig tell becky and daniel I said "HI".  Belly Busters was the night shift outage bar of choice since it was open! plus the bartender in the mornings a cute lil thing.  Feisty though!  hmmmm if you dont mind the drive blue water point marina is a good place to crash and also has a restraunt.  Thai by the sea is excellent, try thier duck....as for any other sort of culture expect to drive to myrtle or wilhmington.  HAVE FUN!

Aerosquirl

« Reply #61 on: Jan 03, 2005, 04:42 »
I'll be heading that way this outage.  Never been but have heard all good from those that have with the exception of those few on this site.  Looking for a place to hang my hat and park my bike, that is, when I'm not on it.  Hows night shift??  I don't do days well.

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #62 on: Jan 04, 2005, 05:03 »
JJ tell Myron I'm coming back! Now i gotta get back in that mode!  8) WWMD

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #63 on: Jan 04, 2005, 05:06 »
Areosquirl, glad to here you are comming ;D, and Jess we're sorry you're not! :' You'll find a pretty good list of the local housing  with phone numbers in the Facility Information Lodging thread. The place Jess mentioned also has a real good resturaunt! :P Nightshift is OK here, I hate it but I'm always on it for some strange reason???  Now what Jess said about 70' TB is if you are a deconner, and it shouldn't be quite as bad there this outage. We aren't doing all of the MSR work that we have in the past. If you're an HP there isn't a bad assignment, you'll love it here either way. The people, the weather, the plant are all good! And the Ice Cream is the best in the industry! 8) Look me up when you get here, I'm in HP Instruments, do you have a report date?
JJ(

Musta missed ya last outage JJ......send me some duck from thai by the sea I miss it I tell ya!

jjordan

« Reply #64 on: Jan 05, 2005, 09:03 »
CJ Myron will be pleased! ;D It'll be great to see you again. Jess I'll take you out for duck anytime you come back! Lots of other good places and food here! It's going to be 75 here today, think I'll go to the beach! ;)
JJ

Offline MrHazmat

• Principal Hazardous Material Specialist - DOE
  • Moderate User
  • DragRacing Ain't Nothing Like It!!!!!!
« Reply #65 on: Jan 05, 2005, 09:16 »
I would bring you some JJ, heading to FL Friday morning, but I be on the east coast.

Hoping to win BIG on the Sterling Casino boat.
Keeping our highways safe for over 40 years

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #66 on: Jan 05, 2005, 05:48 »
I would bring you some JJ, heading to FL Friday morning, but I be on the east coast.

Hoping to win BIG on the Sterling Casino boat.

Nice, so where are you taking me for dinner if you win big LOL

Magnawake

« Reply #67 on: Jan 07, 2005, 10:52 »
Hey Everybody,  I'ma headin thata way soon.  Yep, we had a good time last year.  The 40 ft Breezway stunk real good.  Chester said that was the smell of money, ha.  I bought a camper and will be staying at the Longbeach Campground.  Aerosquirl, mail me and I'll tell you the sweet deal on the beach house last year.  We had a carport, not a garage.  It was really exposed to the elements, with all the salt spray.  I have a cherried out 83 Magna 1100 muscle bike I wish I could bring.  Looks like your a harley rider, Cool.  There's a biker chick from Sharon Harris that worked with us last year.  Anyway, I'm looking forward to another great outage.  Night shift was good, maybe I volunteer again.  At least I got a little surfing in before going in to work. 

Jr8black3

« Reply #68 on: Jan 08, 2005, 12:32 »
 I never worked there, but my wife did thru, 1981-1986, if any old road tech's remember Mary Barnhill, She feels ya'lls pain HAHA Just kidding... She made many good friends there working in her home town,, I know she would love to hear from some of them,, just to mention a few Floyd Harris, John Halcolm,Dwayne Allen, Ron Kurts... and many more...

Have a great outrage down there..:) were stuck in Ohiohell...

Kevin & Mary ott

Aerosquirl

« Reply #69 on: Jan 13, 2005, 03:50 »
     Well folks, thanks for all the info  ;D  Sorry hadn't got back here sooner.  I found a great little beach house in Oak Island.  Up on stilts of course, so that lets me keep my bad boy up under something, salt air is bad on anything but nothing that a regular bath won't cure.  I am reporting the 20th of Feb, Sunday, only other place I had to report on a Sunday was VC Summer years ago, whats up with that??? 
    JJ I will be sure to look you up when I get there, but then I'll probably be easier to find than you will.  Not many of us females ridin and I'll be on mine every chance I get.  8)
    Magna, mine is a 95 Softtail Springer Bad Boy.  Designed after the Cafe' racers HD put out many years ago. Not many of em around and they were only built 95-98.

jjordan

« Reply #70 on: Mar 20, 2005, 05:23 »
Well we're about halfway, reload starts tommorow.It seems to be going fairly well, but we won't make our dose goal. Higher than expected dose rates and quite a bit of real high dose emergent work. But we still have ICE CREAM
JJ ;D

radgal

« Reply #71 on: Mar 21, 2005, 10:29 »
Miss that icecream I do!   :'(

Offline biloxoi blues

• Moderate User
  • Engineer (self proclaimed)
« Reply #72 on: Mar 21, 2005, 11:23 »
First of all the house techs and house supervisors are great and they get better with age.  Brunswick is a great place to work and a great place to visit.  It stinks that the feeding frenzies have stop but we still do have the ice cream.  If the upper supervision takes that away then we will have serious problems.   If you dont want to make a load of money then Brunswick is the place to go.  People are friendly and the work load is not too bad.  (unless your in the turbine)  The one bad thing about Brunswick is whoever is negotiating the contract for  the ROAD TECHS is non existent.   We use to get two hundred in and two hundred out  cap.    Now with the great negotiating (we now get 40.5 cents per mile)  we get 300 dollars TOTAL for in and out.  So needless to say if unless you live fairly close to Southport you max out real quick so there are alot of people like myself who now get a hundred dollars less than in previous years.  Also 21 dollars and 85 per day seems a little low into days market, but I do understand I accepted that no gripes.  Just please whoever is doing the negotiating please think about the road techs once in a while and not yourself.    Take care  JJ and keeps those cameras rolling.   PS  Stay away from the RB people they are spreading the sickness

radgal

« Reply #73 on: Mar 21, 2005, 01:13 »
The RB crew are Excellent Techs!  (inside joke if ya worked there)

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
  • I was liberal as a youth then I had to pay taxes..
« Reply #74 on: Mar 21, 2005, 01:25 »
...We use to get two hundred in and two hundred out  cap.    Now with the great negotiating (we now get 40.5 cents per mile)  we get 300 dollars TOTAL for in and out...

I've been staffing the Progress Energy (formerly CP&L-Brunswick, Robinson, and Harris) since the early 90's(Crystal River joined the pack in the elate 90's) and I don't recall a "two hundred in & two hundred out" cap - I did some digg'n and this is what i came up with...
this is just a clarification, not a justification
...over 5 yrs ago it was 18.5 cents/mile up to $100 in and $100 out.  just over a year ago it was 20.5 cents/mile up to $125 in and $125 out.  Now its 40.5 cents/mile up to $300 total, you can max it all in or spread it between in and out.   

If it were up to me as a recruiter I'd pay the highest possible travel pay I could.  After all the lower the travel (and other rates) the less likely individuals will work those sites or even worse stay in the business.  As stated before I'm not justifying the rate, I'm just showing that it actually went up, not down.   

Eric
The opinions & views expressed by me are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of the company.

vikingfan

« Reply #75 on: Mar 21, 2005, 02:21 »
Eric, while you may not be involved in the bottom line in relation to the contracts my question is this .Why is there different perdiem rates for HP's v.s. decon? when the last time I checked they are paying the same rate at the local hotels. so why is there a different rate if the cost of living is the same?l

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
  • I was liberal as a youth then I had to pay taxes..
« Reply #76 on: Mar 21, 2005, 02:52 »
Eric, while you may not be involved in the bottom line in relation to the contracts my question is this .Why is there different perdiem rates for HP's v.s. decon? when the last time I checked they are paying the same rate at the local hotels. so why is there a different rate if the cost of living is the same?l

I've been asking the same question since I started back in '89.   Never had an answer to that question that I liked.  So to answer your question, I don't know.  I think you all know where I stand on this issue.  The problem is its not up to me, its up to each and every buyer/purchasing agent for the utilities.

Eric
The opinions & views expressed by me are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of the company.

jjordan

« Reply #77 on: Mar 23, 2005, 09:12 »
Biloxi,
It was good to see you again! Thanks for all of your hard work in the well! You and your brother are always welcome. Bring your bowl and spoon, cause they can't take the ice cream because I buy it!!!!  :PWe missed ya Rad Gal. We're starting to wind down and people are leaving, still a bit to do though. We are missing another pin and stellite roller, we'll have to look and that will take a little time, will keep you posted!
JJ ;D

scrub

« Reply #78 on: Jan 16, 2006, 08:08 »
For the upcoming outage please consider the following local flavors...

Quick and easy

Bella Pizza
New York style pizza, subs, and dinners to go.

Sit down

Bella Cucina

Both are located in the shopping plaza next to the Hampton Inn.  I spun pizza at Bella part time when I first got into town.  

Mention this post on nukeworker to Bella pizza and get fountain drinks or ice tea on the house.
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2006, 08:09 by scrub »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #79 on: Jan 16, 2006, 08:26 »
Provisions in Southport was awesome when I used to work there back in '99.  They filmed part of "I know what you did last summer" close to that restaurant.  A little hole in the wall right on the dock, but man did it have flavor and character.  Good food.  Thai Peppers in Southport was good too.  I used to eat at Henry's in Wilmington and it was good for a homoginized type of place.  Maybe they aren't there anymore...sniffle.

Offline nuke_girl

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #80 on: Mar 17, 2006, 09:37 »
Jess Jenn...amen to the 70 foot drama team and her minions...the Rp staff is great !! the deconners are overworked...and no ice cream..lolol but i got a place on the beach with great neighbors so it was worth it lolol
It is better to light one small candle..than to curse the darkness

LaFeet

« Reply #81 on: Mar 17, 2006, 08:15 »
Seems to me I need to start a list of who to avoid when I start hitting the different plants.  As well as who I might need to cook for  ;)

LaFeet

« Reply #82 on: Mar 20, 2006, 03:42 »
I am hoping to try and get in down there some day soon

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #83 on: Apr 08, 2006, 08:20 »
Always enjoy BSEP. And its characters, right JJ.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Cathy

« Reply #84 on: Apr 08, 2006, 07:10 »
Just finished an excellent outage there. I was treated very well. I would not hesitate going back for their next outage. And due to the "ice cream man" I now have several new favorite ice cream flavors. He kept us well stocked for the outage.

LaFeet

« Reply #85 on: Apr 08, 2006, 11:09 »
I have heard about the ice cream ventures.. but I have not yet managed to sneak into this one - yet.  Hope to soon, sounds great ;D

jjordan

« Reply #86 on: Apr 13, 2006, 10:59 »
LaFeet,
If and when you come, you can cook for all of us! We kinda take turns. This outage I made some spaghetti once, and some hot beef dip another time. We had some swedish techs this outge, and Madelene made us some swedish meatballs. Someone else made some jambayla on my night off (rats!) This is the only site I know where HP's have a full kitchen, and we have about 6 or 7 killer cooks on the house staff! On your resume don't forget to add all of your cullinary specialties! And if you can't cook, you can always help me with the ice cream! It's getting real expensive since they've discovered klondike bars!
JJ 8)

jjordan

« Reply #87 on: Apr 13, 2006, 11:07 »
Cathy,
It was good to have you, sorry you had to do the exit point. That was and still is painfull. We hope to have that fixed  before summer.You should have been here 2 or 3 years ago, when things were going smooth, it was awsome. We've hit a few speed bumps along the path to success. I'm hoping we'll smooth them out too. This is a great plant to work, even when its messed up here, it's still a lot better than most other places. I have to keep reminding myself, because I've gotten a wee bit spoiled! Hope to see everyone next spring! ;D
JJ

jjordan

Union Organization at Brunswick
« Reply #88 on: Sep 06, 2006, 03:13 »
It's been several months now since the IBEW has started an attempt to organize the Progress energy employees here at Brunswick. I haven't seen anything on here either pro or con. ??? I was kind of wondering how everybody feels about union contracts. Management is stating that it will adversly affect our performance. I really don't think that is a valid argument due to the fact that most of the plants rated higher than us have union contracts in place. It could be a matter of simple math, 80% of all nukes are union, so it would stand to reason that 80% of the better rated plants would be union also. Any thoughts or comments would be most welcome, even if you are from another site , union or not! 8) I'll start a poll to see if there is a silent majority or not!
Thanks,
JJ ;)

jjordan

Union Contracts
« Reply #89 on: Sep 06, 2006, 03:19 »
The IBEW is trying to organize all of theProgress Energy employees at Brunswickand Shearon Harris. We are wondering how the population feels about unions, since they seem to be a new and misunderstood concept to the Progress Energy workers.
Thanks for your opinion and vote!
JJ :P
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2006, 08:49 by JJordan »

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
Re: Union Contracts
« Reply #90 on: Sep 06, 2006, 03:31 »
[The IBEW is trying to organize the workers at Brunswick. We are wondering how the population feels about unions

Which workers are they trying to organize?
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Re: Union Organization at Brunswick
« Reply #91 on: Sep 06, 2006, 03:52 »
I'm not going to advise you whether to vote for or against a union.  That choice depends on so many things, about which I am totally uninformed that I couldn't give informed advice.
But here's what I know from having been in your place before.  Take it for what it's worth.
1.  The union will expend resources proportional to their chance of getting a favorable vote.  If it looks like they are going to lose, they are going to cut back on the time and money they can spend to organize you.
2.  Management will tell you a lot of things about the union that are not true.
3.  THe union will tell you a lot of things about the management that are not true.
4.  Both sides will make promises that they can't keep.
5.  Both sides will make predictions about what the other side is going to do next.  Usually, they are correct.
6.  Both sides are going to accuse the other of violating the FLSA.
7.  Both sides will probably violate the FLSA numerous times.
8.  The union will tell you that you will make more money and get better benefits if you join.
9.  The company is probably already paying you as much as they are ever going to.
10.  Even though number 9 may be true, they don't have to keep paying you the wages and benefits you are getting now, and there is nothing stopping them from taking it away unless you get a contract.
11. Joining the union is the only way to get a contract.
12.  Joining the union does not automatically get you a contract, nor does it guarantee what the contract will contain.
13.  The union is going to make your bosses (some of whom are your friends) out to be a bunch of thieves living high off your labors.
14.  The bosses are going to make the union out to be some kind of organized crime syndicate, squeezing you for your money.
15.  Management will tell you that the union is an uninvolved third party who has no business meddling in the affairs between you and them, and that they will just make things more complicated and difficult.
16.  Management belongs to INPO, WANO, EPRI, NEI, NANT, MANTG, and a host of other organizations who tell them every day how to run every aspect of their business - right down to how much they should pay you.
17.  Both sides will try to make the other seem like a faceless entity which lives afar and governs in absentia.
18.  The reality is that the company is you and the managment you already know, and the union is you and your co-workers.  Both sides can and will reach outside the local "community" for resources if they have to.

You have to consider a lot of things.  Are you a relatively small company (compared to Exelon, Entergy.. etc.) who is ripe for takeover by a bigger company?  If so, they may want to come in and clean house.  They may drastically change your job descriptions, pay scales, benefits package, pensions, an so on.  In that case, a union affiliation may not be to protect you from your present management, but from the ones who come in and kick them out of their chairs.
« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2006, 03:52 by BeerCourt »
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

alphadude

« Reply #92 on: Sep 06, 2006, 04:41 »
look at crystal river, you will get what they get since they are part of the same company.  the problem we had there is that nuke was a small part of the union so we never got much. all of our concerns never made it to the table. however, the union can stop the problem that management will always have of trying to do what ever it takes to get the job done.  with a contract you are bound by agreements. you have to look at it from that perspective..

jjordan

« Reply #93 on: Sep 06, 2006, 05:21 »
At the present they are trying to organize all Progress Energy employees.

Offline TENN-1

• Moderate User
  • Finished the 5 year plan in only 34!
« Reply #94 on: Sep 06, 2006, 06:22 »
The RP Technicians at Cook just voted to organize under the IBEW monogram. So far it's been pretty transparent, but then we don't have a contract yet either. The positive vote for the union was not a landslide and it passed on the third attempt in recent years. The reasons for or against are as individual as the people who voted. There was no one big reason. That being said, we are paid very well for what we do and most technicians did not vote based on greed but instead on application and fairness. We also had a history with our Maintenance Department. After a many years of struggling with management, they voted for the IBEW, and although all problems have not been solved, they seem satisfied on most issues.  It is not an easy decision but can be done without animosity and grief. Good Luck with either path you choose.
Things come to those who wait, but usually it's stuff left over from those who hustle!

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #95 on: Sep 06, 2006, 10:00 »
never bin in a union, but eye werked at quite a few shops that were.  union contracts are as good as the people in the union.   good people, good unions, good contracts.  the inverse holds too.  it all depends on watt the peeple wanna due with their doos.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #96 on: Sep 07, 2006, 12:26 »
Beer Court pretty much nailed the details on this one (although as a member of MANTG I must have missed the sub-committee meetings on how much to pay employees.) When Constellation (BGE) was being targeted by the IBEW just about all of Beer Court's 18 items came true. The one thing that unions are guaranteed to do is remove any flexibility you have... flexible work schedules and supervisor discretion are usually the first casualities. Based purely on (highly unscientific) observation and personal comparison I have come to the conclusion that unions make things more difficult for both workers and management. Sometimes the benefits are worth the difficulties, depending on how bad or good the circumstances are before the union gets there. I was happy to be in a 'management' position (how the entire IT group was management is still a mystery to me) and not subject to the pressures either from the utility or the union when the vote came up and also not personally responsible for the outcome of the vote (since I was excluded from voting.)

Having worked in multiple union and non-union plants, I think I have seen generally happier people in the non-union plants (also very unscientifically generated data) but there have been exceptions. The people at Kewaunee in 1976 were some of the nicest, friendliest people I ever worked with and they were union. I had to sign a union card and pay dues to work at Clinton, but over the course of the outage I much more than made up for the cost of joining in doubletime pay.

The bottom line is that if you go union the only group GUARANTEED to make a profit off of it is... the union. Whether or not they earn it is up to them and the utility negotiators. Another thing to consider is that a lot of money from union dues goes to support politicians that support the unions, and that may or may not agree with your political opinions. You could help elect people you vote against. Good Luck.
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2006, 12:30 by RDTroja »
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #97 on: Sep 07, 2006, 01:13 »
My experience with unions has been that the oldest guys with most seniority will be the loudest squawkers who just want to sit on their Spaldings all day while everybody else does all the work. Then, the guys with the least amount of seniority are backbiting each other over the leftvover scraps ( shift preference, crew, vacation, outage lead jobs, etc.)  Things can get ugly pretty fast.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #98 on: Sep 07, 2006, 10:27 »
I worked at burnswick from 97-00 and  worked at Salem (union) from 00-02.  I liked working bettet at brunswick than Salem.  much of that did have to do with the union, especially poorly run departments and forced overtime problems.  I'd rather work at non-union.  If you'ld like me to elaborate, say the word.

scrub

« Reply #99 on: Sep 07, 2006, 01:16 »
Being a new guy, I'd hate for my pay to be cut back due to my lack of time in rate.  I have heard of this happening at other plants after organizing.  The contract had a new pay scale that dropped pay for newer employees.

We'll see what happens.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #100 on: Sep 07, 2006, 01:20 »
wrong word

jjordan

« Reply #101 on: Sep 07, 2006, 03:09 »
scrub, what plant are you reffering to? I hate to break it to you, but when I started as a house tech with about 15 yrs experience, I was paid 88% of a topped out Sr HP. It took me almost 6 years to get to 100%. This was without a union. I've already stated that 80% of all nukes were union. The only ones that have organized lately would be VC Summer, they voted the union back out. and DC Cook, which they haven't ratified a contract yet. I'll check on that though. I was curious to wich plant was rumored to have done this.
JJ

alphadude

« Reply #102 on: Sep 07, 2006, 04:06 »
that is a major advantage to union- every body gets trained equally and has the same chance for advancement to the next pay level.  golfing friends are not advanced because of the local managers whims-its a level playing field.  If you are qualified, senior you get the job. You can get passed by in a non-union plant.

while at Duke each tech got different pay rates - your lower pay rate helped pay another tech a high rate even though you were performing the same work- it takes the social club out of the pay scale.  at least with a union plant you know the rules- no secret files, no favorites, training is equal and pay grades are stable. (when you see pay ranges - beware)

now if you are a suck up golfer that goes to the same church as your boss- don't vote in the union!  its the southern way!!!

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #103 on: Sep 07, 2006, 05:06 »
A union would level the playing field for wages, but Southerners have a negative stigma concerning unions and probably always will. Must have been that little scuffle in 1860, huh.

scrub

« Reply #104 on: Sep 07, 2006, 07:41 »
scrub, what plant are you reffering to? I hate to break it to you, but when I started as a house tech with about 15 yrs experience, I was paid 88% of a topped out Sr HP. It took me almost 6 years to get to 100%. This was without a union. I've already stated that 80% of all nukes were union. The only ones that have organized lately would be VC Summer, they voted the union back out. and DC Cook, which they haven't ratified a contract yet. I'll check on that though. I was curious to wich plant was rumored to have done this.
JJ

Not too sure.  The story (which it may very well be a story) was an oversight in the new contract.  The scale was changed to X% pay for X amount of years of service.  Well some folks were above the percentage of scale without having the "new" required time in rate per the contract.  So those folks got a pay cut to balance their pay level to their years of service.  It just so happened to be new hires/low seniority that took the hit.

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #105 on: Sep 07, 2006, 09:43 »
JJ, I put in for a house tech job at a union plant and was told that my pay would be the same as someone coming out of school to start even with 20 years experience because of the union contract. I worked at a union plant before I got in the nuke business and was never really impressed. The stewards and management scratched each other's backs and all we really got was job security which you could be a slug and get fired only to file a grievance and come back to work two months later with back pay. Also with your shared resources you would have the same techs getting to go to other outages kinda like at Crystal River. Not saying union is all bad because it does do away with the gool ole boy promotions and cover ups like we know PE is famous for.    :) WWMD  8)

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #106 on: Sep 08, 2006, 08:34 »
First let me say that as a career military type I have little experience with unions but that being said it has been almost all negitive, of course I see it from the end point as a customer not a member.  Let me list a few examples:
1) Every union shipyard I have ever been in/worked with has been more expensive, gotten less work done per time frame, and very less responsive to changes and problems.  One positive though was they tended to have more stability in thier work force unfortunatly this never translated into better or more timely work.
2) Ever have to work with civil service?? They are uniion too and while there are some good one most IMHO are not worth the cost we pay as tax payers to keep them employed. Ever see one get fired for incompetence, almost never happens cause it is next to impossible!

Looking in from the outside I see Unions as killing the opportuniuties for what we in the service call "Hot Runners".  They are the 5-10% that are better workers who will always excell above thier peers.  To me unions hold them back for sake of protecting these other 90-95%, in short if I out perform you then I should pass you up even if you have more time with a company.
Do'nt get me worng I think there are probably some good thing about unions, I am likely not in a position to see them, but they are socialistic in thier most basic (IMHO) form which in contrast to many of the concepts of captialism and democarcy.  (ok I am sure this will be painful but fire away)
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

jjordan

« Reply #107 on: Sep 08, 2006, 10:15 »
Oh , so many posts, so little time! :o I think the most important thing a union would bring would be the right of due process! 8) Yes I have seen unions use and or abuse this to protect substandard workers. This is not the unions fault, this is managements fault.There are ways to terminate substandard employees with senority. You just have to follow the ruledeliniated by the contract that everyone votes on and acepts, management and workers! ;) The problem seems to me, to be , you also have substandard supervision that doesn't want to do the work neccessary to make this happen. They find it much easier to blame the union. (but I have a warped point of perspective here, I've been both a shop steward, and supervision in a very stron union enviroment) More to come later!
Thanks,
JJ :P

Fermi2

« Reply #108 on: Sep 08, 2006, 10:24 »
Ok a Union can NEVER hold back a hot runner from being promoted to supervisor or management because these are usually non union positions and selection criteria have nothing to do with the contract.

I'm pretty sure Carolina Jethro meant good old boy promotions to other Union Positions because any promotion outside the Union is beyond the Unions Scope.

Mike

Offline Mike_Koehler

• Heavy User
  • I love nukeworker.com!!!!
« Reply #109 on: Sep 08, 2006, 11:16 »
I have had 1 positive experience and 3 negative experiences with being in severeal unions. The lone positive was Commercial Nuke and was due in large part to the elected union officers being straight shooters and not forgetting who they are/were. All 3 negatives have involved work at a DOE facility with 4 different employers..... I was a shop steward at one time at this DOE facility and that experience was enough to bias me greatly against this particular union.                      To summarize:
1 Unions can do good things for workers stability and benefits
2 Unions can protect your job if you make a mistake

The above 2 are true with the right union leadership

3 Unions do use some of "your money" for their operating expenses
4 Unions can promote an attitude of worker sloth and indifference because all promotions and lay offs are seniority based
5 Unions can protect individuals who should not be protected making more work for those who really put in effort.

The bottom 3 are true when the Union leadership has forgotten where they came from.

With all that said what I would advise is to look at the most "political" Tech at my plant and decide if I would want that individual representing my opinion to management and vote accordingly.

Mike
"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented
  immigrant" is like calling a drug
  dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist."
unknown
"If you seal the borders and you stop giving federal benefits to people who are in the country illegally... many of them will simply go home."
Lou Barletta, Mayor of Hazelton, Pa.

Offline Mike_Koehler

• Heavy User
« Reply #110 on: Sep 08, 2006, 11:22 »
It would depend on the circumstances.....I am currently union with IBEW but had no choice..... (except maybe not to accept the offered job). If I had to vote at a Commercial Nuke right now, I would probably vote yes.

Mike
unknown
"If you seal the borders and you stop giving federal benefits to people who are in the country illegally... many of them will simply go home."

alphadude

« Reply #111 on: Sep 08, 2006, 12:44 »
hot runners will always move up... good work does not go unrewarded..

just because you are in a union does not mean you are brain dead...its just another method.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #112 on: Sep 08, 2006, 06:49 »
This is coming from the point of view of an almost 22 year union member so I will admit prejudice up front on the subject.  If they're trying to organize all I think that improves your position at the table.  I have a neighbor who works in an industrial setting who said that the a Union tried to organize them about 5 years ago and he was adamant against it because he believed the hype put forth by the company against the union.  He said that if he can ever get them to try again he'll help lead the charge because of the lies and broken promises experienced after the union was voted out.

My personal feeling is that it is overall a benefit to the workers covered. 
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #113 on: Sep 08, 2006, 07:49 »
It sounds like 1990 all  over again.
I did walk back then and was a strong supporter,but I dont think you will ever get the tech's to do that again.
You can't even get 2 techs to agree on a dose rate even.
Everybody only worried about themselves,we are a self centered bunch of HP'S and no one can say we arn't
The old saying again THERE'S NO I IN TEAM
there's also NO WE EITHER!
GOOD LUCK with that again

This topic is an extension of (http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,8889.0.html), and is not talking about Road Techs not sticking together on a wildcat strike.  I understand that the initial post is a little vague, but please try to keep this topic very specific and focused.  There are MANY posts already started about the contractor’s ill fated attempts at unionizing in the 70's, 80's, and 90's.  This thread isn’t about what you think OTHERS will do, just what YOU would do.  And why.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2006, 07:54 by Rennhack »

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #114 on: Sep 08, 2006, 08:37 »
I'm pretty sure Carolina Jethro meant good old boy promotions to other Union Positions because any promotion outside the Union is beyond the Unions Scope.

I was talking about promotions in a non- union plant. One thing I will add in reference to the union stewards and this is outside of nuclear power that this happened. Management wanted to get rid of bonus program we had and union stewards convinced us to agree to sell it to them... told us it was the best thing to do to keep company competitive. After the vote all the union stewards got placed in management positions. After a year of waiting for our check for our bonus program the plant's operation was moved and we got the can while the stewards that had been promoted got to transfer.Never did see that check. Kinda leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Lesson learned... don't trust management or unions!

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #115 on: Sep 08, 2006, 08:45 »
I would at Harris and Robinson... but would have to think about it at Brunswick. WWMD
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2006, 08:46 by Carolina Jethro »

Fermi2

« Reply #116 on: Sep 08, 2006, 09:01 »
OK Carolina Jethro! Thanks for the clarification. I just wanted to make sure that those who have no experience with Unions do realize Management can promote supervisors without regards to what the union thinks so the good ole boy network is still utilized at some places.

Mike

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #117 on: Sep 08, 2006, 09:47 »
re: promoting union people to management.  this is not always the best thing, and a lot of union people will turn down the offer.  when you go management, you lose the union contract and only have your contract, if available, to stand on.  you are the new kid on the management block, and when downsizing comes, you are the first out the door.  then, your resume is not very deep in the management area and other management jobs are harder to obtain.  some unions will not let you keep your card current while in a management position, so returning to the trenches may not be an option either.

M1Ark

« Reply #118 on: Sep 09, 2006, 03:32 »
I think you need to have a union at a nuke plant to help stabilize the work environment and help set some groundrules for basic management principles.  Having said that I am glad to no longer be in a union.  Unions are another layer of 'management' that has an ability to help or hinder your cause because they are run by people.  For every benefit to a union there is a hindrance.  My last year in the union management wanted to give operators $6k/year bonus because we were losing too many operators to other parts of the company.  The union turned it down because the union felt management had to give it to everybody and wanted to negotiate it.  The company said 'never mind' and needless to say - I was furious.  The union never asked us what the operators view was on this.  They could have said yes and then grieved it at a later time and got money for all.  They could have also lost the grievance but at least a portion of their constituents could have benefitted as a worse case scenario.  Just one example of many union snafus.  As much as we complain of management not knowing how to manage the same can be said for union management.  I am now in a management position and benefit from union wages and union benefits without dealing with the union garbage. Again, I believe in the unions and enforce the labor contract like I would any procedure on site because the viability of the union benefits my bottom line.  The job stewards and union leadership by and large do not receive any leadership training.  From my observation they make their decisions based on the current popular vote and sometimes shoot themselves in the foot because of it.  Management does this as well but they can get replaced and then their ideas can be taken back and replaced with what's right.  The union operates under the premise of 'past precedence' as a guiding principle.  So some stupid ideas can linger on for years.
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2006, 03:42 by M1Ark »

jjordan

« Reply #119 on: Sep 09, 2006, 08:30 »
 M1Ark,
Unions are another layer of 'management' that has an ability to help or hinder your cause because they are run by people.
You are one of thoose people, if you the "union" adopt a policiy in your contract that hinders you. Something is very wrong, and you need to change it by due process. Yes it is run by people and they are human, subject to the same tendencies as management, so when electing union officials, you need to be carefull to select the best individuals you can. Again if you find you've made a wrong selection, change it. Learn from your mistakes and go on.
My last year in the union management wanted to give operators $6k/year bonus
Rule #1 always, alway, always take the money. It's admirable that the union wanted to bless everyone with the 6K, but this would be a big chunk of change for the company, and they felt that it wasn't warented for everyone. They were trying possibly to adjust substandard wages for there operators, and the union should have accomadated them. You as a member, should have insisted on a meeting and a vote to modify the contract to allow this, and then try to get some extra for some of the other members. Maybe not 6K, but they had the candy store open, and a few pieces is better than none!
The job stewards and union leadership by and large do not receive any leadership training.
Again this is the fault of the union, this is some of what your dues are for, if you don't have enough money for training, you need to raise the dues a little bit. The union I was and still am a member of, offer me thousands of $'s of training annualy for free, and I took every bit of it! (See rule #1)
From my observation they make their decisions based on the current popular vote
  I hope this is always true , because this is how a union is supposed to work, the majority rules! Sometimes union officials make decisions based on personal prefferances, and this is when they needs to be replaced. All important decisions should come to a vote, if you don't vote , you have no say so don't complain, accept the fact you didn't do your part. Again, if you find it wasn't the correct decision vote again and change it![/quote]The union operates under the premise of 'past precedence' as a guiding principle.  So some stupid ideas can linger on for years.[/quote]It's easier to operate with past precedence than establishing a new precedence. I would hope that your union official ony use past precedence when it is beneficial to the group, and work to establish a new precedence if warranted. Gee this is almost exacty how the US legal system operates. Oh, and the unions are supposedly based on the principals of democracy, 1 person, 1 vote. Majority rules, don't vote, don't whine! If you don't pay, you don't play! (Right to work States) M1Ark, hope you don't think, I'm bashing you, cause I'm not, more like the union you used to belong to. I'm glad to see that you recognize the financial advantage it also affords to management, wish you were here at my plant, we could work together and get a lot of things done to benefit everyone! Thanks for your comments, keep them comming!
JJ
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2006, 08:40 by JJordan »

jjordan

« Reply #120 on: Sep 09, 2006, 05:11 »
Well we here have 3 classes of HP's Tech 1, 2, and 3, 1 being the highest, so management would have a little control here. Depending on what level of slot they post. As I said, I came here as a tech 1 at 88% of scale. My supervisor assured me he would bring me up fast! It only took 6 years. Maybe I should have had it in writing, like maybe a contract. The union will stipulate how much and for how long in the contract, it will be the same for everybody. The plant managers nephew won't get a break, thats every bit as fair as the deal I got. You know right up front what you are signing for, if you don't like it, stay where you are. It's the same for mechanics, Ops, I&C, ect. I think it's a better system, but I'm just whinning cause I know CP&L hired 5 other techs that day and some got more than I did. Wait maybe some got less too? I'm so confused! :P
Thanks,
JJ
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2006, 09:01 by JJordan »

jjordan

« Reply #121 on: Sep 09, 2006, 08:54 »
Jethro,
Why Harris, and Robinson, and not Brunswick? It has changed here, it's not like you remember. :( WWMD, He signed a card! ;)

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #122 on: Sep 09, 2006, 11:15 »
Jethro,
Why Harris, and Robinson, and not Brunswick? It has changed here, it's not like you remember. :( WWMD, He signed a card! ;)

Hate to hear that... Brunswick was a great place... but I reckon it was only a matter of time before intimidation and fear replaced trust and stability... like at previous mentioned plants. Good Luck!

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #123 on: Oct 10, 2006, 03:03 »
Paul E, you will like it.

Offline Dream Tar Heel

• Dulce Periculum
  • Moderate User
  • Never Happy Until Happy With Yourself!
« Reply #124 on: Oct 14, 2006, 11:33 »
You can also stay in Shallotte and take the helicopter to work everyday.
I NEVER KNEW LOVE, I JUST KNOW THE SOUND IT MAKES WHEN IT LIES!

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #125 on: Oct 16, 2006, 03:11 »
Or live on the island like Gilligan.

dsass

« Reply #126 on: Dec 01, 2006, 06:20 »
Just wanted to add that I have been going to Brunswick for the last few outages, and I like the way we are treated.  People there are always nice, your treated just like a house person, and the ice cream was great too!!!!  I'm going back for the next outage, and unless things get really bad like they did years ago, I consider this one of the outages I do ever year.

Deb

vikingfan

« Reply #127 on: Dec 01, 2006, 08:07 »
     i can say that both times i was at brunswick I was treated very good. was there in 92 when the start up source was cut up..oops lots of alpha !! and returned again in the spring 2005. I was assigned to the refuel floor and we had a feast it seemed like at least once a week plus the vast amount of ice cream that JJ makes sure is available to all who want some. Overall great people and nice plant to work at, and staying on the beach for a reasonable amount is pretty nice too !!

nukewood

« Reply #128 on: Dec 01, 2006, 09:32 »
The pay is still too low, and I will complain about it but probably show up for the next outage . The staff is great to work with and after a Winter in Idaho Falls, Oak Island is a dream, even in March. Save me some chocolate, J.J.

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #129 on: Dec 02, 2006, 01:42 »
next visit I want to request some of the ben and jerrys ice cream bars....Ill put extra in the donations bucket!

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
« Reply #130 on: Dec 03, 2006, 05:55 »
Brunswick has gone through the cycles of change, very bad (1970's) then improved in the 1990's. It has recently lost some of the better supervisors so the environment at the plant may be changing again. The weekend meals for the HPs stopped 3 outages ago and now the ice cream is a thing of the past as well. The pay rates for Progress Energy have not made any progress and are now on par with Duke Power at the VERY low end of the scale. Yet the utility wonders why the percentage of returnees is so low.
The plant still has a number of good people and the area is nice, however when it comes down to $$ and sense it is getting tougher to return when there are so many other plants that pay better.

jjordan

« Reply #131 on: Dec 04, 2006, 12:01 »
Times are changing, we hope to be union before the next outage. 8) I haven't bought Ice Cream for a while. I took a beating for over 6 years, with no assistance from management! :'( They have been buying a little bit here and there. Wonder if it has anything to do with the IBEW? ??? Naw, it couldn't be. Just a coincedence! I don't know how this will affect your pay, I've been telling them how low it's been since I was a contractor, they never listened. They're listening now! We have excellent techs here but we can't do it alone. We need ya'll, and I see fewer and fewer returnees. Guess they have to learn the hard way. Sorry about that. I'm doing all I can. It's still a pretty good place though.
JJ ;)

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #132 on: Dec 04, 2006, 05:03 »
Hang in there JJ, things will get better, they have to.

jjordan

« Reply #133 on: Dec 07, 2006, 09:44 »
Spanky,
I hope you're comming to our outage this spring! I hope a lot of our friends will be comming! I'm not one to just hang. If I don't like something, I try to change it. Check out the www.pgnunion.com site, it's new and we'll improve it daily. Let me know what you think, and if you have any suggestions. I'm open for some constuctive criticisim.
Thanks,
JJ 8)

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #134 on: Dec 08, 2006, 01:06 »
JJ
Website looks good - wish ours was as good here at VY. Good luck organizing in the Carolinas...

J Ewell
VY - Local 300
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Mike_Koehler

• Heavy User
« Reply #135 on: Dec 08, 2006, 10:32 »
JJ,

Wish I could see your website....... Tried to go to it from the link and got directed to a "this website doesn't exist page" !! You know the pages that say "you nitwit, what are you really looking for?" I'll try again later.
unknown

jjordan

« Reply #136 on: Dec 09, 2006, 01:35 »
Thanks everyone for the comments and best wishes! ;) Mike try the link again. I just did and it works for me. We are going to try to do a lot to it this weekend. It's painfull, because I've never done this before, and I don't have time to lear, so I'm just gonna wing it! 8)

Offline rocknrollrick

• Moderate User
  • PAYING THE COST TO BE THE BOSS!!!!!
« Reply #137 on: Dec 09, 2006, 02:14 »
Hey Double J,

Just thought I would say hey :) I missed last outage was at Fermi but I'm hoping to return to do Brunswick and Robinson.  :P Hopefully you can remember who this is was on night shift 2 years ago. Well hope you have a great holiday season look forward to seeind you sometime in late February ;D
Early to bed, 13 hours on nights, makes you tired, wealthy and a night crawler!!!!

jjordan

« Reply #138 on: Dec 11, 2006, 12:54 »
Rick, I remember! 8) It's not quite the same here, hope that won't change your mind. I'm real dissapointed in the numbers I see here. I remember when mike first started the poll we were real solid. I see we are somewhere about mediocre at best. That's a sorry state of affair for a plant that is in an awsome location. I hope it wasn't anything I've done. :(
JJ
« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2006, 12:57 by JJordan »

Offline Mike_Koehler

• Heavy User
« Reply #139 on: Dec 11, 2006, 05:14 »
Must have been the computer Nazi's at work...... got home and all was ok.....
unknown

temery

« Reply #140 on: Jan 13, 2007, 06:10 »
thanks

jjordan

« Reply #141 on: Jan 28, 2007, 08:33 »
Well, here we go again! We are ramping up for our spring outage. It's starting March 3rd, goal is 26 days. We already have some contractors on site. First time we brought them in this early. We need them, because the rest of the craft are all over the plant like an army of ants. This week we are having cycle trainig for about 8 of our house people.The Bartlett techs are gonna earn their keep this week. We are still waiting for the NLRB to make a decision on when we will vote, and if we are to include Harris and Robinson. The IBEW attornies don't think they will be included, neither do I. They shouldn't be, but they have a right to form a union of their own. I hope they do also. The NRLB have had the briefs, which is the last step in the hearing process since Nov. 30. That's almost 2 months. We should hear any day now. Hopefully the election will happen before the Robinson outage so everyone will be able to vote. we are supposed to be fully staffed, but it's early yet, some will probably change their minds. See ya'll when you get here! ;D
JJ

fonz94

« Reply #142 on: Feb 16, 2007, 05:23 »
Well the news is not good for the IBEW.  Progress Energy won this round, and will keep on winning if we do not get together as one.  We need to all unite.  This includes all generation plants and transmission workers.  Then Progress Energy will have to deal with us.  This is not a knock out blow!!!

Offline Mike_Koehler

• Heavy User
« Reply #143 on: Feb 16, 2007, 05:48 »
What happened that is not good news????

Mike
unknown

jjordan

« Reply #144 on: Feb 16, 2007, 06:00 »
Mike, the NLRB ruled in favor of the company. they have determined that Brunswick is not an appropriate bargining unit. We will have to vote as a fleet.Time for Harris and Robinson to step up to the plate. This is just a momentary setback. They are maniding their manners and playing it real straight for now. I don't know if everyone saw it, but Southern and Progress couldn't agree to terms on a merger agreement that remeber they said wasn't happening. They probably wanted too much. They've picked the carcass clean, not much meat left. We've got problems, and southern knows it. They're just now starting to do some much needed repairs and maintenence here. It should be a very interesting outage here.
JJ :-\

rlbinc

« Reply #145 on: Feb 16, 2007, 06:13 »
If you can't say something nice, say nothing at all.
Having worked for PGN, I'll say nothing at all.

jjordan

« Reply #146 on: Feb 16, 2007, 06:23 »
If you can't say something nice, say nothing at all.
Having worked for PGN, I'll say nothing at all.

I used to post all positive things, but that was when it was positive here. I can't do it now, things have changed. I tend to call a spade a spade, with very little sugar coating. I also seem to stay in trouble. I wonder why????
JJ ::)

rlbinc

« Reply #147 on: Feb 16, 2007, 08:00 »
By all means, stay positive.
Never let an employer or a job make you less than happy.
There are plenty of opportunities out there.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
« Reply #148 on: Feb 17, 2007, 01:07 »
Knowing JJ he'd probably rather improve the place than abandon it. 

-Bertrand Russell

jjordan

« Reply #149 on: Feb 17, 2007, 08:24 »
If you're so unhappy at Brunswick, why don't you leave?
Because nothing is forever, and I remember how it was. We have the best group of techs ever assembled under one roof. The rest of the bunch(OPS, Maint, I&C, etc.) Are just as good, and we all get along. We are working to remedy the situation.We will prevail. This was just a little speed bump, not the end of the road.
JJ

fonz94

« Reply #150 on: Feb 17, 2007, 11:49 »
I just found out Progress Energy is really enjoying their victory.  Before I left the office on Friday, one of the Nuclear Operations Managers for Harris was saying how they fought off the IBEW once and for all.  They are also going to try to cut back on outage time, and over-time by changing shifts.  I am not sure how.  Also contractors are going to be used more in the Transmission department during switching for outages.  I think that is a disaster waiting to happen.  I do not know the mood of the workers at Harris, and how they feel about unions.  Does anybody think the other plants will get together and still force a vote?  No ice cream and no fishing at Harris plant anymore.  A real sad day for the workers.  Don't worry we might still get our 2.5% raise, maybe!!!

jjordan

« Reply #151 on: Feb 17, 2007, 01:40 »
I just found out Progress Energy is really enjoying their victory.  Before I left the office on Friday, one of the Nuclear Operations Managers for Harris was saying how they fought off the IBEW once and for all.  They are also going to try to cut back on outage time, and over-time by changing shifts.  I am not sure how.  Also contractors are going to be used more in the Transmission department during switching for outages.  I think that is a disaster waiting to happen.  I do not know the mood of the workers at Harris, and how they feel about unions.  Does anybody think the other plants will get together and still force a vote?  No ice cream and no fishing at Harris plant anymore.  A real sad day for the workers.  Don't worry we might still get our 2.5% raise, maybe!!!
Well fonz94,
Let them enjoy it for the time being, they won a battle, but not the war. At Brunswick, they're playing it a little closer to the vest, as well they should. I'm not sure how they pulled the favorable ruling off, but it is what it is. We still have the right to appeal, in Washington DC. Maybe, it'll get a less biased review outside of their service area. The ruling sets a new precedent, because in the past their have been plants segregated from a utilities fleet for the purpose of a union vote. Now all of a sudden we are all being lumped together. That's fine with me. We've been telling you all to get off of the fence for quite some time. You have most of the same issues. I know you all figured you'ld wait and see how we fared, well you're stuck with us now.Once again management has forced you to do something that maybe you didn't want to do, but it's like that without a contract! Time to roll up yor sleeves and get to work. We need some help from someone from the other sites. There is a web page set up for everyone's use, not just ours. Anyone interested in participating, or just looking for information can message me, or go sign up at www.pgnunion.com It aint over till it's over!
JJ ;)

PS Welcome to my neighborhood! Can you say UNION? Sure you can! ;D

Offline jkj

• Light User
« Reply #152 on: Apr 15, 2007, 10:48 »
Sounds like Brunswick hasn't changed since I Left; or is it the more things change the more they stay the same? It was rough when I was laid-off at X-mas of '97 but now as they say it was one of the best things that could've happened. There were some good techs there though. Good luck with IBEW.  :-X

Offline "E"

• Light User
« Reply #153 on: Apr 15, 2007, 05:38 »
I personally think Brunswick is the best plant I have yet to work at. The house techs. are very friendly and helpful, they treat you like you are part of their team, and last but certainly not least they have a full kitchen.  ;) I miss it !
Writing from sunny Florida (Not so sunny today)
E.

LaFeet

« Reply #154 on: Apr 16, 2007, 04:25 »
LaFeet,
If and when you come, you can cook for all of us! We kinda take turns. This outage I made some spaghetti once, and some hot beef dip another time. We had some swedish techs this outge, and Madelene made us some swedish meatballs. Someone else made some jambayla on my night off (rats!) This is the only site I know where HP's have a full kitchen, and we have about 6 or 7 killer cooks on the house staff! On your resume don't forget to add all of your cullinary specialties! And if you can't cook, you can always help me with the ice cream! It's getting real expensive since they've discovered klondike bars!
JJ 8)

Sorry about the delay in response.... ummmm   okay  no excuses

I would be glad to burn something for youse guys over dare  (just got through reading a post by slo glo)

It does not look like I will have a chance at Brunswick this year  :(

LaFeet

« Reply #155 on: Apr 16, 2007, 10:15 »
thanks

Todd   you need a haircut......  and a beer ;D

jjordan

« Reply #156 on: Jun 26, 2007, 10:42 »
OK folks! Here we go now. Progress Energy in their infinite wisdom has determined that all of the Carolina nukes should be one barganing unit. So on Thursday we will vote to see wethe or not we will become membes of the IBEW. That sounds so much better than "letting the IBEW represent us" Because that is precisely what will happen. When we win, we join. Plain and simple. Results will be know on Friday! Vote YES! 8)
JJ

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #157 on: Jun 29, 2007, 05:37 »
Poor JJ... the result weren't good. The next "outplacing" many people will regret that vote.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2662/story/621307.html

jjordan

« Reply #158 on: Jun 29, 2007, 07:06 »
Well, I did everything i could. results were 499 against the union. 157 for the union. I woild like to thank all of the IBEW for supporting our campaign. I know this is a huge dissapointment to them. hopfully the company learned a litte, I know, I just received a painful lesson. Well it's just like it was, or is it? We'll see, as the turbine turns! :(
JJ

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
« Reply #159 on: Jun 29, 2007, 09:39 »
Sorry to hear that JJ.  Don't you wish you knew what the numbers were just from Brunswick?  I'm sure the company will show their "appreciation" to everyone with great raises and an improved benefits package.  ::)

-Bertrand Russell

jjordan

« Reply #160 on: Jun 30, 2007, 07:14 »
Tom,
Thank you for your support! Unfortunately my co workers aren't ready to make the self sacrafice for the good of the team. That was one of the painfull lessons that I have learned. I will paitently await the time when they again feel the need for a common voice, and will again pick up the pieces and move forward. Thank you to all 700,000 members of the IBEW for your, encouragement and support I can't become a member, but I can and will support your beliefs and cause!
JJ ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2007, 07:16 by JJordan »

jjordan

« Reply #161 on: Jun 30, 2007, 07:35 »
SGT,
You might like to try some of that new fangled ALARA math, it may work here. Divide 3 million, give or take a hundred thousand or two, by 703! The IBEW must be special to inspire a company to waste that much money to maintain absolute control. Funny, we were never looking for money, just some protection and garuntees. Would have been far less out of pocket. Now they can deal with their problem children at will, same as always. It's against company policy for anyone to have any represntation in any disiplinary action. If that isn't stringent enough, they can change it at will, any time they see fit. Now that's fair. Don't worry about JJ. I still carry my union construction card, and i can go out and build some new plants. Don't worry, I'll make them wheel chair accesible for the aging work force! ;D
JJ

Offline jkj

• Light User
« Reply #162 on: Jul 09, 2007, 01:18 »
Because nothing is forever, and I remember how it was. We have the best group of techs ever assembled under one roof. The rest of the bunch(OPS, Maint, I&C, etc.) Are just as good, and we all get along. We are working to remedy the situation.We will prevail. This was just a little speed bump, not the end of the road.
JJ

Like rlbinc says: If ya can't say something nice....", but having worked at and for CP&L for over 13 years, I remember how it was--and I'm glad I left.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #163 on: Jul 09, 2007, 02:18 »
SGT,
You might like to try some of that new fangled ALARA math, it may work here. Divide 3 million, give or take a hundred thousand or two, by 703! The IBEW must be special to inspire a company to waste that much money to maintain absolute control. Funny, we were never looking for money, just some protection and garuntees. Would have been far less out of pocket.

Let me see... $3,000,000 divided by 703 = just over $4,200. Probably about one or two year's average raise to keep control of their company. Cheap... and an easy business decision. You unionize for the protection and guarantees, but the costs to the company are bound to come later. I am not saying it is a good or bad thing, just cheap for the company. I am sorry all of your efforts were to no avail (at least this time.) And don't be too surprised if the company decides to recoup their losses by shortening the employee list (one way or another.)
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

jjordan

« Reply #164 on: Jul 09, 2007, 09:33 »
Rodger,
I'm fully expecting the work force reduction. Twas a concious decision I made when this all started. That's not a real problem, I'll find work. There's a little bit of it out there. There is a vicious rumor out there that there will be another VERP (Voluntary Early Retirement Package) in 2008.  That's where they get rid of high cost employees with benefits, and hire young kids for peanuts and no benefits. Coincedently, the young employees were the most adamant about not having a union. They're the ones that need it the most! I already have a pension, and health care,  they never will! But without a union, this can all change "At Will" it says so right in our employee handbook. It's bolded and underlined so a moron could understand what they are saying. So much for "no student left behind" Their reading comprehension sucks at the very best! >:(
Thanks,
JJ

erschiessen

« Reply #165 on: Aug 15, 2007, 11:02 »
Brunswick is hiring operators and 'instant' SROs.... sounds tempting.
JJ (or others), could you give some more info on working @ Brunswick?

What is the schedule for OPS?
What is the salary for Aux. Operators?
What bennys does Progress offer?
How about salary for Control Room Operators?
SROs?

I wish I would've seen the job posting earlier... I just vacationed in that area...
I ought to sue weather.com - they stated that it would be ~85-90 degF - maybe at night!

Thanks in advance.
E.
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2007, 11:13 by erschiessen »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #166 on: Aug 15, 2007, 11:25 »
i'll give you the little I know about brunswick....stuff you can check into to see if it is still that way

they start paying control room supervisors (CRS) overtime at 45 hours, not 40, not sure if it is time an a half.  make sure you find this out before you decide to consider this plant! not sure if SRO is included in this or not, find out.  SRO used to be the place to be in 2000 because you still got good pay...may be different now

I'm pretty sure they are at the low end of the totem pole for pay.

INPO has not been puttin the love on brunswick lately..

Management had to be "bullied" by the workers in a 1998 ops meeting to pay ROs a better wage.  Many ROs had gotten out of class and were making less than many Aux Operators.  I don't think shift differential is very good there - 55 cents last time I was there.

Overall, it was a pretty low paying place.  I started at 17 bucks an hour in 1997, but quit in 2000. I think i was making 20 bucks an hour or so? Maybe 21.  Sorry I can't be more specific.

Cathy

« Reply #167 on: Apr 18, 2008, 06:24 »
Just finished up at Brunswick and was treated pretty good by the plant staff. Even managed to get out with less than 500 mrem this time! More feeds this time, free food is always good!!

diparyar

weird wolves
« Reply #168 on: May 17, 2008, 08:17 »
is there anyone that remembers the weird wolves softball team @ brunswick steam generating plant. 

rapid

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #169 on: Feb 26, 2009, 08:52 »
Hearing rumors about returnees being pushed out for exelon techs for brunswick and the steam generator replacement at crystal river.

anybody got the scoop?
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline roadhp

• Moderate User
  • Playing in the bathtub!!!
« Reply #170 on: Feb 26, 2009, 11:34 »
Don't know about Brunswick...we got in, and were confirmed for Harris...4 weeks ago when I asked again when our report date was for Harris so we could make reservations, were told, "Glad you called.  Your slots have been pulled so Brunswick Shared Resources can go."  Got to Brunswick, and they don't know anything about it, and neither do the Harris shared resources who showed up here...HMMMMMMM!!!  Going to Susquehanna.  On the other hand, Excelon techs would be going to TMI for their SGR I would think.  Happening about the same time.
Brave, brave Sir Robin, set forth from Camelot!!!!

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
« Reply #171 on: Feb 27, 2009, 09:19 »
glad you called???
Wow!
Some things never change!
Way to communicate with the workforce "B"!
Thats so weak!
« Last Edit: Feb 27, 2009, 09:20 by RRhoads »

Mike L

« Reply #172 on: Mar 11, 2009, 10:02 »
I'm signed in under my husband's account.  He's currently at Brunswick, and the rumor is that they brought in about 300 too many.  No one knows whose fault it is, but people were being laid off before they even got through processing.  Alot of mad people at Brunswick right now.

paulina45767

« Reply #173 on: Mar 14, 2009, 05:54 »
    I have to agree with the last comment on Brunswick.  Many people are unhappy with the treatment they are receiveing or have received there.  I am a single mother of 5 and a pipefitter by trade that only got 3 weeks of pre-outage and outage work.  No warning of layoff or anything and the fact is that they brought 28 hands on yesterday to layoff 75  today.  What is wrong with this pic people??? ???

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
« Reply #174 on: Mar 14, 2009, 07:44 »
Hey, there is always something new and unusual happening at Brunswick.
Plus they give everybody neat gloves to wear wherever you go in the plant. It is tough to eat with them on but I do feel safer opening my can of Pepsi at lunchtime.

Mike L

« Reply #175 on: Mar 16, 2009, 08:52 »
Yep, my huband got laid off Friday as well.  No warning...5 minutes before his shift ended.  Total of 3 weeks there.

jjordan

« Reply #176 on: Mar 17, 2009, 10:10 »
It aint your grand dads CP&L any more. They used the economic downturn to take away any and al perks we had. They send out newsletters and propaganda that the company is sound and won't reduce the dividend, and then go borrow $750 million yesterday! They quit feeding us, so I've had to picki it up for them. they've banished me to the dark side but we are eating well, and there has been plenty of ice cream. Remember wear your PPE everywhere!!!! :P
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2009, 10:12 by JJordan »

Nuclear Renaissance

« Reply #177 on: Mar 17, 2009, 01:12 »
You should write to your local news affiliate and let them know that your employer is using the economic downturn to eliminate free food from your $60K+ per year job.

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #178 on: Mar 17, 2009, 01:19 »
yeah!
sounds like someone needs to get off the teet!

Offline Duke Nuker

• Retired Radiation Protection and Emergency Preparedness
  • Moderate User
  • Currently Fly Fishing
« Reply #179 on: Mar 17, 2009, 02:17 »
You should write to your local news affiliate and let them know that your employer is using the economic downturn to eliminate free food from your $60K+ per year job.

You guys are funny.......JJ makes that in the first 6 months of the year.
Is it time for coffee yet?

jjordan

« Reply #180 on: Mar 18, 2009, 10:12 »
Duke you are correct. Way more than that in 6 months. I used to invest in Ice Cream,. I stopped all of that for a while, and bought a Jag convertible instead. you guys don't have a clue. I've been feeding all of nightshift out of my own pocket since before the outage started, every day, because the company won't. We used to have a kickoff celebration to make the contractors feel welcome. no more! They used to give us shirts and trinkets, no more,We used to get meals a lot. No more. They used to buy gatorade and bottled water for heat stress. No more! etc,\. ::)
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2009, 04:23 by JJordan »

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #181 on: Mar 18, 2009, 11:18 »
Not even squenchers?

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #182 on: Mar 18, 2009, 11:40 »
Duke you are correct. Way more thann that in 6 months. I used to invest in Ice Cream,. I stopped all of that for a while, and bought a Jag convertible instead. you guys don't have a clue. Iv'e been feeding all of nightshift out of my own pocket since before the outage started, every day, because the company won't. We used to have a kickoff celebration to make the contractors feel welcome. no more! They used to give us shirts and trinkets, no more,We used to get meals a lot. No more. They used to buy gatorade and bottled water for heat stress. No more! etc,\. ::)
:-X

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Duke Nuker

• Retired Radiation Protection and Emergency Preparedness
  • Moderate User
  • Currently Fly Fishing
« Reply #183 on: Mar 19, 2009, 03:49 »
Duke you are correct. Way more than that in 6 months. I used to invest in Ice Cream,. I stopped all of that for a while, and bought a Jag convertible instead. you guys don't have a clue. I've been feeding all of nightshift out of my own pocket since before the outage started, every day, because the company won't. We used to have a kickoff celebration to make the contractors feel welcome. no more! They used to give us shirts and trinkets, no more,We used to get meals a lot. No more. They used to buy gatorade and bottled water for heat stress. No more! etc,\. ::)

I am sure you know I have a clue.  We have been reduced to using napkins from a roll here.  Something about supporting a sister unit to "help them be successful".   Believe me, I miss the Ice Cream although my waistline doen't show it.  The only doughnuts we see anymore are the ones we bring in. (there is the waistline thing again)  Maybe the good part is that by the time the "recession" is over I will be skinny again. (HA) I guess I can't whine, though, the lines at those job fairs are getting longer and longer.
Is it time for coffee yet?

jjordan

« Reply #184 on: Mar 20, 2009, 11:36 »
Duke,
I feel your pain! I really didn't mean to sound like I was whining. I was just stating facts. I make good money, but I live at the plant!. So when they take things away that some folks take for granted, it upsets me. Once upon a time, I used to own a business, so I kind of understand that this was a business decision. I'm wondering if any of the other utilities are doing the same? We are already cutting back on the outage staffing, and are reducing the deconners hours. This has infuriated lots of hard working people, and now we have another large group of people that will never return here. Are these smart business decisions? I don't know, you tell me! :P
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2009, 11:44 by JJordan »

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
« Reply #185 on: Mar 20, 2009, 08:12 »
JJ,

Some of us DO appreciate what you do. Some of us remember how we were treated and how things have digressed. It happens at a lot of plants. Those are the plants with low returnee ratios and they tend to have a downward trend on performance and schedules as well. Sadly the bean counters have yet to notice the end results of their "We Can do more with less and do it better than anyone else" mentality.

Offline Eightmile

• Light User
  • Walk like a penguin!
« Reply #186 on: Mar 21, 2009, 12:34 »
JJ, you know we love what you do for us!  And I hope some of those new-to-the-plant that have partaken in your generosity have shown some gratitude in return.  I'm glad I'm on nights this time, because this is the first time I've gotten to enjoy your cooking first-hand!

But besides feeding us, there are some of us around that appreciate what you house techs do for us - you've always been willing to share with us all the knowledge we need to help US help YOU.  We feel included in the family for the few brief weeks we are here, and THAT'S what will keep the majority of us coming back.

Ok, the ice cream helps a bit in that regard, too.   8)

Although, I must admit that I feel far safer knowing that I can always have a pair of gloves at my side.  That's certainly WELL worth the sacrifice of good hyrdation.  I wondered why heat stress was never mentioned during any of our inprocessing sessions... now I understand!  So when you wonder where the funds went for all the things that you've noticed are no longer there, just think about the sheer number of gloves we're supplying the workforce.  And if you care to get an idea of the number of gloves that get replaced, just walk through the feedwater heater rooms - I've been collecting an Orex toolbag full of gloves each week from each room.  Everyone insists on using the gloves they carry with them into the CA, at which point then they have to go get a new pair.  And the cycle continues... (and of course, I'm not saying gloves aren't a good thing to have with you, just that they've kind of gone about this the wrong way!)
It is a well-known fact that although the public is fine
when taken individually, when it forms itself into large
groups, it tends to act as though it has one partially
consumed Pez tablet for a brain.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #187 on: Mar 23, 2009, 06:32 »
They used to buy gatorade and bottled water for heat stress.

How are they supplying drinking water per 29 CFR 1926.51 ?

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #188 on: Mar 24, 2009, 06:56 »
How are they supplying drinking water per 29 CFR 1926.51 ?

1926 is the construction standard - most plants fall under the 1910 - industrial standard.

1910.141 briefly describes that sanitation facilities must be present, and what needs to be there to qualify. HAving water available outside the RCA, in cafeteria, water fountains, portable coolers (with separate drinking cups) is sufficient in most instances. http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=9790

Situations such as a SGRP, where the SGRP group is using separate facilities than the ones available in the plant may fall under 1926.51. We did at PB1 with SGT.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

number41

« Reply #189 on: Mar 24, 2009, 08:19 »
Yes, we are providing drinking water in the form of water fountains.   I'm sure this will anger alot of people, but this thread really does show how spoiled we are.  I can't believe we are lamenting the fact that we don't get free ice cream anymore!  Makes me feel like I'm on WestPac again!

Offline roadhp

• Moderate User
  • Playing in the bathtub!!!
« Reply #190 on: Mar 25, 2009, 02:42 »
I don't know what West Pac you were on...mine consisted of several days out of port eating mystery meat and reconstituted potatoes with bug juice.  The situation here isn't as bad as all that, but the caring attitude is gone, and is replaced by the attitude of, "we are all in a bad situation and just have to deal with it".  Or at least that is my opinion.  There are no ALARA incentives for the craft, not that I ever beleived that has worked anywhere without most of the craft making things up to get into the drawings.  The treatment of the techs can be summed up by the attitude of one House Mouse who blamed a tech for leaving them short handed in order to make a start date already agreed to before she was accepted here.
Brave, brave Sir Robin, set forth from Camelot!!!!

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
« Reply #191 on: Mar 25, 2009, 08:36 »
If you pay them well they will come.
If you treat them well they will stay.
If you fail either of the above they will leave ASAP.
It is not a complicated formula.....

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #192 on: Mar 26, 2009, 01:27 »
JJ, the ice cream was the outage and everyone did appreciate it!

Offline Eightmile

• Light User
  • Walk like a penguin!
« Reply #193 on: Mar 27, 2009, 02:55 »
The situation here isn't as bad as all that, but the caring attitude is gone, and is replaced by the attitude of, "we are all in a bad situation and just have to deal with it".

I wouldn't say it was gone altogether, or completely replaced... the caring attitude is still alive and well in many (if not all) of the house techs and a few of the management.  It's very easy to find that "family" feeling, even amongst the frequent-returnee-craft and house craft.  However, in a number of instances, it seems they've replaced rational thought with a bull-in-the-china-shop mentality.

As an aside, I can attest to the fact that it's a very bad feeling to be told (at first) that a returnee slot isn't open for you because they are bringing in Exelon techs.  At the time, the recruiter mumbled something about SGRP and MG, but attested that he didn't really know the reason... it took a week to get things straightened out and get my name on the list, but once I got to Brunswick I got the scoop.  And from what I infer, the utility (unless it was upper-upper nosebleed level mgmt) wasn't really involved in that decision.
It is a well-known fact that although the public is fine
when taken individually, when it forms itself into large
groups, it tends to act as though it has one partially
consumed Pez tablet for a brain.

Offline spongerob27

• Very Lite User
« Reply #194 on: Mar 27, 2009, 07:06 »
I think that might be a little unfair. They cut out a bunch of jobs at Brunswick. That is a upper management decision. We returnees fell through the cracks. In the long run B did the right thing an unconfirmed them and got the returnees in like they should. I know some people must be really upset now but it was still the right thing to do.

number41

« Reply #195 on: Mar 29, 2009, 08:50 »
Well, I work in Ops (thanks JJ!!!) and regardless of how unfortunate the situation might be for some people, I appreciate the people that are here.  I've spent quite a few hours in the Drywell, and the techs working the bullpen are awesome.  If they don't come back next year, I will be disappointed.  Actually, every HP that I've worked with this year has been great.  Anyway, glad to have everyone here that we do.  Hopefully the economy and the situation in general will look up and we can get some other good techs back next outage.

MickeeMickee

« Reply #196 on: Mar 30, 2009, 01:43 »
     I was at the outage, and can say that I was treated better there than anywhere else I've ever been (except it's a close tie with Comanche Peak).  I thought management treated us (contract RP) very well.  The money spent on gloves was ridiculous, but that wasn't mandated by RP management....they had to play along.
     I would gladly come back any time they would have me.  I started working in the nuke world there 26 years ago and wish I had never left.
     Also, Carol O' is a pretty special person.....she worked really hard to get where she is and she deserves an even higher position in the Dept.

jjordan

« Reply #197 on: Mar 30, 2009, 10:13 »
Rediculous! I'll say. I have it from a good authority that since we've addopted the new safety policy, (Feb 23) we have spent $108,000.00 on gloves alone. Such a waste. The Ear plugs are just as bad. We have to wear them everywhere, even in very quiet places. i think that is a hazard in its self. I constantly use my hearing all over the plant, and they're robbing me of a very important sense. Why do you think we have alarmsall over the place? It's so bad we lost a very excellent Safety Rep. (Mike Johnson) he didn't want to have to deal with this nonsense. All because INPO eluded to the slight increase in injuries. Probably not really any increase, but we're reporting more of the minor ones we used to let go. Because management told us to! :P :P :P

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #198 on: Mar 31, 2009, 05:36 »
So....how long before one of these plants throw the bullsh*t flag on these ridiculous INPO suggestions?  I think INPO has WAY too much power already.  Its been 8 years since I worked Brunswick and I very much enjoyed my stay, sorry to hear about your troubles.
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Offline "E"

• Light User
« Reply #199 on: Apr 02, 2009, 07:02 »
I like that! It's true too. I've had a very good outage at Brunswick and still consider it my favorite plant. And yes John Jordan! I appreciate all your efforts in feeding me. Job well Done!!! Also, thanks for the Chocolate Mink Chip, you're the best!
 ;)

If you pay them well they will come.
If you treat them well they will stay.
If you fail either of the above they will leave ASAP.
It is not a complicated formula.....

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #200 on: Apr 02, 2009, 07:51 »
Chocolate Mink Chip

Is that similar to those other southern ice cream flavors, such as Squirrel Swirl or Awesome Pistachio Possum? ;)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #201 on: Apr 02, 2009, 08:09 »
Is that similar to those other southern ice cream flavors, such as Squirrel Swirl or Awesome Pistachio Possum? ;)

:)

Thanks!  I needed that!
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #202 on: Apr 02, 2009, 08:30 »

Hmmm, that's funny. I've never had the pistachio possum before... ;)

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #203 on: Apr 02, 2009, 10:29 »
With salmonella sherbet. And precious pumpkin de-light....yum-yum!
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2009, 02:37 by Mike McFarlin »

Offline "E"

• Light User
Think outside the Box
« Reply #204 on: Apr 03, 2009, 02:16 »
Unwrap chocolate bar
Put on mink (and nothing else)
Add chips

And you were thinking of an opossum, and squirrel...Buuwahhhhhhh!!!  ;D

P.S. They started it.  ;)
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2009, 02:17 by "E" »

FatBanks8

Brunswick Jobs Oppurtunities
« Reply #205 on: Jul 28, 2009, 12:43 »
Hey there people. I am getting out of the Navy in November. I have done 6 years in the Nuke world as a Mechanic. I read about the Brunswick Power Plant and have looked around at the housing in the area. I must say that I am very interested. I feel that I would fit in very well in that area. Can anybody hook me up with some connections? Or can you let me know if there are going to be any openings at about that time? Appreciate ya'lls help.

rubicon49

Any Brunswick AO's hanging out around here?
« Reply #206 on: Jan 24, 2010, 10:47 »
Hello all,

I just recently took and passed the POSS test and interviewed for an AO at Brunswick. I am still waiting to see if I am able to break into the nuclear operations industry, but I wanted to hear from any one that is or has recently worked in operations at the Brunswick Facility. I want to get a feel for the plants atmosphere and culture as well as how people like working operations there.

Thanks

number41

Re: Any Brunswick AO's hanging out around here?
« Reply #207 on: Feb 23, 2010, 11:41 »
Not an AO, but I work in ops, and know alot of the guys that have hired as AO's in the last few years what do you want to know?

Offline Madcat647

• Very Lite User
« Reply #208 on: Feb 24, 2010, 02:34 »
Hello McLovin and other Brunswick workers,

I am also interested in hearing about working at Brunswick, mostly since I'm going to be working there soon, LOL.  I start as an Aux Operator April 5th.  Do you have any tips for a new guy about starting out or about the area?  My wife and I are getting an apartment to start in Leland.

My background in the minors is as an 15-yr ETC(SS), but I'm ready to start over at the beginning in the major leagues now.  Yeah, I've seen enough during my job interview site tours and in the threads of this forum to know that it is going to be a completely different game than standing EWS or RO.

number41

« Reply #209 on: Feb 25, 2010, 01:05 »
Macdat, good to have you on board.  First, you're not a "Busch League T-Baller" regardless of what anybody here will tell you.  If you are a normal guy who does not assume that being an ETC will automatically mean that you are in charge here, you'll be just fine.  As far as the job goes, in my opinion being an AO is akin to being a fairly new ERS on a boat.  If you know where everything is, and how to stop going forward when you don't know what the F is going on, you'll be an OK AO.  That doesn't mean you'll be a GOOD AO.  We've got AO's with 30 years of experience that know as much or more than a lot of the licensed guys.  It's the same as it ever was:  the guys in the field (AO's) can make you or break you, no matter how good the licensed operators are.
The plant is ok.  They're a little old & finicky, and could use a little more loving care, but they run.    As far as the area goes, I wouldn't have chosen Leland, but then again, I don't have kids and my wife works here in Southport too.  It all depends on what's important to you.  If you like living near Wilmington so you can shop and enjoy the night life, then you've made a good choice.  If you could care less about that but don't want to add 35-45 minutes to your drive on each end of a 12 hour night shift, then you might want to consider a different locale.  The good news is that real estate prices are still down a bit, so you should be able to score a place for a good price.  If you want more specifics about anything, feel free to PM me.
Good luck, I'm sure I'll see you around the site.

Seth

Offline Safety Matt

• Moderate User
« Reply #210 on: Nov 19, 2011, 09:58 »
Building public confidence in nuclear generated power, one event at a time...

The unit had been in a maintenance outage, was in the process of restarting and was operating at 7% power when workers discovered the leak in the reactor coolant system, Progress said in an event report filed Wednesday with NRC. When the leak exceeded 10 gal/minute, the unit was shut, Progress said.

The company told the NRC that its investigation of the leak showed that the reactor pressure vessel head "was not fully tensioned." This represented "an unanalyzed condition that significantly degrades plant safety," Progress said.

http://www.platts.com/RSSFeedDetailedNews/RSSFeed/ElectricPower/6695994

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #211 on: Nov 19, 2011, 10:43 »
hurry hurry hurry!!!

Offline jkj

• Light User
« Reply #212 on: Nov 20, 2011, 01:57 »
Guess they forgot to tension the studs. I guess G. Conner has "retired". Got to get that M&O costs cut to the bone.

nukengr

« Reply #213 on: Nov 21, 2011, 02:50 »
Guess they forgot to tension the studs.

I'd wait to see what the investigation flushes out. That's not exactly a minor step in the process.

I would hate to be one the guys who signed off on that procedure though.

Fermi2

« Reply #214 on: Nov 21, 2011, 04:11 »
OR most likely the tensioner was miscalibrated... or broken.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #215 on: Nov 21, 2011, 05:50 »
Foreign material or broken seal?

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #216 on: Nov 21, 2011, 08:03 »
That's going to be fun repairing the steam cut on those flanges.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline redline

• Moderate User
« Reply #217 on: Nov 22, 2011, 06:33 »
OR most likely the tensioner was miscalibrated... or broken.

Sounds like it was new equipment not setup or functioning properly...first time use

vikingfan

« Reply #218 on: Nov 22, 2011, 09:38 »
if i remember correctly fitzpatrick had a similar issue of the head not tensioned according to specs during their last refuel outage.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?