Brunswick

Above Average
18 (34.6%)
Average
15 (28.8%)
Below Average
19 (36.5%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Brunswick  (Read 148812 times)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Brunswick
« Reply #200 on: Apr 02, 2009, 07:51 »
Chocolate Mink Chip

Is that similar to those other southern ice cream flavors, such as Squirrel Swirl or Awesome Pistachio Possum? ;)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #201 on: Apr 02, 2009, 08:09 »
Is that similar to those other southern ice cream flavors, such as Squirrel Swirl or Awesome Pistachio Possum? ;)

:)

Thanks!  I needed that!
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #202 on: Apr 02, 2009, 08:30 »

Hmmm, that's funny. I've never had the pistachio possum before... ;)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #203 on: Apr 02, 2009, 10:29 »
With salmonella sherbet. And precious pumpkin de-light....yum-yum!
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2009, 02:37 by Mike McFarlin »
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline "E"

• Light User
Think outside the Box
« Reply #204 on: Apr 03, 2009, 02:16 »
Unwrap chocolate bar
Put on mink (and nothing else)
Add chips

And you were thinking of an opossum, and squirrel...Buuwahhhhhhh!!!  ;D

P.S. They started it.  ;)
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2009, 02:17 by "E" »
"You can sleep when you're dead"

FatBanks8

Brunswick Jobs Oppurtunities
« Reply #205 on: Jul 28, 2009, 12:43 »
Hey there people. I am getting out of the Navy in November. I have done 6 years in the Nuke world as a Mechanic. I read about the Brunswick Power Plant and have looked around at the housing in the area. I must say that I am very interested. I feel that I would fit in very well in that area. Can anybody hook me up with some connections? Or can you let me know if there are going to be any openings at about that time? Appreciate ya'lls help.

rubicon49

Any Brunswick AO's hanging out around here?
« Reply #206 on: Jan 24, 2010, 10:47 »
Hello all,

I just recently took and passed the POSS test and interviewed for an AO at Brunswick. I am still waiting to see if I am able to break into the nuclear operations industry, but I wanted to hear from any one that is or has recently worked in operations at the Brunswick Facility. I want to get a feel for the plants atmosphere and culture as well as how people like working operations there.

Thanks

number41

Re: Any Brunswick AO's hanging out around here?
« Reply #207 on: Feb 23, 2010, 11:41 »
Not an AO, but I work in ops, and know alot of the guys that have hired as AO's in the last few years what do you want to know?

Offline Madcat647

• Very Lite User
« Reply #208 on: Feb 24, 2010, 02:34 »
Hello McLovin and other Brunswick workers,

I am also interested in hearing about working at Brunswick, mostly since I'm going to be working there soon, LOL.  I start as an Aux Operator April 5th.  Do you have any tips for a new guy about starting out or about the area?  My wife and I are getting an apartment to start in Leland.

My background in the minors is as an 15-yr ETC(SS), but I'm ready to start over at the beginning in the major leagues now.  Yeah, I've seen enough during my job interview site tours and in the threads of this forum to know that it is going to be a completely different game than standing EWS or RO.

number41

« Reply #209 on: Feb 25, 2010, 01:05 »
Macdat, good to have you on board.  First, you're not a "Busch League T-Baller" regardless of what anybody here will tell you.  If you are a normal guy who does not assume that being an ETC will automatically mean that you are in charge here, you'll be just fine.  As far as the job goes, in my opinion being an AO is akin to being a fairly new ERS on a boat.  If you know where everything is, and how to stop going forward when you don't know what the F is going on, you'll be an OK AO.  That doesn't mean you'll be a GOOD AO.  We've got AO's with 30 years of experience that know as much or more than a lot of the licensed guys.  It's the same as it ever was:  the guys in the field (AO's) can make you or break you, no matter how good the licensed operators are.
The plant is ok.  They're a little old & finicky, and could use a little more loving care, but they run.    As far as the area goes, I wouldn't have chosen Leland, but then again, I don't have kids and my wife works here in Southport too.  It all depends on what's important to you.  If you like living near Wilmington so you can shop and enjoy the night life, then you've made a good choice.  If you could care less about that but don't want to add 35-45 minutes to your drive on each end of a 12 hour night shift, then you might want to consider a different locale.  The good news is that real estate prices are still down a bit, so you should be able to score a place for a good price.  If you want more specifics about anything, feel free to PM me.
Good luck, I'm sure I'll see you around the site.

Seth

Offline Safety Matt

• Moderate User
« Reply #210 on: Nov 19, 2011, 09:58 »
Building public confidence in nuclear generated power, one event at a time...

The unit had been in a maintenance outage, was in the process of restarting and was operating at 7% power when workers discovered the leak in the reactor coolant system, Progress said in an event report filed Wednesday with NRC. When the leak exceeded 10 gal/minute, the unit was shut, Progress said.

The company told the NRC that its investigation of the leak showed that the reactor pressure vessel head "was not fully tensioned." This represented "an unanalyzed condition that significantly degrades plant safety," Progress said.

http://www.platts.com/RSSFeedDetailedNews/RSSFeed/ElectricPower/6695994

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #211 on: Nov 19, 2011, 10:43 »
hurry hurry hurry!!!

Offline jkj

• Light User
« Reply #212 on: Nov 20, 2011, 01:57 »
Guess they forgot to tension the studs. I guess G. Conner has "retired". Got to get that M&O costs cut to the bone.
Words fail me and pictures aren't much better.

"Never take no cut-offs, and hurry along as fast as you can."-- (Virginia Reed; member of Donner party.)

nukengr

« Reply #213 on: Nov 21, 2011, 02:50 »
Guess they forgot to tension the studs.

I'd wait to see what the investigation flushes out. That's not exactly a minor step in the process.

I would hate to be one the guys who signed off on that procedure though.

Fermi2

« Reply #214 on: Nov 21, 2011, 04:11 »
OR most likely the tensioner was miscalibrated... or broken.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #215 on: Nov 21, 2011, 05:50 »
Foreign material or broken seal?

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #216 on: Nov 21, 2011, 08:03 »
That's going to be fun repairing the steam cut on those flanges.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline redline

• Moderate User
« Reply #217 on: Nov 22, 2011, 06:33 »
OR most likely the tensioner was miscalibrated... or broken.

Sounds like it was new equipment not setup or functioning properly...first time use

vikingfan

« Reply #218 on: Nov 22, 2011, 09:38 »
if i remember correctly fitzpatrick had a similar issue of the head not tensioned according to specs during their last refuel outage.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?