Brunswick

Above Average
18 (34.6%)
Average
15 (28.8%)
Below Average
19 (36.5%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Brunswick  (Read 148732 times)

fonz94

Re: Brunswick
« Reply #150 on: Feb 17, 2007, 11:49 »
I just found out Progress Energy is really enjoying their victory.  Before I left the office on Friday, one of the Nuclear Operations Managers for Harris was saying how they fought off the IBEW once and for all.  They are also going to try to cut back on outage time, and over-time by changing shifts.  I am not sure how.  Also contractors are going to be used more in the Transmission department during switching for outages.  I think that is a disaster waiting to happen.  I do not know the mood of the workers at Harris, and how they feel about unions.  Does anybody think the other plants will get together and still force a vote?  No ice cream and no fishing at Harris plant anymore.  A real sad day for the workers.  Don't worry we might still get our 2.5% raise, maybe!!!

jjordan

« Reply #151 on: Feb 17, 2007, 01:40 »
I just found out Progress Energy is really enjoying their victory.  Before I left the office on Friday, one of the Nuclear Operations Managers for Harris was saying how they fought off the IBEW once and for all.  They are also going to try to cut back on outage time, and over-time by changing shifts.  I am not sure how.  Also contractors are going to be used more in the Transmission department during switching for outages.  I think that is a disaster waiting to happen.  I do not know the mood of the workers at Harris, and how they feel about unions.  Does anybody think the other plants will get together and still force a vote?  No ice cream and no fishing at Harris plant anymore.  A real sad day for the workers.  Don't worry we might still get our 2.5% raise, maybe!!!
Well fonz94,
Let them enjoy it for the time being, they won a battle, but not the war. At Brunswick, they're playing it a little closer to the vest, as well they should. I'm not sure how they pulled the favorable ruling off, but it is what it is. We still have the right to appeal, in Washington DC. Maybe, it'll get a less biased review outside of their service area. The ruling sets a new precedent, because in the past their have been plants segregated from a utilities fleet for the purpose of a union vote. Now all of a sudden we are all being lumped together. That's fine with me. We've been telling you all to get off of the fence for quite some time. You have most of the same issues. I know you all figured you'ld wait and see how we fared, well you're stuck with us now.Once again management has forced you to do something that maybe you didn't want to do, but it's like that without a contract! Time to roll up yor sleeves and get to work. We need some help from someone from the other sites. There is a web page set up for everyone's use, not just ours. Anyone interested in participating, or just looking for information can message me, or go sign up at www.pgnunion.com It aint over till it's over!
JJ ;)

PS Welcome to my neighborhood! Can you say UNION? Sure you can! ;D

Offline jkj

• Light User
« Reply #152 on: Apr 15, 2007, 10:48 »
Sounds like Brunswick hasn't changed since I Left; or is it the more things change the more they stay the same? It was rough when I was laid-off at X-mas of '97 but now as they say it was one of the best things that could've happened. There were some good techs there though. Good luck with IBEW.  :-X
Words fail me and pictures aren't much better.

"Never take no cut-offs, and hurry along as fast as you can."-- (Virginia Reed; member of Donner party.)

Offline "E"

• Light User
« Reply #153 on: Apr 15, 2007, 05:38 »
I personally think Brunswick is the best plant I have yet to work at. The house techs. are very friendly and helpful, they treat you like you are part of their team, and last but certainly not least they have a full kitchen.  ;) I miss it !
Writing from sunny Florida (Not so sunny today)
E.
"You can sleep when you're dead"

LaFeet

« Reply #154 on: Apr 16, 2007, 04:25 »
LaFeet,
If and when you come, you can cook for all of us! We kinda take turns. This outage I made some spaghetti once, and some hot beef dip another time. We had some swedish techs this outge, and Madelene made us some swedish meatballs. Someone else made some jambayla on my night off (rats!) This is the only site I know where HP's have a full kitchen, and we have about 6 or 7 killer cooks on the house staff! On your resume don't forget to add all of your cullinary specialties! And if you can't cook, you can always help me with the ice cream! It's getting real expensive since they've discovered klondike bars!
JJ 8)

Sorry about the delay in response.... ummmm   okay  no excuses

I would be glad to burn something for youse guys over dare  (just got through reading a post by slo glo)

It does not look like I will have a chance at Brunswick this year  :(

LaFeet

« Reply #155 on: Apr 16, 2007, 10:15 »
thanks

Todd   you need a haircut......  and a beer ;D

jjordan

« Reply #156 on: Jun 26, 2007, 10:42 »
OK folks! Here we go now. Progress Energy in their infinite wisdom has determined that all of the Carolina nukes should be one barganing unit. So on Thursday we will vote to see wethe or not we will become membes of the IBEW. That sounds so much better than "letting the IBEW represent us" Because that is precisely what will happen. When we win, we join. Plain and simple. Results will be know on Friday! Vote YES! 8)
JJ

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #157 on: Jun 29, 2007, 05:37 »
Poor JJ... the result weren't good. The next "outplacing" many people will regret that vote.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2662/story/621307.html

jjordan

« Reply #158 on: Jun 29, 2007, 07:06 »
Well, I did everything i could. results were 499 against the union. 157 for the union. I woild like to thank all of the IBEW for supporting our campaign. I know this is a huge dissapointment to them. hopfully the company learned a litte, I know, I just received a painful lesson. Well it's just like it was, or is it? We'll see, as the turbine turns! :(
JJ

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #159 on: Jun 29, 2007, 09:39 »
Sorry to hear that JJ.  Don't you wish you knew what the numbers were just from Brunswick?  I'm sure the company will show their "appreciation" to everyone with great raises and an improved benefits package.  ::)
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

jjordan

« Reply #160 on: Jun 30, 2007, 07:14 »
Tom,
Thank you for your support! Unfortunately my co workers aren't ready to make the self sacrafice for the good of the team. That was one of the painfull lessons that I have learned. I will paitently await the time when they again feel the need for a common voice, and will again pick up the pieces and move forward. Thank you to all 700,000 members of the IBEW for your, encouragement and support I can't become a member, but I can and will support your beliefs and cause!
JJ ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2007, 07:16 by JJordan »

jjordan

« Reply #161 on: Jun 30, 2007, 07:35 »
SGT,
You might like to try some of that new fangled ALARA math, it may work here. Divide 3 million, give or take a hundred thousand or two, by 703! The IBEW must be special to inspire a company to waste that much money to maintain absolute control. Funny, we were never looking for money, just some protection and garuntees. Would have been far less out of pocket. Now they can deal with their problem children at will, same as always. It's against company policy for anyone to have any represntation in any disiplinary action. If that isn't stringent enough, they can change it at will, any time they see fit. Now that's fair. Don't worry about JJ. I still carry my union construction card, and i can go out and build some new plants. Don't worry, I'll make them wheel chair accesible for the aging work force! ;D
JJ

Offline jkj

• Light User
« Reply #162 on: Jul 09, 2007, 01:18 »
Because nothing is forever, and I remember how it was. We have the best group of techs ever assembled under one roof. The rest of the bunch(OPS, Maint, I&C, etc.) Are just as good, and we all get along. We are working to remedy the situation.We will prevail. This was just a little speed bump, not the end of the road.
JJ

Like rlbinc says: If ya can't say something nice....", but having worked at and for CP&L for over 13 years, I remember how it was--and I'm glad I left.
Words fail me and pictures aren't much better.

"Never take no cut-offs, and hurry along as fast as you can."-- (Virginia Reed; member of Donner party.)

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #163 on: Jul 09, 2007, 02:18 »
SGT,
You might like to try some of that new fangled ALARA math, it may work here. Divide 3 million, give or take a hundred thousand or two, by 703! The IBEW must be special to inspire a company to waste that much money to maintain absolute control. Funny, we were never looking for money, just some protection and garuntees. Would have been far less out of pocket.

Let me see... $3,000,000 divided by 703 = just over $4,200. Probably about one or two year's average raise to keep control of their company. Cheap... and an easy business decision. You unionize for the protection and guarantees, but the costs to the company are bound to come later. I am not saying it is a good or bad thing, just cheap for the company. I am sorry all of your efforts were to no avail (at least this time.) And don't be too surprised if the company decides to recoup their losses by shortening the employee list (one way or another.)
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

jjordan

« Reply #164 on: Jul 09, 2007, 09:33 »
Rodger,
I'm fully expecting the work force reduction. Twas a concious decision I made when this all started. That's not a real problem, I'll find work. There's a little bit of it out there. There is a vicious rumor out there that there will be another VERP (Voluntary Early Retirement Package) in 2008.  That's where they get rid of high cost employees with benefits, and hire young kids for peanuts and no benefits. Coincedently, the young employees were the most adamant about not having a union. They're the ones that need it the most! I already have a pension, and health care,  they never will! But without a union, this can all change "At Will" it says so right in our employee handbook. It's bolded and underlined so a moron could understand what they are saying. So much for "no student left behind" Their reading comprehension sucks at the very best! >:(
Thanks,
JJ

erschiessen

« Reply #165 on: Aug 15, 2007, 11:02 »
Brunswick is hiring operators and 'instant' SROs.... sounds tempting.
JJ (or others), could you give some more info on working @ Brunswick?

What is the schedule for OPS?
What is the salary for Aux. Operators?
What bennys does Progress offer?
How about salary for Control Room Operators?
SROs?

I wish I would've seen the job posting earlier... I just vacationed in that area...
I ought to sue weather.com - they stated that it would be ~85-90 degF - maybe at night!

Thanks in advance.
E.
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2007, 11:13 by erschiessen »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #166 on: Aug 15, 2007, 11:25 »
i'll give you the little I know about brunswick....stuff you can check into to see if it is still that way

they start paying control room supervisors (CRS) overtime at 45 hours, not 40, not sure if it is time an a half.  make sure you find this out before you decide to consider this plant! not sure if SRO is included in this or not, find out.  SRO used to be the place to be in 2000 because you still got good pay...may be different now

I'm pretty sure they are at the low end of the totem pole for pay.

INPO has not been puttin the love on brunswick lately..

Management had to be "bullied" by the workers in a 1998 ops meeting to pay ROs a better wage.  Many ROs had gotten out of class and were making less than many Aux Operators.  I don't think shift differential is very good there - 55 cents last time I was there.

Overall, it was a pretty low paying place.  I started at 17 bucks an hour in 1997, but quit in 2000. I think i was making 20 bucks an hour or so? Maybe 21.  Sorry I can't be more specific.

Cathy

« Reply #167 on: Apr 18, 2008, 06:24 »
Just finished up at Brunswick and was treated pretty good by the plant staff. Even managed to get out with less than 500 mrem this time! More feeds this time, free food is always good!!

diparyar

weird wolves
« Reply #168 on: May 17, 2008, 08:17 »
is there anyone that remembers the weird wolves softball team @ brunswick steam generating plant. 

rapid

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #169 on: Feb 26, 2009, 08:52 »
Hearing rumors about returnees being pushed out for exelon techs for brunswick and the steam generator replacement at crystal river.

anybody got the scoop?
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline roadhp

• Moderate User
  • Playing in the bathtub!!!
« Reply #170 on: Feb 26, 2009, 11:34 »
Don't know about Brunswick...we got in, and were confirmed for Harris...4 weeks ago when I asked again when our report date was for Harris so we could make reservations, were told, "Glad you called.  Your slots have been pulled so Brunswick Shared Resources can go."  Got to Brunswick, and they don't know anything about it, and neither do the Harris shared resources who showed up here...HMMMMMMM!!!  Going to Susquehanna.  On the other hand, Excelon techs would be going to TMI for their SGR I would think.  Happening about the same time.
Brave, brave Sir Robin, set forth from Camelot!!!!

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
« Reply #171 on: Feb 27, 2009, 09:19 »
glad you called???
Wow!
Some things never change!
Way to communicate with the workforce "B"!
Thats so weak!
« Last Edit: Feb 27, 2009, 09:20 by RRhoads »

Mike L

« Reply #172 on: Mar 11, 2009, 10:02 »
I'm signed in under my husband's account.  He's currently at Brunswick, and the rumor is that they brought in about 300 too many.  No one knows whose fault it is, but people were being laid off before they even got through processing.  Alot of mad people at Brunswick right now.

paulina45767

« Reply #173 on: Mar 14, 2009, 05:54 »
    I have to agree with the last comment on Brunswick.  Many people are unhappy with the treatment they are receiveing or have received there.  I am a single mother of 5 and a pipefitter by trade that only got 3 weeks of pre-outage and outage work.  No warning of layoff or anything and the fact is that they brought 28 hands on yesterday to layoff 75  today.  What is wrong with this pic people??? ???

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #174 on: Mar 14, 2009, 07:44 »
Hey, there is always something new and unusual happening at Brunswick.
Plus they give everybody neat gloves to wear wherever you go in the plant. It is tough to eat with them on but I do feel safer opening my can of Pepsi at lunchtime.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?