Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Newbie here - question honeypot

Author Topic: Newbie here - question  (Read 4866 times)

brandytaj

Newbie here - question
« on: Sep 09, 2006, 09:08 »
Hey everyone. 

I have a question for you - and maybe it sounds crazy, but it's a real question.

Is there any possible merits to getting out at your 15 year point?  MM Surface, E6, family at home.  Decided at the 10 year point to re-enlist to get retirement and forever medical benefits, but halfway through these 10 years, getting out in a few months sure would be nice!

Just can't seem to really come up with a way to make up the retirement $$ financially in the long term.  Only 5 more years...

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: Newbie here - question
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2006, 09:40 »
My first LELT in the Navy got out at the 19 year mark just short of retirement. He was a single parent with two teenage sons. He felt they needed him more that the Navy who wanted to send him to sea for his last year. No matter what the rhetoric, the Navy has to make decisions based on its needs and they come first. Money should never be the reason to stay in the Navy you would not be doing the Navy our yourself a service.
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2006, 08:11 by Marlin »

brandytaj

« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2006, 10:13 »
Great points.

Truth be told, I'm the spouse here.  I'm not trying to convince him of anything, simply he's out to sea right now and the slow internet combined with lack of free time means that he can't sign on here himself.

My father was a nuke when I was a kid, he got out and worked at plants from Syracuse to Rancho Seco.  He left the industry (somewhat) about 8 years ago and currently owns an IT company.  All I know is Nukes ;)

My husband enjoys his job, but almost 15 years has left him burnt out and he's heading on another deployment in Oct for 7months.  He has just been de-nuked due to being placed on ADHD meds..... well, medical de-nuking is processing now at least.  Not official yet. 

His only reason for staying in is A) retirement and B) medical benefits.  I wish I could truthfully say that it was more than that, but it's not. 

He'll be up for shore duty, but unless we want to go back to Norfolk (which we don't and won't due to the now high cost of living and crappy schools), he's got to go recruiting and that sounds like another stressful ball of wax.

*Sigh*   I feel bad for him really - seems like he's caught between a rock and a hard place.

brandytaj

« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2006, 01:20 »
And let me add -- if this makes any difference... a reason why he'd go recruiting is because I'm persuing my degree in Petroleum Engineering and the southern states offer transfer programs for me.  There are no basic shore duty stations for him to head to that are near a petro program.

The civvy side of things would give us a bit more flexibility to be near a petro school (OK, TX, etc).  Yes?

I really enjoy reading the board here and have been lurking for years now - maybe 4 years, when he was last considering getting out.  You folks sure as hell know what you are talking about, and this is why I'm turning here for advice.

Thanks all ;)

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Sep 09, 2006, 07:58 »
I do not have time to drop you a post now but you need to talk to me!!  Read my posts and you will find out about my situation, then send me pm so I can write you a nice long answer (ps I am de-nuc who webt recruiting and is about to retire at 23 years)

Rob
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

brandytaj

« Reply #5 on: Sep 09, 2006, 08:08 »
Yes - I've read many of your posts!  Actually, it's helped me the most of all, reading all of your questions and the answers that you've been given.

I'll shoot you off a PM for sure!  Thanks :)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?