South Texas Project

Above Average
19 (47.5%)
Average
7 (17.5%)
Below Average
14 (35%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: South Texas Project (STP)  (Read 71347 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
South Texas Project (STP)
« Reply #25 on: Dec 06, 2007, 10:10 »
Don't forget to vote. Please keep it civil.

RAD-GHOST

Re: South Texas Project (STP)
« Reply #26 on: Jan 01, 2008, 04:49 »
27K+ Hit's and Counting!

My First Chuckle for 2008! 

Happy New Year & Thanks,

RG.............. 8)

« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2008, 04:51 by RAD-GHOST »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #27 on: Sep 17, 2008, 05:30 »
I put up a few pix from several years ago...

http://www.nukeworker.com/pictures/thumbnails-152.html
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2008, 05:32 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Marvin

« Reply #28 on: Sep 18, 2008, 12:52 »
UncaBuffalo -- those are awesome -- what a wonderful era at STP.  I will show John (we were both in Birchfield's crew at one time or another).

I have some old STP polaroids that I will scan in the next month or two and get them posted.  I'm sure the old HP's at STP will get a kick out of these -- Loved it.

Thanks man, now where's that karma button thing at :)

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #29 on: Sep 18, 2008, 08:37 »
UncaBuffalo -- those are awesome -- what a wonderful era at STP.  I will show John (we were both in Birchfield's crew at one time or another).

I have some old STP polaroids that I will scan in the next month or two and get them posted.  I'm sure the old HP's at STP will get a kick out of these -- Loved it.

Thanks man, now where's that karma button thing at :)

Below the Goldmember logo.... ;)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline NJ

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #30 on: Sep 18, 2008, 05:16 »
I think we should all drag out those old pictures and perserve them down in history...I have a bunch!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #31 on: Sep 18, 2008, 06:36 »
I think we should all drag out those old pictures and perserve them down in history...I have a bunch!

Sounds good!  It only takes a few ninutes to upload them to NukeWorker...scanning mine took more time than uploading...
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #32 on: Feb 10, 2009, 01:50 »
Does anyone know if they are hiring for operations at this time?

NukeNub

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #34 on: Feb 10, 2009, 08:46 »
Yah I checked that website just wanted to see if any inside folks new anything.  Anyway yall welcome my dad as we start up our engineering consulting firm Presgrove Technologies.  He gets underway in March and we will be doing alot of work around the nuke world. 

Offline zilla

• Light User
Re: Living near South Texas Project (STP)
« Reply #35 on: Mar 03, 2009, 12:23 »
Anyone local that can tell me what it's like in the area?  I am a BWR-SRO and might be interested in sending a resume when they start hiring for 3&4 and I'm wondering if anyone can give me a rundown on the locale?  Schools, housing costs, etc...?  Is it possible to live on or near the water within reasonable cost?

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #36 on: Mar 03, 2009, 06:10 »
What's the area like....... ::)

Currently STP holds the pole position for New Nuke Construction, which equates to about $10,000,000,000.00+ for construction costs over a 5 - 7 year period.   Then you can add the 5 - 7 outage budgets for the same time frame and gain the actual economic perspective for the area's future.  Besides the weather, not much will be the same when they start hiring for units 3 & 4! 

Just my humble opinion!

PS:  I never, (repeat "NEVER"), had a bad time in Texas..... 8)!

RG

Offline zilla

• Light User
« Reply #37 on: Mar 03, 2009, 09:45 »
What's the area like....... ::)

Currently STP holds the pole position for New Nuke Construction.....

You've got that right.  I have a good friend who worked on the COL and they were first and have their ducks in a row more than most who are looking to build.  I was just looking for some info from locals on the area.  So far I have only talked to one person who actually lived and worked there in house and he hated it...... but then he was from Boston originally.

Offline tntplayer

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #38 on: Mar 04, 2009, 06:29 »
I worked at STP for about 8 years in the 1990's. Overall, I liked it there. Bay City has that small Texas town atmosphere. The big local grocery store is called H.E.B. I was told that it is named after the original owner whose last name was Butt and his first name was Harry. Like the previous post said, really good barbeque. People at the site were very good overall. Let me just say that in the nuclear worker world you could do ALOT worse.

Bay City is about an hours drive south of Houston. Houston has all the alure that a big city has bars, city scene, sports teams, etc. We used to take trips to Houston on aregular basis

Offline zilla

• Light User
« Reply #39 on: Mar 05, 2009, 12:28 »
I worked at STP for about 8 years in the 1990's. Overall, I liked it there. Bay City has that small Texas town atmosphere. The big local grocery store is called H.E.B. I was told that it is named after the original owner whose last name was Butt and his first name was Harry. Like the previous post said, really good barbeque. People at the site were very good overall. Let me just say that in the nuclear worker world you could do ALOT worse.

Bay City is about an hours drive south of Houston. Houston has all the alure that a big city has bars, city scene, sports teams, etc. We used to take trips to Houston on aregular basis

Thanks!  That's the kind of info I was looking for.  I might have to take a trip down there this summer during an off week to check the area out, look at real estate, etc..... 

unsung

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2009, 11:45 »
I'm also looking to possibly relocate down that way since my father retired and moved to Lufkin.  I'm working in the Electrical Dept at a PWR now but have done many supporting trips for BWR outages.

I guess is STP a union plant?  I know Exelon is looking at building in Victoria County as well so there look to be some employment opportunities in the future.  I'd like to get in as soon as possible.

Offline radmax

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #41 on: Aug 07, 2009, 07:39 »
FYI, according to Wikipedia, Excelon just put the breaks on Victoria Station, due to the current economic situations... though spokesman said they were "not abondoning Victoria"...  July 2009

Let's hope we can get a turn around on this decision, and hopefully the ball will keep rollin'
It's just too damn'd early in the morning to be this damn'd early in the morning!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #42 on: Aug 07, 2009, 09:20 »
FYI, according to Wikipedia, Excelon just put the breaks on Victoria Station, due to the current economic situations... though spokesman said they were "not abondoning Victoria"...  July 2009

Let's hope we can get a turn around on this decision, and hopefully the ball will keep rollin'

With spot nat gas at $3.66/MMBtu, and on-peak NYMEX Oct 09 futures trading around 36-37 bucks per MWh for 2N-ERCOT Houston Zone electricity, Exelon may have figured it doesn't pencil out to proceed. Time will tell....

Offline DangerNut

• Very Lite User
Operator or Engineer at STP
« Reply #43 on: Jan 14, 2010, 12:43 »
Anyone who works in Ops or Engineering available to answer a few general questions about working at STP?

Offline TEX-INSP

• Light User
« Reply #44 on: Jul 06, 2011, 03:15 »
Interested in a direct postion there in the ISI / QA/QC NDE department. Any leads would be helpful. Currently working for a utility in the south east. Any leads would be nice.

Offline Protectologist

• Gold Member
« Reply #45 on: Jul 06, 2011, 09:48 »
So who has the RCT contract for outages at STP?

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #46 on: Jul 06, 2011, 10:16 »
I'm not going to scald you with the usual answer, but it wouldn't really have taken much for you to find this on your own.

http://bartlettinc.sharestreet.net/outageinfo/southtexas/default.aspx

It's not as though there were a lot of choices.  Basically Entergy plants use DZ Atlantic, and everybody else uses Bartlett.  Just a thumbrule, mind you.  There are several exceptions.  Either way though, if you check with either one, you will know who has it and who doesn't.

BTW, anybody else find it a little off-putting that they consider techs "local" (and not eligible for per diem) if they live within 100 miles?  It's like they are daring people to die on the highway after work every night.
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2011, 10:26 by Already Gone »
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Protectologist

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: Jul 07, 2011, 10:32 »
Thank you for being kind to an elderly man who should have looked further than nukeworker for information.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #48 on: Jul 08, 2011, 10:47 »
Actually, it is harder to find than it was.  Bartlett's web site is a lot more complicated than it used to be.  Atlantic's job listings are not really complete either.
There are backups at a lot of places too.  And Shaw, Westinghouse, etc. are hiring techs fro some of their projects as well.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

chesnee

« Reply #49 on: Jul 29, 2013, 06:03 »
Was kind of disappointed in STP this fall outage season. They were suppose to have a spring outage. Due to secondary side issues this outage was postponed. I was comfirmed for this outage and got stuck with one short outage for the spring. I had worked STP four other times and was happy working there. The last time I worked there in OCT 2012 they laid all contractors off 6 days before the end of the outage. WOW. It was a rough outage and I worked my rear off (literally). I comfirmed for spring and was happy to go back sore feet and all. Outage Postponed to fall. Do I have to comfirm again? Yes. Ok I will call early. I called. Sorry you won't be coming to STP this fall. Why? ............................. ........................  :( Well they are limiting the number of people they are hiring this fall.

I will pick STP up again sometime. They pay well and I enjoy it there. However they lost a (Loyal) person. I got laid off early in the fall, ended up with only one short outage because I planned on STP also in the spring, and totally got screwed out of a fall season there. Left a bitter taste in my mouth. It wasn't anything I did I am confident in that. I worked hard and played nice. What more could they ask?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?