Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu South Texas Project (STP)
honeypot

Poll

South Texas Project

Above Average
19 (47.5%)
Average
7 (17.5%)
Below Average
14 (35%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: South Texas Project (STP)  (Read 71360 times)

slick

South Texas Project (STP)
« on: Aug 25, 2002, 09:43 »
Anyone know of a travel trailer park at STP?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
South Texas Project (STP)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2002, 06:37 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2006, 10:03 by Rennhack »

Marvin

Re: Rate South Texas Project
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2002, 06:55 »
I worked for Houston Lighting & Power from February 1989 through December 1995 as a tech, a trainer, a planner, and a supervisor at STP.  It went from ridiculously challenging (during startup and 1RE01) to depressing during shutdown (NRC DET) to restructuring and startup under some of the best management I have ever seen.

STP has it's little quirks and always will, just like any other place I have ever worked.  I miss the work ethic, the great techs and staff (most of all), the shiny new Westinghouse PWR's, the world class management team.  If it wasn't for the humidity, the bugs and the nothing to do around there landscape, I would probably still be a Texan.

Course I haven't been there since 1995; however, I will always have fond memories of STP.   :)

bandyung

Re: Rate South Texas Project
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2003, 09:46 »
::) Like you I started at STP in 1989 for 1REO1.  Went house in 1990 at STP. Retired in 1996 with a nice package and now return for all outages as a contractor. The plant was a total relief after the inside blistering temps. At Turkey point. STP management has always treated contractors as fellow technicians and part of the "WE" team. The quality of techs. always vary but in general only the better quality wind up there on a regular basis.  Having been 23 years in the business there have been some really negative experiences on the road. STP is best at least for me. Happy New Year. Gramps: :)

Offline uRiaL

• BELIEVING RCT
  • Moderate User
  • God knows the path I take......
Re: Talk About: South Texas Project
« Reply #4 on: Apr 28, 2003, 01:31 »
I'M TRYING TO GET SOME INFO ON STP. WHO IS THE SITE COORDINATOR? AND ,YEAH DOES ANYONE KNOW ANY OF THE TECHS DOWN THERE ( I NEED NAMES) ::) ::)
I thank  GOD for you with every remembrance of you.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2003, 05:02 »
Per a note I got from one of the house techs the other day :

"They have completely taken our reactor apart and are doing eddy current and NDE on all our BMI thimbles.  They will attempt repairs later and then seek NRC buy-in and approval after the work is done.  They are calling it "at risk" work.  Oh well... we will see how well it goes.  Looks like we will be on overtime at least as long as you.  We are working 5-12's now and probably not any end in sight until about late July."
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2003, 06:40 »
Worked STP three outages, including one SGRP.  Always a good time and great people. Sorry to see F. Reynolds go, haven't been back since.  Lost touch with a few people down there, so a big hello to Joe, Bob, TAPS, Doug and the rest of the HP crew!  

PS:  Never had a bad time in Bay City!

Brian_E

« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2003, 08:53 »
Interesting place to work. Hated the hard hat policy but wasn't anything that could be done about it. Very unusual policies about some things. On site food was pretty good. House techs were for the most part a great bunch to work with.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
South Texas
« Reply #8 on: Apr 08, 2004, 05:43 »
If anyone has a favorite hang out, place to shop, or local information for this area please post it here.

svk4543

Re: South Texas
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2005, 07:31 »
Country Meadow Estates (formerly Wildwood) has very large apartments and is quiet. From STP go 60 north and make a right on Hamman at a light just as you enter the city area. The Manager Karen Petru  is very knowledgabe and will work with you on short term leases. About 15 miles from STP, it will cost less than half that of a motel and you have a kithen and space.  The phone number is
 979 245 1181, 9a to 5 p. M-F, open saturdays and sundays.

reytrejo

South Texas Project Employment Question
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2005, 10:01 »
New to this site. 
Im a Navy-nuke getting out this summer.  I have just started the process of searching for a job.  Originally from Texas and wanted to know if anyone out here might be able to help me as far as contact information.  Just wondering if there are any openings, if any,  at the Texas power plant and how where I can send my resume.  This is a really good site and Im sure Ill be back.

Chefmike

Re: South Texas Project
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2005, 03:38 »
Worked in RP training there in 1994.  Worked with some great people, minus one (Scott Lonchar), Barry Coleman and the now retired Art Caldwell.  The entire training group were great.  The people from the plant I met always treated me with respect and provided huge amounts of useful information.  Loved the area for fishing and back then partying.  Red fish fishing was the cats meow.  Met tons of very nice people.  Only thing lacking was the upscale restaurants and amentities usually found in the more populous areas.  But all in all great place and very good people.  Would go back in a minute given the opportunity.

Aitch-Pee

« Reply #12 on: Aug 21, 2005, 12:04 »
Just posted a new picture called "1RE01"

The picture is a scanned polaroid from the pre-digital era.

They were the 1RE01 refueling deck crew.  Their supervisor was the guy in the blue shirt.

Still miss the great people at STP - hope things are going well.  Lots of fond memories.

Marvin   :)

Offline Showme T. Money

• Light User
  • Senior HP Tech
Re: South Texas
« Reply #13 on: Aug 29, 2005, 09:53 »
K2 STEAKHOUSE IN BAY CITY HAS SOME OF THE BIGGEST CHICKEN FRIED STEAK YOUR GOING TO FIND ANYWERE, IT COMES OUT ON A PLATE BY ITSELF, PLUS THE DRINKS WEREN'T BAD EITHER.

Offline arizonie

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
Re: South Texas Project (STP)
« Reply #14 on: Aug 23, 2006, 07:08 »
 i'm a  hp /radwaste 6x returnee 95-02.

stp it seems you either like it or hate it. lots of one timers or multiple returnees.

nearby lodging is avail and not expensive(may change soon due to reliants plans for 2 new ge /hitachi bwr units).

located out in the boonies,40 miles to a mall in lake jackson or 75 miles to houston.

usually plenty of gulf shrimp avail in matagorda or palacios,fish too.

be prepared to keep busy.in 97 a world record 17 day refuel /maint/ect  outage was completed .(record for 4 loop westinghouse design)
 a letter of kudos from texas gov g bush was delivered to the stp we team.

expect 30 day or less outages,avg pay ,usually a bonus and no state income tax.

with arc during the late 90's hp had several 90+% returnee outages.(i guess it must not have been soo bad afterall)

i'll go back if it fits in my scedule and the pay is right.

most house hp's are very friendly and work hard,lots of homegrown house techs

hot weather even in spring and fall and lots of bugs including africanized bees.

"JUST WIN BABY"

bullpinman

STP -South Texas Project- March 2007
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2007, 10:21 »
Would like to hear if anyone has been down to the outage before or if anyone has plans to go down this year? I was there in 1999 and it was good and I'm debating whether to go back. In Florida right now, not too far away.

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2007, 05:44 »
I really liked the plant, the house people and the area when I was there ('91).  I didn't care for the company or the people I was working for (PSESI).  The locals were some of the nicest I've encountered anywhere.

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2007, 07:06 »
u'r getting old!..tht was 1990 when we were there ;)...i have no opinion..was there 2 weeks & quit!

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2007, 01:08 »
u'r getting old!..tht was 1990 when we were there ;)...i have no opinion..was there 2 weeks & quit!

You should've liked it, you didn't get your long haired butt kicked there! ;^)
(neither did I)

Where the hell was I in '91 then?

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2007, 01:16 »
musta been at PV.....remember flamin' Dr.Peppers???? I wuzat Ip2 & VC in '91....wow only 2 outages as a deconner..tht would have been almost 6 months work then!
Hey ....who wuz tht cat "bubby" anyway????
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2007, 01:17 by RRhoads »

rlbinc

South Texas Project
« Reply #20 on: Jul 02, 2007, 09:05 »
I have heard that units 3 and 4 are beginning construction in September.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #21 on: Jul 02, 2007, 12:44 »
I have heard that units 3 and 4 are beginning construction in September.

as in shovel hits dirt, or as in trailers full of engineers doing calcs to reinvent the wheel? ;)

rlbinc

« Reply #22 on: Jul 02, 2007, 02:27 »
The engineers are in full swing. Sargent and Ghandhi, I mean, Sargent and Lundy got the contract. I'm talking shovel hitting dirt with a 39 month schedule from day one to pulling control rods. I have heard that long lead time forgings have been ordered.

Offline cairnit

• Moderate User
  • I love my job........
« Reply #23 on: Jul 04, 2007, 11:59 »
According to the STP Press release, Sargent & Lundy is the Eng./Man. firm. Sooooooooo, does anyone know what construction company is actually doing the work?  Is this a union or non-union plant?

Just wondering.

L._LaGarde

« Reply #24 on: Jul 06, 2007, 01:41 »
NRC's schedule shows the license application being submitted at the beginning of 2008, with the reviews and hearings running out until sometime in 2011.  They can do only limited work prior to approval of the application.  Don't buy any stock in that 39 month thing.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?