Reference, Questions and Help > Definitions

seal table ?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Kernwerker:

--- Quote from: alphadude on Sep 11, 2006, 11:52 ---well depending of the design of the plant incore seal work for HPs will involve working with materials that were subjected to incore irradiation. If the seals leaked you will have lots of contamination, with particles. If not you may just be pulling the incore which can be megga rad. parking the incores involves pulling the incores our prior to refuel to a certain location. (dose control) I have worked incore tables where the seal leaked and it looked like a wedding cake with all the boron encrusted, and I have worked incores while at Big Rock that was a walk in the park. Also worked at flux mapping on one old unit where the incore was inserted- copper detector- then timed and then pulled to take a dose rate- high dose rate = hot core section.  the drives can be contaminated with particles and stuff if the tubes leaked etc yadda and so on.

--- End quote ---

My work colleague and I are a bit puzzled what you actually mean  ::) Although I would say that I have relatively fair knowledge of US or English nuke lingo I still cant comprehend what you actually mean by "seal" . Do you mean with incores (vermutlich Kerneinbauten) components like core structure (Kerngerüst obere und untere) and control  rod drive shafts (Steuerstabantriebstangen)? We are stilll a bit confused what  you mean with "seal".
Nuclear Nascar said something about incore instrumentation (Kerninstrumentierung)  pentration seals? We still have no clue.

PWHoppe:

--- Quote from: Kernwerker on Sep 12, 2006, 04:45 ---My work colleague and I are a bit puzzled what you actually mean  ::) Although I would say that I have relatively fair knowledge of US or English nuke lingo I still cant comprehend what you actually mean by "seal" . Do you mean with incores (vermutlich Kerneinbauten) components like core structure (Kerngerüst obere und untere) and control  rod drive shafts (Steuerstabantriebstangen)? We are stilll a bit confused what  you mean with "seal".
Nuclear Nascar said something about incore instrumentation (Kerninstrumentierung)  pentration seals? We still have no clue.

--- End quote ---

Marco,

The in-cores have to do with the neutron flux mapping system of the core. The seal table area is where the electrical connectons and the TIP's (Transversing Incore Probe) are withdrawn to either changeout or to perform maintenance. Shortly after shutdown they are exrtremely "hot" radiologically speaking, until some decay takes place. They remain hot due to activation but do decay some after a bit. They remain a contamination problem however. The work is typically done by instrument & control system personnel (I&C) and always assisted by HP people.

Hope this helps... Sorry if it doesn't, but I am the dumbest man on the planet :o

alphadude:
yes a pressure boundary seal-like pump seal, or pressure retention packing or fitting. in the old units the seal table look just like that- a table with couplings that were sealed to reactor temp and pressure. the couplings were removed. the seals opened and the incore instrumentation pulled or whatever. some units had fixed seals and had incore pits where high pressure flanges were located, others had a drive and selector table that the incore instrument could be withdrawn and reinserted to another quadrant of the core for flux mapping etc. the oldest units had the table with fixed incore instruments.

Kernwerker:

--- Quote from: PWHoppe on Sep 12, 2006, 06:16 ---Marco,

The in-cores have to do with the neutron flux mapping system of the core. The seal table area is where the electrical connectons and the TIP's (Transversing Incore Probe) are withdrawn to either changeout or to perform maintenance. Shortly after shutdown they are exrtremely "hot" radiologically speaking, until some decay takes place. They remain hot due to activation but do decay some after a bit. They remain a contamination problem however. The work is typically done by instrument & control system personnel (I&C) and always assisted by HP people.

Hope this helps... Sorry if it doesn't, but I am the dumbest man on the planet :o

--- End quote ---

Thanks alot Hoppe even though I am not Marco, he is the other German guy working at the nuclear powerstation in Neckarwestheim Germany.  ;D Thanks to you guys and your statement about the TIP's (Kugelmesssystem "JKQ") we finally have a clue ;)

Kernwerker:

--- Quote from: alphadude on Sep 12, 2006, 08:20 ---yes a pressure boundary seal-like pump seal, or pressure retention packing or fitting. in the old units the seal table look just like that- a table with couplings that were sealed to reactor temp and pressure. the couplings were removed. the seals opened and the incore instrumentation pulled or whatever. some units had fixed seals and had incore pits where high pressure flanges were located, others had a drive and selector table that the incore instrument could be withdrawn and reinserted to another quadrant of the core for flux mapping etc. the oldest units had the table with fixed incore instruments.

--- End quote ---

Now I Know what you guys mean. Well thanks alot for your patience. 8) I was just looking at pics we made during our last outage. Because we had to some repair work on one of our instrumentation units (If I may call it that way)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version