Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NUF

Author Topic: NUF  (Read 11613 times)

tiger

NUF
« on: Sep 11, 2006, 11:58 »
Help needed
I have never worked on a commercial outage, thus I have never taken the NUF test. I was wondering if it is like the practice test on Nukeworker and is there other practice test available.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
Re: NUF
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2006, 08:35 »
I just took the test at Cook.  I did the quiz on this site and also downloaded the printable study guide from westrain.  It is called Nuclear Physics, The Atomic nature of matter.  That is the manual that I studied most.  The Pop quiz on this site is pretty good as a start but doesn't get nearly deep enough.  You need to actually understand why the answers are what they are.  The actual test is written much different.  Make sure you know your fission/corossion products and instrument theory.  Know how to calculate a point source and an air sample.  If you know and understand the material in the study guide that I mentioned you will be fine.  I missed 3 out of 50 and it was the first time I have taken this test in over 10 years.  Don't let it stress you too much, just do your homework.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2006, 08:48 »
downloaded the printable study guide from westrain.

The study guide is available for download from this site as well.

I do agree with you, that people have to learn the material, and not try to memorize answers.

wglewallen

« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2006, 04:25 »
Just a bit of information, I just took the test at Oconee. It is a lot heavier in detector theory than you might imagine. My advice would be to study all of the material and objectives at each lesson plan. The NUF test and what is on Nuke worker does not give a true picture, since the exams have been changed.     

wglewallen

« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2006, 04:50 »
In response to my statements that I made...it may be different at Cook, but the one I took.... one had to read the questions very carefully and the answers are closely related. I realize that there are more test than just one. These test are different from the ones that I have taken in the past.  My advice is to study and learn the material cannot emphasize that enough. Learn the material and don't memorize it, because if you do experience test anxiety, you may go blank. Good Luck!!!

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #5 on: Oct 07, 2006, 04:41 »
Ahem ::)

The original poster asked about the practice test not everyones personal opinon on test taking or whether the test was fair or not.

In other words I do believe we are straying off topic here a bit, don't you think  ???

How about we refrain from all the rhetoric and just deal with the original topic and try and be nice to each other...please  ;D

your friendly neighborhood moderator  8)
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 2006, 11:47 »
You know what the exams always ask, the wording is the tricky part.

Yeah test anxiety is real deal..I KNOW 1st hand...but i believe every place i've taken the exam offers more than 1 chance, so that should relieve some "pressure", however there is a difference between not knowing the material & exam anxiety.

The NUF is NOT about being "smart" it's about knowing the material.

The practice exams on this site are very helpful, IMO, but are no substitute for the material from Westrain. I believe this site had a condensed version of some typical questions that are asked on an exam.
HERE.
IE something like 16 N activity is the primary source of radiation fields in the BWR coolant.
know 6 CEN thats an easy point..
Air sample calc is another easy point & always on there.
A decay question is pretty standard too..
know how to figure a 1/2 life question ...which can be worded kinda crappy sometimes..
Point soucre is another gimme esp if you can use a distanance factor..
And lastly you have to know instruments well enough to be able to recognize the answer on the exam.
Also remember..You don't get anything extra for 100% on the NUF but if you get an 80% you get the job! IE.. 80=100 :P
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2006, 12:21 by Rennhack »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?