Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Savannah River Site (SRS)

Poll

SRS

Above Average
9 (21.4%)
Average
14 (33.3%)
Below Average
19 (45.2%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Savannah River Site (SRS)  (Read 81530 times)

BetaAnt

Re: Savannah River Site (SRS)
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2009, 02:15 »
The process has begun and returnees are hired first. 3 returnees last week, and 5 college interns (no experience but they are local). 1st week in June -10, 2nd week another 10. Ramping up to 150 total. :)

Acts has been given preference since they are the LOWEST bidder and are paying the least. :'(
You can sell yourself cheap and get in or hold out for more money. :-\

GOOD LUCK and WELCOME TO CHAOS!!!!!!!!!!!! 8) 8) 8)

Offline namlive

• Moderate User
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2009, 10:50 »
Word from SRS....

[[size=14pt]THREE YEARS SR. RADCON EXPERIENCE MEANS THREE YEARS MINIMUM. THIS IS NOT A TEACHING OPPORTUNITY >:([/size]

The word to most of the hired Sr. RadCon techs should be going out within a week. Good luck all 8)

Because Plutonium is the main element of concern, SRS does not typically want junior technicians. Their experience with contractors (admittedly I did nothing to help) is that they have substandard contamination control and cannot locate alpha with an alpha meter. For this reason they prefer people who have been here, even problem children, provided they can cover a job without ever contaminating a person. Contamination cases at SRS are handled similar to a CSI murder case.
No one gets out alive.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #52 on: Jun 01, 2009, 07:17 »
Because Plutonium is the main element of concern, SRS does not typically want junior technicians. Their experience with contractors (admittedly I did nothing to help) is that they have substandard contamination control and cannot locate alpha with an alpha meter. For this reason they prefer people who have been here, even problem children, provided they can cover a job without ever contaminating a person. Contamination cases at SRS are handled similar to a CSI murder case.
My experience at Rocky Flats agrees with this. Plutonium is an internal hazard, and a big one. Contamination control is freakishly important, and normal commercial techs generally do not have the experience at this. We are used to Co-60, 3 day GI cleanout from an uptake.
When you have workers in tents in 10,000 DAC air, in airline respirators inside bubble suits, you realize just how important it is.  :D
The house techs at RFETS showed me a lot, and I respected their contamination control skills.  :)
Of course, they freaked out at my stories of entering a S/G @ 25 R/hr....it's all in what you are used to... ;)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

BetaAnt

« Reply #53 on: Jun 01, 2009, 02:29 »
Pu-238 is the easy stuff (Pu-239 has on running shoes). Just wait to you hit the BIG TIME with Cm-244, Np-237, and enough Am-241 to blow through a HEPA like its not there. We have cancer causing chemicals in the soils and feral pigs aplenty. This will not be for the faint-hearted. It will be hard, hot, and hazardous work.   :D

You WILL be amazed at what they did down here in the name of national defense. But, it is a job and it will beat unemployment for the next 30 months.   8) 8) 8)

GOOD LUCK AND WELCOME TO CHAOS!!! 8)

Offline HenryBlack

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #54 on: Jun 01, 2009, 03:33 »
Yes, I have worked in 8 different areas at SRS and the PU239 is almost impossible to catch with a smear. Also the yellow RO2 is a little different.  Leaves that read 500,000 dpm on frisker. I could go on and on about it but I wont. Does anyone know what "UTM" stands for. Make sure you use your best Rad-Con skills when you go there and listen to the house Technicians because they know what they are dealing with and they will help you if you let them. Just don't go there and try to do things the Commercial way because that isn't their way. Remember when in Rome do as the Romans do and you that haven't been there before will be fine. Take care Henry

Who knows I may be there one day soon myself.

Offline johnnieslingshot

• Moderate User
  • Let's go bowl-diving
« Reply #55 on: Jun 01, 2009, 07:11 »
"UTM" stands for "UN_TOLD MILLIONS"  DPM usually referring to the extent of alpha contamination in parts of the "canyons".  Doesn't that sound like a fun place to be??? :D
You had better on your toes working around that stuff or you will wind up with an uptake, and PU has a 200 year effective 1/2 life.  Chelation therapy needs to happen almost immediately after intake.

Offline HenryBlack

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #56 on: Jun 02, 2009, 06:48 »
Good answer Johnnie. I guess you have been there before too. Pu 239 will jump up an bite you so anyone going to the Canyons must stay on their toes.

duke99301

« Reply #57 on: Jun 02, 2009, 09:32 »
I was There back in the early 90's With 'AR CHEAP'
what a place was having to do my quals with some gal who came out the office pool ......
oh will DOE never changes I spent 11 years at handford they has us out on over time bagging up hot tumble weeds reading around 500 mr/hr.
ah the good ole days...

Offline fueldryer

• Heavy User
  • Call Before You Dig !
« Reply #58 on: Jun 02, 2009, 10:28 »
what a place was having to do my quals with some gal who came out the office pool ......
oh will DOE never changes I spent 11 years at handford they has us out on over time bagging up hot tumble weeds reading around 500 mr/hr.
ah the good ole days...
Were you drinking when you posted this?
Call Before You Dig!

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #59 on: Jun 02, 2009, 10:45 »
ah the good ole days...

Eats, Shoots & Leaves may help with your use of apostrophes, commas, semicolons, colons, exclamation marks, question marks, quotation marks, italic type, dashes, brackets, ellipses, emoticons, and hyphens. Capitalization, plurals, and composition could use a little work too, but then fueldryer may be right. Either way, its easier to read SloGlo's posts  ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eats,_Shoots_&_Leaves

Offline namlive

• Moderate User
« Reply #60 on: Jun 06, 2009, 06:39 »
Pu 239 is not the jumper, it is Pu238. The yellow Ro2's are being taken out of service and are being replaced with a high end digital meter with a detector that can be tossed. 238 is what was used on the Cassini project. 238 is in a form that has a static charge (like Styrofoam peanuts). It moves by the charge, irregardless of airflow. Once an area gets contaminated with 238, it is never clean again, even when I say it is clean again. You will find ghost smears of low level alpha, that when you recheck, its gone! Gee, must have gotten it all with that one smear, then months later its back, another 22 dpm alpha smear.  UTM was used mostly on B-line (which is in the Canyon building, but not considered part of the canyon.) I have been on top F canyon and in the Hot canyon maintenance area, in the neptunium room, and smeared inside TRU glove boxes and never saw UTM, just "told" millions. The general rule is that if you know it is grossly contaminated, you don't smear it for curiosity or to just get a number to put on a survey.

A few months ago SRNL tested out strippable paint, so we are moving forward. This week we are piloting the use of lightweight disposable coveralls for heat stress. Sometimes I am surprised we have computers. We just spent $5,000 for an all stainless steel custom made sink cabinet (they kept the top portion from the old sink). For that price we should have gotten a marble and gold sink. That sink will still be here after are we are all dust and the cockroaches are running the planet.
No one gets out alive.

longbow55

« Reply #61 on: Jun 07, 2009, 12:32 »
In '96 we tried strippable paint in the labs at SRS, it was a total waste of time. At another project I found a product that would encapsulate great amounts of Pu contamination. It is called Fire Dam made by 3M. It was produced originally to be a fire retardant, but we found it to be a great encapsulate, and if you use it right it may work as a strippable. If you can confine the Pu in a sealed atmosphere and spray it with stuff it's not going anywhere.

Yeah I know about the high range alpha instruments you are talking about. Cost is very reasonable, has internal electronic check, probe is 100cm2 costs about $150.00 just toss it and get another. Makes it easy to use in a glovebox or tank. They read out in DPM in digital. Great instrument. We started using them years ago.

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #62 on: Jul 26, 2009, 11:55 »
Does anyone know if Aerotek has any technicians at SRS. They have been talking to me about staffing there for about 2 weeks and I was wondering if they are trying to get in or if they already have people there. 

moochiebubble

« Reply #63 on: Aug 14, 2009, 04:00 »
Carolina Jethro , I would talk to Noramtec. They are paying best wage and seem to take better care of their people. v/r moochiebubble

Offline Hraesvelg

• Light User
« Reply #64 on: Aug 17, 2009, 10:25 »
I have a question, if anyone can answer it for me? What's the time frame for an answer about resume acceptance @ SRS? It's going on three weeks! That"s with Noramtech! Can anyone let me know? Thanks. pboothroadog. Also I'm trying to find Joe Quinton, has anyone seen or heard from him and Deanna? If so give him this cell number 302 489 9160.

+1

I'm still waiting to hear from Talascend.

Offline Hraesvelg

• Light User
« Reply #65 on: Aug 17, 2009, 03:21 »
SRS cries about needing techs but drag their feet on the going over our resumes. What is up with that? You would think they would take some energy pills and speed up the process, because not everyone can pass the core test anyway.

How hard is the core test anyway?

Is it like the SAT of the nuke world?

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #66 on: Aug 17, 2009, 03:45 »
How hard is the core test anyway?

Is it like the SAT of the nuke world?

No, it isn't like the SAT...it is aimed specifically at Radiation Protection knowledge...and is only for the D.O.E. side of the nuke world.

As far as being hard, I would definitely study for it.  How hard & long you need to study will depend on your background.
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Hraesvelg

• Light User
« Reply #67 on: Aug 17, 2009, 04:11 »
No, it isn't like the SAT...it is aimed specifically at Radiation Protection knowledge...and is only for the D.O.E. side of the nuke world.

As far as being hard, I would definitely study for it.  How hard & long you need to study will depend on your background.

B.S. Physics
M.E. Nuclear engineering
4 years as an HP at a fuel fabrication facility

What do you think?

Offline pbooth

• Light User
« Reply #68 on: Aug 17, 2009, 04:30 »
No it's not like the SAT test, but SRS HAS A 95% FAILURE rate about! You tell me! Is that hard enough for you?

Offline johnnieslingshot

• Moderate User
  • Let's go bowl-diving
« Reply #69 on: Aug 18, 2009, 08:16 »
"booth"

Try contacting Jerry Denton (803-208-0969).  He approves all resumes for subcontractors and he will be able to tell you the straight poop.  The core exam isn't really too much harder than the NUF and way easier than the NAVSEA article 108 exam.  Every time I took the exam I just read through the DOE study guide a couple of times ... never made less than 94.  You can also contact me if you have any other questions.  If I do not know the answer I will find it and let  you know via this site.  803-725-6849  Mon - Thur 0600 -1600

slingshot  aka ... John Connor

Offline pbooth

• Light User
« Reply #70 on: Aug 18, 2009, 08:34 »
Thank you slingshot, I hope I didn't offend anyone,with my comments about SRS, thats not my intent. We all get a little frustrated from time to time. Thanks again, hope to see you in the nukes somewhere. booth

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #71 on: Aug 18, 2009, 01:38 »
B.S. Physics
M.E. Nuclear engineering

What do you think?

Get the study guide and put in some time on it.  Some of the questions are worded oddly, so you need to be used to how they phrase things.
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline RP Instructor

• Moderate User
  • Those who "can", "do", and go on to teach others.
« Reply #72 on: Aug 20, 2009, 02:54 »
No it's not like the SAT test, but SRS HAS A 95% FAILURE rate about! You tell me! Is that hard enough for you?

Whoa....the failure rate is no where near 95%. It's  actually averaging 50%, since we began giving the exam back in April of this year (for the current staffing blitz at SRS). The success rate is low due to a number of factors, including: a.) candidates don't have the pre-requisite academic knowledge [including above average reading skills, and the ability to solve mathematical equations, including algebraic equations] b.) the fact that a passing grade is > 80 c). recruiters are not providing test candidates with the DOE CORE Exam study guide (which SRS provided) and d.) candidates are not properly studying and preparing for the exam.
SRS has provided an instructor to review the material and help students prepare for the exam, but that alone has not proven to be enough.
Bottomline? Candidates are not preparing themselves for the exam prior to sitting for it.

Offline RP Instructor

• Moderate User
« Reply #73 on: Aug 21, 2009, 11:39 »
B.S. Physics
M.E. Nuclear engineering

What do you think?

Get your hands on a copy of the DOE CORE Exam Study Guide (SRS provided it to the approved staffing recruiters), review it, and you'll do well.

Offline RP Instructor

• Moderate User
« Reply #74 on: Aug 21, 2009, 11:43 »
Carolina Jethro , I would talk to Noramtec. They are paying best wage and seem to take better care of their people. v/r moochiebubble

I worked with Phil Cyr at NORAMTEC (philc@normatec.com) on obtaining my assignment at SRS. He has treated me very well. He's a good man.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?