Portsmouth

Above Average
4 (12.9%)
Average
7 (22.6%)
Below Average
20 (64.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Portsmouth  (Read 41540 times)

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
Re: Portsmouth
« Reply #25 on: Jul 29, 2009, 04:40 »
Leave it to me to have to get this thing back on topic, like always.......... :D

White House spokesman Benjamin LaBolt said Tuesday that "the president remains fully committed to ensuring that the United States maintains domestic uranium enrichment technology and the capacity to meet our nuclear energy needs and national security priorities." But he added that the USEC technology "is not commercially viable today, according to an independent engineering review, and therefore not eligible for DOE's loan guarantee program at this time." He said the administration thinks the technology "holds promise."

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #26 on: Jul 29, 2009, 09:41 »
Leave it to me to have to get this thing back on topic, like always.......... :D

BWAHAHAHA! Dave you kill me.

It is very unfortunate that the loans will not happen. Maybe they will relocate the work to another facility? ??? ::)
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #27 on: Jul 30, 2009, 07:45 »
STAYING ON TOPIC.....AS USUAL

The Department of Energy announced today that it will further expand and accelerate cleanup efforts of cold-war era contamination at the Portsmouth site in Piketon, Ohio – an investment worth about $150 to $200 million per year for the next four years that is expected to create 800 to 1000 new jobs. At the same time, the Department has encouraged USEC to withdraw its application for loan guarantee funding
for the American Centrifuge Plant in Piketon. This would allow USEC to work over the next 12-18 months to continue research, development, and testing to resolve the technology issues facing ACP without hurting the chances of USEC to secure approval for a loan guarantee in the future.
“While we believe USEC needs time to develop its technology and demonstrate that it can be deployed at a commercial scale, we’re moving forward with other investments that will create good, high-paying jobs in the community,” said Energy Secretary Steven Chu.
“USEC will have another chance to resubmit their application if they can overcome the technical and financial hurdles, but in the meantime we’ll put more people to work in the environmental cleanup effort.” The Department of Energy has worked closely with USEC since the Obama
Administration took office to evaluate their loan application. The Department sees promise in the ACP technology a next generation uranium enrichment technology, but DOE’s technical and financial review indicates the project is not yet ready to move to commercial scale operations and therefore USEC’s application would likely not meet the legal requirements of the 2005 EPACT statute and the subsequent Title 17 loan guarantee regulations. Therefore, the Department is offering up to $45 million over the next 18 months to support ongoing ACP research and development activities. Should USEC accept this offer, it would allow them to continue operations, maintenance, and research activities at Piketon and Oak Ridge, and give USEC additional time to strengthen the technical and financial aspects of the application should USEC decide to resubmit it.
The $150 to $200 million investment in environmental cleanup at Piketon is in addition to the $118 million provided through the President’s American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. The new investment will be funded by providing excess uranium from the Department’s existing stockpiles in exchange for services. This uranium is in excess of what the U.S. government needs and can be safely enriched for civilian nuclear
power production, helping to meet our country’s energy needs while supporting important cleanup activities. The Department of Energy has used an exchange of excess uranium in a number of instances to pay for needed services.
“The Cold War left a legacy of environmental contamination at Piketon,” said Secretary Chu. “Today’s announcement means that the United States will be using another remnant of that era – excess uranium stockpiles – to fund the cleanup, while creating new jobs and helping the nation meet our energy needs. It represents the best path forward.”
The 800 to 1000 new jobs created by today’s announcement will more than offset any job losses among the current 750 workers at ACP, many of whom will be able to either continue their work at ACP or be hired as part of the expanded cleanup effort. If USEC does not withdraw the application, the Department will likely take formal action on it soon. USEC’s other activities, especially the ongoing operations of the Highly
Enriched Uranium agreement with Russia and the reliable uranium enrichment operations at Paducah, should not be affected by this decision. The HEU agreement remains a critical national security priority and provides attractive financial returns for USEC.
Likewise, the Paducah operations have a useful life of another 5-10 years and should continue without interruption.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #28 on: Jul 30, 2009, 08:45 »
STAYING ON TOPIC.....AS USUAL

The Department of Energy announced today that it will further expand and accelerate cleanup efforts of cold-war era contamination at the Portsmouth site in Piketon, Ohio – an investment worth about $150 to $200 million per year for the next four years that is expected to create 800 to 1000 new jobs. At the same time, the Department has encouraged USEC to withdraw its application for loan guarantee funding
for the American Centrifuge Plant in Piketon. This would allow USEC to work over the next 12-18 months to continue research, development, and testing to resolve the technology issues facing ACP without hurting the chances of USEC to secure approval for a loan guarantee in the future.
“While we believe USEC needs time to develop its technology and demonstrate that it can be deployed at a commercial scale, we’re moving forward with other investments that will create good, high-paying jobs in the community,” said Energy Secretary Steven Chu.
“USEC will have another chance to resubmit their application if they can overcome the technical and financial hurdles, but in the meantime we’ll put more people to work in the environmental cleanup effort.” The Department of Energy has worked closely with USEC since the Obama
Administration took office to evaluate their loan application. The Department sees promise in the ACP technology a next generation uranium enrichment technology, but DOE’s technical and financial review indicates the project is not yet ready to move to commercial scale operations and therefore USEC’s application would likely not meet the legal requirements of the 2005 EPACT statute and the subsequent Title 17 loan guarantee regulations. Therefore, the Department is offering up to $45 million over the next 18 months to support ongoing ACP research and development activities. Should USEC accept this offer, it would allow them to continue operations, maintenance, and research activities at Piketon and Oak Ridge, and give USEC additional time to strengthen the technical and financial aspects of the application should USEC decide to resubmit it.
The $150 to $200 million investment in environmental cleanup at Piketon is in addition to the $118 million provided through the President’s American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. The new investment will be funded by providing excess uranium from the Department’s existing stockpiles in exchange for services. This uranium is in excess of what the U.S. government needs and can be safely enriched for civilian nuclear
power production, helping to meet our country’s energy needs while supporting important cleanup activities. The Department of Energy has used an exchange of excess uranium in a number of instances to pay for needed services.
“The Cold War left a legacy of environmental contamination at Piketon,” said Secretary Chu. “Today’s announcement means that the United States will be using another remnant of that era – excess uranium stockpiles – to fund the cleanup, while creating new jobs and helping the nation meet our energy needs. It represents the best path forward.”
The 800 to 1000 new jobs created by today’s announcement will more than offset any job losses among the current 750 workers at ACP, many of whom will be able to either continue their work at ACP or be hired as part of the expanded cleanup effort. If USEC does not withdraw the application, the Department will likely take formal action on it soon. USEC’s other activities, especially the ongoing operations of the Highly
Enriched Uranium agreement with Russia and the reliable uranium enrichment operations at Paducah, should not be affected by this decision. The HEU agreement remains a critical national security priority and provides attractive financial returns for USEC.
Likewise, the Paducah operations have a useful life of another 5-10 years and should continue without interruption.

http://www.energy.gov/news2009/7702.htm

Keln

« Reply #29 on: Aug 01, 2009, 12:29 »

White House spokesman Benjamin LaBolt said Tuesday that "the president remains fully committed to ensuring that the United States maintains domestic uranium enrichment technology and the capacity to meet our nuclear energy needs and national security priorities." But he added that the USEC technology "is not commercially viable today, according to an independent engineering review, and therefore not eligible for DOE's loan guarantee program at this time." He said the administration thinks the technology "holds promise."

The DOE announced their decision before the independent engineering review was completed. The review team was in our facility a few weeks ago. The DOE made their announcement on Monday night. The engineering team did not submit their report until Tuesday. Anyone who knows the DOE (or any government agency) knows they do not make decisions in a day. Also, the actual report was favorable to USEC, so the DOE could not have gone by it at all.
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2009, 12:34 by Keln »

liberalLes

« Reply #30 on: Aug 03, 2009, 10:18 »
I just want to know why there has been no national media coverage of what is happening with this decision...there were 3 busloads of USEC employees that went to Washington over the weekend to protest and no one covered it.  Ohio Rep. Jean Schmidt spoke before Congress last week and I couldn't even find it on C-Span. What in the world is going on?

I work for the ACP Project and I heard that the independent review was favorable too. How will anyone ever know the truth about this whole fiasco? It is very frustrating!!!

liberalLes

« Reply #31 on: Aug 05, 2009, 04:32 »
 >:(

Well, the DOE is giving USEC 6 months before making a final decision on the loan guarantee. In the meantime, we continue to de-mobilize and hundreds of people are losing their jobs just here in Piketon. I don't know what is happening with all of our suppliers/vendors. Its really bad here and locals are very upset. By the end of August construction at the ACP will be completely shut down.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #32 on: Aug 05, 2009, 05:01 »
>:(

Well, the DOE is giving USEC 6 months before making a final decision on the loan guarantee. In the meantime, we continue to de-mobilize and hundreds of people are losing their jobs just here in Piketon. I don't know what is happening with all of our suppliers/vendors. Its really bad here and locals are very upset. By the end of August construction at the ACP will be completely shut down.

If you have any good Rad Techs, I got some friends looking for people to staff Turkey Point, Seabrook and Point Beach.
The name of their company doesn't start with an A or a B either. (That's Atlantic and Bartlett for you low-IQers...)

Keln

« Reply #33 on: Mar 16, 2011, 05:44 »
I just want to know why there has been no national media coverage of what is happening with this decision...there were 3 busloads of USEC employees that went to Washington over the weekend to protest and no one covered it.  Ohio Rep. Jean Schmidt spoke before Congress last week and I couldn't even find it on C-Span. What in the world is going on?

I work for the ACP Project and I heard that the independent review was favorable too. How will anyone ever know the truth about this whole fiasco? It is very frustrating!!!

Seems like a long time ago now, but I will never forget that trip to Washington. I hate buses now. And politicians.

crager34

« Reply #34 on: Apr 28, 2011, 03:16 »
What is going on with the facility?  Just got a call from a recruiter and said they are hiring.

Myster Danger

« Reply #35 on: Apr 29, 2011, 01:05 »
From what I understand, hiring there will be picking up. I have seen some posting for "future expected positions" to get resumes (IMO).  I know a handful of former Mounders, Fernald engineers and QC guys that have recently started with FBP. Personally, I'll be glad to see it happen once they sort through the chaos.

Danger

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?