Portsmouth

Above Average
4 (12.9%)
Average
7 (22.6%)
Below Average
20 (64.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Portsmouth  (Read 41520 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Portsmouth
« on: Jan 28, 2003, 07:12 »
Talk About: Portsmouth

« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2007, 12:41 by Camella Black »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Portsmouth Contracts
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2003, 07:19 »
Please reply to this topic if you have (or know who has) a contract at this facility.  If you (they) have multiple contracts (i.e. QC & NDE) please mention all of them.  Also, please remember to post company contact information, including but not limited to company phone number, email and web site address.  Also, if there is a specific person at the company people should ask for, you should mention their name and extension. We maintain a chart of contracts, the information posted here will be added to the contract chart.

This includes any information on Local Unions!
Chart: http://www.nukeworker.com/jobs/contract_lists

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Portsmouth
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2003, 07:25 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
Re: Portsmouth Contracts
« Reply #3 on: Jun 29, 2004, 01:30 »
I received this on Portsmouth, if it helps at all.USEC Selects Fluor as Engineer for American Centrifuge Uranium Enrichment Plant

Jun 23, 2004

Bethesda, MD-USEC Inc. (NYSE: USU) announced today that it has selected Fluor Enterprises, Inc., a subsidiary of Fluor Corp. (NYSE: FLR), to provide engineering, procurement and construction management services for USEC's American Centrifuge Plant in Piketon, Ohio. This next-generation uranium enrichment facility is expected to be operational by the end of the decade.

Fluor's responsibilities over the next two years will include design and detailed engineering from its Greenville, S.C., operations center for USEC's 3.5 million SWU (separative work unit) American Centrifuge Plant. Award value for the design and engineering work was not disclosed. In 2006, USEC and Fluor expect to agree on terms for a fixed-price contract covering all major aspects of plant construction, apart from centrifuge machines. USEC will announce its centrifuge machine manufacturers at a later date.

"Fluor is an excellent company for us to partner with to build the American Centrifuge Plant," said USEC Senior Vice President Ron Green. "They're one of the world's leading engineering and construction companies, with broad experience and a solid reputation for building world-scale projects on a cost-certain basis. They're also very familiar with our project, having played a major role in the design of the U.S. Department of Energy's (DOE) original centrifuge plant, at the same site as our facility."

"Our entire team is committed to the success of USEC's American Centrifuge program, which is vital for U.S. energy security and the growth of nuclear power," said Henry Van Dyke, a senior vice president within Fluor's Industrial group. "Although we build projects all over the world, we're particularly pleased for this opportunity to return to Piketon to help finish a project we began 25 years ago."

In the 1980s, Fluor was responsible for major design elements of DOE's Gas Centrifuge Enrichment Plant (GCEP). DOE canceled the project in 1985 before the plant was completed, but key infrastructure, including process buildings large enough to house 20 football fields, remains in place. USEC plans to use this infrastructure for the American Centrifuge Plant.

USEC's American Centrifuge is based on the same proven technology developed by DOE, but with expected improvements in efficiency through the use of state-of-the-art materials, control systems and manufacturing processes. As a result, American Centrifuge is anticipated to be the world's most efficient uranium enrichment technology.

"USEC's American Centrifuge Plant will play a key role in supporting our nation's energy security and national security interests, while providing a reliable, competitive fuel source for the world's nuclear power plants," Green said. "We are excited that Fluor has joined our team to help ensure the success of this important project."

This news release contains forward-looking information (within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995) that involves risks and uncertainty, including certain assumptions regarding the future performance of USEC. Actual results and trends may differ materially depending upon a variety of factors, which are described in USEC's periodic filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. These SEC filings are available on USEC's website, www.usec.com.

USEC Inc., a global energy company, is the world's leading supplier of enriched uranium fuel for commercial nuclear power plants.

Druid

« Reply #4 on: Jul 01, 2004, 11:05 »
There are 2 (soon to be 4) contracts when you talk abouts Portsmouth.

CURRENT

1. United States Enrichment Corp.(USEC) is maintaining the old enrichment equipment in a cold standby condition and they are doing some clean up work for DOE. They have their own HPs and NDEs but also have some Bartlett techs.

2. Bechtel Jacobs LLC BJC)is running the clean-up for DOE. Safety & Ecology Corp (SEC) has the HP subcontract

NEAR FUTURE

1.USEC will retain all its current work plus they are building a small scale new technology enrichment facility which will probably lead to a full scale new facility in the next 4-10 years. HP and NDE will probable remain as they are, although numbers will probably increase

2 & 3. BJC's contract is being replaced by 2 contracts, one for clean-up work and one for maintaining the infrastructure. These contract are scheduled for award on 26 August. No idea who will get them or how they will handle HP needs.

4. Uranium Disposotion Services (UDS) will be starting construction this summer on a facility to convert depleted uranium hexaflouride into an oxide form for DOE. The DOE has enough material to convert to keep the new facility running for at least 18 years. No idea how they will handle their HP needs.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Jul 01, 2004, 12:28 »
Hey Druid,
Do you have any idea who is the front runner for getting the upcoming D & D work?
Our company (Closure Services) was in the bidding pool, and I was wondering if you had heard anything.

Druid

« Reply #6 on: Jul 01, 2004, 01:01 »
No I haven't heard any rumors about the contracts.

oldradman

« Reply #7 on: Jun 17, 2005, 06:15 »
Does any one have any info. on a  Company   called Parallax? I hear they are into the DOE Contracts,     for Rad techs.
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2005, 06:33 by oldradman »

Offline BeDaBullet

• Light User
  • 'GENERAL DELIVERY'
« Reply #8 on: Jun 17, 2005, 09:55 »
http://www.parallaxabq.com/    company located north of D.C.  Have not known anyone who has worked for them...sorry I can not help any more than that................Bob and Jackie Evans
“California is a fine place to live — if you happen to be an orange.”

Anitatech

« Reply #9 on: Jun 27, 2005, 10:56 »
Parallax has teamed up with a company called LATA and together they have formed a company named LATA-PARALLAX and have been awarded the bid at Portsmouth as the prime contractor for infrastructure and D&D (replacing Bechtel-Jacobs).They are using Enercon to staff health physics positions.Today was the first day of the new contract!!!!

Offline Mounder

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Portsmouth
« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 2006, 11:06 »
Clicky (who you know not what you know) site- Lazy staff- Has been plagued by weak management- middle of nowhere

Offline DecommMan

• Leave the Decommissioning to us.
  • Moderate User
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2006, 01:37 »
Hmmmm - you either really like it or hate it.
Decomm Man

Keln

« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2009, 11:03 »
Wow...this topic went stale. Alot has changed at the facility. Big doings here at USEC. Lots of jobs to be had at the new ACP facility.

Offline tntplayer

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2009, 12:01 »
Keln...can you supply contact information on the avaiable jobs at the ACP facility?

Keln

« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2009, 01:52 »
I'll post the info for that this evening.

Keln

« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2009, 06:38 »
Company: USEC Inc
Type of Facility: Gas Centrifuge Low Enriched Uranium

This is where the big American Centrifuge Project facility is being built. If you don't know what that is, it's basically the first real production-level centrifuge uranium enrichment facility in the US. It will also be the highest SWU and highest SWU for cost ever designed. Construction is already underway, and alot has already been built. Right now the company is looking to fill employment, as parts of the plan will soon be operational. This is a ground-floor opportunity, and they are really looking for you navy nukes as well as anyone with commercial experience. They are primarily going through recruiting firms like Lucas Group and Soar. I would not suggest trying to go straight through their HR, since they are very busy right now with all the new hires.

Here's the contact info for the guy I went with:

Hal Zabrowski 
Owner
G-Force Recruiting
Office:  954-642-8339
Cell:     954-288-7269

He's one of the best recruiters I've dealt with, and I've had to deal with alot of them over the past year. He's one of the recruiters working directly with USEC. There are also conferences all over the country, but I don't have any info on those.

You will need to be able to pass a physical exam (standard with blood test and urinalysis after 12hrs of fasting). Also you'll need to be able to obtain a Q clearance.

Just as a side note, the website doesn't seem to list jobs very much. The job I got, I never even saw on there. You'll have to get job listings from a recruiter or at a conference.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:31 »
From all of the people I have talked to, if you like living in Bumf**k Egypt, I mean Ohio, this is the place for you.

Not alot for quality of life. Entertainment factor is nil.

Chillicothe or Columbus is the closest. If you don't like the Ohio State Buckeyes, then you are an alien.

Keln

« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2009, 09:49 »
Well, it's not the best place in the country to live, I'll agree, but it's not that bad either. Chillicothe isn't far from Piketon, I live there and it doesn't take long to drive to the site. From Chillicothe, Columbus isn't far away, and that's a good city for just about anything. I am a Buckeye fan, so for me, I am not in enemy territory for the first time in my life. But for location, what football team I root for was pretty low on my list of priorities. ;)

As for overall area of the country, it takes me 8 hours to drive to Philly, and there's alot of good Cities you can get to in less than 12 hours from south-central Ohio. There's also plenty of major highways through the region, so you don't have to worry about driving long stretches on crappy roads to get somewhere. If you aren't willing to drive an hour to go to concerts or big events, then you are right, entertainment factor is nil. If you are willing to drive an hour, you'll have access to alot of things. About an and a half can get you to Cincinnatti, or about 3 hours to Louisville, KY. 45 mins to 1hr can get you to Columbus. A little over an hour to King's Island and a little over 3 hrs to the best roller coaster park in the country, Cedar Point. 3 hours to Indinapolis, 6 hours to Chicago, 4 and some change to Detroit, 3.5-4hrs to Pittsburgh, and 9.5 hrs to NYC. You could definitely do worse than south-central Ohio for a location.

And just to clarify, the Portsmouth site is not in Portsmouth, OH which is further south (about 45 mins) on the river. It's in Piketon.

If you enjoy urban living with little driving, then this place is probably not for you.

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
  • Stop Talking, Just Do It!!!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2009, 06:05 »
Keln,

Do you who the contract company would be for the Health Physics and/or Procedure Writing?

Thanks!!

Keln

« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2009, 07:03 »
I was under the impression that the USEC Government Services part of the company handled HP/IH, but I don't know that for sure since I haven't bumped into many HP folks yet. I can sure find out though.

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
  • Stop Talking, Just Do It!!!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 10, 2009, 09:45 »
Thanks Keln, I would greatly appreciate that!  Since their site indicates no open jobs currently, I would need to know who to send my resume to.  Feel free to email me direct.

K to ya!

Lorrie

therealville

« Reply #21 on: Jul 17, 2009, 10:42 »
Is USEC going to get the loan gaurentee or will Areva get it???? Anyone have any inside info?

liberalLes

« Reply #22 on: Jul 28, 2009, 01:59 »
 :'(

USEC did not get the loan guarantee and the DOE is trying to put a spin on things by saying that jobs will be created for clean-up (for which funding was granted). The ACP Project is a totally different entity and approximately 6,000 jobs will impacted across the mid-west and south eastern U.S.  Obama went back on a promise to governor Strickland. Does that surprise anyone?

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #23 on: Jul 28, 2009, 03:30 »
Keln,

Do you who the contract company would be for the Health Physics and/or Procedure Writing?

Thanks!!

You can talk to a couple of companies.
LATA / Parallax Portsmouth, AKA LPP is one.
Aerotek looks for procedure writers at Piketon every couple of weeks.
Fluor has people there.
Pro2Serve has people there.
Energy Solutions has people there.
Bartlett may have people there soon.

Don't forget! Going to Wal-Mart is an event in this town.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #24 on: Jul 29, 2009, 12:43 »
:'(

USEC did not get the loan guarantee and the DOE is trying to put a spin on things by saying that jobs will be created for clean-up (for which funding was granted). The ACP Project is a totally different entity and approximately 6,000 jobs will impacted across the mid-west and south eastern U.S.  Obama went back on a promise to governor Strickland. Does that surprise anyone?

Ph:        202-456-1414
Please call and ask the President, in the strongest possible terms, to reconsider his decision not to issue a loan guarantee to the USEC Piketon, Ohio Project. Hundreds of workers are being laid off tomorrow, 07-30-09.  Please save our jobs and our future.

CONGRESSWOMAN JEAN SCHMIDT ASKS PRESIDENT TO KEEP HIS WORD AND OVERTURN D.O.E. DECISION TO ELIMINATE 1,600 JOBS AT PIKETON PLANT
Washington, D.C. – Today Congresswoman Jean Schmidt, whose district includes the Department of Energy’s Piketon facility, sent President Obama a letter imploring him to keep his word and overturn the Department of Energy’s decision to deny USEC a loan guarantee for the construction of the American Centrifuge Plant. The action by the Department of Energy will cost approximately 5,700 workers their jobs and end the prospect of another 2,300 jobs that had been planned this year.
“Mr. President, you wrote Governor Strickland on September 2, 2008 and said that the
current workforce in Piketon and the surrounding areas 'will play a critical role in our
national domestic energy supply through private sector and government initiatives.' In
that letter to Governor Strickland, you further added, 'Under my administration, energy
programs that promote safe and environmentally sound technologies and are domestically
produced, such as the enrichment facility in Ohio, will have my full support. I will work
with the Department of Energy to help make loan guarantees available for this and other
advanced-energy programs that reduce carbon emissions and break the tie to high cost,
foreign energy sources,'” Schmidt stated in her letter to President Obama.
Late last evening the White House organized a hastily-arranged conference call with
legislators to announce that the Department of Energy would not issue a loan guarantee
for the American Centrifuge Plant as it is authorized to do by Congress. This morning
USEC announced it was “demobilizing” the project.
“I encourage everyone from the Governor to every resident of our community to call the
White House at 202.456.1414 and ask the President, in the strongest possible terms, to
reconsider. He is our only hope at this point,” Schmidt concluded.
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2009, 12:45 by DaveWarren »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?