Facility & Company Information > Paducah

Paducah

<< < (2/6) > >>

thenukeman:
I  heard Bechtel  Jacobs  has  been  extended  till  March 2005  and  so  has  SEC.  Is  this  true???

Also  I  heard  that  both  Paducah  and  Porthsmouth  are  coming  out  from  the  control  of  the  Oak  Ridge  office  but  will  be  controlled  out  of  Lexington  KY.  Is  this  True.

Who  are  the  bidders  on  this??  I  heard  Bechtel  is  not  bidding.  Is  this  true??

Druid:
Yes, to all your questions. But the actual time frame for any of these things is impossible to say. There are political and legal issues involved with the new contracts and the splitting of DOE control from Oak Ridge. All of these changes were supposed to happen months ago, but they keep getting pushed back.

Dave Warren:
http://www.ohio.doe.gov./pppo_seb/remediation/index.html will give you some assistance in answering those questions. Look around that site and you will find some good information.

Last word was that the remediation contracts would be awarded or announced  in January 2005.

Fast Fission:
Is it typical for DOE to have this much trouble issuing a contract?

Dave Warren:
The contract issuance is not usually this much of a hassle. There are many factors involved here.

Portsmouth Remediation is a 5 to 7-year job. That's big for any company.

The DOE is opening up a "Central Office" in Cincinnati around April or May to control all of the DOE sector. Centralizing that many people can be a logistics nightmare. That is on their plate right now.

You are seeing small companies throwing their hats in the proverbial D&D ring. Our company was the first "small business" to get a baseline schedule approved by the DOE. There were only 3 other times a baseline was approved, and those were all by "large companies".

Politics, red tape, bureaucratic holdups, palm-greasing, etc.

The DOE is trying to do Damage Control with the Fernald/Yucca Mountain public relations nightmare. This is referring to their Silo waste.

All these factors need to be weighed before the awarding of the contract. I surely wouldn't want their job. These statements are all based on hearsay, rumor, supposition and pure facts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version