NTS

Above Average
6 (35.3%)
Average
4 (23.5%)
Below Average
7 (41.2%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Nevada Test Site (NTS)  (Read 55900 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Nevada Test Site (NTS)
« on: Jan 28, 2003, 07:04 »
Don't forget to vote. Please keep it civil.
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2007, 09:13 by Marlin »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Nevada Test Site (NTS)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2003, 07:25 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2006, 10:00 by Rennhack »

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
Nevada Test Site
« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2004, 11:25 »
If anyone has a favorite hang out, place to shop, or local information for this area please post it here.

LaFeet

Re: Nevada Test Site
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2006, 07:59 »
I was out there in the summer of 2003.  Loved the job, but they did not pay travel out.  They also did not pay for time traveled to the job site (hopefully this has been fixed).  I and the crew would drive some 65 miles to the jobsite just to start our 12 hour shift. 

I stayed onsite to help offset the lower per diem (70 $/day).  The rooms were 20 $/day long term but had little to no cooking facilities.

On days off I managed to crawl through some of the abandonded mines and towns that were not off limits, allways had a radio and meter with me to help stave off any security guards.

Staying at Mercury is just over an hour away from the Las Vegas Strip.. nuff said.

LaFeet

« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2006, 03:56 »
NOT IN MERCURY... gotta hit Vegas,  nuff said

alphadude

« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2006, 09:18 »
that flashing red light down the road from mercury aint a traffic signal.. go to death valley its not to far away. this time of year its fantastic.

LaFeet

« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2006, 09:58 »
I meant to do that.... but always wound up in Vegas for some silly reason.....I might need help

RadTrashMan

« Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 2006, 12:01 »
Good bye Bechtel Nevada.....Hello National Security Technologies. (Northrop Grumman, CH2M Hill, et al.) ;D ;D ;D

http://www.nv.doe.gov/library/newsreleases/NSTecAwardedContract_03282005.pdf

I guess I'll have to dust off those B-2 Stealth Bomber airplane plans.  I know I had them somewhere here...

LaFeet

« Reply #8 on: Mar 29, 2006, 02:17 »
CH2M Hill... are these the guys that just wrapped up Mound in Ohio?  ???

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 2006, 09:53 »
Great people, good area.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Apr 11, 2006, 10:00 »
Vegas is the only place, but who could ask for more!
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Apr 12, 2006, 04:52 »
Was there in 2004, now have travel in but no pay for on site travel. Ours was 1 1/2 hours each way and then a 12 hr shift. 15 hr days with only 12 pay, you do the math. Not much dicussion here either......huh Mike

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Apr 14, 2006, 05:25 »
With Vegas 75 miles away and Parumph 45 miles away the stay on site deal (20 dollars a night) is appealing since you work 12s. Indians Springs is about 15 miles away but has only 1 motel.

LaFeet

« Reply #13 on: Apr 15, 2007, 02:15 »
With Vegas 75 miles away 

Was it that far away  I thought it only took us 45 minutes to get to the strip from Mercury?? 8)

LaFeet

« Reply #14 on: Apr 15, 2007, 02:47 »
Was there in 2004, now have travel in but no pay for on site travel. Ours was 1 1/2 hours each way and then a 12 hr shift. 15 hr days with only 12 pay, you do the math. Not much dicussion here either......huh Mike

Did it really take us that long to get the mountain???

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Apr 17, 2007, 05:12 »
You kept stopping at the Santa Fe, remember?

LaFeet

« Reply #16 on: Apr 20, 2007, 04:41 »
You kept stopping at the Santa Fe, remember?

Naw...  it only took 20 minutes to get there.  Ima talking about the Strip

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
Re: Nevada Test Site (NTS)
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2007, 05:46 »
Yea, and back too!

LaFeet

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2007, 04:41 »
All in all, I thought the NTS stint was a decent enough one.  Heck I was (and probably am still) a newby back then.  I was just out of a D&D project and needed something to help me slide into the outage schedules.  I managed to "trade" a NTS commitment for a shot at Riverbend.... and the rest is,  is... ah...  well I haven't killed anyone yet.

The work was easy enough at NTS except having to deal with the techs from Larwrence Livermoore... they had this misundestanding that the boundaries were there to spread contamination to its edges.... and it was okay to pick your nose in a CA outdoors?????

Loved working for the drill crews out there... Willie... how was that beer?

Id go back....earlier if the pay was bumped higher.

jm22283

« Reply #19 on: Oct 12, 2007, 11:41 »
 Can anyone help find out how to get employed at the NTS? I am just out of the DOD as a 2w2x1.

illegalsmile

« Reply #20 on: Oct 12, 2007, 11:57 »
uhhh, what's a 2w2x1? ???

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #21 on: Oct 12, 2007, 01:47 »
New 4 wheel drive?

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #22 on: Nov 20, 2007, 10:46 »
Can anyone help find out how to get employed at the NTS? I am just out of the DOD as a 2w2x1.

NTS recently had a massive layoff. However they are still posting jobs. :-\
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

golddawg

Nevada Test Site
« Reply #23 on: Mar 01, 2008, 01:15 »
Does anyone know the contractor running the Nevada Test Site and what is the HPT phone number for the HPT office? husky_gold@yahoo.com

Offline ole.peterson

• Lurker
« Reply #24 on: Mar 01, 2008, 01:53 »
 National Security Technologies is the main contractor for the Test Site. There web site is www.nstec.com.
Ole Peterson

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?