Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Interviewing with multiplant companies  

Author Topic: Interviewing with multiplant companies  (Read 7092 times)

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Interviewing with multiplant companies
« on: Sep 22, 2006, 10:54 »
Since I am just now starting to look for interviews I was wondering what the approach of multiple site companies is?  If you interview at one site do they pass on your info to the others, or is the whole process run by one big HR dept.  I know the web site seem to be one big hopper that spits out canidates to the plants but how does the interivew process work when a company needs people at differentr sites.  For example I know Dominion recently listed for operaors and both Surry and North Anna.  Would and applicant be interviewed for both jobs at one place or would a trip to each plant be required (I am of course assuming both jobs were applied for).  I guess I am wondering how much the individual plant figures into the process.

Thanks
Rob
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

NucEng for Hire

Re: Interviewing with multiplant companies
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2006, 11:10 »
In my experience, the POSS test taken once was then always accepted companywide, but it was not always the same for the interview. With Exelon, an interview at one plant led to an offer from another (which I never visited, only phone). With Entergy, I put in for postings at separate plants and had to interview at both. I would suspect that it's typically more the latter.
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2006, 11:18 by NucEng for Hire »

Fermi2

« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2006, 11:35 »
If there are seperate listings there will be seperate interviews.
If you bid two different jobs at the same plant there will be seperate interviews.

Mike

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2006, 07:56 »
Would and applicant be interviewed for both jobs at one place or would a trip to each plant be required (I am of course assuming both jobs were applied for).  I guess I am wondering how much the individual plant figures into the process.

I was talking to a couple of friends this month about competing plants in the same utility during interviews. Some plants want to know if you are interviewing with another at the same utility, and what your preference is. Walk on eggshells, because you won't get a job when the location is not your first choice (but they often know the interviewers at the other plant!)

If you bid 2 jobs at the same plant at the same time, you will defininitely be pinned down to a first choice. It is too expensive to train someone to have to worry about them laterally transferring as soon as they can...
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 2006, 10:16 »
Eggshells it is!! Likely I will not have to worry about it as I think my only targeting plants I want to be at (well at this point) will pay off in the long run.  Thanks to the info and advice I have gotten (much of it from here!!) I am well ahead of the getting out curve! (I hope).
Now for question along same line as start of thread.
How is this industry when you have an offer from one plant/company at making counter offers.  Say got offer from Company Spacely at plant Glowing, if I told Company Cogswell would they be more inclined to offer (assuming I had already interviewed) at plant Flux?
Along same line what about between two sites same company? (I am guessing the answer on this one will be a no poaching type of thing but I what to seek comfirmation on it anyways)

Thanks,
Rob

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2006, 01:29 »
If both are with the same utility, I would tell them and see if they would counter (assuming you were in the "I am considering their offer" phase). Perhaps they won't counter the salary, but might offer to improve the relocation package.

I guess that would apply to separate companies as well. One thing to remember: don't burn bridges. If you say "I WILL take the job for x$" then you will burn bridges if you don't take it. If they try to low-ball you, you would have every justification in taking the alternative position.

Case in point:
My sister backed out of a temp job about 15 years ago (I think) at Zion. She had just left Palo Verde without notice. The perfect job came along, and she took it. (Zion is now shutdown, and Palo Verde is the largest US Nuclear Power generator.) She found that everywhere she sends a resume now one of the people that she burned back then is in a position of influence with the prospective employer..... She has since left Nuclear.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: Sep 28, 2006, 08:06 »
I doubt playing one plant in a utility against another will help at all. They DO talk with each other and with standard payscales there's very little leeway anyway. It's also dangerous to play one utility against another, particularly if you are just entering the business. A guy like M1Ark or myself who were SROs in good standing at a Utility and we're in a hurry to leave had the ability to wait for what we wanted because we knew it would be forthcoming. Again it depends where you are at in your career.

Mike

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Sep 28, 2006, 09:44 »
The thought is not so much playing one against the other, more like if one offers telling the other (which might be the more desirable plant location) to see if they will offer.

Thanks
Rob

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?