Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu nub with some questions...

Author Topic: nub with some questions...  (Read 7058 times)

cjones2106

nub with some questions...
« on: Sep 24, 2006, 04:09 »
ok, first off, i want to thank all of you who told me that i made the right choice by picking the nuke field. i finished rtc about a month ago, and now i'm at nnptc. i'm doing great and enjoying navy benifits, thanks again.

now my question: i know i have plenty of time to decide, but i want to know if i should do 6 and out or make a carrer out of this. is the civi world really that good? what kind of things do i need to do while in the navy to set myself up for a successful position in the civi world? thanks again for you guidance!

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: nub with some questions...
« Reply #1 on: Sep 24, 2006, 06:54 »
OK sparky it great that you are doing well now,,, but 1) Keep you nose to the stone for awhile !!  2)  Do not talk about career until you get to the fleet and see what it is you are talking about making career. 3) Once in the fleet you do not know what the "REAL" Navy is like until yiou do your 1st deployment after that then decide if 20 is the thing for you!!  (and just so you know I did and have had 23 great years that come to an end in about 3 more months). 
One more thing if you want to set yourself up for a good positionh on the outside treat the Navy like you plan on making a career out of it. Simply stated that means bust your butt to be the best Sailor and operator you can and there will be no prob when you get out/ retire!!
Good Luck
Rob
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

Fermi2

« Reply #2 on: Sep 24, 2006, 07:15 »
If I may make a suggestion, first qualify something besides barracks roving watch and actually become a nuke. Second then come back and ask the question when you're a nuke.

Mike

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2006, 03:12 »
If I may make a suggestion, first qualify something besides barracks roving watch and actually become a nuke. Second then come back and ask the question when you're a nuke.

Mike

Man, you SMs can be arrogant prix... ;)
Is your suggestion meant to imply that it's much too premature for the cat to be entertaining thoughts of a future?
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2006, 03:13 by rjc2112 »
"I'm not quiet; I just don't demand to be heard." ---George Harrison

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 2006, 06:11 »
To answer your question, let me say in a nut shell; long term future yes! short term no. And that means head in book and focus on the now! Deciding to make the Navy a career from A school is like picking a bride from the mail order catalouge! :o

Rob

PS while Mike may seem a little rough on the Beaver he means well, and who knows is the Beav even qualified Roving watch?
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

Rad Sponge

« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2006, 07:37 »
Mike made a very good point. Harsh or not, such is the reality of being a nuke. Kudos to thinking about the future, but this is just the beginning and all you need to do is keep buckled down and focused.

And all your questions have been addressed and answered ad nauseum throughout this forum.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #6 on: Sep 26, 2006, 07:50 »
what kind of things do i need to do while in the navy to set myself up for a successful position in the civi world? thanks again for you guidance!

Excellent question for your current situation: I have lost count of the number of times that I heard, "Sustained superior performance is the hallmark of a great Nuke!" The great news for you is that the exact same performances and attitudes that will make you succeed in the nuclear Navy will put you in good stead once you get out. Study hard and finish high in your classes (high ranking as well as high average).

And here is a freebie: don't STAR until you have made a deployment. You enlist with limited knowledge and experience, and that is just the way it has to be. Don't re-enlist without knowing if you even like the actual job.

And thanks for your service!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Fermi2

« Reply #7 on: Sep 28, 2006, 08:01 »
Man, you SMs can be arrogant prix... ;)
Is your suggestion meant to imply that it's much too premature for the cat to be entertaining thoughts of a future?

LOL Yes.

Mike

Offline XGDubNuke

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 2006, 10:41 »
I have to agree with Chief on that one, get out to the fleet and experience what it is like to actually be a nuke.  Suggestion, wait to re-enlist.  Give it about a year before you decide to add on 2 more, you don't want to be mad at yourself in the end.

Oh, your main focus should be on making it through school right now.

Good Luck

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?