Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Typical head count for NPP in the US honeypot

Author Topic: Typical head count for NPP in the US  (Read 9569 times)

Mitch257

Typical head count for NPP in the US
« on: Sep 26, 2006, 08:21 »
That's my question - approximately how many people work at "the average" single-unit site here in the US?  I think it's around 1000 people but can't find a reference.  I did see that Palo Verde has about 2000 total for 5 plants (which sounds low to me) - although I know they can share support services like QA, RadCon, Security, etc. 

Working at Fort St. Vrain, Duane Arnold, and contract work at other plants, it seemed to me that 1000 people is about the right order of magnitude anyway.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
Re: Typical head count for NPP in the US
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2006, 08:25 »
Palo Verde Units 4 and 5 were cancelled in the 70's...  :)
"I'm not quiet; I just don't demand to be heard." ---George Harrison

Mitch257

« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2006, 08:29 »
Well, D'oh! - 2000 people for 3 plants then - makes more sense (I only did HTGR and BWR so obviously know diddly about PWR sites!)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2006, 08:52 »
An interesting trend is that the INPO 1 rated sites with lowest O&M costs, shorter  outage length and high morale tend to have a lower person/MW ratio than the low rated, high cost, recurring outage-from-hell plants. Is it a function of "too many cooks spoil the soup", or that ineffective organizations staff up to throw more bodies at flawed "work processes"?

Perhaps the answer can be found in ... an inter-departmental staff meeting to review the SAP report printed in Gantt chart format, listing the interdependencies between the cost centers decrementing the resource available to .....zzzzzzzzzzzz........  ;)

What Would Rickover Do ?  WWRD

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Sep 28, 2006, 09:54 »
Palo Verde Units 4 and 5 were cancelled in the 70's...  :)

Yep, 1979.

radmoonrising

« Reply #5 on: Sep 28, 2006, 10:56 »
Its not like the old days.  I remember SONGS having over 7000 people for 3 units in the early to mid 1980s.

cbramsey

« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2006, 05:50 »
Well,  Fermi as of the end of this week just downsized by 54.

I was one of the lucky 54 that no longer have to listen to "The beatings will continue until morale improves".

Funny thing is my neighbor (Component Engineer at Fermi) now has to go in on Saturday (unpaid) to catch up on all the work he was left with when we left.

I wonder who made out on this deal.........

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2006, 10:07 »
Its not like the old days.  I remember SONGS having over 7000 people for 3 units in the early to mid 1980s.

units 2 & 3 weren't up then, were they?  mosta doz peeples shood have bin construction workers, naught that there's any thing wrong with that.   ;)
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2006, 07:59 »
I was at U-2 for fuel reciept in 81. Most of U-2 was done with construction still going on in U-3.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?