honeypot

Poll

I need some advice

helpful
1 (16.7%)
non-helpful
5 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: Looking for some advice  (Read 6273 times)

narcissus

Looking for some advice
« on: Oct 04, 2006, 10:18 »
I'm currently on pace to graduate in June of next year with a bachelor’s degree in Engineering Physics with a focus in Mechanical Engineering and am looking to enter the Nuclear energy field. Does anyone have any suggestion for further courses and or certifications that would be useful to help get into the field?

Thanks

Fermi2

Re: Looking for some advice
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2006, 10:23 »
I'll give you an introduction to the Nuke Industry right now. A College graduate should be capable of performing basic research, and the hall mark of a good nuke is being about to research items. There are currently 825 Bazillion items concerning this topic on this message board. If I may make a suggestion, there's this really cool tab on the other right hand corner called Search. Why not make your start there?

Mike

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2006, 10:32 »
One of the things to consider is PE. Not a lot of those at Commercial Power Plants. Based on what I have seen, rarity can mean extra $$$.

And in spite of the remarks of a grumpy shiftworker, we can answer questions. But you would want to ask a specific question after doing your research. Right?
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2006, 12:02 »
Try here.

http://www.nei.org/index.asp?catnum=1&catid=7

The nuclear field extends well beyond the narrow confines of a nuclear plants control room.
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2006, 12:05 by Marlin »

narcissus

« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2006, 12:54 »
Thanks, that website was helpful.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2006, 09:51 »
narcissus.... the short answer to your question would be any course of study in an engineering discipline that interests you and any certification that you find listed thru the nei or any other nuclear/energy based group.  the long answer is that it woud behoove you to determine what avenue you would like to pursue in the nuclear energy field.  there are myriad to choose from and all are interesting to some.  most are well compensated.  i would make the assumption that with a b.s. in e.p. and a concentration in m.e. math and the associated sciences are friendly to you.  however, since you are making the inquiry that you did, i think that perhaps you are thinking of using that training as a basis for a career and not becoming immersed in those aspects of the field.  perhaps a short series of courses in business oran additional concentration in the legal field would be more towards what you feel would be fulfilling?  the nuclear energy field employs professionals in every aspect of society, from abstracts thru zoology.  they all come with certifications.  but certificates without knowledge of future pursuit is merely another method of professional schooling.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #6 on: Oct 05, 2006, 01:56 »
SG: Great answer (and readable to the uneducated in slospeek at that).  However, I'd ask the question: N, Why did you choose the major in the first place and what did you anticipate when you chose it?  If you didn't know then, and you don't know now, I,m not sure the education was worth it!
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #7 on: Oct 05, 2006, 04:39 »
Operations is always a good place to start.  You can see the many departments at work and decide what you want to pursue after working in the industry for a while.  Many places are hiring engineers for NLO positions.  The money is great if you can handle the rolling shift work and long hours. :P

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?