Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Jr HP Techs honeypot

Author Topic: Jr HP Techs  (Read 55733 times)

Gonzo

Jr HP Techs
« on: Oct 04, 2006, 11:42 »
Sure seems like there's alot fewer of them now days, and we can't seem to use (abuse?) them like before...   with all the talk about the aging work force, is anyone seeing them bring in the Jrs like they used to?

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Re: Jr HP Techs
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2006, 12:20 »
ISU has a 2 year program and and it's rumored EITC is thinking about bringing their program back, so there are a LOT of newbies in the pipeline around INL.  (Esp. since INL doesn't require the RCT to have much experience to be paid Sr. rates...)

How long we would have these technicians to (ab)use as Juniors is open to debate...
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2006, 12:48 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2006, 12:32 »
Seems like not as many as in the past.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2006, 02:20 »
Sure seems like there's alot fewer of them now days, and we can't seem to use (abuse?) them like before...   with all the talk about the aging work force, is anyone seeing them bring in the Jrs like they used to?

It's hard to get one to abuse when the utilities are only bringing in 4 to 6 juniors for an outage.  Why even bother?

I guess all the house tech's/supervisor's/manager's wives, girlfriends, sons, daughters, brothers, sisters and cousins (am I forgeting anyone?) are all Sr. Techs by now, so they don't have the NEED to have Jr. tech positions anymore.
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2006, 02:22 by Colonel Angus »

Whalla2U

« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2006, 09:38 »
As a Jr HP, what I see is that there just isn't that many Jr jobs.  Have you check the job board the past couple of seasons?  The request for a Jr is few and far between.   Don't get me wrong, there are still Jrs who get the first job openings thru personal connections with company employees.  Recently met a very nice Jr on their first nuke job who had never picked up a meter or even knew what one was.  Failed the company quals test, so couldn't be assigned a job, but was married to a company supervisor.   After spending many leasure paid hours at the plant, was laid off same day I was.  It was upsetting since qualified Jrs wanting to work, but couldn't get in. 

lowlrc

« Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2006, 11:36 »
Maybe old Bobby Leonard needs to reopen his Nuclear High School.
Than the'll be plenty of JR's ready for action.. :P
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2006, 11:37 by lowlrc »

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2006, 11:38 »
As a Jr HP, what I see is that there just isn't that many Jr jobs.  Have you check the job board the past couple of seasons?  The request for a Jr is few and far between.   Don't get me wrong, there are still Jrs who get the first job openings thru personal connections with company employees.  Recently met a very nice Jr on their first nuke job who had never picked up a meter or even knew what one was.  Failed the company quals test, so couldn't be assigned a job, but was married to a company supervisor.   After spending many leasure paid hours at the plant, was laid off same day I was.  It was upsetting since qualified Jrs wanting to work, but couldn't get in. 
I dunno...that statement is kinda BS...
the last time i looked at the wish list..there were only 2 sites that were NOT taking Jrs.
Granted, they don't bring nearly as many as they used to.
Does IP still have the program(work there as a Jr between 2 outages till u become an 18.1)..that would be a route for some who want to get their time in.
There are still ways..it took me 4 years of not trying really hard unitl i was close to an 18.1.....but that was the early 90's.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #7 on: Oct 06, 2006, 12:37 »
iffen yer a <18.1 ansi hp tech, git to anudder nuclear work site than a power plant.  git time in 'n then go to the plants.  while working other type sites, keep yer phone dialed into the plant vendors, 'n yule git a job quicker.  anudder tip, work cheep.  if yer willing to work <rate posted fer a jr n@, yule git the job faster 'n jump the higher priced jrs waiting fer job.  economics 101 rules. 
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Oct 06, 2006, 04:52 »
iffen yer a <18.1 ansi hp tech, git to anudder nuclear work site than a power plant.  git time in 'n then go to the plants.  while working other type sites, keep yer phone dialed into the plant vendors, 'n yule git a job quicker.  anudder tip, work cheep.  if yer willing to work <rate posted fer a jr n@, yule git the job faster 'n jump the higher priced jrs waiting fer job.  economics 101 rules. 
Wow...that s**t is hard read'n..been a while since i've been to the 'Trap..but anyway...that "other" hp time don't always count if it's not commercial N power.

remowil55

« Reply #9 on: Oct 06, 2006, 07:31 »
Oh Boy, here i go again. There are jr jobs out there and its not who you know at company so much cause you got about as good a chance as all of us on that court.It does help when you get into a place to make friends that are house. HAVE AND ACE IN THE HOLE.  I have my time in and  have chosen to stay a jr for a while. I wish i could tell everyone what i am going through at this time, but this is not the place and i have no beef with anyone here on Nukeworker as far as i know. But there are no icentives to get into this business anymore, i ask MB about this when he showed up at Farley and ask What was Bartlett doing to get more techs into the Business, i said that no one in his right mind would drive half way across the country to work for no diem and barely above minium wage, and his reply was, "well that's just what they will have to do if they want to get into this line of work," great answer MB. They say were 700 techs short,and they want to build more plants, who the hell are they going to get to run them. I can remember when ANO had 2000 house people, i think they have around 800 now. Now i all pissed off so bye. Remo

vikingfan

« Reply #10 on: Oct 06, 2006, 09:29 »
 I can remember back in the early 90's when jr jobs paid about 2-5$ less than that of sr. deconners. but some people bit the bullet cuz they could get their sr time in 2-3 years. now with outages being 2-4 weeks average it takes someone close to 7 years to make 3.1 so lots of the available bodies either stay decon, get out the biz or swith to a different craft such as laborers, refuelers, or mechanics and such. i mean someone can work as a sr decon and stay at a site longer than an hp so i can understand why they don't switch plus no test...lol i remember going to ano in 92 and was their basically 7-8 months but those days are few and far in between.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #11 on: Oct 06, 2006, 10:08 »
that "other" hp time don't always count if it's not commercial N power.

sew sari, rrhoads, butt i'm unaware of the "count" of time for jr hpt, at a power plant or a freeking epa cleanup.  pleez, pull da regs 'n post them so's eye kin get on yer playing feeld. 

vikingfan

« Reply #12 on: Oct 06, 2006, 10:18 »
I know from personal experience and also from talking with fellow co-workers that even though someone was at a decomissing site, nrc regulated site, DOE site ect they will not recieve full credit for any hp related work in contrast to commercial power hp's . even if such worked involved hp coverage of hot cells ect.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #13 on: Oct 06, 2006, 11:08 »
vikingfan... i thought we wuz talking juniors here.  there is no credit for a junior position that i am aware of.  iffen your counting time for a senior position, ain't that a different deal than why there ain't no freaking junior hps in the field?  i've used juniors lotsa times that had zero time in the field.  when i started as a junior, i had zero time in the field. i stayed in because i saw a future.  the juniors i've had on projects lately haven't.  i've kept in touch with some of them.  quite a few make better money that senior hpt.  'n they have got any more edumakshun or certiffykats than they had when they were working with me.  they just got into other lines of business that aren't dying, like the nukes are.  you want juniors go hire juniors.  then yule have juniors.  iffen ya wanna keep them, that's a different deal.  pay them more, and they will stay. abuse them for cheep, 'n they will leave. 

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #14 on: Oct 06, 2006, 11:53 »
Although I don't work in the field I can tell you from living around it and reading the job requirements as to why there are no new juniors coming up, here are my observations.

1. Look at the outage schedule. You think its rough on seniors, how about people just starting out? Most of these people don't have 2 income families or a nest egg. You expect people to be able to work 1 maybe 2 jobs in the fall and the same in the spring and want to get into this business? Why would they want to train for a job that they have little hope of making a living at?

2. The majority of junior jobs require you to have 6 months+ experience, where are you going to get it? If you get to work 4 outages a year at about 8 weeks per outage that’s 32 weeks a year. You do the math...

3. In my humble opinion we began loosing our juniors when we stopped the practice of hiring wives and other family members to fill in the vacant slots. Remember the days when companies hired family members of techs to fill spaces for clerks, control point/junior and even decon jobs.

You took care of your seniors by giving them an extra income and you built up a pool of future workers. I myself worked several outages years ago but gave it up to stay in one spot and raise children. Heck even my mother back in the late seventies did courier work and delivered film badges.

Finally when you treat juniors with the same respect that you treat senior techs and this rules not only applies to fellow techs, but the utilities and the companies then maybe just maybe you'll get a few more juniors. Offer the same per diem, offer extra training, tell them the truth up front, offer some guidance, be a mentor; after all the junior by your side today just may save your ass one day  :)

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Oct 07, 2006, 04:22 »
Maybe old Bobby Leonard needs to reopen his Nuclear High School.
Than the'll be plenty of JR's ready for action.. :P
Maybe re-open IRM.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

diliigaf

« Reply #16 on: Oct 07, 2006, 05:51 »
Maybe re-open IRM.

:D Step away from the crack pipe...
    IRM???  Yeah right,let them hold 90% of your overtime as well as you pay ALL the taxes on you your income(self employment) remember Spanky...
    Careful what you ask for....IRM screwed more people then I would like too mention...   >:(

workinman

« Reply #17 on: Oct 07, 2006, 08:33 »
     More with Less! As the industry has decreased outage lengths so have they decreased the ability of a Junior Technician to obtain quality training!  Back in the days when a standard refuel outage was 90 days, a junior could build time.  But now, short outages and even shorter budgets are to blame for a decrease in our replacements.  It does seem like the industry is finally recognizing the obvious need for replacement technicians but is it too little too late?  Linn State's program and the others may help but still the need for junior's to be able to have the opportunity to gain quality experience (job coverage .vs. response checking instruments or pushing laundry buggies) is an ever pressing concern. 
     It always amazed me how most of the utilities that had an RP development training program would allow their (house juniors) to do more than the contract juniors?  Somehow they were always under the mindset that their juniors who were classroom trained in theory and experienced an outage every 18 months were better than contract juniors who were constantly in the thick of things  on the road!  Nothing against house tech training programs (as I am a house tech now) but I'm sure their are more than few ex-contractors who have rolled over that will agree with me-- that many of house training programs have produced senior techs that can quote you theory left and right but couldn't tell how a RX Head is disassembled or re-assembled!  I, like many on this site, were fortunate enough get trained back in the days when things weren't so lean and a junior could actually get some hands on experience!  I feel for the juniors now and hopefully things will change so we can get them the same opportunities that we were given.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: Oct 07, 2006, 01:42 »

IRM???  Yeah right,let them hold 90% of your overtime as well as you pay ALL the taxes on you your income(self employment) remember Spanky...
    Careful what you ask for....IRM screwed more people then I would like too mention...   >:(
Well thet didn't get me. Actually I did quite well with IRM. And I wasn't the only one.
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2006, 01:44 by Mike McFarlin »

Dan_E.

« Reply #19 on: Oct 07, 2006, 01:55 »
A Jr will spend his outage time at a control point smearing & clearing without enough time off their assigned duties to follow a Sr around and get some real training. For this they get credit for 50 hours a week toward 18.1 (2000 hours) at outages that lasts 3 to 4 weeks on average and without enough travel pay to come close to breaking even. Gee, why wouldn't everyone be jumping on the bandwagon for this?

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #20 on: Oct 07, 2006, 02:42 »
Well thet didn't get me. Actually I did quite well with IRM. And I wasn't the only one.

I know this is off topic, but...

I too have to come to the defense of I.R.M, not only did they pay us fairly they had a VERY human side. Not once but twice when my father was ill did they come through for my family.

As a teenager when my dad fell ill at Calvert Cliffs (and my mother was in the hospital) I was met at the train station by two techs, Jake Sasser and Steve Romaniwich (sorry for the spelling) who took me back to the local hangout. The site coord arranged for me to room with a couple of women techs, gave me the keys to a rental and $200 someone had gotten together for me to have spending money.

The second time when my dad was diagnosed with cancer I.R.M. kept paying his insurance and when he sadly died there were flowers, cards and phone calls from Bobby and Gary.

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #21 on: Oct 07, 2006, 03:40 »

I too have to come to their defense. I went to the school which gave me enough knowledge to get in the plants and then used valuable experience over the next 3 years to get my time in. They were like all other companies in they were out to make money but they helped me out thru some tough times adjusting to the road life.As far as Jr. HP techs, I would not recommend getting in the business to anyone just trying to start out. Even with the huge shortage of techs for this outage season the utilities are putting all the blame on the contract companies. I can see most of the utilities having to go to the co-op system that Duke uses to keep enough seniors available and continue with the using clerks and family to fill Jr tech slots.

remowil55

« Reply #22 on: Oct 07, 2006, 07:08 »
Remo's back, I have to agree with Carmella, about the time of the outages. Most place wont even take one with no experience. I have my time in and still can't get paid the right amount. Like CB said it does take somewhere around i figure 6 to 10 years to be a 3.1.... And i have had more than one discussion about this with RPM's at various plants.The Nuke industry is doing nothing that i can see that is going to cure all the problems for jr's. I have now started to see that it is worth more money to be a Sr. Deconner again. Sr. Decon at the plant i am at now get a 3500 dollar bonus, jr hp's get 1500. Someone tell me where in the hell that is fair. Hell i got several thousand hours as a Sr. Deconner and over 6000 hours of hp time, her at this plant hp's do alot of decon work, i should get both bonuses. I was told by a HP
Supervisor that if a tech spent 20 years working in doe and come over to this side of the business all he can give him is 1 year. He is a junior. Doesn't make any difference what he has on his resume. I really don't see a future for this business, heck 70 percent of the plant out there running are on there last leg, do you see any ground breaking. And your not going too!!!! Quote of the day. "I'm tired of all the BUSHIT." Remo

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #23 on: Oct 08, 2006, 06:26 »
...its not who you know at company so much cause you got about as good a chance as all of us on that court.It does help when you get into a place to make friends that are house.

Um, so which is it?

I have my time in and  have chosen to stay a jr for a while.

and

I have my time in and still can't get paid the right amount.

Again, which is it? Dude, if you're trying to make a point here you consistently send out conflicting messages... :o
"I'm not quiet; I just don't demand to be heard." ---George Harrison

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #24 on: Oct 08, 2006, 10:31 »
The fact is all the utilities see that there is a problem but nobody wants to be the first to really do something about it.
And an earlier post was correct...
Jrs aren't allowed to do what they used to be able to get away with doing as far as getting real experience.
But then you have the other side of the jr story that i've seen first hand...
Jrs not wanting to do anything besides sit a CP or do instrument checks.
Most jrs(not all) but most that i've run across fall into the above category.

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #25 on: Oct 08, 2006, 10:44 »
Remo's back, I have to agree with Carmella, about the time of the outages. Most place wont even take one with no experience. I have my time in and still can't get paid the right amount. Like CB said it does take somewhere around i figure 6 to 10 years to be a 3.1.... And i have had more than one discussion about this with RPM's at various plants.The Nuke industry is doing nothing that i can see that is going to cure all the problems for jr's. I have now started to see that it is worth more money to be a Sr. Deconner again. Sr. Decon at the plant i am at now get a 3500 dollar bonus, jr hp's get 1500. Someone tell me where in the hell that is fair. Hell i got several thousand hours as a Sr. Deconner and over 6000 hours of hp time, her at this plant hp's do alot of decon work, i should get both bonuses. I was told by a HP
Supervisor that if a tech spent 20 years working in doe and come over to this side of the business all he can give him is 1 year. He is a junior. Doesn't make any difference what he has on his resume. I really don't see a future for this business, heck 70 percent of the plant out there running are on there last leg, do you see any ground breaking. And your not going too!!!! Quote of the day. "I'm tired of all the BUSHIT." Remo
Lemme tell ya something dude....
Sr decon has ALWAYS been paid more than a Jr tech bottom line!
Back in the day, there was NO bonus for Jr Hp or Sr Deconner.
Jr HP pay for me was typically $7hr/$40 a day diem. Sr decon at IP2 in '91 was $7.50 hr/ $50 a day diem...so i've been there done that!
The choice to switch to Jr or stay SR decon is a tough one...but if a jr can hang in there and get the time in the pay-off will be better..I know it was in my case.
Sounds like your just having a bad day/outage.

remowil55

« Reply #26 on: Oct 08, 2006, 06:48 »
RRhoads, i don't know where you worked but i started at IP 3 in 90 and was making 6 and 50. I was making more than a jr there. It was like that for a long time i always worked decon and made 2 to 3 dollars and hour more than a jr hp. Then it for some reason switched. I did my time and now things are starting to go the other way again. And yes i am having both a bad day and a bad outage. I have 16 years in this mess and thinking about giving it up. something has got to change. Remo

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
  • Stop Talking, Just Do It!!!
« Reply #27 on: Oct 08, 2006, 08:46 »
I'm a Jr Tech.  I was offered my first assignment at Big Rock Point doing D&D.  I had no experience doing HP at all, they just wanted willing bodies.  I was there for a year.  I was told that my time doing D&D would not be totally counted towards becoming a Sr, that it is site specific.  I'm not sure how true all that is, but I later tried to get into an outage that wanted > 12 months experience, and I was turned down.  I then tried at a plant that wanted > 6 months and got in with no problem.  As far as PD goes, I have always gotten the same amount as the Seniors.  For me, I enjoy being a Jr and soak up as much information as I can.  My pay has ranged from $13/hr to $17/hr.  However, I am also a procedure writer....pre-HP work.  I was offered a longer termed position as procedure writer and took it, mainly because of the pay...it's more then double what the average Jr. HP makes.  However, I must honestly say that I miss the HP work and the knowledge that I was gaining.  Sometimes, money isn't everything, but this is the choice that I made and will live with it until the contract runs out  ;)

Lorrie

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #28 on: Oct 08, 2006, 09:00 »
hrhpgal.... eye yam gittin da ideer dat sumbuddy kin git into plant outages w/o kissing up, bendeen over, 'n enny uv dat udder positions recommended on dis post.  yer post isa breth uv phresh air.  eye predick  yule go phar, phar as yinz want. 

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #29 on: Oct 08, 2006, 11:32 »
RRhoads, i don't know where you worked but i started at IP 3 in 90 and was making 6 and 50. I was making more than a jr there. It was like that for a long time i always worked decon and made 2 to 3 dollars and hour more than a jr hp. Then it for some reason switched. I did my time and now things are starting to go the other way again. And yes i am having both a bad day and a bad outage. I have 16 years in this mess and thinking about giving it up. something has got to change. Remo

Well..I know Jrs made 6 & 40 at IP 2,..
I worked at IP 2 on Nites in 91 as a Sr deconner for 7 & 50. My first jr job was OC in 92 for 7 & 40..so for my situation it was always like that for MOST of my jr time..
Sounds like you need to "give it up" for a while & gain some perspective or wait till this outage season is over & chill for a while..
In my case it was a good switch as i am a house tech now & really don't miss all the traveling i did for the last 15 years but i do miss the time off.

remowil55

« Reply #30 on: Oct 09, 2006, 11:53 »
I hear ya RRhoads, i'm getting older and am pretty beat up. I don't heal as fast as i onec did, but the years don't always make you wiser, and the road is always long. My retirement plan is simple. It's called "death"  Remo

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
« Reply #31 on: Oct 10, 2006, 06:48 »
Sloglo, than you for the kind words, albeit difficult to read ;)

My butt is getting sore from sitting on it all day at my current job.  I wanna swing a meter...whaaaaaa

Think....end of contract...end of contract :)

alphadude

« Reply #32 on: Oct 11, 2006, 09:52 »
i wonder if slogo can turn it off or has he fused those synapses to a rigid state, (and people complain about us southern folks from the hills-)

lowlrc

« Reply #33 on: Oct 12, 2006, 11:45 »

I think I still owe them a pre diem check

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #34 on: Oct 12, 2006, 09:58 »
i wonder if slogo can turn it off or has he fused those synapses to a rigid state, (and people complain about us southern folks from the hills-)

jrhpgal, yinz keep dat good attytyde runeen 'n itill all git good.  keep dune da werk 'n werkeen da resume.  let me no iffen eye kin ever help n@, 'k?

alphadude,  rigid state.... izzat a haid thing?  yu kinky kinda southern hill folk?!

Offline Turbo

• Very Lite User
  • If I only had a brain....
« Reply #35 on: Oct 15, 2006, 07:28 »
PTN just hired 6 house Jr HP I know because I'm one of them.  If more Nukes would look at that as an option it would be a great way to get new blood into to the industry.  Maybe if we do well more plants will start.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #36 on: Oct 16, 2006, 07:26 »
Holy god the JR HPs I am working with at Cook in Uppers are great.  I have never worked with JR HPs this good!  Go nights upper's junior HPs, yall are good!

Offline TENN-1

• Moderate User
  • Finished the 5 year plan in only 34!
« Reply #37 on: Oct 16, 2006, 07:58 »
Ditto for the nightshift Jrs stationed in lower containment at Cook. We have an excellent crew of folks working to earn a living but also trying to learn a craft along the way. It's a very good outage for experience gathering - more to do than ever before. Thanks! Keep up the good work!
Things come to those who wait, but usually it's stuff left over from those who hustle!

remowil55

« Reply #38 on: Oct 16, 2006, 02:32 »
So true for the jr's down in the hole at Cook both days and nights. It is hell down there for sure. Uppers has not been all fun and games though. The worst is yet to come. I have a great bunch of Sr. at the top to have had the pleasure to work with and i Thank You All, hope to see you again down the road somewhere. Remo

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #39 on: Oct 16, 2006, 07:37 »
Holy god the JR HPs I am working with at Cook in Uppers are great.  I have never worked with JR HPs this good!  Go nights upper's junior HPs, yall are good!
Different world, Jimbo.

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
« Reply #40 on: Oct 16, 2006, 07:50 »
Ok, now you're really making me upset....LOL....see, I turned down the Jr. Tech offer at Cook to do what I'm doing now....Supervising and writing procedures.  Although my husband is a Sr. working at Cook right now and will be getting the lay off soon.  I wish I would have stayed with my first offer, then I would be working with and learning from you too.  Oh well, live and learn....all part of the business, right?

Lorrie :)

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #41 on: Jan 24, 2007, 04:16 »
I thought I would kick this topic up to the top because I think it is an important one...and I have cabin feaver waiting to go back to work.

As I have mentioned in a couple other posts, I started in the shipyard.  For the first few years or until someone said that you were worthy you are considered a RADCON Monitor I, seniors were RADCON Monitor II.  For all that was screwy about the yard I will give them kudo's on this, Jr. techs were able to do most lower level job coverage and had only to be under the supervision of a Sr. on the jobs that had a higher potential of something going wrong (higher rad levels, higher contam. levels etc.).  We didn't just sit control points or step off pads like in the commercial world (general statement).

I will say that training was a lot more standardized so all Jr. Techs came from the same Mama.  I see very few Jr. techs in the commercial world that are being properly prepaired for the Sr. role.  If commercial plants would recognize this and impliment a slightly different way of doing business on the lower risk jobs (ie. small valve breech, electrical work in contaminated overhead areas etc.) we would all end up with better Sr. HP's and more job opportunities for Jr. HP's.  It would help to replenish the shortage of Sr. Techs now and in the future.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

alphadude

« Reply #42 on: Jan 24, 2007, 05:54 »
get a job with a utility-they do that.. if you are renter goooood luck- hmm this almost sounds like you need a apprentice ship program like the unions offer-

foreverajr

« Reply #43 on: Jan 26, 2007, 03:36 »
Jr's don't need an apprenticeship program provided by a union.  To get good training a Jr has to be motivated to learn.  When I first started in the biz, of course I was stuck at the step off pad.  However, any break or downtime that I had was spent following good senior techs around.  I would read ops books at home.  I did whatever I could do to better understand my purpose at the plant.  This may seem extreme, but it paid off.  Before too long, supervisors no longer stuck me at step off pads or control points.

Too many techs don't care about fully understanding their jobs and only see the dollar signs associated with showing up for work.  There are plenty of opportunities for techs to learn if they wanted to.

Just my opinion of course....

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #44 on: Jan 26, 2007, 03:55 »
Jr's don't need an apprenticeship program provided by a union.  To get good training a Jr has to be motivated to learn.  When I first started in the biz, of course I was stuck at the step off pad.  However, any break or downtime that I had was spent following good senior techs around.  I would read ops books at home.  I did whatever I could do to better understand my purpose at the plant.  This may seem extreme, but it paid off.  Before too long, supervisors no longer stuck me at step off pads or control points.

Too many techs don't care about fully understanding their jobs and only see the dollar signs associated with showing up for work.  There are plenty of opportunities for techs to learn if they wanted to.

Just my opinion of course....

A motivated Jr.???
Where in the hell do you find one of those anymore??
They have been soo far removed from the loop of having to learn anything, that most of  'em i see now, are hanging out in the break room!
I've offered many times to take 'em in the can & show 'em around or on a job...Zero motivation!
Sorry...it ain't like when i was a Jr.!

foreverajr

« Reply #45 on: Jan 26, 2007, 04:08 »
My point exactly!!  There are plenty of chances to learn, one must be motivated to do so.  Too many of them have $ signs in their eyes and forget the seriousness and importance of their jobs.

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #46 on: Jan 26, 2007, 05:25 »

"I've offered many times to take 'em in the can & show 'em around or on a job...Zero motivation!"

...tell them about how much pain and sacrifice it took to build these things...about the hopes and dreams of those long gone...they will be the ones that maintain this mess when all the old ones are gone...do they understand it...are they prepared...

sponge

« Reply #47 on: Feb 20, 2007, 03:00 »
I'm really tired of scratching in the dirt trying to find a Jr. job. My daddy doesn't work at any nukes. The people that do get the Jr jobs are all on the friends and family plan, and they could care less about learning anything. This is a field that I'm really interested in and motivated to learn, but getting a job is really hard. That's why I've had to stick to decon for the past couple years. Not to mention Entergy has all but eliminated the 18.1 position, so now it will take even longer to reach 3.1

The only site I've ever seen that hires maybe 20 or 30 Jrs is VY, and that is because they haul the trash and laundry.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #48 on: Feb 20, 2007, 03:05 »
Hey sponge, when you get done crying a river, go to WWW.ORNL.GOV and look in the "Careers" section.

They just posted a request for (3) Junior Radiological Technicians.

It's a long-term job with great benefits, and you get to work in Oak Ridge,Tennessee.

Good luck to ya, Dawg.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #49 on: Feb 20, 2007, 07:16 »
And Atlantic Group just posted a job for Juniors.....

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #50 on: Feb 21, 2007, 01:03 »
jrhpgal, yinz keep dat good attytyde runeen 'n itill all git good.  keep dune da werk 'n werkeen da resume.  let me no iffen eye kin ever help n@, 'k?

alphadude,  rigid state.... izzat a haid thing?  yu kinky kinda southern hill folk?!

SHHHHHH its a secret he can speak english...I've seen it in another post with my own eyes I swear.

Fermione

« Reply #51 on: Feb 21, 2007, 06:38 »
Looks like Atlantic is looking for some talent for Pilgrim.  Nice area and a good place to learn.  Sign up juniors.
Fermione

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #52 on: Feb 21, 2007, 04:13 »
I'm really tired of scratching in the dirt trying to find a Jr. job. My daddy doesn't work at any nukes. The people that do get the Jr jobs are all on the friends and family plan, and they could care less about learning anything.

I wish this were true, then my son wouldn't be sitting at home twiddling his thumbs waiting for his next outage. Seems like you got a raw deal somewhere and you have a chip on your shoulder. Do yourself a favor and brush it off and you might find yourself working more.

As far as plants not working juniors, I don't understand it myself. Twenty years ago they used higher numbers of juniors and control point monitors and yes many of us were the spouses or children of seniors. It's how many of us got our start, but believe me we worked and we learned. Heck my dad was known for giving people a break all the time, hiring right off the street, some of these guys are house techs now days, some are retired. Hopefully you'll get a break soon.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #53 on: Feb 21, 2007, 05:40 »
Camella is absolutely correct. Here are some tips for your next job:

1. Learn to golf and golf well. Participate in one of the scrambles where you work.

2. Bring in donuts in the morning. (See "Joe Kiman" in the annals of nuke worker history)

3. Marry someone who is a heavy-hitter or is related to a heavy hitter.

4. Do alot of shots and buy alot of shots.

Seriously, just let your work record speak for itself and treat people like you have known them all you life. You will do fine. Keep your head up.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #54 on: Feb 21, 2007, 09:10 »

1. Learn to golf and golf well. Participate in one of the scrambles where you work.

2. Bring in donuts in the morning. (See "Joe Kiman" in the annals of nuke worker history)

Seriously, just let your work record speak for itself and treat people like you have known them all you life. You will do fine. Keep your head up.
Or marry a site coordinator.

ageoldtech

« Reply #55 on: Feb 21, 2007, 10:14 »
Or see Mike, he got me my first nuke job.

Offline BeDaBullet

• Light User
  • 'GENERAL DELIVERY'
« Reply #56 on: Feb 21, 2007, 10:24 »
I wonder if that is why they call me "Uncle Bob"?......

What's up Spanky, are you enjoying Texas?
“California is a fine place to live — if you happen to be an orange.”

Whalla2U

« Reply #57 on: Feb 22, 2007, 11:32 »
I met a gal who had never worked in any rad busness before, but was married to a supervisor and had taken the Shawnee online class.  Kinda shocked me when she asked me what a meter was.  So yes, I think that some do get the job because they know someone in the busness.  But I didn't know a soul when I came from DOE.  I accepted the first job I could get just to get my foot in the door.  When I got there, I didn't know what was going on or any one there.  I've accepted jobs at the last minute just to have a jr job.  Now I apply to where I want to go, make call after call to find out if I've been accepted.  Knowing that I may have to go somewhere I've never been at the last minute.  So my own experiance has been to work hard at getting the job, then work hard at the job.  Whether jr or sr, if you're lazy, you take a chance at not getting accepted back to a site.               

illegalsmile

« Reply #58 on: Feb 22, 2007, 02:05 »
What I see, for the most part, is wives, girlfriends, kids of Sr Tech (especially house techs) being hired. They have no intention of making a career of HP work and often won't do any of the mundane or unpleasant tasks that go with being a Jr. In fact, I do know of some cases where these nepo-techs become Seniors and get paid as such, but still won't do anything except access control.
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2007, 02:06 by illegalsmile »

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #59 on: Feb 22, 2007, 03:26 »

As funny as this may sound, it is somewhat true.  When I go to an outage there are a couple of things that I do. 

1) The goal is to do a good enough job to be remembered and asked back for future outages, even if I don't care for the plant.  Never say never, the crappy plants don't usually stay crappy for ever.

2) Make new friends at every outage.  May sound shallow but the fact of the matter is, in this industry it is important to know people, as many people as possible.

3) Refer to 1 & 2, if you keep these as your goals, you will eventually start to build a snowball.

You have to hang in there, the future is bright and the payoff will be worth the effort.  One more thing, I believe that you have to love it to be happy in doing it.  This job comes with many inconveniences with the travel and sometimes unplanned time off etc.  If you don't love the job when you are working, leave it.  Don't get caught in the trap that many do and think that there isn't a good way to make a living doing something else...not true.  I hope you love it as I do.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #60 on: Feb 22, 2007, 05:10 »
Definition of jun·ior  (joon-yer)

adjective
Lower in rank or shorter in length of tenure: a junior officer; the junior senator.
Lesser in scale than the usual.

noun
A person lesser in rank or time of participation or service; subordinate.

As in any position, the junior must prove themselves worthy, before they can be upgraded to a higher level. In that time, they must do those menial tasks, and like the rest of us did, wait and wonder when they may get that next job, so they can get their required time in to move up to the next level. You have to shake the bushes and put your name in everyone's head and then they will start to say "Hey, that new junior really did a good job. We would like to have him back next outage".

So, sponge.....if you are doing the right things, and learning something new every day, you will start to get those accolades and those jobs that you want.

Peace, Brother

shovelheadred

« Reply #61 on: Feb 22, 2007, 08:30 »
...hey spankeee!!!..we know some jr's that did alot more to the site coordinator than marry him.....or her...now they are working ALARA....or site coordinator at Oconee....this business doesnt change since it started....there will always be ,,people that want to learn, and they will be called $#^%kissers,,ex-navy%$#^holes, deconners that worked their way to supervisor..like your brother....and then some drop dead blonde that is a bartender will date the coordinator,,get a job, cover one S/G jump and she is the best tech in the business, because she knows how to enter a bar tab on a computer, and thats about what remote coverage is now....remember SRPD's..and calculating jump times down to the second on December 31, and then at 0000, giving the jumper another 3 REM, yes 3 REM/quarter when I started...and circle bar W hired the Pagans to jump gnerators at Farley....as far as juniors,,there are good ones,,and there are some that are borne to it( and some of these are great people)...like most of you, I have worked with alot of juniors, and if they are not up to your standards as seniors, then it is your own fault, because they only know what you teach them...I worked Duke for alot of outages, Oconee didnt hire juniors...the other two did,,,havent worked an HP job in awhile, but I was at that Cook job last fall with AREVA,,and like the post said..."they had some good juniors covering the refuel group"....all I can say is,,without an ink pen...YOU ARE ALL JUNIORS............red

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #62 on: Feb 22, 2007, 08:57 »
Well said and to the point.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #63 on: Feb 22, 2007, 09:00 »
I wonder if that is why they call me "Uncle Bob"?......

What's up Spanky, are you enjoying Texas?
Yes definitely. The weather is finally decent which makes work a whole lot better. How's San Francisco?

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #64 on: Feb 22, 2007, 09:01 »
Or see Mike, he got me my first nuke job.
You da man, Bone.

illegalsmile

« Reply #65 on: Feb 23, 2007, 12:38 »
all I can say is,,without an ink pen...YOU ARE ALL JUNIORS............red
Just goes to show ya how much d'bidness has changed.....I can remember when an HP without a pen was a deconner  ;)

Offline BStella

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #66 on: Feb 23, 2007, 01:01 »
Just goes to show ya how much d'bidness has changed.....I can remember when an HP without a pen was a deconner  ;)

That's exactly what I was thinkin'   ;D

PEACE.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #67 on: Feb 23, 2007, 07:56 »

changed?  awh shoot.  maybe ware yinz ahre, butt out hare, iffen ya don't have a pen, eye don't care how many decades of experience ya got, eye wail still axe ya to git me sum mazzlyns or smeers or sumptin, 'cause yinz ain't surveying nuttin my crews or gonna werk on!  iffen ya stress me cause of my request, i'll axe yinz two right it down sew ya don't fergit.  usually, about dat time, da seenyore reelizes wutz up 'n leeves.  'n  eye yam roflmao!  'n i'll due it agin tomorrow, tu!

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #68 on: Feb 26, 2007, 08:07 »
Pens in the field are for people who can't remember things until they get back to the office to steal one to write down their surveys.  ;)
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Shawnee Man

• Moderate User
« Reply #69 on: Feb 27, 2007, 08:57 »
Thats why I have so many pens at home!

LaFeet

« Reply #70 on: Mar 24, 2007, 06:12 »
 I am curious.  How does a Junior maintain a valid documentation of their "time in".  Is there a slot in PADS for them??

If so, then they are screwed, because most plants have a difficult time finding their own PADS person.

I worked a D&D with a buttonne of juniors.  Our company provided training (not on the jrs time, or volunteered instructors) and their training folders were kept as leagal documents.  After they had sufficient time they were encouraged to take DOE Core and NUF like exams generated by their instructors.

Granted, not all passed on the first time.  And those in need of help received it.   An pay incentive was offered for those that passed.

After eight months, most juniors were upgraded to 18.1's.  Many went on to take positions at other D&D projects, DOE work and a few power plants.

All this was done with just a litte insight to the training process and successful documentation. 

A side note, each departing individual was handed a certified copy with references prior to moving on. 

I know it can work..... and we do need some new juniors to beat into submission.  Besides, I want to retire soon, and I cant until I get relieved. ;D

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #71 on: Mar 24, 2007, 07:58 »
Hang in there, your good for another 20 years.

Offline hoghunter

• Moderate User
  • I have often regretted my speech, never my silence
« Reply #72 on: Mar 25, 2007, 01:42 »
Who ever said life was easy. I started in 1981 as decon and  worked my way up, but I never did a job I didn't learn something. I picked up my first Jr job in 87, but after that when I put in for another I was told I didn't have enough time. I would go to job's and Jr's were straight off the street. DUKE power has gave me my time, but the reason Jr's are short on knowledge is due to power plant and Sr techs. ( some not all )treating Jr's like we  are so dumb. I will say I do have ALOT to learn. I admit there is more people these days that are more about the money then to learn the job and that hurts the ones that do. I can say I've been lucky. I've had some Sr. techs. to take under thier wings so to speak and help me to learn the RP ways. The list is to long to say names. I will always be thankfull. A Sr at ANO once told me if you go to go all the way and don't look back, but I can't forget where I came from,now it is just so hard to get in the time and learn, jobs are so much shorter and so far between. all I can say is I'm here to stay
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2007, 05:03 by RELLISON62 »
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand

LaFeet

« Reply #73 on: Mar 26, 2007, 06:36 »
Hang in there, your good for another 20 years.

The body might be,  but the mind is ahhhhh   is a  I forget :P

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?