Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Jr HP Techs honeypot

Author Topic: Jr HP Techs  (Read 55732 times)

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
Re: Jr HP Techs
« Reply #50 on: Feb 21, 2007, 01:03 »
jrhpgal, yinz keep dat good attytyde runeen 'n itill all git good.  keep dune da werk 'n werkeen da resume.  let me no iffen eye kin ever help n@, 'k?

alphadude,  rigid state.... izzat a haid thing?  yu kinky kinda southern hill folk?!

SHHHHHH its a secret he can speak english...I've seen it in another post with my own eyes I swear.

Fermione

« Reply #51 on: Feb 21, 2007, 06:38 »
Looks like Atlantic is looking for some talent for Pilgrim.  Nice area and a good place to learn.  Sign up juniors.
Fermione

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #52 on: Feb 21, 2007, 04:13 »
I'm really tired of scratching in the dirt trying to find a Jr. job. My daddy doesn't work at any nukes. The people that do get the Jr jobs are all on the friends and family plan, and they could care less about learning anything.

I wish this were true, then my son wouldn't be sitting at home twiddling his thumbs waiting for his next outage. Seems like you got a raw deal somewhere and you have a chip on your shoulder. Do yourself a favor and brush it off and you might find yourself working more.

As far as plants not working juniors, I don't understand it myself. Twenty years ago they used higher numbers of juniors and control point monitors and yes many of us were the spouses or children of seniors. It's how many of us got our start, but believe me we worked and we learned. Heck my dad was known for giving people a break all the time, hiring right off the street, some of these guys are house techs now days, some are retired. Hopefully you'll get a break soon.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #53 on: Feb 21, 2007, 05:40 »
Camella is absolutely correct. Here are some tips for your next job:

1. Learn to golf and golf well. Participate in one of the scrambles where you work.

2. Bring in donuts in the morning. (See "Joe Kiman" in the annals of nuke worker history)

3. Marry someone who is a heavy-hitter or is related to a heavy hitter.

4. Do alot of shots and buy alot of shots.

Seriously, just let your work record speak for itself and treat people like you have known them all you life. You will do fine. Keep your head up.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #54 on: Feb 21, 2007, 09:10 »

1. Learn to golf and golf well. Participate in one of the scrambles where you work.

2. Bring in donuts in the morning. (See "Joe Kiman" in the annals of nuke worker history)

Seriously, just let your work record speak for itself and treat people like you have known them all you life. You will do fine. Keep your head up.
Or marry a site coordinator.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

ageoldtech

« Reply #55 on: Feb 21, 2007, 10:14 »
Or see Mike, he got me my first nuke job.

Offline BeDaBullet

• Light User
  • 'GENERAL DELIVERY'
« Reply #56 on: Feb 21, 2007, 10:24 »
I wonder if that is why they call me "Uncle Bob"?......

What's up Spanky, are you enjoying Texas?
“California is a fine place to live — if you happen to be an orange.”

Whalla2U

« Reply #57 on: Feb 22, 2007, 11:32 »
I met a gal who had never worked in any rad busness before, but was married to a supervisor and had taken the Shawnee online class.  Kinda shocked me when she asked me what a meter was.  So yes, I think that some do get the job because they know someone in the busness.  But I didn't know a soul when I came from DOE.  I accepted the first job I could get just to get my foot in the door.  When I got there, I didn't know what was going on or any one there.  I've accepted jobs at the last minute just to have a jr job.  Now I apply to where I want to go, make call after call to find out if I've been accepted.  Knowing that I may have to go somewhere I've never been at the last minute.  So my own experiance has been to work hard at getting the job, then work hard at the job.  Whether jr or sr, if you're lazy, you take a chance at not getting accepted back to a site.               

illegalsmile

« Reply #58 on: Feb 22, 2007, 02:05 »
What I see, for the most part, is wives, girlfriends, kids of Sr Tech (especially house techs) being hired. They have no intention of making a career of HP work and often won't do any of the mundane or unpleasant tasks that go with being a Jr. In fact, I do know of some cases where these nepo-techs become Seniors and get paid as such, but still won't do anything except access control.
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2007, 02:06 by illegalsmile »

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #59 on: Feb 22, 2007, 03:26 »

As funny as this may sound, it is somewhat true.  When I go to an outage there are a couple of things that I do. 

1) The goal is to do a good enough job to be remembered and asked back for future outages, even if I don't care for the plant.  Never say never, the crappy plants don't usually stay crappy for ever.

2) Make new friends at every outage.  May sound shallow but the fact of the matter is, in this industry it is important to know people, as many people as possible.

3) Refer to 1 & 2, if you keep these as your goals, you will eventually start to build a snowball.

You have to hang in there, the future is bright and the payoff will be worth the effort.  One more thing, I believe that you have to love it to be happy in doing it.  This job comes with many inconveniences with the travel and sometimes unplanned time off etc.  If you don't love the job when you are working, leave it.  Don't get caught in the trap that many do and think that there isn't a good way to make a living doing something else...not true.  I hope you love it as I do.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #60 on: Feb 22, 2007, 05:10 »
Definition of jun·ior  (joon-yer)

adjective
Lower in rank or shorter in length of tenure: a junior officer; the junior senator.
Lesser in scale than the usual.

noun
A person lesser in rank or time of participation or service; subordinate.

As in any position, the junior must prove themselves worthy, before they can be upgraded to a higher level. In that time, they must do those menial tasks, and like the rest of us did, wait and wonder when they may get that next job, so they can get their required time in to move up to the next level. You have to shake the bushes and put your name in everyone's head and then they will start to say "Hey, that new junior really did a good job. We would like to have him back next outage".

So, sponge.....if you are doing the right things, and learning something new every day, you will start to get those accolades and those jobs that you want.

Peace, Brother

shovelheadred

« Reply #61 on: Feb 22, 2007, 08:30 »
...hey spankeee!!!..we know some jr's that did alot more to the site coordinator than marry him.....or her...now they are working ALARA....or site coordinator at Oconee....this business doesnt change since it started....there will always be ,,people that want to learn, and they will be called $#^%kissers,,ex-navy%$#^holes, deconners that worked their way to supervisor..like your brother....and then some drop dead blonde that is a bartender will date the coordinator,,get a job, cover one S/G jump and she is the best tech in the business, because she knows how to enter a bar tab on a computer, and thats about what remote coverage is now....remember SRPD's..and calculating jump times down to the second on December 31, and then at 0000, giving the jumper another 3 REM, yes 3 REM/quarter when I started...and circle bar W hired the Pagans to jump gnerators at Farley....as far as juniors,,there are good ones,,and there are some that are borne to it( and some of these are great people)...like most of you, I have worked with alot of juniors, and if they are not up to your standards as seniors, then it is your own fault, because they only know what you teach them...I worked Duke for alot of outages, Oconee didnt hire juniors...the other two did,,,havent worked an HP job in awhile, but I was at that Cook job last fall with AREVA,,and like the post said..."they had some good juniors covering the refuel group"....all I can say is,,without an ink pen...YOU ARE ALL JUNIORS............red

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #62 on: Feb 22, 2007, 08:57 »
Well said and to the point.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #63 on: Feb 22, 2007, 09:00 »
I wonder if that is why they call me "Uncle Bob"?......

What's up Spanky, are you enjoying Texas?
Yes definitely. The weather is finally decent which makes work a whole lot better. How's San Francisco?

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #64 on: Feb 22, 2007, 09:01 »
Or see Mike, he got me my first nuke job.
You da man, Bone.

illegalsmile

« Reply #65 on: Feb 23, 2007, 12:38 »
all I can say is,,without an ink pen...YOU ARE ALL JUNIORS............red
Just goes to show ya how much d'bidness has changed.....I can remember when an HP without a pen was a deconner  ;)

Offline BStella

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #66 on: Feb 23, 2007, 01:01 »
Just goes to show ya how much d'bidness has changed.....I can remember when an HP without a pen was a deconner  ;)

That's exactly what I was thinkin'   ;D

PEACE.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #67 on: Feb 23, 2007, 07:56 »

changed?  awh shoot.  maybe ware yinz ahre, butt out hare, iffen ya don't have a pen, eye don't care how many decades of experience ya got, eye wail still axe ya to git me sum mazzlyns or smeers or sumptin, 'cause yinz ain't surveying nuttin my crews or gonna werk on!  iffen ya stress me cause of my request, i'll axe yinz two right it down sew ya don't fergit.  usually, about dat time, da seenyore reelizes wutz up 'n leeves.  'n  eye yam roflmao!  'n i'll due it agin tomorrow, tu!
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #68 on: Feb 26, 2007, 08:07 »
Pens in the field are for people who can't remember things until they get back to the office to steal one to write down their surveys.  ;)
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Shawnee Man

• Moderate User
« Reply #69 on: Feb 27, 2007, 08:57 »
Thats why I have so many pens at home!

LaFeet

« Reply #70 on: Mar 24, 2007, 06:12 »
 I am curious.  How does a Junior maintain a valid documentation of their "time in".  Is there a slot in PADS for them??

If so, then they are screwed, because most plants have a difficult time finding their own PADS person.

I worked a D&D with a buttonne of juniors.  Our company provided training (not on the jrs time, or volunteered instructors) and their training folders were kept as leagal documents.  After they had sufficient time they were encouraged to take DOE Core and NUF like exams generated by their instructors.

Granted, not all passed on the first time.  And those in need of help received it.   An pay incentive was offered for those that passed.

After eight months, most juniors were upgraded to 18.1's.  Many went on to take positions at other D&D projects, DOE work and a few power plants.

All this was done with just a litte insight to the training process and successful documentation. 

A side note, each departing individual was handed a certified copy with references prior to moving on. 

I know it can work..... and we do need some new juniors to beat into submission.  Besides, I want to retire soon, and I cant until I get relieved. ;D

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #71 on: Mar 24, 2007, 07:58 »
Hang in there, your good for another 20 years.

Offline hoghunter

• Moderate User
  • I have often regretted my speech, never my silence
« Reply #72 on: Mar 25, 2007, 01:42 »
Who ever said life was easy. I started in 1981 as decon and  worked my way up, but I never did a job I didn't learn something. I picked up my first Jr job in 87, but after that when I put in for another I was told I didn't have enough time. I would go to job's and Jr's were straight off the street. DUKE power has gave me my time, but the reason Jr's are short on knowledge is due to power plant and Sr techs. ( some not all )treating Jr's like we  are so dumb. I will say I do have ALOT to learn. I admit there is more people these days that are more about the money then to learn the job and that hurts the ones that do. I can say I've been lucky. I've had some Sr. techs. to take under thier wings so to speak and help me to learn the RP ways. The list is to long to say names. I will always be thankfull. A Sr at ANO once told me if you go to go all the way and don't look back, but I can't forget where I came from,now it is just so hard to get in the time and learn, jobs are so much shorter and so far between. all I can say is I'm here to stay
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2007, 05:03 by RELLISON62 »
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand

LaFeet

« Reply #73 on: Mar 26, 2007, 06:36 »
Hang in there, your good for another 20 years.

The body might be,  but the mind is ahhhhh   is a  I forget :P

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?