Battelle Columbus

Above Average
10 (66.7%)
Average
1 (6.7%)
Below Average
4 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Battelle Lodging  (Read 28061 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Battelle Lodging
« on: Jan 28, 2003, 07:02 »
If anyone has lodging information for this facility, please post it here.
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2007, 11:16 by Camella Black »

Offline snowman

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
Re: Battelle
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2004, 12:55 »
I remember the first wave, and the second wave, and the third wave, etc. I worked at the BCLDP from May '92 to July '96, saw a lot of things there... good, bad and ugly! Started with Holmey and DDH, gave up the diem and stayed on with ARC when the contract was awarded to one company, rolled over to Bartlett when the checks started bouncing in '96. Never should have left, but glad I did. If ever there was a project you could write a book about, this one would be it. By the way Jimbo, the third company there in the per-diem days was RPM. How's that for a name out of the past? Anyway, a lot of great techs worked there who are no longer with us, go to the fallen friends section on this web site.  The Columbus, Ohio area had the best food for being in the middle of the country and Woody Hayes was a god to those people! Unlike a lot of sites I've worked since, this place was all rent-a-techs who liked to get together with each other and have a good time. How 'bout Fairweathers or Olentangy Inn on Fridays after work? Or, the campsite parties at the Trapper John campground on the Little Darby river. But, 12 years was a good run for some of those people there, and trust me, there won't be another one like it!  If any one knows, I'd like to know the names of techs who went down with the ship!!!!

Todd W.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
Battelle
« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2004, 11:28 »
If anyone has a favorite hang out, place to shop, or local information for this area please post it here.

moke

« Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2004, 09:07 »
Columbus is a great family town and there are many great places to eat at too.

Don Pablos near the King Avenue site is always a decent choice along with the great Burrito Shop on High St. near the OSU campus that serves a Burrito "As Big As Your Head!"

There are a few BW-3's in town as I would visit the loction on Bethel Road there in my former hometown of Dublin. There you will find some killer wings of many Flavors!

Up the road in Powell, OH there is an awesome sports club that is one of the finest places to view a sports match since they have great food and a pleasant environment. You may see professional athletes there from time to time.

To the west of Hilliard, OH and below Plain City, there is the infamous Der Dutchman Restaurant that serves hearty Dutch cuisine and their breads are great.

Down the road in the little town of West Jefferson there is a roadside reataurant named Henry's that is home of the best pies you will ever feast upon and the crust is great alone! It's where I learned to munch of pickled red beets.

The Meijer food store is a place that I miss dearly because the price and variety is hard to beat along with that one stop shopping situation. Cub food store was great too!

Near the town of Worthington is Hoggy's home of a great BBQ joint that is worth a try.

On the west side of town there is the best authentic Chinese restaurant that serves Dim Sum (chinese finger food) on the weekends; Shangrala.

Columbus is home to many micro breweries that serve up a great local flavor and also a great place to hangout at.

Nearby Cincinnati, OH and the town of Montgomery is home of the infamous Montgomery Inn that you must try if you are a BBQ lover. This place is Off the Chain!

Enjoy!

Moke 8)

radwst

« Reply #4 on: Apr 21, 2004, 01:50 »
The Starliner Diner is the best for texmex food.  It is is Hilliard on Cemetery Rd.  Also the North Market on Front St. downtown is a favorite place for hard to find items.  The Arena District has grown with Nationwide Arena there.  Bars and restuarants are of good flavor. 

Sports:  the AAA Columbus Clippers, farm team of the Yankees is always fun to watch  and watching the Columbus Crew play soccer is a great way to spend your afternoon or evening.

Racing season you have National Trails Raceway.

NukeWifeKW

« Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2004, 04:25 »
Sorry Moke, but we no longer have Cub Foods in Columbus.  They were bought out by Kroger.  We do have Giant Eagle though.

Great steaks, go to The Top over in Bexley.  Interest fusion cuisine, try Strada World Cuisine in the Arena District.  North Market is great.  You want good coffee?  Go to Stauf's Coffee Roasters in Grandview.  The best Mexican is at Cozymel's up by the Tuttle Crossing Mall.

The best burger in town?  Sorry guys, but that comes off of my grill out on the deck.  I'm just happy there is work going on at West Jeff...I get the hubby home at night.

moke

« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2004, 09:15 »
Thanks Nukewife,

Who is Nukehusband?

I forgot to mention warm Crispy Cream donuts and milk near Sawmill Road beside Golden Corral.

Have a Great Week!

Moke

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Apr 29, 2004, 10:15 »
Thanks Moke and Nukewife for some great posts, this is what I wanted to see.  :)

Offline Jill

• Senior HP, everybodies whippin' biach, the list goes on...
  • Light User
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2004, 01:32 »
The best burgers and chocolate shakes?  That would have to be Daddyo's!  Dang, of all the places, I think I miss that the most!  (BTW, its right donw' on 5th Ave., just before you get to Grandville).

Haz-Mater

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2004, 08:07 »
Jill,
Daddyo's has been replaced by Starbucks coffee, but I would have to agree that Daddyo's did have great burgers.  Also worth mentioning was another burger joint that went out of business 'Outback Burgers'. 

Offline Jill

• Senior HP, everybodies whippin' biach, the list goes on...
  • Light User
« Reply #10 on: Jul 26, 2004, 06:57 »
Dang, Starbucks?!  Like we don't have enough of those, geez!  I WANT MY DADDY-O'S!   How are you?  I might be trying to get back there, gotta call a couple of companies first.  Are you still there?  At W. Jeff?  Oh the days, I would be excited to go back...keep in touch!

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #11 on: Jul 26, 2004, 12:50 »
Jill, radwst, moke, and others: I need something that resembles Chicago pizza. Give me your best Columbus replica of a Chicago pizza.
« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2004, 11:34 by Camella Black »

NukeWifeKW

« Reply #12 on: Jul 26, 2004, 02:50 »
The closest thing to Chicago Style Pizza is UNO pizzeria and you can find that near the Tuttle Mall.  Take 270 North and get off at the Tuttle Crossing Exit.  Turn to your left.  You'll see it over on your left hand side, near the Wal-Mart and Best Buy.

If you want CPK (California Pizza Kitchen) you either need to head to the Polaris Mall or to Easton.  Polaris is closer to West Jefferson.  Again, take 270 N and you'll get off onto 71N.  It's the very next exit, turn left, the mall will be on your right hand side.

Anything else you need to find?

radwst

« Reply #13 on: Jul 27, 2004, 10:42 »
before i left there was a new piiza joint with chicago style pizza in hilliard in the big bear shopping center on rome hilliard road.  order what you want or buffet.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #14 on: Jul 27, 2004, 12:34 »
Thanks everyone for the tips.

At the risk of sounding too spoiled, you can only take so much Outback, Texas Roadhouse, Applebee's, and Schlotzky's.

NukeWifeKW

« Reply #15 on: Jul 28, 2004, 10:44 »
Dave,  You need to find some other places to eat, besides chain restaurants.  If you want great Mexican, try Cozymels by the Tuttle Mall, or go to El Vaquero on Riverside Drive.  Really interesting cuisine can be found in downtown Columbus at Strada World Cuisine (I recommend the Filet), or at one of Cameron Mitchell's restaurants (Columbus Fish Market, Cap City Diner, Molly Woo's, M @ Miranova, Mitchell's Steak House).  www.cameronmitchell.com  I believe is the web address.  You're not far from Grandview...go try Spaggio or Braddock's.  The best cup of coffee (and fresh beans) can be found at Stauf's Coffee Roasters.  Go try the Yard Club at O'Tooles in Hillard.  If you're up for a drive, you can go out a long way on Rt. 42 N and go to Walker Station Steakhouse.  They butcher their own locally raised Black Angus cattle and the food is pretty good.

What is it you're hungry for?

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #16 on: Jul 29, 2004, 09:24 »
Is there a Benihana's nearby? I want some steak and lobster.
How about a good hot dog joint?
We all go to the Easton Town Center for entertainment. The outdoor jazz concerts at Brio's are great.

NukeWifeKW

« Reply #17 on: Jul 30, 2004, 07:53 »
Wholly Joes up on Polaris Parkway is a good hotdog joint.  Also, try Phillips Coney Island on Broad Street. 

No Benihana's here.  Try Columbus Fish Market for good lobster.  They might have steaks too.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?