Duke Power

Above Average
6 (46.2%)
Average
3 (23.1%)
Below Average
4 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Duke Power  (Read 18091 times)

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Duke Power
« on: Oct 05, 2006, 08:44 »
I am looking for contacts at the three Duke plants.  I have seen a couple of Oconee people here but do not recall anyone from Mcguire or Catawba.  I would like to talk (Pm them if they prefer) about their company and sites. Looking to get info on how the work environment is and what suggestions they can make. I have talked to Hr people at two of the sites and both have said interviews/hiring is just around the corner.  Wonder if anyone can give pointers / help??

Thanks
Rob
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2006, 11:56 by Camella Black »
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
Re: Duke Power
« Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 2006, 11:57 »
Rob, I'm not sure what area you are from but I can give you some ideas of what the areas are like. I will also see if I can scare up a few people to give you some pointers.

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2006, 09:28 »
Thak you that would be helpful.  Actually my sister lives in Charlotte and I love the area , what I am really trying to find out is about Duke the company.  I already know that I want to move to Carolinias when I retire it is just the job situation I am working on now.  I have "heard" read some good things about Duke but would like to get input from people who have worked at the sites.  I know I will have to take some of it with a grain of salt but generally think I can get a good general impression.  Also hoping to find out what things I can do to help myself get in at the Duke plants.

Thank you
Rob
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2006, 10:38 by ChiefRocscooter »
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Duke Power
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2006, 12:43 »
Rate Duke Power

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
Duke Energy (Carolinas)
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2009, 01:43 »
Any info, the good, the bad, and the ugly?
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline Duke Nuker

• Retired Radiation Protection and Emergency Preparedness
  • Moderate User
  • Currently Fly Fishing
Re: Duke Energy (Carolinas)
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2009, 04:47 »
Try here:

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/board,72.0.html

You should be able to find what you are looking for.....
Is it time for coffee yet?

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2009, 07:46 »
I've read and re-read that thread many times.  Lots of info about the area and the outage work, but not alot about the company itself, the current work environment, etc.  At least not the kind of info I'm looking for.  Thanks though.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline Duke Nuker

• Retired Radiation Protection and Emergency Preparedness
  • Moderate User
  • Currently Fly Fishing
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2009, 09:21 »
Sorry dude,

I can't help you with the other stuff, I work for the competition.
Is it time for coffee yet?

Offline spentfuel

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2009, 11:32 »
Which plant what job ?

That does have somewhat to do with it

sf

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2009, 11:43 »
Ops preferably, but willing to consider others if it gets a foot in the door with ability to move into ops.
Catawba or Oconee.

Offline spentfuel

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2009, 01:08 »
Ops though out duke is treated fairly well.  Its some what regimental with the required initial training and continuing training annually.  Once an NLO reaches around 4 to 5 years in the plant and gets the prerequisites out of the way you may be selected for license class.  I have heard at times this selection is somewhat political if you know what I mean.  After some time as an Licensed RO you may be selected for SRO class.

I have worked in RP for Duke for some time and as a company I have not been overly satisfied but it pays the bills. 

As for the plants you mention.  Ever seen an Ice condenser ?????

The other issue with CNS is Duke does not own it,  they own part of it and operate it but a lot of the money calls come from the other owners and at least in my perspective has created a bit of an attitude about trying to get something improved.

Catawba does however seem to out preform Oconee on a more consistant basis at least with INPO

Hope that helps

sf

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2009, 09:34 »
Thanks for pulling this all together admin.
And thanks to the others for their replies. 
I had heard that Duke prefers to "grow their own," and this seems to confirm that.  4-5 years seems a bit excessive, but....what do I know?  Nothing.

Offline redline

• Moderate User
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2009, 08:11 »
Not to bash too hard on anyone here but...spentfuel sometimes gives less than acurate information regarding Duke...and that last post is a perfect example. It should be disregarded as uninformed and speculative opinion. I would be interested to know what his relationship is with the company?

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2009, 10:05 »
crickets

Fermi2

« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2009, 10:27 »
Four or Five years is actually a bit quick. I doubt politics have anything to do with it.
PM me.

Mike

Offline spentfuel

• Moderate User
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2009, 12:44 »
Not to bash too hard on anyone here but...spentfuel sometimes gives less than acurate information regarding Duke...and that last post is a perfect example. It should be disregarded as uninformed and speculative opinion. I would be interested to know what his relationship is with the company?

Jeez Louise then don't bash LOL

And whats your affiliation with Duke ??

Any response I give here is certainly in my opinion and should be understood as such

sf

tidus10

« Reply #16 on: Aug 04, 2009, 11:26 »
im just an outage worker but from my experiences there i love going to the two i have been to (McGuire and Catawba)
the plants are super small (ice condenser) but as long as your safe its nice place to be

great people, great schedule and personnel support

i cant wait to go back :-)

deelpickle

« Reply #17 on: Oct 21, 2009, 11:40 »
Ok, so Duke Power's website finally acknowledged my resume/application. The email I got was from Enterprise Staffing Services/Duke Power. Has Duke gone to a 3rd party contractor for their HR to evaluate applications before inviting people to take the POSS test? Also, if you meet the basic requirements, do they invite or do they still look at the resumes and try to decide who they will invite? Thanks for any info. If anybody actually works as a Duke Power employee at Catawba or McGuire, would love to hear any comments about this.

Stacey

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?