Catawba

Above Average
16 (55.2%)
Average
6 (20.7%)
Below Average
7 (24.1%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Catawba  (Read 45007 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Catawba
« on: Nov 30, 2002, 07:23 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.

Stephenwolf

Re: Talk About: Catawba
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2002, 08:51 »
I really enjoy working with all the Bartlett Core at the other techs at all three Duke sites. Good Group of people and good Bartlett Co-ordinators: Phil Kelley, Rick Smith and Bill Mc Cleod.  :) :)

jobsandwich

Just to clear up the Re: Talk About: Catawba
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2003, 02:10 »
Just to clear it up from the "Duke shaft" thread. Duke plants are now 11.5 for 12. Same hours less money

OriginalRemball

« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2003, 10:42 »
:P
I think we can all agree that it should have been put forth to all the incoming technicians that the work 12 and get paid 11.5 was the norm.  But trust me it was news to the regulars as well.  Overall Catawba and all of the Duke sites are some of the better places to work in the industry.

Offline lonelylady

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2003, 06:46 »
I like working Catawba, even though the cooling towers were a little bit colder work than I like.  I enjoyed working with the crew.

bob-the-builder

« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2003, 08:41 »
If you like low pay go for it , like i said low paying sonsuguns in the south. Me I`m going to Cali, SONGS to be exact look out Mexico lol.    

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2003, 05:39 »
rp consultant gig...i think they brought in one this outage to help manage some of the less experienced techs.

wotinell are the specs for that position?
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

JassenB

Re: Catawba
« Reply #7 on: Jul 26, 2004, 04:40 »
Just to clear it up from the "Duke shaft" thread. Duke plants are now 11.5 for 12. Same hours less money

What exactly is being done work-wise in that half hour? Lunch? Meetings? Or work-work?

I'm going to Catawba for the fall outage, and I'm just happy to have something short-term for a bit of money, but the pay does seem a little low. I assume the New England plants pay more.

-Jassen
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2004, 06:49 by JassenB »

ageoldtech

« Reply #8 on: Sep 18, 2004, 04:32 »
Catawba allways has been a good place to work, but it seems they forgot to do some planning for this one!!

jcstras

I May Be Down, But I'm not out
« Reply #9 on: Jun 19, 2005, 12:09 »
This past January when returning from four days of vacation, I was notified by Bartlett Nuclear that I had been terminated from my position of engineering consultant at Duke Power. The reason, they said, was improper internet usage and using the company phone for personal business. I had held this position for fifteen years at the Catawba facility under my own contract. Bartlett had been a competitor who was constantly trying to get this position for their own....as if the rest of the plant wasn't enough. I lost my contract in 1999 and was forced to go to work for Bartlett in order to stay at the Catawba facility. Soon afterward, I was transferred to the Calibration facility at the McGuire plant and there is where even more problems started. Apparantly, they didn't take too kindly to a "Vendor" coming there so they made it very clear that I was a "second class citizen" so to speak. I have had epilepsy for almost thirty years and this never seemed to be an issue at the Catawba facility, but it was brought up periodically at the calibration Lab. About eleven months ago, my wife and I decided to seperate which placed more stress on me which resulted in my having absence siezures. These siezures weren't serious, they would manifest themselves in my changing the subject in conversations, taking the wrong turn while driving, etc. But apparently this along with my age and the fact that I am a "vendor" and also the fact that I would not show the house people everything I knew about troubleshooting electronic circuitry all added up to my being a liability, I guess.
  well, on January 25th, Bartlett's Site co ordinator and district manager terminated me for Improper Internet usage. When I asked to be shown where I had gone on the Internet that was prohibited they refused to show me. I also informed them  that I had told my job sponsor about my phone calls and he had cleared them. Needless to say, the North Carolina Employment Securities Commission ruled in my favor this past week and found Bartlett to be neglegent  and has ordered them to pay me all of my unemployment due back to this past January.
  Now that's Bartlett. I am preparing a lawsuite against Duke Power Company on the grounds of Wrongful Termination and age Discrimination. Wish me luck. I am sure that I am going to need it. I have been at Duke for nineteen years and have seen how they abuse their employees and the contractors that come there also. I am sick of it and I plan to try do my part to bring these people to account for the things that they have done.

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
  • I was liberal as a youth then I had to pay taxes..
Re: I May Be Down, But I'm not out
« Reply #10 on: Jun 21, 2005, 01:33 »
...Needless to say, the North Carolina Employment Securities Commission ruled in my favor this past week and found Bartlett to be neglegent  and has ordered them to pay me all of my unemployment due back to this past January...

Sorry to rain on your parade JC but I find myself compelled to step in and make a couple if corrections...

1st off Bartlett was not found "negligent" of anything, you were found to be eligible to collect unemployment compensation

2nd Bartlett was not ordered to pay you anything, The North Carolina Employment Securities Commission has allowed you to collect unemployment from them

as I said just a couple of corrections.

Eric Bartlett
The opinions & views expressed by me are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of the company.

Melrose

« Reply #11 on: Jun 21, 2005, 02:13 »
Sorry to rain on your parade JC but I find myself compelled to step in and make a couple if corrections...

1st off Bartlett was not found "negligent" of anything, you were found to be eligible to collect unemployment compensation

2nd Bartlett was not ordered to pay you anything, The North Carolina Employment Securities Commission has allowed you to collect unemployment from them

Eric Bartlett

Owwwww

Game..... Set.... Point

Nice backhand E!   ;)

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #12 on: Jun 23, 2005, 12:05 »

Eric Bartlett

As Paul Harvey would say, "and now you know the rest of the story."  Thanks for telling us the other side Eric.  Too bad Fair and Balanced is taken for a slogan. 
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline Showme T. Money

• Light User
  • Senior HP Tech
« Reply #13 on: Aug 29, 2005, 09:48 »
PLACE WAS TERRIBLE, BEEN THERE 2 TIMES HATED BOTH TIMES.  A COUPLE OF GOOD CORE/HOUSE TECHS BUT DONT SEE MYSELF GOING BACK ANY TIME SOON.  3 OF MY FRIENDS WERE FIRED THERE IN ONE OUTAGE FOR USING "POTTY MOUTH LANGUAGE".  IT WAS A JOKE!!!

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #14 on: Aug 29, 2006, 09:05 »
Ok I sent my resume to Ops manager today and he sent a polite reply and included that he asked steff to fwd to the other two Duke plants.  Standard practice to answer politely likely, to add that you are fwding to other plants that is extra and shows an interst in helping people and his company.  This make me all the more hopeful that this is the kind of plant I can land in!

Rob
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

McBride

« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2008, 08:00 »
Well, I got the call yesterday and will interview tomorrow at Catawba for the Learner Operator position.  So, what do you guys like best about Duke /  Catawa, and what do you like least?

What is life like there?  I would assume most of the folks live in the Charlotte area?

Thanks,
McBride

Offline rocknrollrick

• Moderate User
  • PAYING THE COST TO BE THE BOSS!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2008, 12:28 »
I spent many years in the Duke System and I would say Catawba was my favorite.
As far as living down there, you'll find that you'll want to stay in South Carolina. You get more house for the money,property taxes are cheaper and so is insurance. Both states have vehicle property tax which can get pricey depending on what you drive. It goes by value and year, also goes on boats,motorcycles,and RV's. Lot of new housing in area but best bang for the dollar is ex sisting. ;D Hope this helped you a little ;D
Early to bed, 13 hours on nights, makes you tired, wealthy and a night crawler!!!!

Offline gravy58

• Light User
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2008, 03:46 »
Catawba is a good place to work. The people are nice, they feed ya well every outage and the cost of renting is cheap. With that said, rent has to be low because the pay is low (20/85).

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2008, 03:50 »
Well, I got the call yesterday and will interview tomorrow at Catawba for the Learner Operator position.  So, what do you guys like best about Duke /  Catawa, and what do you like least?

What is life like there?  I would assume most of the folks live in the Charlotte area?

Thanks,
McBride
[/quote

22 years ago I met my future ex-wife there. The people were very friendly but eventually they turn on you and ruin your life........did I say that out loud? Seriously it was one of the better plants to work. I was in rad con then. Don't know much about Ops there

JavaJoe

« Reply #19 on: Jun 03, 2009, 09:05 »
Have worked all three Duke plants and I think it's easy to choose.  Catawba has a lot of great people both Bartlett and Duke.  Previous RP supervisors were great and honest with you.  Current one is a little scattered brained and always seems to not have any answers.  Tex Williams is the current site Coord. and he is top shelf.  True Catawba works you 12 and pays only 11.5 but McGuire works 12.5 and pays 12.  People generally can get around this with a work thru lunch so long as it's remotely true.  Just the way Duke does business.  Oconee is good as well but unless your kissing their RP supervisors a$$ you'll be shipped out on the first lay off which this past spring was day 16 of 30.  People always bitch about Catawba's hours to start outage but rarely see them turn down a 2 day off during the outage.

Content1

« Reply #20 on: Jun 03, 2009, 11:32 »
Everyone has forgot the main problem with Catawba, the small containment.  It is so small I had to go outside to change my mind.   Everything else is minor in comparison.   The best thing about Catawba is the friendly people in the South, nothing ton do with how it is run.  You could leave a wallet out with $100 bills hanging out and it would not get touched.  Try that in New York.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #21 on: Sep 09, 2009, 05:29 »
Earlier I read on Wikipedia that Catawba had plans to install a concrete moat for security purposes. This seems pretty far fetched to me, but way to entertaining for me to ignore entirely. I was hoping there was somebody from the plant (or Duke's corporate office possibly?) that could either confirm or lay this rumor to rest. Also, does anyone know if they have plans to use the moat as a dual purpose lazy river?

Thanks for your time.

Security features: If you have to ask, you don't need to know.

sdcanukewanab

Duke NEO Hirings 2010
« Reply #22 on: Feb 24, 2010, 05:49 »
Is there anyone on the board waiting to hear back from Duke for their upcoming NEO/NOLs hires.  I interviewed at Catawba back in October.  Just wondering if I'm the only one on the board waiting.  I know they are getting close to sending out offers and thanks but no thanks notices.   

Offline shipoffools

• Light User
« Reply #23 on: Jun 18, 2010, 09:49 »
Just to give these last two posts a "bump"

The job posting indicated that the position(s) would start between 3/2010 and 7/2010 -  curious if anyone has heard anything

JavaJoe

« Reply #24 on: Nov 15, 2010, 10:27 »
Just to give these last two posts a "bump"

The job posting indicated that the position(s) would start between 3/2010 and 7/2010 -  curious if anyone has heard anything
From what I have heard the technicians positions haven't been filled.  They hired 3 supervisors to replace leaving/moving up to other positions.  Now they have to fill the three tech positions and 2 supervisor positions that opened up by the previously mentioned supervisors getting new gigs.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?