Monticello

Above Average
14 (45.2%)
Average
6 (19.4%)
Below Average
11 (35.5%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Monticello  (Read 59365 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Monticello
« on: Nov 30, 2002, 07:47 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Monticello
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2002, 09:30 »
Talk About: Monticello

Offline imbucky

• Light User
Re: Monticello
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2005, 04:17 »
What is going on at Monti?
They are doing call outs here at Point Beach to see if anyone is interested in going to Monti for "7-10 days".
I guess it won't take anytime to inprocess?  ::) From what I've seen travelling between NMC plants as a Tech you don't just "walk in the door...hey! Where's my meter!" :P
From what we've heard so far is that people are out because of medical reasons. People getting hurt up there or what?

Good Luck!!!! We're headed into an outage in how many days?!?

Bucky
Life is NOT like a box of chocolates.

It's more like a jar of Jalapenos....what you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.......

Oly

« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2005, 09:38 »
Aging workforce, understaffed........ you know the deal already. How's it goin'? When will you be here in the well?

Offline imbucky

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2005, 08:50 »
Understaffed? Sounds familiar? :-X "We'll just have to do what we can do for the Picture of Excellence" Right?  ;)

Just be carefull not to make a mistake......

Doubt if we are gonna be there? The NMC says that the Conus rate is $80/day for perdium? Must have their own rates somewhere when GSA says it's ~$156? We're already working 10's here so we should travel for 2 hours of OT and pull less perdium than the contractors?

Must not cost as much for a house puke to travel? Are they issuing the Junior discount cards again and we don't know about it? ;D

Maybe we could get this ACEMAN guy to swing a meter?!?

Anyways, Good Luck in the Well!!!

Life is NOT like a box of chocolates.

It's more like a jar of Jalapenos....what you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.......

klsas

« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2005, 02:02 »
To my friends at Monty,

Yes, I am alive and well. A couple of my medications reacted and and the symptoms really messed up the Big Lake community hospital. I am about back to normal and am expecting to be back on the 28th. I will miss those heading to DAEC but will see you down the road soon. I apologize for making the shortage of techs worse and the RX building techs for having to carry me this outage while I have been out. See you soon.

Keith
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2005, 02:06 by klsas »

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 12, 2006, 08:18 »
Been a while but the Zoo was the place in 80-81.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Apr 14, 2006, 12:27 »
These folks had their sh-t together. St. Clouds a great area.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2006, 01:31 »
You know it's gonna be cold when the parking lot has outlets for block heaters. But the folks was nice, the town was close, and I hadda good time.
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline DecommMan

• Leave the Decommissioning to us.
  • Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2006, 01:36 »
Nice - in the summer.
Decomm Man

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2006, 05:25 »
Pack a lunch.  It's close to town, but not close enough, and there's no cafeteria on site.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Cathy

« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2006, 01:07 »
No outlets anymore since contractors can not park near the plant and must hike in.

Hike is an understatement!!! Nothing like walking in the dark, sliding on snow and ice in below zero weather, and if you are lucky the freezing wind won't be blowing!! It is absolutely miserable and not necessary. Many mornings I walked past tons of empty parking spaces closer to the plant. The contractors have to park well away from the plant and half the walk in was through empty parking lots.

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
  • Stop Talking, Just Do It!!!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2007, 01:36 »
Does anyone know what happened yesterday at Monticello and if it's going to affect the upcoming outage?

Thanks,
Lorrie

Charles U Farley

« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2007, 05:20 »
Does anyone know what happened yesterday at Monticello and if it's going to affect the upcoming outage?

Thanks,
Lorrie

From Twincities.com

Monticello nuclear plant shut down; No threat to safety, officials say
BY DENNIS LIEN
Pioneer Press
The Monticello nuclear power plant remained shut down today, a week after a control box broke free from a support beam and caused a drop in steam pressure, federal and plant officials said.

The 35,000-pound box fell eight inches to a foot and landed on top of several steam lines, resulting in a loss of steam pressure and the automatic shutdown of the plant's nuclear reactor, according to Jan Strasma, a spokesman for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

The incidents occurred outside the reactor, resulted in no loss of radiation, and represented no threat to public safety, according to Strasma and Arline Datu, a spokeswoman for Nuclear Management Co., which manages the Monticello and Prairie Island nuclear plants for Xcel Energy.

"All of the reactor safety systems functioned as designed,'' Strasma said.

Datu said it's unclear when the 612-megawatt plant will start up again. "We are working around the clock to complete the evaluation,'' Datu said. "We're trying to get the plant online as soon as possible.''

Typically, such shutdowns, which are done periodically at plants for maintenance, have no impact on customers.

The last time such a maintenance problem caused an automatic shutdown at the plant northwest of the Twin Cities was four years ago, according to Datu.

Strasma said early indications suggest that a combination of vibration and inadequate welding caused the problem.

Last fall, Xcel's license for the plant, which began operating in 1970, was renewed until 2030.

Offline indoprime

• HP on a stick
  • Moderate User
  • You got two choices..deal with it, or deal with it
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2007, 01:46 »
I'm heading to Monticello for the upcoming outage....can someone tell me about a good place to live? Nice places to eat? Etc?  I've never been there, so I'm looking forward to getting back on the road.
Excuses are tools of the incompetent which create monuments of nothingness, Those who specialize in their uses seldom achieve anything.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2007, 10:42 »
Hike is an understatement!!! Nothing like walking in the dark, sliding on snow and ice in below zero weather, and if you are lucky the freezing wind won't be blowing!! It is absolutely miserable and not necessary. Many mornings I walked past tons of empty parking spaces closer to the plant. The contractors have to park well away from the plant and half the walk in was through empty parking lots.
I know of several person that have fallen on the ice and been hurt there. Unnecessarily!

klsas

« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2007, 02:40 »
March weather: same as February weather. Cold, probably snow, ice, long walk from the parking lot. The wind always blows in your face, whether coming or going. It is a great place to work though. I wanted to go back this time, but scheduling precluded it. Try to work for Dusty, you will have a good time. I stayed in Monticello, only about 5 - 10 minutes from the plant. Best Western had an awesome breakfast buffet.

Keith

shovelheadred

« Reply #17 on: Mar 08, 2007, 09:05 »
....Hey Spankee....you didnt say anything about this 24" of snow...a winter wonderland...this redneck, has been below freezin for over 30 days...you gotta,,,,"HBO"...helpabrotherout.....send me some a that south carolina sunshine...cant complain about it..I chose this part of the nuclear world this spring....so I am gonna ....rideitallthewaytothebank. ..........red

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: Mar 08, 2007, 09:12 »
Don't worry Red, it will thaw about May. Still in Texas, 75 sultry degrees....

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #19 on: Mar 09, 2007, 09:25 »
Even better today, 78 sunny degrees!

shovelheadred

« Reply #20 on: Mar 26, 2007, 10:51 »
....well, it warmed up, 75 degrees today....a little bone-us problem I do believe.....

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #21 on: Mar 27, 2007, 09:23 »
Just a tease.....

Offline Jack U. Loyd

• Light User
« Reply #22 on: Mar 29, 2007, 12:02 »
Hey George W ,

Hows my finance advisor?

sos !!!  Short staffed as usual......Selective bonus rumours abound....Level one tech BS...
the usual crap...........the house side rocks though.....Atlantic Is precisely why I got off the road ...as old as I am I just could'nt work for kids anymore....level ones Rock!

Offline Dustball

• Moderate User
  • -40F Keeps out the RiffRaff
« Reply #23 on: Feb 21, 2008, 02:09 »
6 New RP positions now open at Monticello.  Check out Xcel Energy's website for job posting information.  Have to apply within the next two weeks.

JsonD13

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2008, 11:06 »
There are another 6 new jobs posted for RP techs again.  As an outsider (this is my disclaimer of ignorance) it looks like they are possibly looking for the same 6 positions as in February.  Anyone have any insight to how its going up there?  I could possibly be getting out of the Navy in a few months (medical dishcarge) and I would like to know why they keep having to rehire for these jobs.

P.S.  Monti is my preferable place of employment because its closest to where I call home ;-)

Jason

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?