Grand Gulf

Above Average
13 (23.6%)
Average
17 (30.9%)
Below Average
25 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Grand Gulf  (Read 112114 times)

TarHeelBred

Getting Into Grand Gulf
« Reply #75 on: Mar 16, 2009, 04:58 »
Hey guys. I've been reading for a bit and figured I'd ask a question or two about Grand Gulf.

I recently interviewed, and was curious how the plant was, how the surrounding area is, and how I can get back in touch with some of the guys I met while there.

I had a late interview and was short on time because I had to catch my flight back to Jackson. Anyhow, I hope to hear back soonish about it.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2009, 05:41 by Nuclear NASCAR »

Offline STF

• Light User
Re: Grand Gulf
« Reply #76 on: Mar 17, 2009, 08:22 »
I applied for an Instructor position there last month.  Wish I could hear something :)

clcartwr

« Reply #77 on: Mar 17, 2009, 08:29 »
Haven't heard of anything.  I've applied for three positions through Entergy.  One is a reject and the other two have been in "route" status for about 2 months.  They called and asked for my POSS test results since I had taken in for TVA a few months back but haven't heard anything since.

TarHeelBred

« Reply #78 on: Mar 24, 2009, 07:28 »
I finally got word back... I had to call them myself, though. I'll be starting on April 20th, which isn't too far away and I need to find a place to live, pack my stuff up, and get down there. Ugh.

The head of HR at Grand Gulf just had to have a pretty major surgery from what I hear, which is why things got slowed down. If you are waiting, you might want to give them a call.

Now, on to the house hunt...

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #79 on: Mar 24, 2009, 08:29 »
I finally got word back... I had to call them myself, though. I'll be starting on April 20th, which isn't too far away and I need to find a place to live, pack my stuff up, and get down there. Ugh.

The head of HR at Grand Gulf just had to have a pretty major surgery from what I hear, which is why things got slowed down. If you are waiting, you might want to give them a call.

Now, on to the house hunt...

Verify flood plain / location for housing - you'd be surprised what floods in that area in the springtime....
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
« Reply #80 on: Mar 24, 2009, 10:06 »
Verify flood plain / location for housing - you'd be surprised what floods in that area in the springtime....

Thats for sure..  A few years after I left there I saw my old apartment on TV---with water halfway up the door.  High ground is important around there
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

TarHeelBred

« Reply #81 on: Mar 25, 2009, 02:46 »
Haha, thanks for the info. I'll make sure to ask. Any good realtor to get in touch with down there? I don't have much time to find a place and move before the job starts...

lawn40

Grand Gulf Help
« Reply #82 on: Nov 04, 2010, 01:42 »
I need some help if anybody can get it for me. I recently got a call from Grand Gulf for an AO posistion but my stupid phone messed up on me and I can't retrieve the number to call him back, if anybody has any contact info that would be great.

tselby

Re: Grand Gulf Help
« Reply #83 on: Nov 04, 2010, 05:17 »
I need some help if anybody can get it for me. I recently got a call from Grand Gulf for an AO posistion but my stupid phone messed up on me and I can't retrieve the number to call him back, if anybody has any contact info that would be great.

do they have your email, if not lesson number 1 always give a potential employer multiple ways to be able to get in contact with you.

pm incoming i work for entergy
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2010, 05:20 by UGA Das Bulldog »

Offline Neutron_Herder

• SRO / STA
  • Moderate User
Re: Grand Gulf Help
« Reply #84 on: Nov 04, 2010, 06:31 »

If you still need help contacting them send me a PM.  I work at Grand Gulf and can try to find out who's making the calls.
"If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking" - Gen. George S. Patton

s3n3ta1

« Reply #85 on: Nov 21, 2010, 04:49 »
Just applied for the vacant AO position.  How is the area around the plant?

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #86 on: Nov 21, 2010, 05:45 »

Very Very Southern - It may be a culture shock to you if you are from up North.

But the cost of living is reasonable, the weather is nice, fishing is great, food too,and if you like blues, it's the capital...

Good luck
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Neutron_Herder

• SRO / STA
  • Moderate User
« Reply #87 on: Nov 21, 2010, 06:49 »

As has been said, the plant itself is located in a very rural area.  The closest city is Vicksburg.  Depending on where you're coming from you might not consider Vicksburg a city at all, but more like a small town.

For travel times you're looking at a 30 to 40 minute drive from Vicksburg depending on where you live.  Natchez is about 45 to 60 minutes away, and Jackson is right around an hour drive.  If you're living in the city now, Jackson will have the things you're used to as far as chain restaurants, movie theaters, etc.

I live in Vicksburg, and can tell you that I really like it here.  It's a neat town, and we're situated where weekend trips to New Orleans, Dallas, Shreveport, Memphis, and Atlanta aren't out of the question.  Maybe a three day weekend to make the trip for some of them worth it, but none of them is more than 6ish hours away.

The cost of living is very reasonable.  I'm paying $800 a month for a three bedroom apartment until I finish license class...  The same apartment where I used to live (Hampton Roads, VA) would have cost well above 1,000 a month.  Houses are much cheaper than what I was used to also.

If you have a wife that works (especially in the medical field), then there's plenty of jobs in the V-burg area.  If you have kids though, I'd pay special attention to the school districts around here...  On average they're not the best, but there are exceptions.

If you're coming from the North expect some culture shock.  It's DEFINITELY not the Northeastern part of the US.  That's not a bad thing though!

I can go on and on, but I won't.  If you have any questions about the area or the plant feel free to PM me.

Jay
"If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking" - Gen. George S. Patton

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
« Reply #88 on: Nov 23, 2010, 02:53 »
I was a house HP there years ago.  Knew it was time for me to go when I started conjugating the verb "to be" as I be, we be and they be .   ;D

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #89 on: Nov 23, 2010, 03:31 »
I was a house HP there years ago.  Knew it was time for me to go when I started conjugating the verb "to be" as I be, we be and they be .   ;D

...and that changed when you moved to Lower Alabama???

[stir]

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
« Reply #90 on: Nov 23, 2010, 04:03 »
...and that changed when you moved to Lower Alabama???

[stir]

Good point.. [dowave]

s3n3ta1

« Reply #91 on: Nov 30, 2010, 11:09 »
Very Very Southern - It may be a culture shock to you if you are from up North.

But the cost of living is reasonable, the weather is nice, fishing is great, food too,and if you like blues, it's the capital...

Good luck
Southern is what I'm used to as I am from Arkansas and have lived here and South Texas (STP area) for most of my life. 

Offline RCSmith

• Very Lite User
« Reply #92 on: Jun 12, 2011, 09:58 »
I see that Grand Gulf has 13 SRO (or CRS, as it is listed on the website) positions available with an application deadline of 6/30/11. Can anyone tell me when that class starts? I plan to be on terminal from the Navy at the beginning of November and am interested in working at GG, but if the class starts before then I'm out of luck. Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline Neutron_Herder

• SRO / STA
  • Moderate User
« Reply #93 on: Jun 13, 2011, 06:30 »
I see that Grand Gulf has 13 SRO (or CRS, as it is listed on the website) positions available with an application deadline of 6/30/11. Can anyone tell me when that class starts? I plan to be on terminal from the Navy at the beginning of November and am interested in working at GG, but if the class starts before then I'm out of luck. Thanks in advance for any help.

I think that class is supposed to start GFES in September...  I'll check tomorrow and let you know.

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #94 on: Jun 13, 2011, 09:40 »

I think you would be ok.  Once the application period closes, we start interviewing and you have to be onsite 6 months prior to class.  We are looking for quality applicants that are motivated and willing to live in MS. Not someone coming in to get a license and leave.

Offline RCSmith

• Very Lite User
« Reply #95 on: Jun 14, 2011, 07:39 »
Thanks for the reply jams. If I were hired at GG I would plan on staying there. Vicksburg is just under four hours away from home, which is perfect. Close enough to visit the family you like, but far enough away that the crazy ones don't show up on your doorstep! I'll revamp my resume and apply.

Offline RCSmith

• Very Lite User
« Reply #96 on: Jun 14, 2011, 08:28 »
Neutron_Herder, I didn't see your post earlier. Thanks for checking into that class for me.

Offline Neutron_Herder

• SRO / STA
  • Moderate User
« Reply #97 on: Jun 14, 2011, 05:52 »
From what I got today, they are starting GFES in Sept.  That being said, it can't hurt to apply and see what happens.

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #98 on: Jun 14, 2011, 08:56 »
Thanks for the reply jams. If I were hired at GG I would plan on staying there. Vicksburg is just under four hours away from home, which is perfect. Close enough to visit the family you like, but far enough away that the crazy ones don't show up on your doorstep! I'll revamp my resume and apply.

That is the way it is for us as well. Sorry, I had the GFES info wrong, but if you are interested in training the training manager said to get your resume in, they are looking for instructors.  PM me if you want.

craigbigmac

grand gulf
« Reply #99 on: Dec 09, 2011, 09:25 »
i need info for grand gulf  like what carpenters local it is so i can call and get on the list

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?